g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Cristiano Ronaldo - Performances (wums will be thread banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Nowadays Ronaldo has Kroos and Modric. Nice passers to get fed by. In United he had Rooney, Tevez, Carrick etc.
In the other hand Iniesta was the main man in Spain too, where there was no Messi, not even a great goalscorer to feed. He of course had Xavi.
All good players, but hardly in the pantheon of Pep's Barca who are one of the greatest club sides ever.

In any case, this isn't an Iniesta is GOAT thread. Its a Ronaldo performances (wums will be thread banned) thread, so lets get back on topic.

El Zoido

It's never really worked for him on the international stage, and it's sad to say his best years are clearly behind him now. Still one of the greatest ever though.

montpelier

I think the criticisms are pretty valid. CR7 changed as a player during the season he scored those 42 for us, imo. Never see him get the ball with his head up now, do I carry, do I see a pass for someone else? Should get the space to do that because he could walk past any first defender so they stand off to a certain extent.

Sweeping statement but going from wing (drifting infield) to standing at centre forward, scoring repeatedly, bit of linking, doesn't increase the excitement of watching him.

Also, Portugal are a piss poor 3 or 4 man team.

edit - a post based mainly on an idea of @clarkydaz

Last edited:

redwar

All good players, but hardly in the pantheon of Pep's Barca who are one of the greatest club sides ever.

In any case, this isn't an Iniesta is GOAT thread. Its a Ronaldo performances (wums will be thread banned) thread, so lets get back on topic.
OK. You are right. The last comment on Iniesta. I wrote yesterday on Iniesta's thread something like;
Pep's Iniesta > Pep's Messi
Spain's Iniesta >>>>> Argentina's Messi

(Of course yesterday I didn't touch the golden baby, Ronaldo)
I believe he is THE great one of his era. Not the most talented and not even the most exciting to watch. But he does one thing that the other two don't. Scoring crucial goals in huge games.

Anyway, Ronaldo's performances in this Euro showed once again that although he is a freak of nature, a footballer that is unnaturally consistent, well, he doesn't belong to the greatest ones.

Atay

As a footballer he is immense but I really don't like his ego and big head. The only other player that acts this way is Zatlan but the difference is he does it with tongue in cheeck whereas Ronaldo is serious. Its all about him. Finding it hard to like the guy tbh. World class players don't need to act that way as their football do the talking.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
He'll win the Ballon d'Or this year based on a champions league win where he was dreadful.

Still laughable how he could go to any team and score hat tricks according to Fergie, yet still waiting for a big stage moment where you think... "what can you do to stop this guy".

There a certain argentine we all know that you can prepare tactics, train all week, mark 3 on 1 and he can slice you open multiple times a game, Ronaldo feels like since that 07/08 and the first two seasons at Real Madrid... he's kind of not been a performer.

Output goals wise, great, top tier, but all round performance, not really.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Unless Argentina win Copa America.
I don't understand it though, Barcelona won 2 trophies, and Messi out performed Ronaldo in stats all year but not on goals, performance wise, beyond him.

It's weird to think a champions league decides Ballon d'Or.

Dominos

Still think 07/08 was his best ever season.
That's just madness. You're probably remembering it with tinted glasses. That was the season he stopped being a fantastic exciting dribbler and consistent assister from the wing, he was just goals. He's produced numerous seasons since then with far more goals and assists, with equal or better all round play and a bigger contribution in big games.

finneh

Why? He peaked in the 11/12 season IMO.
He'd changed his game at that point. He was phenomenal but in my view had lost a bit of what made him unique. He also racked up numbers again cannon fodder (a criticism he later dispelled but was definitely arguable at that point).

