Cristiano Ronaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
You mean bleak because he broke a kid's wrist? Don't worry, he didn't take it out on him because he isn't moving here, the kid was doing wanker gestures because he was in the Real madrid kit. He'll soon realise his errors.

7dan

Its getting tickly now–squeaky-bum time, I call it
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...-news/manchester-united-hunt-80m-real-5325530

Cristiano Ronaldo has today re-emerged as United’s top target – and the champions will not baulk at Real Madrid’s £80m asking price.
The Reds, aware of a fans’ backlash especially if they lose Wayne Rooney and don’t land Cesc Fabregas, have one of the club’s favourite sons firmly back on the radar.
New boss David and chief executive Ed Woodward are closely monitoring developments with an unprecedented number of big-money transfers involving Europe’s top clubs on the boil.
Moyes does not want to miss out on Ronaldo, who rivals Lionel Messi as the best player in the world, especially as Arsenal could dramatically increase their fire-power by landing Luis Suarez from Liverpool.
Paris St Germain have signed Edinson Cavani, City have brought in strikers Alvaro Negrado and Stevan Jovetic...and that’s not taking into consideration Chelsea’s determination to woo want-away Rooney from Old Trafford.
The trigger for a formal United move for Ronaldo, who left Manchester for Madrid in 2009 for a world record fee of £80m, could well be if Real successfully sign Gareth Bale.
Even if the Tottenham ace does join Carlo Ancelotti’s aristocrats, United would then become embroiled in a battle with PSG for Ronaldo, who has two years left on his Madrid contract.
But if Moyes does pull off a sensational coup in bringing the Portuguese superstar back to United, it would wipe away any disappointment about losing Rooney to a Premier League rival and missing out on Barcelona play-maker Fabregas.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Yea I'd be well annoyed if we got the second best player in the world back in our team.

I'd much rather see some more 0's on the bank balance.

NinjaFletch

Really...? I understand that its a huge price for his age, but he's the best/second best/joint best player in the world. He's fecking Cristiano Ronaldo
Partly that, but also the fact that if we sign him back for £80m we've effectively given Real Madrid him for free for 4 of his best footballing years, and he'll be 29 this season. Really don't think he'll age well, either.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
I think I'd actually be annoyed if we spent £80m on him.
Who cares about the money? It's not like there is a risk attached to it in terms of what we get for the £80 million. It's fecking Ronaldo!

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Partly that, but also the fact that if we sign him back for £80m we've effectively given Real Madrid him for free for 4 of his best footballing years, and he'll be 29 this season. Really don't think he'll age well, either.
Really? Why? I reckon he will be able to play at the highest level for a long time. He's a model professional in pretty much every sense of the word.

NinjaFletch

Really? Why? I reckon he will be able to play at the highest level for a long time. He's a model professional in pretty much every sense of the word.
I agree that he's a model professional, but you have to expect a serious drop off in terms of his pace and power in about 4 or 5 years time, that's just natural for a player passing 33.

I expect what we'll see is a transition from him off of the left wing into a more static, central role, and he'll probably still score a bucket load of goals. I just can't see him being the truly terrifying package he is right now against the biological odds once he ages, despite how fit he is.

In hindsight, I wouldn't be THAT annoyed. I'd spunk myself silly, actually, but there would be a little bit of me that would resent missing out on 4 years of him and having nothing, not even a penny, to show for it.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Its back on ! Check the twitter thread. A Coronation St actor has heard we are signing someone on August 8th! Sound familiar ? Its a cast iron certainty !

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I agree that he's a model professional, but you have to expect a serious drop off in terms of his pace and power in about 4 or 5 years time, that's just natural for a player passing 33.

I expect what we'll see is a transition from him off of the left wing into a more static, central role, and he'll probably still score a bucket load of goals. I just can't see him being the truly terrifying package he is right now against the biological odds once he ages, despite how fit he is.

In hindsight, I wouldn't be THAT annoyed. I'd spunk myself silly, actually, but there would be a little bit of me that would resent missing out on 4 years of him and having nothing, not even a penny, to show for it.
So he'll go from scoring 50-60 goals a season to 25-35, I say do everything possible to sign him up :drool:

Hectic

Supports
30fps

I'm not really sure he will have a massive drop off around 33. But let's say he does and his end product decreases to around half of what he's producing now, we would have had 4 years of the same Ronaldo that has scored 201 goals in 199 games for Madrid in the last four seasons. That's worth the £80 million alone, but even after that I think Ronaldo will be an effective player in his mid to late thirties anyway. I think what it shows is that a lot of us would take him for the amount we sold him right now, which means £80 million was somehow a bargain for Madrid, given what he has achieved for them in the last 4 seasons.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
I genuinely think that my bump of this thread yesterday is what fuelled the few reports about us being back in for him today.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Some guy who plays a nutter in Coronation Street hinting that we'll sign Ronaldo on 8th August makes the Fabregas signing look nailed on in comparison!

How the guy reckons we're "delaying" the announcement, until then to not take the shine off Ferdy's testimonial the next day I don't know.

If we signed him on the 8th, no one would even give a sh!T about the testimonial!

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
It's absolute tripe, just stop living in dreamland fellow muppets. This one will never happen.
I don't think there's any chance of us getting him this Summer. Next Summer looks more likely for both him and Bale.

