Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Home&Away

What position would you use him in then? We have better centre backs and better midfielders?
What makes you think we can only play 2 midfielders? We could play 3 in midfield or even more perfect would be to play 3 at the back & let blind initiate the attack from the middle back line- there seriously wouldn't be anyone better at that; I mean come on there is so many long balls being played clearly as part of our tactics.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
What makes you think we can only play 2 midfielders? We could play 3 in midfield or even more perfect would be to play 3 at the back & let blind initiate the attack from the middle back line- there seriously wouldn't be anyone better at that; I mean come on there is so many long balls being played clearly as part of our tactics.
His passing is really underrated on here. When he was given the role of ball playing centreback under LVG he put our strikers through on goal so often from deep.

Home&Away

His passing is really underrated on here. When he was given the role of ball playing centreback under LVG he put our strikers through on goal so often from deep.
Agreed - Blind is literally a hybrid CDM/CB which is something playing 3 at the back needs more as an attacking outlet than a defensive one.

SirMattBugsby

Think this has been discussed before in this thread, and we came to the conclusion that Mourinho doesn't fancy him in central areas. It's contrary to how he sees the game. He'd rather have Smalling as the middle CB than Blind.

Now Guardiola..

el3mel

He wasn't terrible but not very good, too. Average is the accurate word.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Defensively not much to do but I thought he was bad tonight, his passes weren't that good. He got tackled very easily quite a few times. Nowhere near his best.

This LB spot is a bit of a concern.

Home&Away

I thought he was really good.

Agreed that especially with how poor Herrera has been I wouldn't be against Blind in midfield again.
He was good & for me better than Valencia today. Also opened up spaces, played more forward balls than our midfielders from LB, put some decent crosses in ish, read the game well, kept the off side and also covered smalling on the few times he came too forward.

Epicurean

Supports
Ajax
Interesting how subjective football is. For some he had a mare, for others he was really good. At the end of the day, another clean sheet.

Home&Away

It's games like today where I really really appreciate someone like Blind. Should be on the pitch imho. Zero brains at the back right now. :/
Exactly my post I was going to make - he is a quality defender in most defensive positions & can be counted upon - these do called mistakes never happen. If so 1 in 20 game ratio.

One thing I can't stand with José is his damn attraction to some players over others.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I just don't see what Lindelof has over Blind. Not one quality. I don't see the point of him. Get a LB and use Blind as cover for both. No need for Lindelof.

Epicurean

Supports
Ajax
Blind has played really well this season and it's no coincidence that with him on the field United have played really well and conceded almost no goals.

The only thing that is a positive today is that people won't be able to slate Blind as usual. In fact, it might make them realise and appreciate Blind's contribution to the team. So far this season, no losses.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
A better LB than Young, a better CB than Lindelof. Doesn't play ahead of either.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He's so good and shouldn't be behind Lindelof in the pecking order of any position. I think we'd have won had José opted for him.

Bojan11

A better LB than Young, a better CB than Lindelof. Doesn't play ahead of either.
He would have offered nothing going forward as LB. Him and Young are not the long term solution in that position.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He would have offered nothing going forward as LB. Him and Young are not the long term solution in that position.
He offers more than Young. Who is our best crosser, apparently.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Will never understand why he isn't used in midfield. Could do a better job than Herrera

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Would start him next to bailly when rojo and jones are injured. Lindelof is wank, smalling makes me nervous but not as bad. And hes better then every left back as he can properly cross it. Should start way more basically.

Man Utd 2:0 Benfica

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Had a good game tonight. Intercepted and tackled well, good use of the ball, and great pen.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
If he had any pace he would be my perfect fullback. Good game tonight, I feel his passing and what he gives to the team when playing as a fullback is underrated. He almost never gives the ball away and yet he is always really positive in his play. His crossing is weirdd though because I think he is better crosser of the ball than he is showing this year.

Roboc7

Does basics well but nowhere near good enough as a lb, very ordinary going forward and made even worse by the fact darmian is on the other side of the pitch.

One of those players who won't let you down but simply isn't good enough to be playing regularly.

el3mel

Got caught few times due to him being slow.

Decent option as a LB but he can't be the main one unfortunately. Still very good squad player to always have as he's reliable whenever he gets called to do a job as a CB or LB.

Sylar

Reliable to use especially for games like this. If we had an outright starter for LB id be happy with him as a squad option to use and rotate for matches like this before a big game on the weekend.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Happy to see José trusted him to take the pen.
Does basics well but nowhere near good enough as a lb, very ordinary going forward and made even worse by the fact darmian is on the other side of the pitch.

One of those players who won't let you down but simply isn't good enough to be playing regularly.
I thought he was really good in 15/16 where he was one of the first names on the team sheet at CB.

What was that penalty all about? Lukaku Herrera and then Blind?
Nothing to read into. All that it probably was is Lukaku wanted it, Herrera thought he was next in line (José's penalty system is that he has a list of takers, if someone misses it goes to the next on the list) but José wanted Blind to take it and Herrera stepped down.

Home&Away

I think Lukaku & Herrera both would have wanted a goal in their system more than blind - so they would have added unnecessary pressure on themselves during the spot kick.

Epicurean

Supports
Ajax
Bailly gives the ball away and if not for a bizarre miss from Benfica it would be 1-1. Just imagine the stress inside this thread had it been Blind. :lol:

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I love Blind but I don't think he had a good game at all. His positioning was all over the place at times and he was wasteful with the ball.

The penalty was ace though.

Red_toad

Blind has played really well this season and it's no coincidence that with him on the field United have played really well and conceded almost no goals.

The only thing that is a positive today is that people won't be able to slate Blind as usual. In fact, it might make them realise and appreciate Blind's contribution to the team. So far this season, no losses.
I'd say that's much more to do with Jose' organisational skills, rather than anything Blind has done, we generally don't concede no matter who plays.

shield

Thought it was a good performance. He is more attacking minded than our other LB options but the team was set to defend so most of the things he is good at did not have much of an impact on the team performance. He looks much better whenever we are trying to move ahead and create something rather than sit back and keep things tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.