That's just madness. You're probably remembering it with tinted glasses. That was the season he stopped being a fantastic exciting dribbler and consistent assister from the wing, he was just goals. He's produced numerous seasons since then with far more goals and assists, with equal or better all round play and a bigger contribution in big games.
Nah. He won so many games single handedly that season. He was a hybrid between the old Ronaldo who was technically incredible & exciting and the newer incredibly efficient machine he became.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Why is he wrong? Ronaldo's performances don't warrant the hype. He is essentially a box player. Iniesta has dominated every big game he has been in, while Ronaldo has flopped in 3 champions League finals in a row, missed Pens against Barcelona 08, Chelsea 08, Bayern 11 etc. He is a good goal scorer, not great because he is far from clinical and takes the most shots in Europe evry season. As a FOOTBALLER, Iniesta is a level above him. Iniesta elevates his team, CR simply doesn't and simply does well when the team is playing well and has been for almost 4+ seasons. EVen the season he broke the cl record and got 17, non of his goals meant anything. He scored add on goals against Schalke when the team were 2-0 and 3-0 up. Against Bayern he scored the goals after Benzema and Ramos had done well. The greatest players make their teams playe better. He is a finisher. Ity would be like saying RvN is a better footballer than Zidane. That's the way I see it and we both know that is simply not true. CR is a better gs but he is nowhere near the second best player of this geneartion. Messi is in his own leagie, Iniesta Xavi are ahead of him and then I would even pu Suarez above him as well.

Noone here would call Gerd Muller the best player ever and Gerd Muller was not only a better goal scorer, he scored bigger goals than CR and turned up when his team needed him. Marketing and FIFA have made people thing CR is some great footballer that can dribble teams. THis is not a Nike EUROS advert. He is a box player. It is really that simple.
Flopped in three Champions-League finals?! Maybe one can call his performance underwhelming against Atleti back in 2014, but what about that game in Moscow? If it weren't for him that game wouldn't have gone to penalties, he scored a world class header against a strong Chelsea team. Sure Cech saved his penalty during the shootout, but only because of this you call call him out? In the last final he put in quite a shift: worked hard for the team, not afraid to stand his ground and played his hearts out.
The stage doesn't get any bigger than a penalty shootout and he stepped up when the team needed him the most. How about putting away the decisive penalty and winning Real Madrid the game? But flopped? Man, he's set the bar really high, hasn't he?

Ronaldo was there every season to ge the business done. Doesn't matter whether he had to do it for Real Madrid or Manchester United. Van Persie was a great footballer, but he didn't last too long, almost always injured, Suarez is also a great footballer, but where was he at he age of 23? Ronaldo was already a Champions-League winner, one of the faces of one of the biggest clubs in the world and was voted the best player in the world. You simply can't take that away from him! During his Manchester time he was one hell of a dribbler, maybe it's time for a season review for you. :)

Football is a game of opinions, your opinion is that the likes of Xavi, Iniesta and others were better players. Who am i to tell you what you have to think? No, can't do that. But when you come up with conspiracy theories and try to play down Ronaldo's abilities, more or less brand him a showman who's not fit to be right up there with the best footballers the game has ever seen, then i have to intervene, because that's over the top.

Zoo

He is a shite captain who too often makes it all about himself to the detriment of the team.

Obiorahking_

My God he was awful. Got himself into position to score multiple times but his finishing let him down again. Horrible Euros so far.

Dominos

He'd changed his game at that point. He was phenomenal but in my view had lost a bit of what made him unique.

Nah. He won so many games single handedly that season. He was a hybrid between the old Ronaldo who was technically incredible & exciting and the newer incredibly efficient machine he became.
I knew this was the impression you were under, hence remembering it with tinted glasses. From what I've read on here, it seems widely acknowledged 06/07 was his last season as that exciting player.

Although youtube highlights from any season can make it look like he was still that player.

This is from 11/12.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
My God he was awful. Got himself into position to score multiple times but his finishing let him down again. Horrible Euros so far.
He'll score next game, but it'll be too late, and there'll be some media story spun of how he inspires a "late charge" and that the team didn't do enough to support him the last 2 games, the narrative is often different from the actual performance on the pitch.

Just like after the CL his dreadful 120 minutes was replaced with "Ronaldo inspires Real win" based on scoring the last penalty in which pretty much every player put away besides Juanfran.

