Cristiano Ronaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
It would be incredibly cliche, but I have an urge to post a GIF of O'Shea on Figo.

Of course, he still has extraordinary ability with the ball at his feet - he still has plenty more technique and skill and tricks available than not only the average player, but the average world class player.

But at United, you saw him pull off things constantly - every single week, and you don't see that anymore. I think it's partially to do with the fact he's bulked up, he's a little less agile than before. But it's also a choice, he chooses to carry the ball forward/shoot/pass - he wants to be effective with the ball rather than showing off.

Whether by choice, or his ability is less - we see it far far less often - and that is what matters.

I still love watching Ronaldo play, he is the most complete footballer I've ever seen - but if I'm honest, I miss the show kid who loved to take the piss, and not just because he no longer plays for United.
I think it's more to do with the fact that he's all about productivity now. Why waste time doing stepovers when he can just run past the defender knowing that the only way they can stop him is to foul and give him a shot at goal with a free-kick.

Tibs

I'm desperate for him.

feck next August, let's get him in January

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I'm a little surprised he doesn't just have more hat-tricks in general. Especially in the Spanish Cup and UCL.
You're a little surprised that of his 277 goals in 465 games, only 66 of them have come from Hat-Tricks? Nearly a quarter of all his goals he has ever scored have been in triplets and you thought it'd be more?!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
for us he kept getting 2 goals all the time, I remember people asking when he would get his hattrick

Yeah, it became like a running joke at one stage. Two goals and the third one wouldn't come - he'd miss sitters in his attempt. The Stretford End used to sing the traditional, "What the fecking hell was that," song to celebrate.

NinjaFletch

You're a little surprised that of his 277 goals in 465 games, only 66 of them have come from Hat-Tricks? Nearly a quarter of all his goals he has ever scored have been in triplets and you thought it'd be more?!

Tbf the amount of chances he gets a game he could probably score about a 1/3 more than he does and I wouldn't really bat an eyelid.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Those headers were fantastic and at crucial moments.. funnily enough most of his key matchwinning moments in big matches have always been headers, truly is a world class header of the ball.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
When he first came to England he looked as if he'd never headed the ball in his life. He obviously thought 'I'm a big guy with good athleticism, I can teach myself to do this and have another weapon in my armoury'.
Kinda mad that though but you're probably not far off.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
He's an absolute phenomenon, he was unreal with us but he's gone up a few levels since he's left. He is the ultimate footballer and if you could custom make a player, he'd basically be it.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
When he first came to England he looked as if he'd never headed the ball in his life. He obviously thought 'I'm a big guy with good athleticism, I can teach myself to do this and have another weapon in my armoury'.

Don't know Pete, he looked like he'd never be a good header cause of the pretty boy vibe, but in Euro 2004, scored a header, scored a header in FA Cup final.. so he's always had it in his locker. Even remember watching some pre-united vids of him for Lisbon recently and he still was going for headers. Unbelievable that a guy like him whose so vain is so brave when it comes to headers, hats off to him.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Ferguson also revealed: "We knew he had two great feet when we signed him, but I had no idea he had such fantastic ability in the air.

"When Walter Smith was at the club I kept telling him about Ronaldo's heading ability. After three games, Walter complained he hadn't seen him jump. Then he scored a brilliant header against Birmingham. Walter turned to me and said: 'I won't mention it again!'."

Walter Smith was with United in 2004. So I guess Ronaldo was always good at it. It's just that it sounds so improbable that the Portuguese winger, with the pretty boy looks was so willing to throw himself into the action like that - defies stereotypes!

Baxter

Read that he got 25 braces for United. I do remember that it took him ages to finally get a hat trick for us. Pretty sure it was against Newcastle.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Iv heard Ronaldo talk about how he suddenly started scoring so many in the air, he said that the Utd staff sprained to him that he'd be really good at it and should start trying to do so, so he did and he was! Seems really simple but really goes to show how raw he was when he arrived.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Manchester United still want to lure Cristiano Ronaldo
The prospect of a deal, which seems to be becoming an obsession at Old Trafford, goes back nearly a year and goes some way to explaining what is now perceived as United’s ‘bungled’ activity during the transfer window. That ended up with United paying £5million more for Marouane Fellaini on deadline day than they could have signed him a few weeks sooner. And that was it.
As a consequence the club’s new chief executive Ed Woodward is already getting flak for being ‘out of his depth’. Maybe those who say recently departed predecessor David Gill could be missed as much as Alex Ferguson may have a point.

But in his defence Woodward was adhering to a plot that Ferguson and Gill had hatched over a year ago to buy Ronaldo back from Real Madrid and with the financial backing of the club’s owners.
Effectively United had set aside all their funds this summer in the belief they could buy Ronaldo back…yes, at £80million and with a Galactico wage packet, part-paid by a unique commercial package with the player, part and parcel of United’s commercial expansion in the Far East, India and Africa. Over the last year or so United have spent £2million on market research of how best to ‘grow their brand’ worldwide …and Ronaldo was seen as part of the project.

It was only two weeks before the deadline that Woodward started to admit to people that the attempt to get Ronaldo would not happen during this window. Then a bit of panic set in.

The reason? Several factors. One was how long it took Madrid to sign Gareth Bale then Ronaldo’s own indecision, which was partly due to the change of regime at United.And then there is the question of the incentives Ronaldo’s agent Jorge Mendes would get to broker the deal. But already Ronaldo has started to make noises that he might not stay at Madrid for much longer.
He’s already had a dig at Bale, moaning that the Welshman’s arrival has forced his pal Mesut Ozil out of the club.

And I understand that Ronaldo’s people have now told Madrid that to sign a new contract with the club he wants to earn two million euros a year more than Barcelona’s Lionel Messi… whose basic is in the region of 10 million euros a year.
United could only compete with those wages on the basis of a renewed and complex commercial deal, but it’s not out the question given the potential global income on the back of Ronaldo.

And United do still have a No 7 shirt vacant... A new attempt to bring back Ronaldo could happen in January or next summer. It is understood Ronaldo remains tempted by the romance of returning to United but if he and his advisers decide his future is all about money then he will end up at tax-free Monaco who have a strong working relationship with Mendes.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...hepherd-Football-Grapevine.html#ixzz2eFh8GdDY
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Lailiani

(Sadly not) Banned
'I feel confidence.' :D He used to say this all the time. And he will say it again - next year, when he's back.

'With Cristiano, it's always polemic.' 'Maybe I'm too good.' Cristiano is truly legendary, on and off the pitch.

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
Read that he got 25 braces for United. I do remember that it took him ages to finally get a hat trick for us. Pretty sure it was against Newcastle.
It was, he signed my shirt that day I'll never forget it.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Effectively United had set aside all their funds this summer in the belief they could buy Ronaldo back…yes, at £80million and with a Galactico wage packet, part-paid by a unique commercial package with the player, part and parcel of United’s commercial expansion in the Far East, India and Africa. Over the last year or so United have spent £2million on market research of how best to ‘grow their brand’ worldwide …and Ronaldo was seen as part of the project.
:lol:

LR7

Not the first time I've seen it, but you never tire of it. Ronaldo all the goals is on MUTV. :drool:

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
I had a dream last night that he was playing for us and scoring goals for fun.

It's on?

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly

He really is a machine. £80milion was a bargain in hindsight for Madrid. The (standard of) goals he has scored for Madrid have been magnificent.

Status
Not open for further replies.