Cristiano Ronaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walters_19_MuFc

Great player, but still an arsehole by the looks of it. Don't think he celebrated when Bale scored, and was never going to be content if he didn't score, regardless of whether Real won.

Congratulations, Real Madrid. It's about time.

Kag

He was crap tonight. Granted he's had a superb tournament and was vital to Real Madrid winning it, but he was poor tonight.
I don't dispute that, I just applauded him professionally. He's a stroppy bastard, but he loves his football and never gives in.

Ady87

I imagine for a player of his ability playing in the same generation as Messi, watching Messi collect award after award and title after title (domestic and European), scoring a record number of goals in the champions league and nailing a penalty in the final (deciding goal or not), it must feel fecking fantastic. Taking your top off isn't something new and given the circumstances I don't think it was an over reaction in the slightest.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
It's a bit strange that you can't possibly understand that people have different views on people's actions. I'd even go as far to suggest that the alternative view might not even be agenda-driven. If he celebrated like Bale no-one would even mention him. Surely you can see that? It's nothing to do with "fecking hell, it's that greasy Portugese knob celebrating again, I wish he'd just piss off", it's to do with how he actually celebrated. If Ramos did that everyone would call him a knob and no-one would even argue against it. It's just that people take some kind of offence to Ronaldo being criticised.
Fair enough but yours is definitely agenda driven since i´ve read your posts about him for years now and your views and animosity is crystal clear. Nothing wrong with that, everyone has their own preferences. And i don´t take offence to Ronaldo being criticised at all, like i said i don´t care about that. I would probably care if he was a Sporting player. I´m pleased he won it (and Pepe) but i actually felt sorry for Atlético.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
I imagine for a player of his ability playing in the same generation as Messi, watching Messi collect award after award and title after title (domestic and European), scoring a record number of goals in the champions league and nailing a penalty in the final (deciding goal or not), it must feel fecking fantastic. Taking your top off isn't something new and given the circumstances I don't think it was an over reaction in the slightest.
spot on, it's his time to celebrate and he should do it the way he wants

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Who cares if it's played out in the media that it's about him. He has worked so hard to get where he is. Yes, he has a selfish streak but he also does so much for his teams that people don't want to focus on. A truly great player that we have all be fortunate enough to witness.

An Irish Red

I like him for what he did for us but anyone denying that his ego is insane is either deluded or lying.

The over the top celebration and posing was all for the cameras. He wants to be the iconic image of this final, that's just the way he is.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The bloke came back from injury. He clearly wasn't 100%. If this wasn't the final he wouldn't have played. He worked for the team both ways, passed when needed, and shot when necessary. Getting worked up over the penalty celebration is so fecking petty.

Ole'sbodyguard

I like him for what he did for us but anyone denying that his ego is insane is either deluded or lying.

The over the top celebration and posing was all for the cameras. He wants to be the iconic image of this final, that's just the way he is.
Exactly. He's always been like that and does not hide it.

Does not make him a twat in my eyes. He's a serial winner and incredibly driven who has a gargantuan ego to match.

Lailiani

(Sadly not) Banned
It's a bit strange that you can't possibly understand that people have different views on people's actions. I'd even go as far to suggest that the alternative view might not even be agenda-driven. If he celebrated like Bale no-one would even mention him. Surely you can see that? It's nothing to do with "fecking hell, it's that greasy Portugese knob celebrating again, I wish he'd just piss off", it's to do with how he actually celebrated. If Ramos did that everyone would call him a knob and no-one would even argue against it. It's just that people take some kind of offence to Ronaldo being criticised or have this misguided view that an kind of negative view is because of an agenda.
1. You DO have an Agenda.
2. You sound pretentious, like a Brad Pitt perfume ad.

You don't like him, it's as simple as that. Don't pretend it has something to do with how he actually behaves.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Great player, but still an arsehole by the looks of it. Don't think he celebrated when Bale scored, and was never going to be content if he didn't score, regardless of whether Real
Get a grip. Football is theatre. If the game was full of players with magnolia personalities like Messi it would be worse off for it.

When Bale scored Ronaldo had just ran the entire length of the pitch to tackle an Athletico player on the edge of his own box. He looked absolutely shattered and was walking back.

