Cristiano Ronaldo - Performances (wums will be thread banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanGaalEra

fecking disease my father in law died after 11 years fighting and at the end he refused the oxygen mask and the family stayed on his side in the hospital for 20 minutes watching him dying, my wife's way stronger than me I couldn't watch my dad die like that.
I don't know much about it, I have heard it's a terrible disease though. Sorry to hear about your father in law.

Lostie007

Ronnies contract with Real Madrid is due to expire in 2018 so a year in January (5 months) he is free to negotiate with other teams for a bonanza free transfer. And another huge payday for him and Mendes again !:drool::lol:

If that was us leaving re-negotiations with Ronaldo until that late our fans would be fuming.

You'd think they'd want to tie him up until he retires as he doesn't look like slowing down.

Maybe he will retire on Sunday from Portugal if he wins the Euros? Say look job done I've done what no other Portuguese has ever done put me on the highest pedestal ! And fade off into the sunset an even bigger legend as its always about him.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-the-revenant-portugal-france-euro-2016-final

In the autumn of 2002, when some unwise people suggested Sir Alex Ferguson was over the hill, the great Hugh McIlvanney sounded a note of caution. “The most crazily virulent of his denouncers have been telling him he is lucky to be holding on to his job,” wrote McIlvanney in the Sunday Times. “Maybe they should make sure he is properly buried before devoting themselves too gleefully to dancing on his grave. He could be a pretty awkward revenant.”

That last phrase has regularly sprung to mind in recent weeks, and not only because of the omnipresent DVD of Leonardo DiCaprio’s Oscar-winning portrayal of a Brian Kilcline lookalike. The main reason is that Cristiano Ronaldo has become the awkward revenant of Euro 2016. In the group stages, when he absurdly denounced Iceland’s “small mentality” and missed a penalty against Austria, his critics did a lot more to his grave than just dance on it.

There was little wrong with questioning whether Ronaldo was past his best; when a sportsman reaches 30, it is human nature to look for signs that he has lost his nip. But the sneering, celebratory tone of much of the criticism, as well as lacking empathy, felt ill-advised. A lot of people could be foaming with impotent rage on Sunday. Schadenfreude can be a boomerang, especially when it involves sportsmen with the mental strength and relentlessness of Ronaldo. He has redefined WE Hickson’s old proverb: if at 42nd you don’t succeed, try, try, try again.

Ronaldo’s belief is perhaps his greatest quality. Yet even he must have wondered whether he would have another chance to win a major tournament with Portugal. At the age of 19 he played in the defeat to Greece in the final of Euro 2004, missing a decent late chance and breaking down in tears after the game. Since then there have been two semi-finals, in the 2006 World Cup and at Euro 2012, but Portugal’s miserable World Cup campaign two years ago suggested a team in decline. They came to this tournament with a 38-year-old geriatrico in defence and a strikerless, wingerless formation that looks like a mushroom and with about as much cutting edge most of the time. They have been dependent on moments of brilliance from Ronaldo, most notably against Wales and Hungary. And while he certainly hasn’t lorded over the tournament like Diego Maradona during Mexico 86, he has still scored three and made three.

Amusingly enough, Ronaldo’s chance of completing his CV by winning Euro 2016 is in no small part down to Iceland demonstrating more than a small mentality. When they were hanging on at 1-1 in their final group game, knowing a goal for Austria would put them out, they still had enough positive intent to counterattack and score a winner. That bumped Portugal down to third in the group and meant their run to the final was Croatia, Poland and Wales rather than England, France and Germany.

If Portugal win their first major trophy on Sunday, and particularly if Ronaldo plays a significant part, it will strengthen the argument that he, rather than Lionel Messi or Zinedine Zidane, is the greatest player since Maradona, and that he is the greatest European footballer of all time. It is true that international football does not ache with quite the same importance of old, but to many eyes it is still the ultimate. Mario Götze will never be a Pointless answer.

It is hard to overestimate what it would mean for Portugal to win their first international trophy (no, we’re not counting the Fifa World Cup Most Entertaining Team award for 2006, especially as they scored one goal in three knockout games). That they have been one of the less exciting teams to reach a European Championship final may bother the increasingly garrulous football snobs, but it probably won’t have much historical significance. If they win, Ronaldo’s medal will say “Uefa Euro 2016, France”, not “Uefa Euro 2016, France, where Portugal were a sedative and Ronaldo upset Iceland a bit”.

The timing of a victory would barely be sweeter, given Messi’s recent personal and professional problems. The debate over who is the best has become almost tediously emotive. The endless capacity for geeky discussions and lists of this nature, a happy place for post-Hornby men everywhere, is one of the billions of things that has been compromised by inescapable internet cranks whose disposition makes Livia Soprano seem happy-go-lucky by comparison. Sitting on the fence is becoming a virtue.

