Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bojan11

What is this nonsense about Barca? He wouldn’t get in their team. The only reason they probably want him is because they need backups and he’d be cheap.

Home&Away

Yes, Barcelona would change their formation to 3 at the back to accommodate Blind. We're reaching levels of delusion that shouldn't be possible.

I'll stop here, thanks.
Just making stuff up again ; I said if they wanted to they would not how to utilise blind in a back 3 instead of a back 2.
Thank god that ended

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
When playing 3 at the back there is no need for 3 pure CB's - I don't care what Lindelof is called; but I have yet seen his ball playing ability even though I have heard about it at benfica.

1) the RCB & LCB of the back 3 should be in a partnership as if they were playing in a traditional back 4.
2) the central defender is allowed to defend high up in midfield or drop back to defence likewise attacking wise he can take the ball in to midfield himself or play passes deep from the back line.

LINDELOF can pass but he has yet to show me any indication of being able to be a CDM/CB player.
Compare what Dier did for spurs in between their back 2 to make their back 3; he would make significant plays forward. Whilst Dier & Blind can do the same job in different manner : one likes to drive forward whilst the other positions himself along the back line and plays the ball forward.

LINDELOF is a good defender but we need more than just a CB in defence when playing 3cb. It's the same reason that Lingard is better than mata pr mkhitarayan behind a back 2 because he repositions himself along the front line meaning we always over do their defence because of an extra player who plays a SS/Cam role can drop in to the holes across the front 2 as well as a player that can drop in to midfield and even on top of that he can play the furthest forward to apply pressure. This is called a forward pivot where Lingard movement directly effects the position of our attacking players in to the most relevant position.
I really don't need a breakdown of how a 3 person defense works to know that we have played with one multiple times this season and mostly without blind as one of the CB's and managed just fine. Lindelof is well known for being able to perform at CB as well as RB and CDM, During his time with Benfica (CDM at a stretch) and Tuanzebe can do CB and CDM which renders your point about Blind invalid as both of those two can perform CDM and also are far better defenders than Blind.

Here is a link to an MEN article with quotes from both Mourinho and one of Victor's former coaches talking about his expectation and his positional history:
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...ll-news/man-utd-news-victor-lindelof-13612084

So you see as much as you may try to make a case for keeping Blind we already have good ball playing CB's in Lindelof (if you read the article Mourinho acknowledges this himself whilst make a few of the same point you have about becoming overly defensive with 3 CB's) and Tuanzebe and so Blind is surplus to requirements as he is defensively our weakest option there.

Roboc7

Just making stuff up again ; I said if they wanted to they would not how to utilise blind in a back 3 instead of a back 2.
Thank god that ended
Even his own Dad who actually played in that position didn’t choose to play him there when he was his manager and no other manager seems to rate him a here either. Can’t really criticise Jose for doing what everyone else has done with Blind.

Home&Away

Even his own Dad who actually played in that position didn’t choose to play him there when he was his manager and no other manager seems to rate him a here either. Can’t really criticise Jose for doing what everyone else has done with Blind.
Was Danny there when after blind played CB? Don't think so - so I will go on blaming Jose thanks. Just rewriting history to your own benefit

Home&Away

I really don't need a breakdown of how a 3 person defense works to know that we have played with one multiple times this season and mostly without blind as one of the CB's and managed just fine. Lindelof is well known for being able to perform at CB as well as RB and CDM, During his time with Benfica (CDM at a stretch) and Tuanzebe can do CB and CDM which renders your point about Blind invalid as both of those two can perform CDM and also are far better defenders than Blind.

Here is a link to an MEN article with quotes from both Mourinho and one of Victor's former coaches talking about his expectation and his positional history:
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...ll-news/man-utd-news-victor-lindelof-13612084

So you see as much as you may try to make a case for keeping Blind we already have good ball playing CB's in Lindelof (if you read the article Mourinho acknowledges this himself whilst make a few of the same point you have about becoming overly defensive with 3 CB's) and Tuanzebe and so Blind is surplus to requirements as he is defensively our weakest option there.
Again Lindelof is more defensive than Blind in an already defensive formation & blind's attacking ability is better than tuenzebes & Lindelof' s combined which is what we need in the centre - not just a defender who can pass for now; when we see him able to do that then he can rightfully take over blind. Why we need more defensive players at 3 at the back when we do fine with 2 is the question?

Roboc7

Was Danny there when after blind played CB? Don't think so - so I will go on blaming Jose thanks. Just rewriting history to your own benefit
He was the Dutch national manager so yes he was, what I said was actually based on fact, might have to look at yourself in terms of rewriting history.

