Cristiano Ronaldo | Signs for United! Fcuk City

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Yeah but the problem is to fit them all. It's one of Cavani or Ronaldo and he doesn't like to be subbed.

Cavani didn't sign for warming the bench either.
He didn't sign to be a sub last year either and liked it enough to extend his stay. They're both mid thirties and would probably benefit from managing their minutes for maximum effectiveness, so one getting subbed on from time to time would work in our favor.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
We're probably the only team besides - maybe - PSG who'd potentially be interested in accommodating Juve here - in the way suggested by some: meaning, they'd sell him for a "reasonable" price and let someone else pay his massive wages (which reportedly amount to somewhere south of fifty mill - pounds - per annum).

They're not us though are they. We are on the ascendency and only one catalyst away from going to the next level.
I still think he’s a fantastic player. But he’s not right for us. I think Ronaldo would have a detrimental effect on the team or at least not the desired effect.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I think some are still living a bit in the past if you thing getting CR7 suddenly makes United league favorites. Sure he's going to bring 20-30 goals, but it's not that kind of math where you just add that total to what United did this season and boom, all of the sudden United could be favorites. He's going to take away from others, he will be on massive wages, and he's declining every season. He's just not someone I would get for anything else than a publicity stunt and sell some jerseys. He's still a solid player, but he comes with a lot of conditions not just financially but sporting that will affect the team as a whole IMO.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Ronaldo reportedly earns around 900k p/w.

Hypothetically, if we were willing to match that for - what - a couple of seasons, the deal would be massive based on wages alone. We'd also have to pay Juve a transfer fee (his contract doesn't expire until next June), and even a "reasonable" one would surely be...what? 30-40 mill?

To put it in perspective, Ronaldo's wages over two seasons would likely amount to about what Dortmund are apparently willing to sell Sancho for (Covid discount and all).

It's a lot of feckin' money, in short, for a 36 year old player.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
You're delusional if you think Ronaldo would make us league and CL favourites.
His current team can't even qualify for the CL.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Ronaldo reportedly earns around 900k p/w.

Hypothetically, if we were willing to match that for - what - a couple of seasons, the deal would be massive based on wages alone. We'd also have to pay Juve a transfer fee (his contract doesn't expire until next June), and even a "reasonable" one would surely be...what? 30-40 mill?

To put it in perspective, Ronaldo's wages over two seasons would likely amount to about what Dortmund are apparently willing to sell Sancho for (Covid discount and all).

It's a lot of feckin' money, in short, for a 36 year old player.
I think CR7 is smart enough to know if he wants to play for another top club, he won't be earning anywhere close to what he earns with Juventus. PSG have no real interest in him and simply wouldn't match his wages at this point, and City is going to be kept busy with the Kane/Messi possibilities. He doesn't have much options, he will need to take a substantial pay cut if he wants to come back here.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
He doesn't have much options, he will need to take a substantial pay cut if he wants to come back here.
Yes - you'd hope so (if we're even interested).

As others have said, it would be an idiotic gamble to offer him a huge contract (matching his current wages).

Depends on him, I guess.

People keep talking about America for him - but it's the same thing there. No MLS club is going to pay him 900k p/w - in addition to whatever transfer fee he would command.

If he isn't willing to take a substantial pay cut, he isn't going anywhere - would be my prediction.

manutddjw

He needs us more than we need him. Feck him, go dream of Madrid elsewhere. Hate to make him come back and be slave here again.

mu4c_20le

Yes - you'd hope so (if we're even interested).

As others have said, it would be an idiotic gamble to offer him a huge contract (matching his current wages).

Depends on him, I guess.

People keep talking about America for him - but it's the same thing there. No MLS club is going to pay him 900k p/w - in addition to whatever transfer fee he would command.

If he isn't willing to take a substantial pay cut, he isn't going anywhere - would be my prediction.
First of all, it's 30 million euros per year, so closer to half of that.

Second, it wouldn't be a gamble, because he and Messi are the best players in the world. It's not like gambling on an Alexis or Aubameyang. If for some reason it doesn't work out then he wouldn't stay more than a year, rather than sitting around and leeching off wages.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
This is a bizarre argument. We clearly are a different club than Juventus. Different players and possibilities.

Yeah but the problem is to fit them all. It's one of Cavani or Ronaldo and he doesn't like to be subbed.

