Cristiano Ronaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam

I'm just watching that documentary about him again on ITV 4, and I've gotta be honest, and I'm sure many will disagree, but I genuinely believe that 'our' Ronaldo, United's Ronaldo, 06-09 Ronaldo, is better then the current Ronaldo.

Now let me just first say that Ronaldo's output now is absolutely ridiculous. Its actually insane. I think he has something like a ratio of more then a goal a game for Madrid. Its almost to ridiculous to put into words. And he will go down as an all time great, But despite that, despite the goals, the records, the personal achievements, the Ronaldo we had was, for me, a more rounded player, a more exciting player. A better player. Nowadays its about the goals, and the winning. He has one thing in his mind, and that is to score goals. And it is genius. But when he was at United he was more skillful, more nimble. He'd take people on far more, he'd use more skills, and he'd still score a huge amount of goals.

I'm sure many will disagree (especially any non United fans), and I'm honestly trying to be as unbiased as possible. But if I was offered the 06/09 Ronaldo, with less goals but more of a rounded game, or the Madrid Ronaldo, with the ridiculous goal output, I reckon I'd take the former. Maybe its just personal preference. But I do miss watching that Ronaldo, he was more of 'complete' player imo.

NM

He shouldn't be playing. He is clearly injured and half the player he usually is. Still got the assist though.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Just saw this gif on r/soccer and thought you lot might like it.

I really wish we still had an attacking player or two who could take on players one on one like Ronnie did but unfortunately those don't grow on trees.
When Ronaldo was Ronaldo.

Malva

I'm just watching that documentary about him again on ITV 4, and I've gotta be honest, and I'm sure many will disagree, but I genuinely believe that 'our' Ronaldo, United's Ronaldo, 06-09 Ronaldo, is better then the current Ronaldo.

Now let me just first say that Ronaldo's output now is absolutely ridiculous. Its actually insane. I think he has something like a ratio of more then a goal a game for Madrid. Its almost to ridiculous to put into words. And he will go down as an all time great, But despite that, despite the goals, the records, the personal achievements, the Ronaldo we had was, for me, a more rounded player, a more exciting player. A better player. Nowadays its about the goals, and the winning. He has one thing in his mind, and that is to score goals. And it is genius. But when he was at United he was more skillful, more nimble. He'd take people on far more, he'd use more skills, and he'd still score a huge amount of goals.

I'm sure many will disagree (especially any non United fans), and I'm honestly trying to be as unbiased as possible. But if I was offered the 06/09 Ronaldo, with less goals but more of a rounded game, or the Madrid Ronaldo, with the ridiculous goal output, I reckon I'd take the former. Maybe its just personal preference. But I do miss watching that Ronaldo, he was more of 'complete' player imo.
i have the same opinion and have said so before. i think others have said the same in this thread previously as well.

CantonaGiggs1

The best(exciting) Ronaldo was the man United one, no doubt about that.

Had he stayed with us, he would have continued to be exciting because that is how SAF would have wanted him to keep playing. Once he got to Madrid, his mentality totally changed. Too bad.

Kazi

The way I see it is like this. When the ball fell to 06-09 Ronaldo's feet, I was genuinely excited about what was going to happen. When the ball falls to his feet now, there's no excitement. Maybe because I expect him to score now - I don't know. The right word is probably sensible. Honestly more excited when Bale picks up the ball for Real Madrid - he still carries that exciting edge from Tottenham that made him so great to watch in the Premier League.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

There's little doubt about that. He's given up the audacity that made him pure magic in his early days, in exchange for trying to become a more complete footballer. Same has happened to Rooney to varying degrees.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
been far short of his normal ability at the WC. 1 Assist that will probably end up being meaningless doesn't make up for the fact that he's not played very well, he isn't a great captain, and probably is too injured to be actually playing.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
The way I see it is like this. When the ball fell to 06-09 Ronaldo's feet, I was genuinely excited about what was going to happen. When the ball falls to his feet now, there's no excitement. Maybe because I expect him to score now - I don't know. The right word is probably sensible. Honestly more excited when Bale picks up the ball for Real Madrid - he still carries that exciting edge from Tottenham that made him so great to watch in the Premier League.
More excitable back then, but it doesn't mean he was better. It really was exciting though wasn't it. Like magic. He still has it though.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Is it true that his haircut is for a young boy who has a scar from brain surgery?

Sb_16

I can see him ending up a bitter old man. This may be his last WC as a top player.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Well at least he said after the game that he doesn't want to use his injuries as excuse, as he is at the WC now so he needs to perform. Also said that ofc Portugal had the dream to win the WC, but if they are honest there are teams better than them and which would deserve it more.

Anyway, they have a decent team Overall, which is the reason why they have gone far in tournaments, but in order to win a tournament they would need one or two more world class players or at least players close to being world class. Now with Coentrao also out the task was always even more difficult and they were never winning the whole thing anyway in the first place.

ghagua

Agree with this as well. He was such an exciting player to watch at that time. Right now he just looks to score and does not really get involved in build up play. I know goals win games, but watching him now is not as exciting.

Malva

is this news? he's been like this for almost 5 seasons now. If anything, he's been surprisingly more exciting and dribbling this season then i've seen him in the 4 prior seasons. Which is quite something given the reactions of people to present day ronaldo.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
He changed while he was still with us. The 2006/7 player wasn't the same one who got the 42 goals the following season. There was a stage, with Pellegrini at Madrid where I thought they might get the perfect version 2006/7 flair + 2007/8 end-product, but they won nothing, Mourinho came in and Ronaldo moved on again.