Ronaldo is supposed to be a stand up guy in real life. Hayley McQueen said that he used to brew up for the reception staff when he was at United and that he is the total opposite of his public persona. He also does a lot of charity work for which he seeks no publicity.

That he isn't content if he doesn't score makes him the great player that he is. 17 goals in 11 games in this competition is a big part of why his teammates have won that trophy. Do you think that Bale and co would want to change him?

Ady87

Exactly. He's always been like that and does not hide it.

Does not make him a twat in my eyes. He's a serial winner and incredibly driven who has a gargantuan ego to match.
Very important point. His ego is no bigger than his ability and his achievements. There are players from Ibra to Bendtner with varying degrees of ability and ego but Ronaldo has it spot on!

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Fair enough but yours is definitely agenda driven since i´ve read your posts about him for years now and your views and animosity is crystal clear. Nothing wrong with that, everyone has their own preferences. And i don´t take offence to Ronaldo being criticised at all, like i said i don´t care about that. I would probably care if he was a Sporting player. I´m pleased he won it (and Pepe) but i actually felt sorry for Atlético.
I don't think that's the right use of the word agenda. I don't like his public persona and when it happens to be on-topic I'll mention that. I actually think he played better than many are saying here particularly in the second half. If Bale had made better decisions Ronaldo would've put them in front or equalised much earlier and he wasn't overly selfish. Would've got an assist too if Bale could finish. Certainly nothing like his performance in 08/09. If not for the last couple of minutes I wouldn't have had a bad word to say about him. I just thought it was annoying that he was completely unable to recognise that there were more important things going on right then than his own personal glory and fame.

You don't like him, it's as simple as that. Don't pretend it has something to do with how he actually behaves.
I don't like him because of how he behaves...obviously. Why else would I not like him? Nah you're right, it's the xenophobia kicking in. Or maybe it's my broken heart.

Malva

people take incredible offence to ronaldo being slighted, it's really incredibly pity. all i see is accusations of ronaldo hate and bias against him when alot of the times the criticism is fair enough.

in any case, he had a poor game today, it was around the 70th minute, and i forgot he was on the field. reminded me slightly of the 2009 cl. not that bad, but he didn't dominate the game like it should be expected of him. scored a penalty, but di maria was far more important. Ronaldo is a striker, he isn't a winger. I wish people would realise that, but since he makes one or two dribbles in garbage time, people persist with this confusing concept. oh well, hopefully he has a better world cup. we'll see if it's the injury that held him back today, but i've seen many performances like this from cristiano, so i'm compelled to believe that that isn't an excuse.

Walters_19_MuFc

Get a grip. Football is theatre. If the game was full of players with magnolia personalities like Messi it would be worse off for it.

When Bale scored Ronaldo had just ran the entire length of the pitch to tackle an Athletico player on the edge of his own box. He looked absolutely shattered and was walking back.

Ronaldo is supposed to be a stand up guy in real life. Hayley McQueen said that he used to brew up for the reception staff when he was at United and that he is the total opposite of his public persona. He also does a lot of charity work for which he seeks no publicity.

That he isn't content if he doesn't score makes him the great player that he is. 17 goals in 11 games in this competition is a big part of why his teammates have won that trophy. Do you think that Bale and co would want to change him?
Look, I've got my opinion, and you've got yours. He's always been a bit of an arse, in my opinion. Even when he winked at his coach after Rooney got sent off in the world cup.

I honestly couldn't care what he does for the receptionist, I don't see that. I can only judge him on what I can see on the pitch, and based on that, he's an arsehole. Great player, though.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
He was the one who tracked back to stop the Atletico counter which led to the Real counter for Bale to score didn't he?

No, I am not saying it was down to Ronaldo (down to Di Maria in my opinion). Just an observation that he was willing to go back and help
They're painting it out to look like he was just standing at the goal waiting for the penalty. Sad.

