Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossa

José can't get the best of technical players like martial and blind by sticking them on the wings.

The lack of balance he talked about says more about him as a manager than the ability of the more technical players.

If our main attacking tactics is to play long balls and crosses to lukaku & fellaini then play young and valencia - not blind and martial on the left wing.

Such a mismatch of ideas.
Blind isn't a technical player. His first touch is no better than average, and his passing is only good when he has a lot of space. The gulf between Martial and Blind in terms of technique is huge. Also, Neymar, Ronaldo, Messi, Henry, Giggs etc etc have all played on the wings, all great technical players. Evra had far better technique and close control than Blind and did a pretty fine job as left back. Playing left back actually requires good technical skills because you often find yourself in very tight spaces.

Mickson

I like Blind as a player, but my God he's just awful at left back. I NEVER wan't to see him there again. Never. Hard to think that Mitchell wouldn't do a better job, even Shaw. But never gonna happen is it?

Back up as centre back or possibly CM for Blind imo. If he can't accept that, sell him.

Epicurean

Supports
Ajax
1-0 loss against Basel is all Blind's fault when I am browsing this forum. :lol:

Must be nice for other players to have a United favourite scapegoat lined-up next to them.

An attacking prowess of Herrera, Pogba, Martial and Lukaku cannot put one past Basel. Let's blame Blind too.

Mike09

This guy best position has been a centre back for us and he's not a bad option to be backup centre back for us. I don't see him anywhere to be good as what people are expecting to be a left back.

notcool

Supports
a
Scape goat? He was terrible. I have no clue what he was doing for their goal, but he seems completely clueless of his surroundings. He is outpaced so easily, like in the first half against an average player, and when Blind loses the run, he lets Rojo do his defending without bothering to back him up. He’s useless. His crossing is also subpar.
But the goal was caused by Darmian being overloaded on the right. It was the team at fault, not one player.

Before the goal there was a run from a player on his side where he looked like moving in slow motion and as if he could not care less. The winger was completely free like when they scored, but didnt receive the pass. Terrible performance by Blind.
Slowing the game down isn't a bad thing to do per se. It's smart when you don't have any back-up. It's like a commander in war outmanoeuvring his enemy and waiting for reinforcements to arrive. When you can equal your enemy, you engage. Until that point, you are just buying time.

PoTMS

He’s a terrible left back in all honesty. Pay £50m on Rose as anything’s worth not having Darmian/Blind as a full back.

Rossa

But the goal was caused by Darmian being overloaded on the right. It was the team at fault, not one player.
Of course Darmian was at fault as well for being, well, poor, but there will always be crosses into the box, and seeing as Blind actually had the attacker covered then switched off for some obscure reason makes him the main culprit. He also blamed himself, and rightly so.

notcool

Supports
a
Of course Darmian was at fault as well for being, well, poor, but there will always be crosses into the box, and seeing as Blind actually had the attacker covered then switched off for some obscure reason makes him the main culprit. He also blamed himself, and rightly so.
I didn't say Darmian was at fault, I said the team was at fault. How would Darmian be to blame for being overloaded? Of course there will always be crosses into the box but that doesn't mean they're all of equal difficulty to defend. I don't think he switched off and he didn't blame himself.

Rossa

"Blind said: "The second half went up and down, they created the possibility, gave a good cross, he came round the back and I was a bit late."

Although he doesn't say I was completely rubbish, he admits to being late. The problem is that he was well ahead of the attacker until the 6 yard box where Blind just switched off.

I can't quite recall Darmian being overloaded; you may well be right. Most of the time it is a team goal or a team goal against. However, Blind should have dealt with it, and I'm so sick of reading all of these Blind excuses (pun intended) where there is always someone else to blame when Blind fecks up - as he did yesterday. That being said, Fellaini fecked up when he was unable to convert Martial's cross, and Lukaku fecked up when he didn't score one on one.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Scape goat? He was terrible. I have no clue what he was doing for their goal, but he seems completely clueless of his surroundings. He is outpaced so easily, like in the first half against an average player, and when Blind loses the run, he lets Rojo do his defending without bothering to back him up. He’s useless. His crossing is also subpar.
last week mkhitaryan, yesterday blind, its been shaw pogba, ibra, herrera carrick....

when ever a bad result happens its this player is awful its all his fault..........

Home&Away

"Blind said: "The second half went up and down, they created the possibility, gave a good cross, he came round the back and I was a bit late."

