Cristiano Ronaldo | Signs for United! Fcuk City

Status
Not open for further replies.

francobaresi

I'll be quite disappointed if this happens tbh, which at this point is looking inevitable. I get that he last played for us more than 12 years ago, but joining the arch-rivals is never okay imo. What if he gets Man City the goals they need to win the League, and we finish 2nd because of it?
We won't finish 2nd, don't worry about that

The_Midfielder

Not signing Ronaldo in 2021 is probably the best thing United can do. He's the epitome of a short term fix and getting him would not address the main issues we have of chance creation and the screening of our defence.

Most of our signings post Fergie were made with zero long term vision of building a squad. They were a mixture of players desperately needed to plug a gap and also trying to scrabble around to attract any sort of big name signing we could.

We're in a much healthier position now due to eschewing the older way and now actually recruiting players who are good now but could be even better a few years down the line. That's not Ronaldo.
Why not if we can? Why don't the owners not take dividend this year, and instead pay Ronaldo that money?

croadyman

Mbappe to Real, Ronaldo to PSG.

Ronaldo
Neymar Messi
Still holding out hopes that happens but not optimistic at all, strange we weren't all over this when it looked like Edi was planning on heading back to Uruguay particularly with this potential situation of him missing a host of matches

The Red Thinker

Sigh... if a global pandemic can happen... if Barca can release Messi... then in this reality Cristiano can play for City. Feck.

Seij

Still holding out hopes that happens but not optimistic at all, strange we weren't all over this when it looked like Edi was planning on heading back to Uruguay particularly with this potential situation of him missing a host of matches
I don't think Ronaldo wants to play on the same team as Messi. His galaxy-sized ego wouldn't that.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Dennis Law played for City, scored the goal that relegated us. I remember that moment well. He is still a player we all loved.

croadyman

I don't think Ronaldo wants to play on the same team as Messi. His galaxy-sized ego wouldn't that.
Feck it we should try and hijack this move with Edi likely to miss quite a few games to save our number 9 situation

croadyman

I’m a little out of the loop here and this is off topic but why is Cavani likely to miss out on games?
To do with him wanting to play for Uruguay and needing to quarantine for 10 days afterwards, check out player thread for info

mshnsh

Ronaldo has always been about Ronaldo. He knows that goalscorers always get attention hence he has pretty much focused on that through his career.

BTW sorry to @RedRonaldo @SportingCP96 et al but if he does leave Juve, his time there will be considered a failure when all is said and done. Apparently according to you fanboys he had the ability to single handedly win the UCL but his time at Juve has overwhelmingly proven otherwise. People forget the other 10 world class players at Madrid who facilitated his tap ins.

Peak Henry. That man was something else at his peak. Better than Ronaldo 07/08. 25 goals and 20 assists in the league is outrageous. Also the eye test is telling me Henry was better. Just a better all around player.
Agreed interms of consistent threat in a game. I hated him and feared him when he played vs us. But now that le Arse are shit, I can accept it without issue.

The thing about Ronaldo (even in his prime) is that many a times he can be completely shit or anonymous all game but still score a hat trick. Than everything bad about his performance is forgotten. That is probably what makes him such a dangerous opponent even more than Henry; it's like playing against some two faced terrorist.

I remember our matches vs Madrid in 2013. We stopped him easily but he still managed to poach the all important goals in both legs. Ditto the Madrid matches vs Wolfsburg, vs Bayern, vs Atletico and United matches vs Liverpool in 08/09, Arsenal in 07/08 etc
Errr… I get that people would hate Ronaldo now if he moves to City, but for feck sake he has won 5 Ballon D’ors, 5 CL and scored nearly 800 career goals (more than Pele), you can’t really say he is not comparable to Messi, and even behind the likes of Rooney, Giggs, Beckham etc, when only very few in history could compare with his achievements (maybe only Pele and Messi could compare)
Interms of all round play, they are and have never been at the same level but Ronaldo's goals and longevity mean the rest is ignored and he is rightfully considered one of the greats (top 5 or at worst top 10).

