Cristiano Ronaldo | Signs for United! Fcuk City

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acquire Me

From United, Real and Juventus, to City. Well, I guess Ronaldo is getting old now. Not many options.

Pickle85

than Ronaldo.
Law
Charlton
Best
Robson
Giggs
Keane
Cantona
Just to name a few.
You really think those are all better players? I mean, I get blind loyalty but this is something else. How many of the above do you think are in the conversation for top five of all time?

Josh 76

We can never have a transfer window where we blow the other teams, can we?

Frustrating if this gets done but then again does it change much? City are going to win the league and he'll get a premier league and maybe a CL winners medal

Someone pass me the sick bucket
Rather Ronaldo win them then the scousers!

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
They left at completely different times. This is more comparable to a legend joining Liverpool. City were irrelevant till the oil money, now they are a massive threat and you can’t just ignore that!
Manchester City was a potatofarmer club when players like Schmeichel went there.

Then they got financial doping from a gulf state.

They are now a club that's currently above us in both squad and performance.

Massive, massive difference.
Like I say, the definition of what constitutes a club legend is different for everyone.

Are you both saying that if Ronaldo had less ambition to win trophies and joined Leeds United instead of City, you would be ok with that and still consider him a legend?

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It’s just City trying to emulate us again. We built our way to the top, developing top players like Ronaldo. City buy them, they’d buy a fan base if they thought they could. :)

Ixion

Bigger legends I agree. Better players not even close. As good as Giggs was he’s levels below the best of Ronaldo we saw, Cantona likewise. You are letting your affection for those players, or perhaps dislike of Ronaldo, cloud the reality. He’s the player with the most ability, who peaked the highest and who went on to achieve the most in his career, even if a lot of that was outside of Utd.

Think of it like this, if you could pick one player to put into the side, you would pick that Ronaldo from 2006-2009 over any other.
You ignored my reply earlier. Bobby Charlton won the European Cup, World Cup, League and Balon d'or at United and scoring twice in our first ever European Cup win. He also ended his career the record scorer and appearance maker for his club and country. How is Ronaldo's 6 seasons at United far better than that? How is Charlton not even close?

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
What the feck is a second tier legend? So he's not an actual legend then? What are these tiers? What tier is statue worthy? When does he get a stand named after him? What about a chippy? He's an iconic player that once played for the club, that's about it.

I don't even know why we're having this conversation. Based on your previous post we're actually in agreement with the exception you're handing out legendary tier status. What the feck does that make Anderson? Legend tier 5? Where do the tiers stop?
It’s not really that complicated. With what Ronaldo won at Utd of course he’s a Utd legend currently. The only reason some people say otherwise is because he left us for Madrid and achieved even more! His performances for Utd alone are by far enough to earn him legend status. However, there are of course some players who are bigger legends than others (frankly that’s fecking obvious). The class of 92 not only brought success but also a fierce loyalty and love for Utd and Utd alone. Of course that elevates them as legends, even if individually they never peaked as high as Ronaldo do. That’s simply because Ronaldo is one of the best to ever play the game, only a handful of players in history have his combination of talent and drive. No other player comes close for me in terms of his Utd peak.

crossy1686

career ending
You ignored my reply earlier. Bobby Charlton won the European Cup, World Cup, League and Balon d'or at United and scoring twice in our first ever European Cup win. He also ended his career the record scorer and appearance maker for his club and country. How is Ronaldo far better than that? How is Charlton not even close?
You're speaking to people who haven't been supporting the club long or either have a very different understanding of what a 'legend' actually is

cyberman

Cavani missed over 50 games to injury over the last 3 seasons. Cristiano missed less than 10

Age is a number, what matters is how the body is holding up. Cavani's body is not, he has maybe 25 games at a top level in him over a season. Cristiano's body has over 40

City would basically be getting 18/19 Aguero
Not the same type of player. Cavani can make an impact because he is still all action. He is drifting left and right and pressing off the ball. That’s not Ronaldo because he can’t do that or simply doesn’t want to.
Cavani scoring goals means very little for Ronaldos chances. I can’t think of any strikers who lose their pace or become static off the ball that is a success in England. Aguero himself is a great example of this.