Although he doesn't say I was completely rubbish, he admits to being late. The problem is that he was well ahead of the attacker until the 6 yard box where Blind just switched off.

I can't quite recall Darmian being overloaded; you may well be right. Most of the time it is a team goal or a team goal against. However, Blind should have dealt with it, and I'm so sick of reading all of these Blind excuses (pun intended) where there is always someone else to blame when Blind fecks up - as he did yesterday. That being said, Fellaini fecked up when he was unable to convert Martial's cross, and Lukaku fecked up when he didn't score one on one.
People make excuses because he is a back up LB that shouldn't be playing there; hardly anything to do with his ability as a player. If a Cb/Cdm is playing at LB; then you cannot expect perfection - so the excuses are more than valid. The same goes for martial or rashfords inability to cross well as wingers etc; it doesn't take anything out of theur ability as a player if they are merely covering holes in the squad.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
For all the stick that Darmian gets, outside of that little CB spell under LVG, what has this guy actually contributed?

Genuinely think he's best of being converted into a LCB in a 3-5-2, for a lesser side. Out of his depth at this club IMO.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Never seems to me like he cares that much always seems to cruise regardless the score.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I'm hardly Blind's fan but he is a good option to have. Pretty good technically, intelligent player and can play in multiple positions. People calling him "rubbish, get rid" need to realise that we won't get many better squad players who are this versatile

Home&Away

For all the stick that Darmian gets, outside of that little CB spell under LVG, what has this guy actually contributed?

Genuinely think he's best of being converted into a LCB in a 3-5-2, for a lesser side. Out of his depth at this club IMO.
He has been the CB with no mistakes playing in our most important games & cup finals for the last 2-3 years. Yet bypassed because of poor management; no need for lindelpf when we have blind but lindelpf was bought possibly because he is taller :lol:?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
He's probably the most over rated player we've ever had in terms of people's opinions of him on here vs his performances.

He just isn't good enough at anything and isn't quick enough at anything either. There's no position you can play him in where it wont create a problem for your own team. He's either taking too long to decide what to do with the ball or taking too long to realise what the other team are doing with it.

I don't dislike him. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with his attitude. He also has a good left foot and decent enough passing ability, but it comes with this weird mix of either being too composed or too panicky to ever really use it effectively.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He has been the CB with no mistakes playing in our most important games & cup finals for the last 2-3 years. Yet bypassed because of poor management; no need for lindelpf when we have blind but lindelpf was bought possibly because he is taller :lol:?
I quite liked him as a backup CB too but hate him at LB - slow ponderous and just plain shite tbh

Get In Scholesy

He is essentially a smaller yet more intelligent version of John O'shea. I don't mind him here, he can play in multiple position if necessary until our first (or even second) choices are back to full fitness.

Home&Away

I quite liked him as a backup CB too but hate him at LB - slow ponderous and just plain shite tbh
Yep me too but he shouldn't be rated purely as a LB which is what some posters should be doing; he is possibly a cover up for 2 natural left backs; not our primary LB. Blind is the perfect defender for a 352 but in my opinion not as a LCB; play him in the centre inbetween two defenders that can do the natural CB job like Bailey & rpjo - let blind shield and bring the ball forward & make the attacking passes from deep to initiate counter attacks etc will provide protection to a CB partnership that should be strong but also protection for ppgba to get further forward even more than he is doing. José is missing a trick with blind who has made maybe one or two mistakes max as a semi CB/CDM hybrid. That's why I don't want him gone tbh; I don't want José letting go of players he can't manage - he isn't guaranteed to be here the next year or the year after & a player like blind might actually be more appreciated by a manager who likes to play football on the ground.

Rossa

People make excuses because he is a back up LB that shouldn't be playing there; hardly anything to do with his ability as a player. If a Cb/Cdm is playing at LB; then you cannot expect perfection - so the excuses are more than valid. The same goes for martial or rashfords inability to cross well as wingers etc; it doesn't take anything out of theur ability as a player if they are merely covering holes in the squad.
So where should he be playing? He's not good enough to play in midfield for us, and he's making mistake after mistake at CB as well. The same complaints were made about him at CB as well - he's too slow, weak and switches off. Simply put, he's not good enough, not even as back up. He's a decent footballer, and I think he could do well in other leagues perhaps, but he's not good enough for United.