Roboc7

They don't play with 3 at the back?
When they did he didn’t play him there and he didn’t see his own son as a CB, managers see Blind as a utility player, your whole argument is based on your own theory and nothing else. Can’t criticise Jose for using Blind correctly.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
Again Lindelof is more defensive than Blind in an already defensive formation & blind's attacking ability is better than tuenzebes & Lindelof' s combined which is what we need in the centre - not just a defender who can pass for now; when we see him able to do that then he can rightfully take over blind. Why we need more defensive players at 3 at the back when we do fine with 2 is the question?
Again Blind has hardly featured this season even when playing a back 3 and we have done fine. I'm just not seeing the need for him, nor is Jose from the looks of things as he hasn't even made the bench for the past 2 or more games. As for your question of why we need 3 defensive players in a back 3 we don't, two would be fine, the point is that the third CB despite being more ball playing still has to defend and Blind isn't a good enough long term option there and will certainly never be a first choice CB for us even if we were to permanently switch to a back three he simply isn't good enough nor has he ever been in his 4 + seasons here to hold down a regular place in the starting line up, and as I've pointed out we currently have too many good players (of which Blind is merely one) and not enough exceptional ones.

We need to cut numbers and bring in higher quality with some of our starters (mata, Lingard, Herrera) becoming more squad options. Having 7 CB's is crazy and even if you account for versatility Blind would still not be good enough to be immediate backup in any position. We aren't going to sell any of our other CB and Lindelof and Tuanzebe are good ball playing CB's albeit lacking some of the finesse of Blind in terms of technical ability, which they don't need as Dier (the example you used earlier) isn't that much better on the ball than either Linderlof or Tuanzebe (he's certainly better but only marginally).

There is no need to keep Blind with the options we have, his appearance record this season should tell you that.

MAME DIOUF 32

When they did he didn’t play him there and he didn’t see his own son as a CB, managers see Blind as a utility player, your whole argument is based on your own theory and nothing else. Can’t criticise Jose for using Blind correctly.
A utility player who hasn't been trusted in his favoured position for what must be getting on for 3 years, and who's slipped way down the pecking order in other positions.

Good player, but not good enough.

LARulz

Still surprised Mourinho doesn't use him more often. Great utility player and thought he'd be great as a DM/rotation option when resting Matic and co

Home&Away

The problem with Blind in midfield is he ends up having to move too much for his own good.

For example he does this very valuable thing where he drops in between the CB's to cover them; but when he is doing this from midfield he gets pulled over the place trying to read the ball & the players.

If he starts in the centre of defence in a back 3 he merely has to push forward to defend in midfield because he is really good at reading the game & only has to attack the ball. The best thing it will do is give him time to take the ball forward and make the right passes.

Home&Away

There again he did the thing where he can drop inbetween the spaces of the central 2 defenders - that's why he needs to start inbetween 2 central defenders in defence so he can spend his time moving in to midfield rather than dropping in to defense

Roboc7

Neat and tidy on the ball but too easily bypassed, easy to see why managers don’t rate him in midfield.

The United

He gets better though. You gotta give him some time. He has not been playing for awhile let alone in the midfield.

buckooo1978

too slow to play CM

Lacks that ability of Carrick to glide around the midfield and dominate

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yeah I like him best on the left of a back 3. Being a good passer and smart player isn't enough for midfield, you need a much different type of awareness positionally and on the ball compared to playing on the back where you typically have a lot more time on the ball and you're playing forward constantly.

Home&Away

He gets better though. You gotta give him some time. He has not been playing for awhile let alone in the midfield.
He is the perfect third CB in the middle instead of a sweeper like smalling because he can shield & play inbetween the defenders whilst intercepting from deep rather than having to move all around the place in midfield. He can then make runs in to midfield & have much more time on the ball

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Amazing tackle saving us a goal after shocking stuff from Shaw not covering Rojo.

Matic has struggled in the past too, Pogba doesn't offer enough defensively and McTominay has been invisible.

Roboc7

Embarrassing in the build up to the first goal, one of too many mediocre players who offer nothing going forward in this squad.

Zoo

Too slow and weak particularly for Mourinho’s liking in midfield. His days are numbered.

Minimalist

LOL Reading these comments. Thought he played well personally - one of our better ones out there.

Home&Away

He isn't a midfielder anyway - he is a CB who needs space in front of him to read the game and either attack or defend the space in front of him.

Can't blame him for being cr*p in midfield

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
His only notable contribution for me was that last ditch challenge.

Otherwise pedestrian and not very good at picking anyone out.

His mobility is shocking.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He was decent on the ball, most of the time. Other than that recovery challenge he made, he was awful off it. He looked like the slowest player out there, on the same pitch as a recovering Zlatan.

arthurka

Now we can put the Daley Blind midfielder thread to bed. Not a midfielder and never was really.. Lacks well most of the things needed from your dcm..

el3mel

At least we'll never see people asking for him to play as a DMF to save our problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.