Pickle85

Law Charlton and Best with out a doubt, but who is a legend or best ever player is very subjective.
How many people outside of United fans do you think have those three top five of all time? How many do you think have Ronaldo? I think that tells you something. I agree that they're bigger United legends and did more for us but better players overall? Not for me.

pauldyson1uk

Bigger legends I agree. Better players not even close. As good as Giggs was he’s levels below the best of Ronaldo we saw, Cantona likewise. You are letting your affection for those players, or perhaps dislike of Ronaldo, cloud the reality. He’s the player with the most ability, who peaked the highest and who went on to achieve the most in his career, even if a lot of that was outside of Utd.

Think of it like this, if you could pick one player to put into the side, you would pick that Ronaldo from 2006-2009 over any other.
So you think Best Law and Charlton are not even close to Ronaldo. That is just crazy.
Where have I said I dislike Ronaldo ?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The fact is this Ronaldo is one of the few Utd players to have won the Balon Dor while at the club. He’s also only elevated his status since leaving the club to GOAT status for many fans.
The other three are obvious "United legends" by almost any standard. Ronaldo isn't an obvious "United legend" for a large segment of our fan base. That's just a fact - it seems hard for Ronaldo fans (who also identify as United fans) to accept this, but there it is.

And - yes, Law is a "United legend" (by almost any standard) in spite of the fact that he played for City *. So - it isn't about that. It's the overall context.

The bit in bold is irrelevant. Why would him elevating his status after he left United make him more of a "United legend"?

* His famous reaction to scoring that goal probably boosted his status as a legend more than anything.

TrustInJanuzaj

Best, Charlton, Cantona & Keane are the four that immediately stand out.
Let’s just take cantona as an example though. I mean he’s clearly just not the better footballer is he? Yes he’s a bigger legend, he’s the bloody king! But ignore that for a second and he was playing at Leeds for years under the radar. He was probably not even the best player to play in the premier league, in fact none of those players (bar maybe Best,Charlton). Ronaldo was the best player to ever step foot in the premier league and had he stayed at this club, not only would be our record goal scorer but he would have absolutely smashed the premier league goal record too. I just need to understand by which metrics you are judging ‘better’ based upon, it quite clearly isn’t peak or ability.

TrustInJanuzaj

The other three are obvious "United legends" by almost any standard. Ronaldo isn't an obvious "United legend" for a large segment of our fan base. That's just a fact - it seems hard for Ronaldo fans (who also identify as United fans) to accept this, but there it is.

And - yes, Law is a "United legend" (by almost any standard) in spite of the fact that he played for City. So - it isn't about that. It's the overall context.

The bit in bold is irrelevant. Why would him elevating his status after he left United make him more of a "United legend"?
Christ on a bike I haven’t argued once in this thread about his legend status at Utd. Can you please just read what I’m saying. He’s quite clearly NOT the biggest Utd LEGEND. He is however the BEST PLAYER (based on ability, peak, and achievements) ever to play for Utd. That is the entirety of my point.

studs

Twelve years is a long time out of the premier league for Ronaldo, it wont be easy for him this time around.

dal

When he comes back with city would it be rude for the announcer not to say, welcome back Cristianoooo Ronaldoooooo?

Spoony

The People's President
Let’s just take cantona as an example though. I mean he’s clearly just not the better footballer is he? Yes he’s a bigger legend, he’s the bloody king! But ignore that for a second and he was playing at Leeds for years under the radar. He was probably not even the best player to play in the premier league, in fact none of those players (bar maybe Best,Charlton). Ronaldo was the best player to ever step foot in the premier league and had he stayed at this club, not only would be our record goal scorer but he would have absolutely smashed the premier league goal record too. I just need to understand by which metrics you are judging ‘better’ based upon, it quite clearly isn’t peak or ability.

Had he stayed at the club, but he didn't. He gave us two immense seasons prior to that he was frustrating. His status and fanbase has increased since joining Real..these aren't United fans, they love Ronaldo the Real legend.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Not the same type of player. Cavani can make an impact because he is still all action. He is drifting left and right and pressing off the ball. That’s not Ronaldo because he can’t do that or simply doesn’t want to.
Cavani scoring goals means very little for Ronaldos chances. I can’t think of any strikers who lose their pace or become static off the ball that is a success in England. Aguero himself is a great example of this.
Cristiano scored 36 goals last season. He's neither static nor has he lost pace

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
He'll break the great mans heart if he goes that plastic soulless club who can't fill a 40000 seat stadium.