Rossa

last week mkhitaryan, yesterday blind, its been shaw pogba, ibra, herrera carrick....

when ever a bad result happens its this player is awful its all his fault..........
Plenty of players are criticized, not just Blind. Blind was, however, atrocious for this match, yet there are some that defend him no matter. It's not just the goal, it's pretty much the full match through. He's a liability at CB with poor positioning, poor aerial ability, weak and slow, and at LB he's just not good enough. He may do well as cdm in a less physical league than the PL, but not at United.

Rossa

Really? No mistakes at CB for two-three years? What on earth are you watching. He's always a mistake waiting to happen in defense. Some argue that he doesn't struggle with fast players; yesterday he was burnt by someone who isn't even fast, and then he was dribbled by so easily it was painful to watch not long after. Then he loses his man that he looked to be in control of. He does this at centre back as well.

Home&Away

So where should he be playing? He's not good enough to play in midfield for us, and he's making mistake after mistake at CB as well. The same complaints were made about him at CB as well - he's too slow, weak and switches off. Simply put, he's not good enough, not even as back up. He's a decent footballer, and I think he could do well in other leagues perhaps, but he's not good enough for United.
Explain?

Home&Away

Really? No mistakes at CB for two-three years? What on earth are you watching. He's always a mistake waiting to happen in defense. Some argue that he doesn't struggle with fast players; yesterday he was burnt by someone who isn't even fast, and then he was dribbled by so easily it was painful to watch not long after. Then he loses his man that he looked to be in control of. He does this at centre back as well.
He has played nearly all of our cup finals, played as a CB when everyone is injured and not made a mistake at CB. People seem to think his mistakes at LB account for mistakes as a CB. What have you been watching? Show me some mistakes as a CB that have led to a goal? Not as a LB but as a CB. Even if he does in some makeshift alternative universe then it's certainly not more than our 3rd or 4th CB. Again remember LB is not CB.

Minimalist

Blind isn't a technical player. His first touch is no better than average, and his passing is only good when he has a lot of space. The gulf between Martial and Blind in terms of technique is huge. Also, Neymar, Ronaldo, Messi, Henry, Giggs etc etc have all played on the wings, all great technical players. Evra had far better technique and close control than Blind and did a pretty fine job as left back. Playing left back actually requires good technical skills because you often find yourself in very tight spaces.
:lol:

So he's basically not a footballer to you then. Because that's literally his strength alongside a top mental game.

Home&Away

So he's basically not a footballer to you then. Because that's literally his strength alongside a top mental game.
He's again comparing blind to evra. Of course blind isn't as technical as evra at LB because he isn't a LB; but as a CB blind is a very technical CB. I'm not really why some fans attribute his ability as a LB to his ability his ability at CB.

Again; his lack of pace has hardly ever been countered at CB compared to at LB where it happens almost once a game. Yet he is supposedly a mistake waiting to happen every game at CB though it never happens. In recent years he formed one of the better CB partnerships of the last 3 years with smalling & again won us some titles by being the starter in cup finals - not a single mistake ever.

If he ever does go - I hope he does not get sold to a PL team because that is the true mistake waiting to happen.

Rossa

He has played nearly all of our cup finals, played as a CB when everyone is injured and not made a mistake at CB. People seem to think his mistakes at LB account for mistakes as a CB. What have you been watching? Show me some mistakes as a CB that have led to a goal? Not as a LB but as a CB. Even if he does in some makeshift alternative universe then it's certainly not more than our 3rd or 4th CB. Again remember LB is not CB.
First of all, everyone makes mistakes. Even Rio at his very best made mistakes. Blind has made plenty of mistakes as a centre back; just go check his thread from when he played centre back. I am well aware that LB is not CB - I didn't want him playing CB at all. He has some good games, some very good actually, but he was always a liability.

edgar allan

He is essentially a smaller yet more intelligent version of John O'shea. I don't mind him here, he can play in multiple position if necessary until our first (or even second) choices are back to full fitness.
He's not as good a defender as O'Shea

SambaBoy

I think he's overrated as a CB on here but underrated as LB.

He was decent enough for us at CB, when he played really well, he was top class as he could bring the ball out the back and start attacks but he was also targeted by the opposition, they would try to drag him over to the flanks and get him 1 v 1 against a fast striker and it worked well at times, leading to chances and goals. He was also caught out positionally too often, stepping out of the defensive line and leaving a big gap behind him which exposed us. For me, he's a decent enough CB and can be used there sparingly but I wouldn't want him being 1st-3rd choice at a team like United. People are clamoring for a ball playing centre half, it seems to be the hipster thing, so naturally he gets a lot of mentions here to play CB and how good he was there at the time, forgetting about his mistakes and focusing on his ball distribution.