Skills

Snitch
Nothing wrong with the celebration, there was about as much pressure on him to win it today as anybody. He was specifically bought 5 years ago to achieve this for a world record fee and he's finally fully justified his decision to move to Madrid.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I don't think that's the right use of the word agenda. I don't like his public persona and when it happens to be on-topic I'll mention that. I actually think he played better than many are saying here particularly in the second half. If Bale had made better decisions Ronaldo would've put them in front or equalised much earlier and he wasn't overly selfish. Would've got an assist too if Bale could finish. Certainly nothing like his performance in 08/09. If not for the last couple of minutes I wouldn't have had a bad word to say about him. I just thought it was annoying that he was completely unable to recognise that there were more important things going on right then than his own personal glory and fame.
That´s very eloquently put but i don´t actually believe in that. It´s not just about his public persona, your on going Ronaldo agenda (even when discussing his football ability) for years have shown me that. Like i said everyone has their own preferences, so it´s understandable.

Just think of the abuse Terry got for trying to take all the attention :lol:
Touché :lol:

villain

Hates Beyoncé
17 goals in 11 CL matches, no one he ever done it before.
The haters can hate his personality and arrogance, but truthfully he works hard for his accomplishments.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
It's a bit strange that you can't possibly understand that people have different views on people's actions. I'd even go as far to suggest that the alternative view might not even be agenda-driven. If he celebrated like Bale no-one would even mention him. Surely you can see that? It's nothing to do with "fecking hell, it's that greasy Portugese knob celebrating again, I wish he'd just piss off", it's to do with how he actually celebrated. If Ramos did that everyone would call him a knob and no-one would even argue against it. It's just that people take some kind of offence to Ronaldo being criticised or have this misguided view that an kind of negative view is because of an agenda.
I thought Ronaldo's celebration was way over the top but not surprising given his self absorbed nature at times. I am not frothing at the mouth like some others though. I am not sure how you can argue that all this criticism of Ronaldo now is not agenda driven since his OTT celebration seems to have become the biggest talking point after the biggest game of the season. Any neutral person would have been annoyed by it for about 5 minutes and then moved on. Not become obsessed with that act as some have on here.

Conrad

Bit harsh to slate him after that game. He's scored the key goals at the key times for a few years now to win Real trophies so I think he can be forgiven one poor game where others had to step up. Also, he was clearly nowhere near fully fit. Real Madrid's winner said it all really; he'd normally bust a gut to keep up with the attack on the odd chance he'll get a goal but he barely moved from the left back position he'd been covering.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Look, I've got my opinion, and you've got yours. He's always been a bit of an arse, in my opinion. Even when he winked at his coach after Rooney got sent off in the world cup.

I honestly couldn't care what he does for the receptionist, I don't see that. I can only judge him on what I can see on the pitch, and based on that, he's an arsehole. Great player, though.
Football isn't real life. If anything it is absurd theatre. If more people were able to comprehend that then you wouldn't have morons taking a pop at David Moyes when he is out with his wife.

Why shouldn't Ronaldo be the centre of attention anyway? He has had one of the most remarkable campaigns in the history of the competition. He deserves the adulation as much or more than any other player at Madrid. The vast majority of players are driven by self interest and personal ambition. Ronaldo just isn't ashamed to show it.

Kag

The bloke came back from injury. He clearly wasn't 100%. If this wasn't the final he wouldn't have played. He worked for the team both ways, passed when needed, and shot when necessary. Getting worked up over the penalty celebration is so fecking petty.
Agreed. It was a mature performance tonight.

Zak Smith

Nothing worse than United fans still fawning over Ronaldo after all these years, cringe.

SteveW

Just seems a bit strange that it would occur to him at that moment to take his shirt off and pose. He'd just won the European cup. Fecking weirdo.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I thought Ronaldo's celebration was way over the top but not surprising given his self absorbed nature at times. I am not frothing at the mouth like some others though. I am not sure how you can argue that all this criticism of Ronaldo now is not agenda driven since his OTT celebration seems to have become the biggest talking point after the biggest game of the season. Any neutral person would have been annoyed by it for about 5 minutes and then moved on. Not become obsessed with that act as some have on here.
Personally I think that's only because people get accused of an agenda when they say something negative about Ronaldo. If people didn't take it in that direction then there wouldn't really be much else to say about it. It's the constant back and forth that drives and prolongs the Ronaldo-centred discussion.