Obiorahking_

He'll score next game, but it'll be too late, and there'll be some media story spun of how he inspires a "late charge" and that the team didn't do enough to support him the next 2 games, the narrative is often different from the actual performance on the pitch.

Just like after the CL his dreadful 120 minutes was replaced with "Ronaldo inspires Real win" based on scoring the last penalty in which pretty much every player put away besides Juanfran.
He wasn't dreadful in CL finals. Disappointing? Sure but he worked his ass off and created a couple of plays as well for his team.

Also it is the end result that matters, If he can finally do it against Hungary and help his team qualify for R16 then who cares?
Also, although he is the main player on the team, his teammates have also got to step up to the plate aswell.It is a team game is it not?

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
Flopped in three Champions-League finals?! Maybe one can call his performance underwhelming against Atleti back in 2014, but what about that game in Moscow? If it weren't for him that game wouldn't have gone to penalties, he scored a world class header against a strong Chelsea team. Sure Cech saved his penalty during the shootout, but only because of this you call call him out? In the last final he put in quite a shift: worked hard for the team, not afraid to stand his ground and played his hearts out.
The stage doesn't get any bigger than a penalty shootout and he stepped up when the team needed him the most. How about putting away the decisive penalty and winning Real Madrid the game? But flopped? Man, he's set the bar really high, hasn't he?

Ronaldo was there every season to ge the business done. Doesn't matter whether he had to do it for Real Madrid or Manchester United. Van Persie was a great footballer, but he didn't last too long, almost always injured, Suarez is also a great footballer, but where was he at he age of 23? Ronaldo was already a Champions-League winner, one of the faces of one of the biggest clubs in the world and was voted the best player in the world. You simply can't take that away from him! During his Manchester time he was one hell of a dribbler, maybe it's time for a season review for you. :)

Football is a game of opinions, your opinion is that the likes of Xavi, Iniesta and others were better players. Who am i to tell you what you have to think? No, can't do that. But when you come up with conspiracy theories and try to play down Ronaldo's abilities, more or less brand him a showman who's not fit to be right up there with the best footballers the game has ever seen, then i have to intervene, because that's over the top.

Flopped in thegame in ROme vs Barcelona, Flopped against Atletico and then Flopped against Atleti again? When his team needed him? Every Madrid player scored their pen. Yes at United he was a good dribbler but even there against elite opposition he didn't do well.

Barcelona semis in 08, Milan semis 07 etc. He is a good goal scorewr but my problem is when he is called the best footballer when he simply isn't. As I've said beofre, the level he has perfomed at over the last 4- 5 years is no higher than RvN at his best. Was RvN ever called the best player? That is my only gripe. His highest level is nowhere near Ronaldinho's, Messi's, Xavi's, Iniesta etc He needs his team to supply him with chance after chance to be effective. He is not in the same category as Cruijff, Maradona and Messi. Those 3 could be motm without hitting the net. When CR doesn't score, his contribution is almost always nothing.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
He wasn't dreadful in CL finals. Disappointing? Sure but he worked his ass off and created a couple of plays as well for his team.

Also it is the end result that matters, If he can finally do it against Hungary and help his team qualify for R16 then who cares?
Also, although he is the main player on the team, his teammates have also got to step up to the plate aswell.It is a team game is it not?
Nani has scored for Portugal in both the Euros and the World Cup he's done more than Ronaldo has.

Plus Ronaldo had a lot of chances today, the team is delivering, he's not finishing... there's a difference.

Obiorahking_

Messi's, Xavi's, Iniesta etc He needs his team to supply him with chance after chance to be effective.
As does every forward in football? This isn't Fifa where you can use Huntelaar and dribble your way through Barcelona defense to score you know.

Dominos

the level he has perfomed at over the last 4- 5 years is no higher than RvN at his best.
This is just madness.

RVN's biggest goal tally was 42ish no? And never got that close to repeating it? Ronaldo has scored 50+ six seasons in a row. And he got 15 assist last season. And RVN doesn't have a record of making a difference in knockout stages of the CL, unlike Ronaldo.