The bad news is with ll these new kids at Real, him being more senior, and Real in the ascendancy next season (while Barca keeps looking like gradually losing their oomph), I can see him deciding to be part of that. He certainly won't come here now to be part of the post-SAF project. Surely he would wait and see how it pans out for a season?

antohan

I'm not being a muppet, I've thought that for ages. World Cup year as well, why upset the applecart? Any players relatively settled at a big club who are starters for their NT, would probably not move unless there's a truckload of money for them in it.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
You actually believe Ronaldo and/or Bale will be remotely attainable for us next summer? You absolute weapon. :lol:

gormless

I'm not being a muppet, I've thought that for ages. World Cup year as well, why upset the applecart? Any players relatively settled at a big club who are starters for their NT, would probably not move unless there's a truckload of money for them in it.

World Cup year? I can't think of any two players who would be less affected by it being a World Cup year. One's Welsh, the other is the second best player in the world. Ronaldo could not kick a ball all season and Portugal would still pick him

antohan

Ronaldo's concern wouldn't be being picked but performing. Changing clubs is a major upheaval, particularly if it is a club with new management.

Re: Bale, I reckon Madrid fancy him as Ronaldo's possible replacement, the WC thing doesn't apply to him obviously.

Bebe

Ronaldo's concern wouldn't be being picked but performing. Changing clubs is a major upheaval, particularly if it is a club with new management.

Re: Bale, I reckon Madrid fancy him as Ronaldo's possible replacement, the WC thing doesn't apply to him obviously.
Ronaldo's got a half decent track record in England though to be fair.

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
You actually believe Ronaldo and/or Bale will be remotely attainable for us next summer? You absolute weapon. :lol:

Assuming nothing changes with Ronaldo he'll be a year from going on a free - that's a reasonably attainable position.

Certainly a lot more than he is in now.

RE: The World Cup year - I doubt it would affect him either way. Even if he has the mother of all shit seasons by his standards Portugal would still take him.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Really...? I understand that its a huge price for his age, but he's the best/second best/joint best player in the world. He's fecking Cristiano Ronaldo

No.

Prices in football nowadays are crazy. Cavani, Suarez, Falcao are all 50m+ players apparently so 80m for Ronaldo is probably about right, sadly.

antohan

Ronaldo's got a half decent track record in England though to be fair.
I think you are underestimating what a difficult season we have ahead of us. The entire squad will be in the pressure cooker from Day 1. It's not the most attractive environment to walk into as a new signing and if you are in a position where you can choose (as Ronaldo is) you would avoid it.

Imagine for a minute you are Ronaldo:
  • Will we still be keen on him next Summer? Obviously we would.
  • Would it be easier to sort out with a year left on his contract? Of course.
  • Do you want to see how the new Madrid gets on? Of course, it's looking like a great side for the next 5 years.
  • Do you want to see whether this whole Moyes thing works before deciding? Yups, cold feet about this.
  • Do you want to reclaim the Ballon d'Or and see some weaknesses creeping into Barca and starting to affect Messi's chances? Indeed.
You would be a real idiot to be looking for the move now and not next Summer.

antohan

RE: The World Cup year - I doubt it would affect him either way. Even if he has the mother of all shit seasons by his standards Portugal would still take him.
As I said, it isn't about being picked but performing. He will never win it, but he wants to be seen as BPITW again, not just second best, let alone third. The World Cup has a massive impact on that. The worst way to prepare is joining a club undergoing a difficult transition. He doesn't have that many peak seasons in the tank to piss one away on an unknown quantity.

I don't mean as a criticism of Moyes, it was always going to be an issue post-SAF. Next Summer it will all be clearer, and with a year left on his deal it will be easier to push for a move with no fear over repercussions (two years stuck at a club you fell out over a move with? you wouldn't risk that). Right now it is mental, just mental.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
There's absolutely no way we're going to sign Bale and Ronaldo next summer. We may have a bit to spend but I just don't think we'll have the money to buy the two of them. Ronaldo will be around £80m and Bale probably around £60m. Whether that's too much or not is a different question, but I'd say our chances of getting either are slim, nevermind getting both of them.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
There's absolutely no way we're going to sign Bale and Ronaldo next summer. We may have a bit to spend but I just don't think we'll have the money to buy the two of them. Ronaldo will be around £80m and Bale probably around £60m. Whether that's too much or not is a different question, but I'd say our chances of getting either are slim, nevermind getting both of them.
Au contraire, mon ami! Ronaldo wont cost £80m next summer since he will be closer to 30 and will have only one year left in his contract.

antohan

If you think I suggested that, may I clarify my thinking was next Summer Bale would join Madrid to replace Ronaldo coming to us. I don't think even Madrid want/expect to have both simultaneously.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
But would Ronaldo want to come back to England to live in Manchester when he is so close to his family and his own culture/language and friends. Not to mention the weather etc. Add in to the mix with Utd he has "been there done that" (not his words) why would he want to do it again especially as the man he respects so much, Ferguson, is no longer running the team.
So a big question in all of this is, does he even want to come back, I doubt he does. Hope Im wrong though.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
""I've trained tons of talented players," Ancelotti said. "But Ronaldo is a phenomenon. He has an incredible talent, physical quality, and I'm extremely happy to be able to coach him.

"He's very professional, and I'm convinced he's going to have a great season."

Trying to convince him to stay by sucking up to him in the media won't work Carlo. Cocks out!

Status
Not open for further replies.