Last edited:

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Ronaldo has always been about Ronaldo. He knows that goalscorers always get attention hence he has pretty much focused on that through his career.

BTW sorry to @RedRonaldo @SportingCP96 et al but if he does leave Juve, his time there will be considered a failure. Apparently according to you fanboys he had the ability to single handedly win the UCL but his time at Juve has overwhelmingly proven otherwise. People forget the other 10 world class players at Madrid who facilitated his tap ins.
[

Agreed. I hated him and feared him when he played vs us. But now that le Arse are shit, I can accept it without issue. We played against Ronaldo a few times and I never found him to be a consistent threat.

The thing about Ronaldo (even in his prime) is that many a times he can be completely shit or anonymous all game but still score a hat trick. Than everything bad about his performance is forgotten. That is probably what makes him such a dangerous opponent; it's like playing against some two faced terrorist.

Interms of all round play, they are and have never been at the same level but Ronaldo's goals and longevity mean the rest is ignored and he is rightfully considered one of the greats (top 5 or at worst top 10).
The man scored 101 goals in 134 games and 22 assists.

He more then did his part.

He is responsible for 90% of their goals in the knockout rounds while he’s been their.

They got Ronaldo because he is the CL man. Nobody wins it or performs in it like him but then failed to make the team competitive.

Juventus failed him not the other way around. Weston, Ramsey, bernadeschi, bentsncur. Players that would not start in any top team in the world.

He performed very well and scored buckets of goals in a side that didn’t create many chances a game to begin with.

I get why people are worried. In Manchester City he will score goals for fun and he will be the X factor for them come CL time.

yipthatman

I genuinely dont get the love in for Ronaldo. He was a top top player and we got a few decent trophies with him in the team. The Ronaldo romance is mental though. He couldn't care less about us (he is about himself). He used United a few times for his own ends (new contracts). If he was a genuine red he would have stayed but he didn't and he isnt, he's a mercenery who's currency is new records and personal accolades. I will be surprised if he doesn't end up at PSG though as he hasn't won the french league. Just my two pence worth.

mu4c_20le

BTW sorry to @RedRonaldo @SportingCP96 et al but if he does leave Juve, his time there will be considered a failure when all is said and done. Apparently according to you fanboys he had the ability to single handedly win the UCL but his time at Juve has overwhelmingly proven otherwise. People forget the other 10 world class players at Madrid who facilitated his tap ins.
Umm who said this? Sounds like something messi fangirls made up again :D has barca been winning it every year?

Fergie 7ime

I'd say Man City are not a Man Utd rival because they are so far ahead of us on the pitch.

We can make history jibes all we want, call them plastic but they are simply the best team in the land right now, even without a European Cup to offer.
Loosing to City feels like loosing to the legendary CPU in FIFA to me. It doesn't mean a god damn thing. They won the lottery and now they're winning some trophies, who cares. They don't feel like a real competitor to me, they're just a nice benchmark to aspire to on the pitch. But it is also a bit sad really, because the City fan didn't have a say in the matter at all, winning the lottery just happened to them. And deep down, all the wins must feel a bit hollow in some ways.

Ladron de redcafe

Agreed interms of consistent threat in a game. I hated him and feared him when he played vs us. But now that le Arse are shit, I can accept it without issue.

The thing about Ronaldo (even in his prime) is that many a times he can be completely shit or anonymous all game but still score a hat trick. Than everything bad about his performance is forgotten. That is probably what makes him such a dangerous opponent even more than Henry; it's like playing against some two faced terrorist.

I remember our matches vs Madrid in 2013. We stopped him easily but he still managed to poach the all important goals in both legs. Ditto the Madrid matches vs Wolfsburg, vs Bayern, vs Atletico and United matches vs Liverpool in 08/09, Arsenal in 07/08 etc

He was brought into a team that won 4 consecutive doubles and had reached 2 UCL finals in that 4 year stretch. They immediately regressed in every single competition as soon as he came in, and got progressively worse with each season until last year's catastrophe when they ended 4th in a one team league, and only climbed to 4th on the last day of the season when they benched him.

