Cristiano Ronaldo - Performances (wums will be thread banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
It was still his worst season in years. His goals were mostly stat padding this season along with failing to deliver against the best teams all season. On paper it all looks good though but it definitely wasn't a great season from him.
You live in another world. Of course it was a great season.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
People forgetting his contributions when his team needed him v Hungary, the assist v Croatia and his performance against Wales. Portugal wouldn't of got as far as they did without him (and that's ignoring what he did in qualifying for them)

mu4c_20le

So, now the key to have the "better career" is getting injured in a final and your team winning it with you cheering from the sidelines? To hell with guiding your team into 3 consecutive finals :lol:
Not sure why you have that in quotes, he's had the better career imo and he's proven himself in the two biggest leagues in the world. Won plenty of trophies in both of them and now Portugal.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Scores two goals to keep them in the tourney and a header to make it 1-0 in the semi and people think he didn't deserve to lift the trophy.

Jesus christ.

Dobba

I do find it laughable that a nation, that still holds Gazza's tears in Turin as the epitome of passion, hates and mocks Ronaldo crying on the pitch to the extent it does. Especially now, weeks after whinging that their national team don't care enough.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
People forgetting his contributions when his team needed him v Hungary, the assist v Croatia and his performance against Wales. Portugal wouldn't of got as far as they did without him (and that's ignoring what he did in qualifying for them)
Exactly. People just hating and not willing to give the man credit. He's won more trophies with his country than Messi. People need to get over it and face the facts instead of trying to down play his achievements.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
It would be funny to find all the posts about how Portugal are terrible without him, and all the excuses of poor teammates for his performances.

They had fecking Quaresma instead of him and they actually didn't look any worse than in any other games he played.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
It doesn't make him better than Messi etc but he definitely deserves it.. Portugal as a nation deserve it, they've contributed a lot to the game.

Acole9

Outstanding
I don't get all the hate for him personally, he was a great player for us. I'm delighted for him, you could see what it meant to him.

ryan cook

He definitely had a poor tournament. Its funny that people will think Ronaldo is automatically better than Messi now that he has finally won an internation tournament. According to one poster Ronaldo has had the better career now because he has won an internation tournament :houllier:

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
If someone is more deserving than another but loses out to that person, isn't "undeserved" an accurate description?

Unless of course you disagree and think Ronaldo's been the best in the world this year? For me Suarez has and if he wasn't a horrible cnut he'd be a certainty to win the Ballon d'Or, imo.
Nah, Suarez could be as nice as pie but still not win it this year, international achievements were always going to be a major factor.

Suarez had the best club performances, but Messi, Ronaldo and Griezman were good also. Whoever out of those that managed to win an international trophy was always going to have the upper hand, and deservedly so.

The bitterness from those that dislike Ronaldo is going to be unbearable though.

dichinero

I do find it laughable that a nation, that still holds Gazza's tears in Turin as the epitome of passion, hates and mocks Ronaldo crying on the pitch to the extent it does. Especially now, weeks after whinging that their national team don't care enough.
Wait till you here how our United fans will talk about how our captain Wayne Rooney is an excellent motivator in the dressing room, that has yet to yield any results, even internationally!

Ronaldo showed what I want to see in a captain, even when he is not playing. Top stuff!!!

Fergus' son

George Best (after Portugal lost the Euros)
- "We saw that he plays with his heart too. He obviously loves the game so much and was distraught to lose in the final. Seeing him cry nearly got me going too."
Nice quote.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Well, has Benzema ever scored 35 + goals? Ronaldo scored 51 overall for Real and 16 in the CL alone, second best tally ever, 1 short of his record. It is not like he won the tropheys without contributing much.
Again, look against which teams he scored most of his goals, goalscoring alone isn't the main factor or Luis Suarez should be in the fight with his 59 goals and a double with Barcelona. Football is like that, I'd say this is one of Ronaldo's worst seasons in the last decade and still is his best if we look at it's silverware, but in the personal level I don't think this cements any argument in his comparison against Messi

When I say Benzema wouldn't win it this year with the same numbers I'm talking about how the world perceives some players, that's why Luis Suarez won't win it nor was in last year's podium. On the other hand if Ronaldo or Messi did what Griezmann has done this year they could easily be favourites to win it

SirAF

Ageist
Nah, Suarez could be as nice as pie but still not win it this year, international achievements were always going to be a major factor.

