Cristiano Ronaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossa

I agree that he's a model professional, but you have to expect a serious drop off in terms of his pace and power in about 4 or 5 years time, that's just natural for a player passing 33.

Why? Linford Christie ran 9.96 and won the WC at the age of 32. He's far from the exception too. Most guys seem to think that people lose a dramatic amount of pace after 32-33 or so because we have Giggs etc. That was down to injuries throughout his twenties that caught up with him (still outruns quite a few younger defenders though). Although you start losing pace with age, some claim as early as 24 others as late as 35, it is not nearly as much as people suggest. It is mostly down to injuries and mentality. If you are hungry, train well and avoid injuries, you can remain almost as fast for a very long time. There is no reason to believe there will be a serious drop off - silly thing to say!

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Far from the exception? How many other sprinters won a WC after the age of 30?

Most guys seem to think that people lose a dramatic amount of pace after 32-33 because they do. Some faster than other, but I don't remember many fast players beyond that age.

That said, I think Ronaldo should be able to remain fairly useful after that age if he remains fit. It's not just pace, his killer instinct and shooting will be around for longer than that, hopefully, and they're arguably more important than his pace. It's not like he's Michael Owen or Theo Walcott, his game is a lot more complete than that.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Why? Linford Christie ran 9.96 and won the WC at the age of 32. He's far from the exception too. Most guys seem to think that people lose a dramatic amount of pace after 32-33 or so because we have Giggs etc. That was down to injuries throughout his twenties that caught up with him (still outruns quite a few younger defenders though). Although you start losing pace with age, some claim as early as 24 others as late as 35, it is not nearly as much as people suggest. It is mostly down to injuries and mentality. If you are hungry, train well and avoid injuries, you can remain almost as fast for a very long time. There is no reason to believe there will be a serious drop off - silly thing to say!
Who was it that done their hamstring chasing him recently?

Hectic

Supports
30fps
When you have a forum populated by 18-22 year olds, of course they think a 32 year old is a pensioner.
That's not really true Colin. Football fans tend to think 32 is old on here or anywhere because it's always been that way in football, you reach the thirties or around that age and a decline is expected or at least that's what the majority of fans anywhere expect, not sure it has anything to do with the average age of a forum. I think people particularly go over the top with Ronaldo because he is an exception, they believe his qualities are only so good when he's at an age where fitness and stamina etc won't effect him to the level it would do around 32-33, and therefore he will experience a major drop in quality because of that loss. I don't see it myself, I think he will be one of the world's best around that age and still be very productive. He could drastically change his game to compensate for a loss of speed and overall game stamina by just sticking further up the field and focusing on his incredible finishing anyway.

gaz1185

Bale to Real opens the door for Ronaldo to United :)
Been saying since the end of the season that if Bale goes to Madrid surely we'll have the opportunity to sign Ronaldo back - I know it's unlikely, but I've still got a (muppet)hunch it will happen!!

Shark

@NotShark
Given how high and ridiculous Madrid's apparent first offer was for Bale, they obviously want to seal him very quickly and avoid a drawn out saga.

Almost seems like a panic buy. :wenger:

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
Come home Ronnie come home!

I mean lets put it this way, you don't want to get outshines by the mighty bale do you? Come home mother fecker!

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
In all seriousness, is there perhaps even a slight possibility of this happening now? Thought the chances of us signing him were 0% but the Bale move to Madrid..... £85 million on top of the £30 million spent on that Spanish CM... a lot of money spent.

gaz1185

In all seriousness, is there perhaps even a slight possibility of this happening now? Thought the chances of us signing him were 0% but the Bale move to Madrid..... £85 million on top of the £30 million spent on that Spanish CM... a lot of money spent.
They've spent £63m on players so far (Carvajal, Casemiro, Isco & Illarramendi) but have raised £56m on sales (Higuain, Albiol, Callejon & Pedro Leon) - so technically they've only spent £92m (if Bale goes)...

I say only, that's a fecking lot, they need to sell Ron!

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
They've spent £63m on players so far (Carvajal, Casemiro, Isco & Illarramendi) but have raised £56m on sales (Higuain, Albiol, Callejon & Pedro Leon) - so technically they've only spent £92m (if Bale goes)...

I say only, that's a fecking lot, they need to sell Ron!

Some type of Ronaldo/Rooney swap deal would be ideal for us.

Woodzy

I'd say there would be a strong possibility of this happening if Bale goes, but I have been unrealistically optimistic since we bid for Cesc the first time round.

In all honesty though, i'd say if we did actually have Ronaldo sewn up a while ago as rumoured, then a big reason to keep it had to be kept quiet was so Madrid that they could get a marquee replacement to keep the fans from kicking off. Bale, barring Messi, is the best replacement they could get. I reckon it's unlicky Bale would be a catalyst for Ronaldo leaving, definitely more of a replacement for Ronnie actually wanting out.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Take this with a pinch of salt but a mate of mine played in a football tourney in Manchester recently, United's chief scout was present and talking to the lads and when he was asked about Ronnie he said it was "60/40" in favour of him moving to us this summer. Something about sponsorship deals with Nike and Chevrolet. Don't know if that means with us or with Ronaldo himself. As I said, probably nothing in it, but *** away muppeteers.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
The fact that he still hasn't signed a new deal even though rumours about talks between the player and the club have been circulating for a while suggests that staying at Madrid might not be as clear cut as people may think. He's 28 so they probably don't want to give him a 5-year deal with high wages because they aren't sure how good he's going to be when he loses a bit of pace etc., and he might want to change the environment at some point. I still reckon it's extremely unlikely that he'll come back but with the £85m bid for Bale it does seem more likely than before.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
So we are buying him for sure then? I mean Ruud10 clearly is convinced, he says it is so, look

Ruud10 said:
Its on. You heard it first here.
Good times, when do we unveil him then?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
They're getting Bale cos they know that Ronaldo want a Real exit.
I'd be surprised if they can afford £85m+ Bale's wages (you could say he might not command the highest of wages but his agent will surely negotiate him as the £85m player he will be?) and offer Ronaldo a new contract that will keep him happy at the same time? I can't see him liking them breaking his record to get a similar player either.

Who will get that left inside forward position anyway?

dmode

I'd be surprised if they can afford £85m+ Bale's wages (you could say he might not command the highest of wages but his agent will surely negotiate him as the £85m player he will be?) and offer Ronaldo a new contract that will keep him happy at the same time? I can't see him liking them breaking his record to get a similar player either.

Who will get that left inside forward position anyway?

I see Ronaldo wearing our jersey sooner or later... no one can deny that.

SuecoGitano

They're getting Bale cos they know that Ronaldo want a Real exit.
nope. getting Bale cause its the policy of the club to buy a star every year...and there arent tht many around...and Perez probably got pissed off cause BArca got Neymar

Status
Not open for further replies.