He will look for his goals, as he has always done, but at the expense of the teams and recent history has shown that his approach can harm his team.

The stint at Juventus is a failure in the eyes of every Juventus fan i know, and this next task with City will have to result in a UCL, otherwise it would be another failure. They've already wrecked the league. He's there to push them to another level. I suspect that Guardiola will get frustrated with the lack of pressing and teamwork, but that remains to be seen.

yipthatman

Loosing to City feels like loosing to the legendary CPU in FIFA to me. It doesn't mean a god damn thing. They won the lottery and now they're winning some trophies, who cares. They don't feel like a real competitor to me, they're just a nice benchmark to aspire to on the pitch. But it is also a bit sad really, because the City fan didn't have a say in the matter at all, winning the lottery just happened to them. And deep down, all the wins must feel a bit hollow in some ways.
I don't think they are that far ahead on the pitch. Ole does OK against Peps City in matches. I just think they have better consistency over the course of a season..

croadyman

I don't think they are that far ahead on the pitch. Ole does OK against Peps City in matches. I just think they have better consistency over the course of a season..
Yeah by that sitting back and counter attacking

yipthatman

Yeah by that sitting back and counter attacking
Not sure how that is a bad thing. You mean by scoring more goals than them?. Doesn't matter how you get them. Let's be honest. We raise our game to play City. To them it's just another match.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Mbappe to Real, Ronaldo to PSG.

Ronaldo
Neymar Messi
As tasty as it looks on paper in reality this setup is a nightmare fire every coach.
To bring these 3 monumental egos, who all want to be the start man, to perform as a team and also do some defensive work, and fight for the team is probably an impossible task for every manager. Let alone Pochetino who didn't achieve anything of notice yet when it comes to trophies.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I should clarify: I’m not saying they’re better players than Ronaldo, but that they all meant more to the club and achieved more honours for the club than Ronaldo did. Ronaldo was a key part of the club, but he was by no means the star that he is today. He was not the biggest fish in the pond during his time at United.

That said, he was young and he wasn’t even in his prime. He gave us great years and was vital to our success.

Sadly for him, he’ll never achieve the Messi levels of adulation that Messi had at Barcelona. Coming up in Barcelona’s system and spending 95% of his career there cements his status. Ronaldo left Sporting, bailed on United, then forced his way out of Madrid before now refusing to play for Juventus. He’s forced his way out of 4 teams and I don’t think any of those fanbases Will go rabid to see him in the building in 30 years
Errr that’s a bit of a stretch. He spend 6 years at United, 9 years at Real and 3 years at Juventus… winning everything for every clubs he played for. You are making him sound like Ibra who was looking for a move every 2-3 years or so. Players you regard as bigger legend, such as Beckham (5 clubs), Best (over 9 clubs) etc were even worse. And then there were other legends like Law (4 clubs), Keane (4 clubs) who aren’t exactly better.

Last edited:

Rojow

I don't see Messi and Neymar as a big ego-players. Maybe Neymar, but when you compare them with Ronaldo, well, no one comes close.

Ronaldo won't go to PSG. Playing in the same team as Messi would destroy his image. Everyone would see the abysmal difference.

Ladron de redcafe

I don't see Messi and Neymar as a big ego-players. Maybe Neymar, but when you compare them with Ronaldo, well, no one comes close.

Ronaldo won't go to PSG. Playing in the same team as Messi would destroy his image. Everyone would see the abysmal difference.
PSG made it clear they don't want him. He wouldn't want to be in Messi's shadow, anyways, in my opinion because it must be a blow to his ego.