Suarez had the best club performances, but Messi, Ronaldo and Griezman were good also. Whoever out of those that managed to win an international trophy was always going to have the upper hand, and deservedly so.

The bitterness from those that dislike Ronaldo is going to be unbearable though.
It will, but it is better than the smugness when (rarely) he fails.

Never won anything with Argentina. Will always be a stain on his career imo. Compare the Argentina teams Messi has played in compared to the Portugal ones Ronaldo has played in. Messi should've won at least a Copa America with Argentina in his career.
By the same token compare Messi's performances with Ronaldo's. Messi lost the Copa this summer but throughout played a whole lot better than Ronaldo did in the Euros.

RocK3T

(Manchester) 'Pele called me the greatest football
Ronaldo = One of the best goalscorers of all time.

I don't think he's been impressive this Euros though, bar probably one game where he looked like he was playing, the others were lacklustre not just be him but the entire Portuguese team.

Good for him, but he doesnt deserve individual honours after his year, footballing Legacy wise he's up there with Cruyff no doubt from a footballing perspective (player perspective). Influence wise slightly less than him.

Sometimes you need a little bit of luck Argentina haven't had it for 3 years, with lets say certain players playing better in ALL tournaments, yet Portugal had a large slice of luck this year, the "strongest 3rd team rule" of the group really helped this tournament.

The teams they played, scraping through, lots of luck, same goes for the CL final this year, Atletico were better.
This is fair, except that I do believe that he probably does deserve the Balon D'or. That's not to say that he is a better player than Messi or Suarez, but that you can't ignore two major trophies and especially with what the Balon D'or has morphed into. (Trophies > Player performances)

ryan cook

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Happy for our boy!

Every trophy with United.
Every trophy with Madrid.
International trophy with Portugal!
4 Balons.

He's shown himself to be an incredible leader throughout this tournament too.

Whether people like it or not, he will be spoken about as potentially being the GOAT.
No he wont be.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic

Whoever out of those that managed to win an international trophy was always going to have the upper hand, and deservedly so.
Which sums up the bullshit logic.

Griezmann was much better in this tournament than Ronaldo was but he lost a final that Ronaldo never even played in and we're giving Ronaldo the upper hand as a result?

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Happy for him and he played his part.
He obviously didn't even come in fit into the tournament but stepped up in the crucial game against Hungary.
They got behind 3 times and got back every time.

They won fair against Croatia.

Then they got behind very early against Poland but kept their cool.

They left Wales no chance.

From the Hungary game until the semi final he played his part in every game.

They were also slightly the better team today.

Nani was also extremely good, dangerous and composed throughout the tournament.
Pepe, too is a great player.
Portugal are a tournament team and it was about time they finally won a trophy. They have gone very far in a lot of tournaments since the Euros in 2000.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
He played his part in the tournament for his country. He was still underwhelming though when you look at all his performances. There wasn't even a standout Portugese player in the tournament everyone just kind of played their part.

montpelier

I think he is noticeably on the downslope, tbh. From quite high up, obvs. And I don't think he has been as good as Messi, though not far behind either. 2-3 fantastic goals at this tournament, the flick & the headers, 2nd header out of this world. And the assist from an 80 yard sprint to get that winning/saving goal vs. I forget who...

So, the idea he hasn't tumed up is a bit silly, is it not? Not world best standards but as I say, I think he's passed his very best.

Portugal very jammy winners, do you think they would have done it without him?

Revan

Assumptionman
He has cemented himself as a top 6 player of all time (with Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Di Stefano). Portugal wouldn't have passed the groups without him.

Very happy that he won it.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
I really don't like Ronaldo but had to feel for him tonight, it's rare you witness so much passion in one player.

Fergus' son

Which sums up the bullshit logic.

Griezmann was much better in this tournament than Ronaldo was but he lost a final that Ronaldo never even played in and we're giving Ronaldo the upper hand as a result?
Tends to be how these awards work but you seem to be ignoring the fact that Ronaldo has two more trophies than him season and scored around 20 more goals.

As much as you dislike him, he will win the award and will be as deserving a winner as many many previous winners.

Status
Not open for further replies.