Cavani didn't sign for warming the bench either.
Not that I think we'll re-sign Ronaldo, but I've always liked Cavani coming from wide. Especially from the right, which is a bit odd given the inverted wingers meta.

He was lethal from the right at Napoli. The amount of back post headers he won against full-backs and the work-rate he showed (he basically played RB, RM, RW, ST all in one) were crazy.

Obviously he doesn't have quite that level of fitness anymore, but even in his latter years at PSG he did a lot of good stuff from both the right and left.

There's also nothing wrong with a good old fashioned 4-4-2... as Athletico have shown a lot this season.

marktan

Biggest problem is he can't run as much as he used to, and it'll only get worse. we got lucky with Cavani, no need to take another gamble

MrEleson

His current team would likely be around mid table if not for his goals. It’s mainly due to him they’re still even with a shout out being 4th.

mu4c_20le

I don't see this happening either unless all the stars align, but the mentality he would bring alone to our dressing room would be worth half the money. The other half would be paid by sponsors and shirt sales

mu4c_20le

Yeah, that would be net.

I was talking gross.

If your source is right, I would still be off with my 900k p/w (which has been reported, mind you),

But he still earns a shitload.
You probably have a point about the net and gross as they do things different in Italy, but you'd think the articles would point that out...

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
First of all, it's 30 million euros per year, so closer to half of that.

Second, it wouldn't be a gamble, because he and Messi are the best players in the world. It's not like gambling on an Alexis or Aubameyang. If for some reason it doesn't work out then he wouldn't stay more than a year, rather than sitting around and leeching off wages.
That is debatable these days though. They aren't head and shoulders above the rest anymore, with Lewandowski, De Bruyne, Salah, M'bappe etc are close to being the best.

I would say Lewandowski has been the best player in the world the last 2 seasons, if I had to choose.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
His salary is public knowledge in the italian media
Alright, if they're close to being right he makes somewhere north of £25 million p/a, then (probably a bit more than that) - after taxes (in Italy right now).

What that would translate to - in terms of p/w salary in England if United, hypothetically, wanted to match his current wages...is something I'd rather leave to someone else to figure out.

ETA By current conversion rates 31 mill Euros is about 26,7 mill pounds.

Alright, if they're close to being right he makes somewhere north of £25 million p/a, then (probably a bit more than that) - after taxes (in Italy right now).

What that would translate to - in terms of p/w salary in England if United, hypothetically, wanted to match his current wages...is something I'd rather leave to someone else to figure out.

ETA By current conversion rates 31 mill Euros is about 26,7 mill pounds.
it’s about £52m before tax.

Ladron de redcafe

It's Cristiano Ronaldo and this is redcafe. There are a lot of delusional fanboys who don't have a good grasp on his current level because their views are myopic.

He joined a team that had won the domestic double 4 consecutive seasons and reached the UCL final twice in the previous 4 seasons. They immediately regressed in every competition in his first season, and are now on the verge of possibly somehow missing out on the Champions League in a one team league.

It's bizzare how anyone who pretends to understand football can say that he or she thinks Ronaldo would make United favourites for the Champions League, with a straight face. That isn't just being fanboy; it's borderline insane.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Well his decision-making in the final third alone would definitely take us up a notch as outside Cavani our front players aren't WC in that regard to put it mildly and I think he'd be a hit for a couple of years.

Still I don't think he alone would make us favourites for trophies eventhough we would be considerably closer.

And he's not coming anyway obviously so a moot point.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
That is debatable these days though. They aren't head and shoulders above the rest anymore, with Lewandowski, De Bruyne, Salah, M'bappe etc are close to being the best.

I would say Lewandowski has been the best player in the world the last 2 seasons, if I had to choose.
Still don't think Lewandowski is close to Messi. Probably around Ronaldo's level during his CL wins with Madrid but below his prime or pretty much every iteration of Messi after his break through. Incredible player though he seriously stepped up another level when he was actually expected to decline.

dinostar77

I read that he had it all shipped to Spain. If it’s Portugal indeed, he’s going back to Sporting Lisbon and gives them his final two playing years?
They were shipped to his madrid home. He has 24 cars and a bigger garage there. Not sure if we can draw too much into this now that Juventus have qualified for CL.

Status
Not open for further replies.