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
As does every forward in football? This isn't Fifa where you can use Huntelaar and dribble your way through Barcelona defense to score you know.
Yes, but none of the forwards are called the best in history. Gerd Muller was a greater Goal scorer and scored far more important goals yet noone is here saying he is the 2nd best player in history. Messi, Cruijff, Maradona and Pele could do more when their team were not playing well against elite opposition. Again, my problem is when people start claiming he is on par with Pele, Maradona, Messi and Cruijff.

Obiorahking_

Nani has scored for Portugal in both the Euros and the World Cup he's done more than Ronaldo has.
Ronaldo assisted the goal that same game while also creating chances and putting on a heck of a skill display( after all isn't that what a lot of you anti Ronaldo guys are on his nuts about)

Ronaldo also had a pretty decent game against Ghana scoring the winning goal. All of this while playing through an injury.

Come again?

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Ronaldo assisted the goal that same game while also creating chances and putting on a heck of a skill display( after all isn't that what a lot of you anti Ronaldo guys are on his nuts about)

Ronaldo also had a pretty decent game against Ghana scoring the winning goal. All of this while playing through an injury.

Come again?
Point is he's not in the GOAT tier, great player, belongs with some of the greats, but just falls short when you want a big performance.

Jacob

I had two bets, Ronaldo first to score and game to finish 1-0. FML.

Obiorahking_

Yes, but none of the forwards are called the best in history. Gerd Muller was a greater Goal scorer and scored far more important goals yet noone is here saying he is the 2nd best player in history. Messi, Cruijff, Maradona and Pele could do more when their team were not playing well against elite opposition. Again, my problem is when people start claiming he is on par with Pele, Maradona, Messi and Cruijff.
Did you ever see Ronaldo in his career with United and his career in Madrid pre Mourinho? Ronaldo was not an out and out forward throughout his entire career, and even when he did undergo his transformation, he still partly plays as a facilitator for his team something many of the greatest strikers never had in their game.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
My 2 problems with him are .

He's the most arrogant and selfish player I have ever seen. He moans and blames his team mates when things aren't going his way.

Secondly he's not in the same tier as the greats of the game. He honestly doesn't have a patch on some of the greats of the game and I have to consistently put up with people telling me he's better than this player and that player when he just isn't.

Gerd Muller scored just as frequently as Ronaldo does and I never hear people him calling him one of the greatest?

Off the pitch Ronaldo is quite nice I believe but as a player he makes it so easy for people to hate him.

Dobbs

Flopped in thegame in ROme vs Barcelona, Flopped against Atletico and then Flopped against Atleti again? When his team needed him? Every Madrid player scored their pen. Yes at United he was a good dribbler but even there against elite opposition he didn't do well.

Barcelona semis in 08, Milan semis 07 etc. He is a good goal scorewr but my problem is when he is called the best footballer when he simply isn't. As I've said beofre, the level he has perfomed at over the last 4- 5 years is no higher than RvN at his best. Was RvN ever called the best player? That is my only gripe. His highest level is nowhere near Ronaldinho's, Messi's, Xavi's, Iniesta etc He needs his team to supply him with chance after chance to be effective. He is not in the same category as Cruijff, Maradona and Messi. Those 3 could be motm without hitting the net. When CR doesn't score, his contribution is almost always nothing.
This is very harsh. Firstly he scored big goals for United at crucial times. I haven't followed him all that closely at Madrid but I'm sure he's done the same there.

The comparison with RvN is way off. Even at his best RVN was slower, weaker, one footed and not as good in the air. Ruud never scored a goal from outside the area for us!

You're right that Ronaldo has a weakness to his game, he's neglected a big part of what made him great. Teamplay. Nearly all players have a missing part though. Let's not pretend Iniesta doesn't have a weakness. The guy's scored 34 goals for Barcelona in his entire career. For an attacking player of his calibre, playing for that team, it's piss poor.

Status
Not open for further replies.