Toad

Wouldn’t it be funny if he did this as a big wind up to City. They put all there efforts into getting him until last minute and he says no, so they don’t have time to get anyone else :lol:

yipthatman

Wouldn’t it be funny if he did this as a big wind up to City. They put all there efforts into getting him until last minute and he says no, so they don’t have time to get anyone else :lol:
That would be ace but something tells me that he is doing this for himself. You know Ronnie.

ReddevilTinu

I simply don't get it why can't we go for Ronaldo. We need a striker and Martial is not a good Center Forward and Cavanni may not be able to play all the time. We can get Ronaldo and we are guaranteed goals and a winning mentality.
His wages can be addressed with the merchandise sale. I would prefer to swap Martial for Ronaldo. Martial is also one of top earners with bad return on goals. We can also have 25-30% of Sell on Clause if he performs better and any of the big suitors wants him in the future

BaneIsPain

I wouldn’t wish him luck but I don’t harbour any hate towards him. It just a job for him either here or there. His dream club always been Madrid.

digitalmpu

Dennis Law played for City, scored the goal that relegated us. I remember that moment well. He is still a player we all loved.
The problem is Law (Or to some extent Cole & Big Pete) gave top level service to United for their entire prime and went to City like some sort of lowly retirement home.

On the other hand, Ronaldo left us rather soon after he had become the player he is now. Even then in all these years United fans held him very close to their hearts. So now that presumed 'our boy' might join our bitter rivals particularly at the height of their power, feels like an entirely different level of betrayal.

Strelok

Tbh I don't give a feck if he plays for City, he left us in his prime anyway. And watching him the last two years he's no longer the threat he was. Of course he'd score many goals for City, but only against the small teams which City gonna score loads against them with or without him anyway. I don't think he'd score in the big games, when it matters so big deal.

Fridge chutney

Sell Lingard, Jones, Bailey, Mata, Perreira, Dalot, Chong and Tuanzabe. If you can't get 70 mil for that lot then whoever is in charge needs sacking!
True, although we should get closer to double.

Lingard: £30M
Bailly: £30M
Pereira: £25M
Dalot: £25M
Tuanzebe: £20M
Chong: £15M
Jones: £10M
Mata: £5M or free.

That's, conservatively, £145-150M. That would fund Haaland's contract and release clause and we'd have some left over.

pauldyson1uk

Well if you want to be pedantic then technically it didnt relegate us as it wouldnt have mattered what the result was. It was however the last game of the season. So carry on being pedantic
Nothing pedantic about it its fact the back heel goal and defeat did not put us down. Was not even the last match, last match was I think Villa and we lost that too.

Last edited:

mshnsh

Umm who said this? Sounds like something messi fangirls made up again :D has barca been winning it every year?
It will be a failure because the reason he was bought was to take them to another level. Instead they regressed lo
The man scored 101 goals in 134 games and 22 assists.

He more then did his part.

He is responsible for 90% of their goals in the knockout rounds while he’s been their.

They got Ronaldo because he is the CL man. Nobody wins it or performs in it like him but then failed to make the team competitive.

Juventus failed him not the other way around. Weston, Ramsey, bernadeschi, bentsncur. Players that would not start in any top team in the world.

He performed very well and scored buckets of goals in a side that didn’t create many chances a game to begin with.

I get why people are worried. In Manchester City he will score goals for fun and he will be the X factor for them come CL time.
He scores no doubt but he is the kind of player who needs ALOT of service and players around him to sacrifice their game. The moment that doesn't happen he is a liability. Just before he arrived, Juventus had reached the quarters of the UCL losing very narrowly to Madrid and had reached the final in the previous season. He did not improve them at all. The goal and assists stats don't tell the whole story.

I don't think people are worried that he will be the x factor etc; Citeh even without Ronaldo are strong favourites for the league and only very narrowly missed out on the champions league which they can win even without him; it's more like many United fans still support him and he has let them down by joining not only a direct rival but one from the same city; similar to joining Liverpool.

Status
Not open for further replies.