Ancelotti's a manager who talks a lot about balance and I think with him in charge, Ronaldo's changing again. His passing and his decisions, particularly on when to slow play down and when to speed it up, are improving as well. However, as was pretty obvious last night, choices that are right with Benzema and Bale, Marcelo and Di Maria, don't necessarily work when you try them with Portugal.

It'll be interesting to see if the change continues next season. The next version may be the most interesting one since 2007.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I think the passage of time makes previous succesful seasons seem better than they were at the time. This applies to the success of the team, as well as the levels of excellence reached by individual players. Nobody remembers the boring nil all draws and nobody remembers the poor or mediocre performances from individuals. Your memory congests it all into a highlight reel. That's why people think the likes of Ronaldo and Rooney were better players several years ago, despite all the statistics to the contrary. It's your mind playing tricks on you.

RyRoc

I'd agree that Ronaldo was more enjoyable to watch. One thing that the current game is missing is players who take others on there aren't many who do it, or certainly not consistanly for 90 minutes. Also the players that that do take others on seem to do it more using raw pace rather then dribbling ability which isn't as good to watch imo ( Messi aside)

arthurka

Ronaldo isn´t fit...
He has one of the best shots on him but he just doesn´t seem to be able to strike the ball..
When Nani has a better shot, you know there is something wrong.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
He changed while he was still with us. The 2006/7 player wasn't the same one who got the 42 goals the following season. There was a stage, with Pellegrini at Madrid where I thought they might get the perfect version 2006/7 flair + 2007/8 end-product, but they won nothing, Mourinho came in and Ronaldo moved on again.

Ancelotti's a manager who talks a lot about balance and I think with him in charge, Ronaldo's changing again. His passing and his decisions, particularly on when to slow play down and when to speed it up, are improving as well. However, as was pretty obvious last night, choices that are right with Benzema and Bale, Marcelo and Di Maria, don't necessarily work when you try them with Portugal.

It'll be interesting to see if the change continues next season. The next version may be the most interesting one since 2007.

Exactly!
By 2008/9 for us he had already stopped dribbling, he had a couple of games as a proper #9, he was far more static and far more focused on shooting.
His 09/10 season at Madrid was great but injury-ridden. There's a youtube video of the best 30 goals of Ronaldo vs Messi and it's remarkable how many come from that season- especially the dribbling ones. (He wore the #9 for Madrid that year).

The machine-ness returned with Mourinho, as you'd expect, and I haven't enough seen much of him this year to say whether he has rounded out his game again.

It's wrong to say the under SAF he would not have become this ruthless but awesome finisher: we saw a lot of that in his last 2 seasons here. Honestly I can't remember a single dribbling goal in those 2 seasons, and very few assists too. Very different from his breakout 06/7.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Exactly!
By 2008/9 for us he had already stopped dribbling, he had a couple of games as a proper #9, he was far more static and far more focused on shooting.
His 09/10 season at Madrid was great but injury-ridden. There's a youtube video of the best 30 goals of Ronaldo vs Messi and it's remarkable how many come from that season- especially the dribbling ones. (He wore the #9 for Madrid that year).

The machine-ness returned with Mourinho, as you'd expect, and I haven't enough seen much of him this year to say whether he has rounded out his game again.

It's wrong to say the under SAF he would not have become this ruthless but awesome finisher: we saw a lot of that in his last 2 seasons here. Honestly I can't remember a single dribbling goal in those 2 seasons, and very few assists too. Very different from his breakout 06/7.
How many "dribbling goals" do you remember from 06/07?

You're right that the assists went down, as the goals went up but surely that's because he was given more and more allowance to drift inside and no longer had to play as a traditional winger?

Last edited:

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
Ronaldo isn´t fit...
He has one of the best shots on him but he just doesn´t seem to be able to strike the ball..
When Nani has a better shot, you know there is something wrong.
He couldn't seem to strike a ball in 2010 either so he must have been injured then too.

Cockney-Red

I don't think he's ever 'enjoyed' his football as much as he did, when he was playing for us.

He may of gone on to break records and improve his stats at Madrid, but he looked so much happier when he was at United.

NM

He couldn't seem to strike a ball in 2010 either so he must have been injured then too.
Have you watched him play this WC? I saw the USA game, and it's clear he is injured - he has no pace or movement right now.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
He already admitted he's not fully fit after the USA game. Nothing wrong with that in particular, but it came along with some other stuff that looks terrible coming out of a captain of a team who's still on the run. Basically admitting we're shit and the other teams have better players than us, we never really had a chance to win, and we're not a top team. All true, but FFS, he's the captain, I wonder how good that looks in the locker room. Save that kind of insight for post-retirement autobiographies, he's diminishing all his team-mates.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Very very poor form from Ronaldo. I wouldn't blame him for his performances as he's not been fit. But his comments are becoming of a member of a team which can still qualify for the knock out phase, let alone it's captain and talisman.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
Very very poor form from Ronaldo. I wouldn't blame him for his performances as he's not been fit. But his comments are becoming of a member of a team which can still qualify for the knock out phase, let alone it's captain and talisman.
The Portuguese federation are giving a conference in Brazil and the doctor is blaming Bento for his choices (players that shouldn't be called because they had physical problems), plus he said the heat and humidity is not an excuse since they should be in Brazil sooner and not a few days before the first game.

Status
Not open for further replies.