At LB, he's a solid option. He's suspect against pace but he has dealt with fast wingers quite well in the past. His passing is very good, and he can link up quite well with the LM. He's a much better option than Darmian or Rojo at LB, and would be a very good back-up if we could secure a first choice LB or Shaw fulfills his potential

Rossa

Not saying he's not a footballer, but he's not a good fit for our squad. For one whose technical abilities are his strength, it's not very convincing, is it? His crossing is supposedly his strength, but its not very good. Furthermore, he lacks any other kind of ability that makes a centre back, or left back, great. Not a big fan, no.

prtk0811

1-0 loss against Basel is all Blind's fault when I am browsing this forum. :lol:

Must be nice for other players to have a United favourite scapegoat lined-up next to them.

An attacking prowess of Herrera, Pogba, Martial and Lukaku cannot put one past Basel. Let's blame Blind too.
He makes the attacking play limited and predictable as he never overlaps.

Home&Away

I think he's overrated as a CB on here but underrated as LB.

He was decent enough for us at CB, when he played really well, he was top class as he could bring the ball out the back and start attacks but he was also targeted by the opposition, they would try to drag him over to the flanks and get him 1 v 1 against a fast striker and it worked well at times, leading to chances and goals. He was also caught out positionally too often, stepping out of the defensive line and leaving a big gap behind him which exposed us. For me, he's a decent enough CB and can be used there sparingly but I wouldn't want him being 1st-3rd choice at a team like United. People are clamoring for a ball playing centre half, it seems to be the hipster thing, so naturally he gets a lot of mentions here to play CB and how good he was there at the time, forgetting about his mistakes and focusing on his ball distribution.

At LB, he's a solid option. He's suspect against pace but he has dealt with fast wingers quite well in the past. His passing is very good, and he can link up quite well with the LM. He's a much better option than Darmian or Rojo at LB, and would be a very good back-up if we could secure a first choice LB or Shaw fulfills his potential
A ball playing centre half is not a hipster thing - I think it was hangaland or someone who said it perfectly how the midfielders have to drop so deep because they are not receiving the ball from the defenders at all.

I saw it plenty of times yesterday; all our midfielders dropped deep to receive the ball.

SambaBoy

A ball playing centre half is not a hipster thing - I think it was hangaland or someone who said it perfectly how the midfielders have to drop so deep because they are not receiving the ball from the defenders at all.

I saw it plenty of times yesterday; all our midfielders dropped deep to receive the ball.
Nothing wrong with a midfield dropping deep to get the ball. The onus is on the CM to create and dictate the tempo.

Rio Ferdinand who was a 'ball playing CB' 95% of the time just passed it to Scholes or Carrick, simple 5 yard pass, it wasn't because Rio's passing was shocking.

notcool

Supports
a
This might be controversial but I don't see that as him taking the blame. He did say he was a bit late but in a sense that's just an ordinary explanation. Of course he was a bit late: if he wasn't he would have cut out the cross. There doesn't have to be the complication of fault in being a bit late. Also, it seemed he was anticipating what the interviewer had in mind, almost to the point of being brash in his answer.

Fair enough.

Home&Away

Nothing wrong with a midfield dropping deep to get the ball. The onus is on the CM to create and dictate the tempo.

Rio Ferdinand who was a 'ball playing CB' 95% of the time just passed it to Scholes or Carrick, simple 5 yard pass, it wasn't because Rio's passing was shocking.
And not many of our CB's have been making that 5 yard pass forward consistently enough.

Gusjaros

Supports
Several teams
Did anyone say that? We are discussing Blind in here. Darmian was terrible for their goal, but that is something that should be discussed there.

Blind was awful all match, and he is a real liability at the back. He should have had his player covered as he was ahead of him, but he looked to just switch of and not deal with the situation. The incident in the first half where the player casually runs away from him with the ball and Blind just stops running leaving Rojo to do all the defending says a lot, I think. His passing isn't good enough to make up for it, and his crossing has been woeful as of late.
He was statistically speaking Manchester Uniteds best player (not to say that he actually was their best player).

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I think left sided cb in a back 3 is his best position. It lets him distribute and get on the ball while not getting exposed in 1v1 situations.

Looking forward to this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.