TrustInJanuzaj

Like I say, the definition of what constitutes a club legend is different for everyone.

Are you both saying that if Ronaldo had less ambition to win trophies and joined Leeds United instead of City, you would be ok with that and still consider him a legend?
Joining Leeds is certainly more palatable than joining City yes, but it’s a moot point because one of the greatest of all time isn’t joining Leeds whereas there are only a very small pool of teams better than Utd.

TrustInJanuzaj

You ignored my reply earlier. Bobby Charlton won the European Cup, World Cup, League and Balon d'or at United and scoring twice in our first ever European Cup win. He also ended his career the record scorer and appearance maker for his club and country. How is Ronaldo's 6 seasons at United far better than that? How is Charlton not even close?
I’m of the opinion it’s hard to compare footballers that far apart in generations. Charlton is a fair shout, maybe best but I think in the modern era (which lets be honest most people refer too) he’s objectively the best player we have had.

Jordi

It’s just City trying to emulate us again. We built our way to the top, developing top players like Ronaldo. City buy them, they’d buy a fan base if they thought they could. :)
I think they might accomplish that, to a degree, with this move.

All the CR7 fanboys will flock. That may not translate to the stadium but will boost there global recognition.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Christ on a bike I haven’t argued once in this thread about his legend status at Utd. Can you please just read what I’m saying. He’s quite clearly NOT the biggest Utd LEGEND. He is however the BEST PLAYER (based on ability, peak, and achievements) ever to play for Utd. That is the entirety of my point.
Doesn't really matter what he did outside of United. As United players go Rooney was far better.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
He is however the BEST PLAYER (based on ability, peak, and achievements) ever to play for Utd.
Alright - sorry, I just assumed you were talking about the "legend" status.

Whether he's actually the best (based on your criteria) is still debatable - but fair enough, I misread your post.

TrustInJanuzaj

So you think Best Law and Charlton are not even close to Ronaldo. That is just crazy.
Where have I said I dislike Ronaldo ?
I mean Best is a legend and a genius, he was also a chronic alcoholic who if he played in the modern era wouldn’t have matched Ronaldo. It’s stupid to compare across that amount of time anyway, same with dragging pele into the Goat debate. It’s almost a different sport.

JB7

Impact on the team. Ronaldo was incredible, no doubt about it. He was a big part of an incredible team. Cantona & Keane led teams to titles & trophies they had no right winning.

Cantona suffers from being so early in the PL era otherwise it would be more than just United fans who rate him as highly & Keane is one that history has looked back on unkindly because he’s looked at as a thug basically. But they were both unbelievable footballers.

Ronaldo peaked after he left United so it’s unfair to use his peak as a comparison metric.

manutddjw

He’s a prick and I’m not surprised he would go to City. As soon as he was good enough he wanted out of here even comparing not being able to move to slavery. His movie where we’re barely mentioned should’ve let everyone know how he views us.

I feel sad for the Ronaldo worshippers who insisted he cared about United. No doubt in my mind before we play city, he’s going to make some comment that he still loves United and they’ll eat it up.

TrustInJanuzaj

Had he stayed at the club, but he didn't. He gave us two immense seasons prior to that he was frustrating. His status and fanbase has increased since joining Real..these aren't United fans, they love Ronaldo the Real legend.
Of course what he did after Utd has elevated his Utd career, because it now means that we were privileged to watch one of the best of all time play for our club. The fact he went on to achieve so much just adds to the amazing things he did for Utd. I don’t love him because of his Real spell, I love him because of what he did for Utd. That’s what he ruins by going to city.

pauldyson1uk

I mean Best is a legend and a genius, he was also a chronic alcoholic who if he played in the modern era wouldn’t have matched Ronaldo. It’s stupid to compare across that amount of time anyway, same with dragging pele into the Goat debate. It’s almost a different sport.
fair point, I don't dislike Ronaldo and think he has improved as a player since he left us, I just personally don't think he is our best ever player, simple as that.

TrustInJanuzaj

Rooney did stay at the club and did become our record goal scorer. That doesn't make him our best ever player.
No because in the time they were at the club together Ronaldo was clearly the better player under every metric both measurable and observable!

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Ronaldo will have seen the Champions League draw and swiftly hung up on Pep. He doesn't want to get smoked by Messi again.

Status
Not open for further replies.