I’d be more comfortable putting Ronaldo above Messi than above the late Johan Cruyff, simply because they play in the same era. You can make a legitimate argument either way, but the case for Ronaldo is that he has outlasted Messi, who has been in relative decline since 2013; that he has overcome far greater adversity and ill-will; and that he has achieved as much despite playing in relatively inferior teams.

It is harder to compare Ronaldo and Messi to the all-time greats of the past. Cruyff, Maradona and Pelé played a different sport. The two main reasons – smooth pitches and the fact GBH is no longer punishable with only a yellow card – make it hard to know what contemporary achievements are worth in old money. Instinct suggests Maradona is the greatest because of what he did with Argentina and Napoli, but you would do well to create an unanswerable case.

We can say two things with reasonable certainty, however. The widespread dislike of Ronaldo means he does not always get the credit he deserves for his astonishing career; and if Portugal win Euro 2016 on Sunday, he is going to be one seriously awkward revenant.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Good read, but do people agree that "...the case for Ronaldo is that he has outlasted Messi, who has been in relative decline since 2013"? Messi hasn't produced the same statistics since 2013, maybe, but I haven't noticed a decline in his influence.
Naah, don't think 'outlasted' is right word.

Revan

Assumptionman
He is 31 years old and against all odds became an integral part to Portugal going all the way to the Finals of a very prestigious tournamen. IfPortugal win Sunday enough for Ballon D Or?
Yep. If he doesn't, then the Ballon D'or should be between Griezmann and Suarez.

Revan

Assumptionman
Runners up in the Euros + CL and a good start to the season could also be enough to win it.
Winner of Euros and runners up of UCL and a good start of season for Griezmann can be enough for him too.

Especially considering that he has been very good in big matches (not in UCL final though).

SirAF

Ageist
Winner of Euros and runners up of UCL and a good start of season for Griezmann can be enough for him too.

Especially considering that he has been very good in big matches (not in UCL final though).
Definitely, will be close.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Yep. If he doesn't, then the Ballon D'or should be between Griezmann and Suarez.
So what about Messi? Winner of La Liga and runners up of Copa and good start of season should also be considered as main contender?

Revan

Assumptionman
So what about Messi? Winner of La Liga and runners up of Copa and good start of season should also be considered as main contender?
He hasn't been the best player in his team this season, ao personally I don't think that he should get it.

Mal donaghy

fecking disease my father in law died after 11 years fighting and at the end he refused the oxygen mask and the family stayed on his side in the hospital for 20 minutes watching him dying, my wife's way stronger than me I couldn't watch my dad die like that.
Condolences pal,

Mal donaghy

I think Ronaldo is not very graceful in defeat and sulks a lot, that's why folk think messi has more class, and the whole "Michael Jackson" scenario how he had his son is strange, (mail order baby) a ballon dor winner should be a role model on and off the pitch, he comes across as strange :wenger:

I think Ronaldo is not very graceful in defeat and sulks a lot, that's why folk think messi has more class, and the whole "Michael Jackson" scenario how he had his son is strange, (mail order baby) a ballon dor winner should be a role model on and off the pitch, he comes across as strange :wenger:
Strange? This post is the pure essence of "strange".

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
He is 31 years old and against all odds became an integral part to Portugal going all the way to the Finals of a very prestigious tournamen. IfPortugal win Sunday enough for Ballon D Or?
Ballon d'Or is basically decided on whose team does best so he'll definitely get it if they win.

Suarez should get it but I have as much chance as him...

SirAF

Ageist
:lol: :rolleyes:

NM

Why does a Ballon D'or winner have to be a role model off the pitch?

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Why does a Ballon D'or winner have to be a role model off the pitch?
Aye, and when you think about it, he acts very well outside the pitch; no boozing, many stories of him helping the less fortunate, haven't really heard anything negative with regards to his off-the-field behavior. What happened with having a kid and the mom of the kid not being around is something we have no clue about, it's private. Don't want to compare, but as a reply to @Mal donaghy - Messi with his tax scemes has very little class in my eyes.

He hasn't been the best player in his team this season, ao personally I don't think that he should get it.
Ronaldo wasn't Madrids best player, atleast not in UCL and he hasn't been Portugals either.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
:( A horrible sight.

Full respect to Pogba...

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman
Ronaldo wasn't Madrids best player, atleast not in UCL and he hasn't been Portugals either.
He was Madrid's best player and was by far their best player in UCL.

He also was good for Portugal when they needed him most.

FujiVice

He's on 10s of millions a year. Yet he's still in tears over this game he loves so much. Got to feel for him. There's a lot of love for the sport in Ronaldo. That often gets forgotten.

OL29

I don't get why people in the match thread are acting shocked that some were disappointed to see Ronaldo go off.
People still get emotional over Gazza's tears at the 90 World Cup and he missed it due to his own reckless tackling.

I don't really get the anti Ronaldo sentiment from many in here; I know some people are ott in their adoration for him but with that being said it's not a surprise really seeing as he was our best player in our most successful era. It's always the same posters with a negative obsession with him as well- somewhat like jilted ex lovers.

Status
Not open for further replies.