That´s very eloquently put but i don´t actually believe in that. It´s not just about his public persona, your on going Ronaldo agenda (even when discussing his football ability) for years have shown me that. Like i said everyone has their own preferences, so it´s understandable.
You mean like when I said Ronaldo deserved the Ballon d'Or ahead of Messi 6 months ago? Or when I argued most weeks that Ronaldo was better than Messi 6 years ago? I don't agree at all. There's this really boring pro/against Ronaldo narrative that's been created and you're just placing me in that. There's lots about Ronaldo I love watching and lots I hate. His killer instinct is just incredible and almost unparalleled, his first touch is impeccable and very few can strike a ball like him. I love watching that and will miss all of it when he retires. It just so happens that his persona is one that rubs me up the wrong way. If you saw me react to someone like Ronaldo doing something hideously self-centred and vain while walking down the street you'd know that.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Loving this, GHOENALDOOEEEEEE. What a player, what a legend.

Good on him for celebrating like that. A true winner.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I'm happy for Ronaldo. Always been a big fan, but he has seemed to have almost completely lost the magic that once made him Cristiano Ronaldo.

Conrad

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned but Marcelo took off his shirt after scoring a just as irrelevant third goal and then proceeded to cry through the rest of the match. Whether it's the winner or not scoring a goal in a Champions league final is pretty euphoric and taking your shirt off is a pretty tame reaction.

Malva

Personally I think that's only because people get accused of an agenda when they say something negative about Ronaldo. If people didn't take it in that direction then there wouldn't really be much else to say about it. It's the constant back and forth that drives and prolongs the Ronaldo-centred discussion.

You mean like when I said Ronaldo deserved the Ballon d'Or ahead of Messi 6 months ago? Or when I argued most weeks that Ronaldo was better than Messi 6 years ago? I don't agree at all. There's this really boring pro/against Ronaldo narrative that's been created and you're just placing me in that. There's lots about Ronaldo I love watching and lots I hate. His killer instinct is just incredible and almost unparalleled, his first touch is impeccable and very few can strike a ball like him. I love watching that and will miss all of it when he retires. It just so happens that his persona is one that rubs me up the wrong way. If you saw me react to someone like Ronaldo doing something hideously self-centred and vain while walking down the street you'd know that.
i've experienced the same thing.
What the pissing rain are you talking about? i showed facts and didnt make any statements or suggestions like this crap you say I've said. Why haven't you actually read anything I was talking about other then maybe one or two posts prior to the one you responded to? You'd know that what I'm talking about is completely different from this " oh waaah Ronaldo sucks" narrative that people keep trying to pin. It really has nothing to do with what anyone is talking about and it looks ridiculous to keep seeing these kinds of stupid irrelevant responses.
it's a reoccuring theme i've noticed. It seems that ronaldo's reputation floats in an interesting realm, apparently he's been criticized so much, and so disproportionately to the true character that he demonstrates off the pitch, so now he's pretty much invulnerable from even discussing football weaknesses, it just becomes a 'ronaldo-hater' circle jerk. You can talk about things that ronaldo does on the pitch and it'll still devolve into ronaldo hate.

it's funny because honestly for the last 2 years there has been barely any ronaldo 'hate' at all.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Who cares if he takes off shirt or pant or whatever. Best player in the world right now. 17 goals in one CL season is absolutely amazing.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
You mean like when I said Ronaldo deserved the Ballon d'Or ahead of Messi 6 months ago? Or when I argued most weeks that Ronaldo was better than Messi 6 years ago? I don't agree at all. There's this really boring pro/against Ronaldo narrative that's been created and you're just placing me in that. There's lots about Ronaldo I love watching and lots I hate. His killer instinct is just incredible and almost unparalleled, his first touch is impeccable and very few can strike a ball like him. I love watching that and will miss it when he retires. It just so happens that his persona is one that rubs me up the wrong way. If you saw me react to someone like Ronaldo doing something hideously self-centred and vain while walking down the street you'd know that.
I might have been unfair but that´s how i felt about your opinions of Ronaldo. I didn´t read that, i usually don´t read those Ronaldo vs Messi threads since i like both players (must be an exception in what concerns portuguese people :smirk:) and i find those dicussions tedious.

Status
Not open for further replies.