g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Cristiano Ronaldo | Signs for United! Fcuk City

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUFC OK

Certain this is happening. Can we now please stop the chants about a player who never mentions us?

I’d love him back at OT but think he will go anywhere that gives him a chance of winning CL and thus ballon d’or.

Last edited:

cyberman

One of the most important words in football.

Its the reason net spend is not the way football clubs look at their finances. Its also the reason, I suspect, that we're so happy to keep renewing deadwood players.

As for Ronaldo, like I said before in this thread, for him football is a job. All the niceties are one sided. People shouldn't delude themselves into think Cristiano has a Man Utd pillow or something. He would happily bag a hat trick against us for City and celebrate in front of the Stretford End in their colours.
Last time he scored against us he ripped off his shirt and literally flexed

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Looks like this is probably on. Can't see £20 to £25m plus his wages putting City off. It's a marketing dream for City. That's surely why they signed Grealish too. He's not an ideal player for Pep but they've only got Jesus and academy kid at CF.

Edit probably after break.

DutchCruijff

Why have we passed up on him? It baffles me.

If City have agreed terms, it means the salary/contract demands were reasonable.

He's a club legend, better than anything we've got on the LW and better than Cavani, who will be off within 9 months, as a #9 too.

I just don't get it.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
For the love of feck. Someone ask Ronnie what the hell is he doing.
Trying to get the hell out of juventus. A completely understandable desire, it's a pit of shite. The only thing worse is being at barcelona

Frankly, it's a horrible life choice all around. Turin is like beige on tan, the only redeemable quality about that city are the underground scene(which is not what it used to be anyways!) and being an hour and a half away from Milan

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
The fans still sing his name, a significant and deluded part of the fanbase still thing he has a legitimate claim as the goat. What a way to ruin your legacy.

MrEleson

Sorry, just pulled up his shirt and flexed on us…
He was celebrating with the Juve fans for his first CL goal for them. He immediately apologised to United fans straight after. What about the other times he scored against us and didn’t celebrate?

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema

If City have agreed terms, it means the salary/contract demands were reasonable.

He's a club legend, better than anything we've got on the LW and better than Cavani, who will be off within 9 months, as a #9 too.

I just don't get it.
Is there anything to indicate we have been approached by Mendes? Sounds like Ronaldo only wants City, not us.

tyunited

Certain this is happening. Can we now please stop the chants about a player who never mentions us?

I’d love him back at OT but think he will go anywhere that gives him a chance of winning CL and thus ballon d’or.
That Bruno chant is dead and buried

Kaos

If he does do the unthinkable, what do you think his reception would be like at OT when we play them? I hope to feck we don't have the fanboys clapping him and bursting into a full rendition of "Viva Ronaldo". Would be super smalltime.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

I just don't get it.
He's probably made it clear that he wants to go to City

MrEleson

Looks like this is probably on. Can't see £20 to £25m plus his wages putting City off. It's a marketing dream for City. That's surely why they signed Grealish too. He's not an ideal player for Pep but they've only got Jesus and academy kid at CF.

Edit probably after break.
Report is that City have no intention of paying a fee. They want him for free which is baffling. They can dump £150M on Kane but can’t offer £25M for Ronaldo irrespective of age.

DutchCruijff

Is there anything to indicate we have been approached by Mendes? Sounds like Ronaldo only wants City, not us.
Mendes has been offering him all over the place, PSG and Madrid had to publicly shoot it down.

I find it very difficult to believe he's wanted to go to City before United considering (a) he's been close to coming back to United before and (b) his legacy + the publicity at coming back for United.

cyberman

He was celebrating with the Juve fans for his first CL goal for them. He immediately apologised to United fans straight after. What about the other times he scored against us and didn’t celebrate?
Don’t flex on us as if he scored v Barca? He has no love left for us

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
I could actually picture Ronaldo wanting to go there specifically because of the attention and outrage it would cause. The Premier League is the most watched League and he'd suddenly have all the eyes on him again.
That's actually a good shout; I hadn't considered that angle :lol:

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
If he does do the unthinkable, what do you think his reception would be like at OT when we play them? I hope to feck we don't have the fanboys clapping him and bursting into a full rendition of "Viva Ronaldo". Would be super smalltime.
What? He'd clearly be abused and booed.

youngrell

Obviously I know about Law and his goal but the circumstances around Cole, Schmeichal etc were of players on the downward trajectory of their career playing at crap club in an area where they probably still had family/friends and they're both still legends in my eyes.

In contrast, Ronaldo is still an elite player (even at the end of his career) joining an actual competitor. Also, on a personal level, 2006-07 season was probably my favourite season as a United fan and it's going to feel weird to remember it if this happens. Irrational i know.
I could forgive Schmiechel and Cole since they were very much over the hump and City were shite then, and to this day consider themselves United through and through (big Pete always refers to United as 'us' when he's doing punditry and interviews). But for Ronaldo it would be unforgivable IMO. It would also be a big slap in the face for SAF who nurtured him to being the player he is today. I always had an inkling that he never cared very much for the club and that's fine, but to join our local rivals - an oil club who are already comfortably the best team in the league? Nah get fecked Ronnie.
I suppose it's worth noting that City were not competitive rivals to us while Ronaldo was here, so he may not see them that way as much as someone who has played for us since around 2010 onwards.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Report is that City have no intention of paying a fee. They want him for free which is baffling. They can dump £150M on Kane but can’t offer £25M for Ronaldo irrespective of age.
Negotiation tactic me thinks. Juve want €30m, City offer 0, will meet at 20 ish I think. For their marketing and image he's easily worth that, it's not even a decision really.

The questions are on the football side, will be difficult for Pep to manage such a massive ego (especially given history) and he ain't going to press for 90mins.... City don't have big character like that in the dressing room at all.

RoyH1

Well if this is true it will probably shut up those who say “We were so special for him”
Ronaldo is about himself first and foremost, clubs second

MrEleson

The initial report was that he was shopped around by his agent to clubs to no success until City did a U-turn with the unavailability of Kane. No doubt we would’ve been one of the clubs his agent offered him to.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Mendes has been offering him all over the place, PSG and Madrid had to publicly shoot it down.

I find it very difficult to believe he's wanted to go to City before United considering (a) he's been close to coming back to United before and (b) his legacy + the publicity at coming back for United.
But those teams are going to be contenders for the Champions League this season (Real maybe less so, but they're still likely to perform on that stage) - we're not, so makes sense we're not even a consideration for him.

Time will tell.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
This is some bullshit.

How can Ronaldo do this to us? It hasn't happened yet, but it feels like it's closer to the needle of it happening to than it not.

Surely Fergie/Ole/Rio have got to have a word with him. What the feck is he doing?

From most loved to most hated. Despicable behaviour.

cyberman

It’s a weird signing. He doesn’t work hard enough anymore for Peps side and I can’t see him working in a possession team.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
But those teams are going to be contenders for the Champions League this season (Real maybe less so, but they're still likely to perform on that stage) - we're not, so makes sense we're not even a consideration for him.

Time will tell.
We definitely have a chance of winning the UCL, even without Ronaldo. So I don't think we're as shite as you may think.

Zen86

It’s a weird signing. He doesn’t work hard enough anymore for Peps side and I can’t see him working in a possession team.
Another PR move for City, following on from Grealish. Sadly that’s what football has become.

Personally I thought he looked very leggy in the Euros and question whether he can do it again in the PL at his age.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It's not a weird signing from their perspective. They need a poacher. Work rate doesn't matter. They need an elite goalscorer to balance out the rest of their creators where literally nobody wants to run in behind. They all love coming short to get on the ball and being a playmaker, but with nobody in behind. That's why I couldn't give 2 fecks if they signed Kane. Signing Ronaldo is pretty much exactly what they need. Short term, so it'd be far worse if they signed Haaland, but they might just replace him with Haaland too.

If this actually happens then they go back to being favourites for the Prem for me, and are right up there with PSG for the CL. Not to mention cutting all the ties with United. Nightmare.

Status
Not open for further replies.