Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevoc

Also I want to say he's not any worse than Darmian defensively. He's slow, I know, but that's not a big problem if you have a pacey winger that can track back as Rashford for example.

Again no disagreements about him not a long term main LB here, but he's the best one we have in this position. There's no point playing Darmian over him unless for rotation or if we want to play with a 3rd CB not a LB.
Definitely mate he isn't personally i think he's actually better defensively. Darmian has his uses in particular set-ups where we are being more defensive like vs Chelsea last year. But other than that i don't see the point in playing him. Even as a reserve LB we really should have better.

After Young's performance tonight if he can stay fit he should be Valencia's back up, once Shaw returns he and Blind will hopefully rotate at LB. And Darmian only playing the odd game here and there or off the bench for a few minutes to see a game out.

el3mel

Definitely mate he isn't personally i think he's actually better defensively. Darmian has his uses in particular set-ups where we are being more defensive like vs Chelsea last year. But other than that i don't see the point in playing him. Even as a reserve LB we really should have better.

After Young's performance tonight if he can stay fit he should be Valencia's back up, once Shaw returns he and Blind will hopefully rotate at LB. And Darmian only playing the odd game here and there or off the bench for a few minutes to see a game out.
Agree. Darmian can still be useful in some games when we need a 3rd CB, though, but even when we start moving to upgrade our full backs options he won't have much of a place here.

Epicurean

Supports
Ajax
Nice cross for Lukaku's goal, I don't understand some being smug, Basel are a very poor side and he got an assist, but it's obvious he's not good enough to be the starting LB for a club with the aspirations United have.
Is it that obvious? Been hearing it a couple seasons and yet he is still here. Look no one is saying the guy is Maicon or Roberto Carlos, but he is better than Darmian and Shaw, the latter ruined by a severe injury and as far as I have seen hasn't reached his old potential anymore.

And as for Basel being a poor side. We lost once against them, drew twice and until today only won once.

I think Blind will be missed once he leaves this club and you're stuck with Rojo and Darmian or some new bloke who will be subject to scrutiny and burnt for every misstep he makes.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Is it that obvious? Been hearing it a couple seasons and yet he is still here. Look no one is saying the guy is Maicon or Roberto Carlos, but he is better than Darmian and Shaw, the latter ruined by a severe injury and as far as I have seen hasn't reached his old potential anymore.

And as for Basel being a poor side. We lost once against them, drew twice and until today only won once.

I think Blind will be missed once he leaves this club and you're stuck with Rojo and Darmian or some new bloke who will be subject to scrutiny and burnt for every misstep he makes.
Hear hear.

marlowe78

Can we attach something to his legs and make him the bionic man or something? He has the brain but not enough body.

RedCurry

Doesn't need to run fast if he can consistently put those types of crosses in.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I'll say it again: those people expecting to have our left back bombing up and down the wing are going to be disappointed with whoever we play there. Jose is content with his right back providing the width and overlapping the wide right player while his left back plays deeper, contributing more to build up play. This allows either Rashford or Martial to iscolate their fullback and the space to run at them. Blind plays this role very well and, although there are certainly better options out there, isn't the liability he is made out to be.

Devil may care

Well...probably?

It's still kind of irrelevant when there's no left-back in the squad that is better on paper or has demonstrated better performances. Hell, let's talk facts, the majority of our players aren't proven to be title winners at this stage - this is all up for speculation.

I mean if you want to rag on every left-back for not being Roberto Carlos, fill your boots but seems a bit daft.
I wasn't ragging on him at all, nor did I mention Roberto Carlos who was an elite LB, that's jumping from one extreme to the other.

Perhaps but he's by far our best option at LB currently until Shaw ever gets fit or we buy someone, it's like night and day between Blind and Darmian. He's just so much better on the ball and is willing to contribute to his sides attack. He's always an outlet to move the play forward on the left which we miss when Darmian plays
Yes I agree he's probably the best option at LB in games we we are going to dominate but he'll be switched out for Darmian against tougher teams, which is my main point, the options we currently have at LB are all stop-gaps until we sort that position out with a quality upgrade, unless Shaw makes a 180.

Yes I think it's obvious, but again I never said anything about the elite level talent you listed and I never said anything about him leaving, Blind is a very good squad player that can cover two positions, I'm not suggesting we get rid of him, merely that we need to upgrade LB to bring it up to the required level.

stevoc

Yes I agree he's probably the best option at LB in games we we are going to dominate but he'll be switched out for Darmian against tougher teams, which is my main point, the options we currently have at LB are all stop-gaps until we sort that position out with a quality upgrade, unless Shaw makes a 180.
Jose probably will do that but i hope he doesn't. Blind for me is as good as anyone we have at LB defensively, and he is decent going forward. If he's fit he should be playing in my opinion, bar the odd cup game where he can be rested.

Devil may care

I thought he did well when he moved into the back 3 and got to use his passing game more effectively.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Yeah another good game. Sharp passing and solid defending.

Devil may care

I think playing as a wingback suits him as he's not got to worry about the pace to get back as much, and his passing and movement in the final 3rd was class all night, just behind Lukaku and Martial for MOTM.

Sylar

It was nice having a left footed player out wide on the left. He wasnt exactly bombing up and down, but by being there, it gives Martial that ability to cut in and use him as a decoy.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
He was excellent. Still think he should be our starting left back as he's good both in attack and defense.

Young has hit some good form, but we all saw his defensive frailties against Southampton.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Anybody who keeps Darmian off the pitch is a bonus. Good job Daley.

AgentP

He was excellent. Still think he should be our starting left back as he's good both in attack and defense.

Young has hit some good form, but we all saw his defensive frailties against Southampton.
He still won it for us with that cross. With Lukaku on the pitch, I'll always go with Young just because he can cross the ball so well.

SambaBoy

Love his forward between the lines passing, opens up so many opportunities, rarely passes backwards when he gets the ball on the half turn like most full-backs.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Very good game. Good attacking runs and very good on the ball. Blind and Young both did very well, push up the pitch and gives us good width.

AgentP

How did he do in midfield? It's been years since he last played there. Anyone see the game?

Bwuk

I'd be happy to see him given a chance at DM here when Matic needs a rest.

Bwuk

I think there's zero chance of it happening if it hasn't so far.
Agreed. I find it strange that LvG never really gave him a chance there after he initially moved him, and Mourinho hasn't either.

He's one of the best passers of a ball in the team.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I don't think he got a fair go in midfield. He played as a #6 during our most imbalanced period, when LvG tried to shoehorn all of Di Maria, Falcao, RvP and Rooney into a team. Carrick took over, we switched to a more suitable 4-3-3, and started to look a lot more solid. Carrick was very dependable during that period and was a very important player but a bit of a shame we didn't see much of Blind in that position again.

It now seems hard to believe that LvG ripped up the squad and put that team together, whilst always bleating on about balance despite rarely displaying it in that first half of the season.

I think Blind has a lot of similar attributes to Carrick, but the fact he hasn't played there for a long time seems a little telling. Blind himself did say he thinks his best position is left centre back, so perhaps it is also through Blind's own choice as well.

Benfica 0:1 Man Utd

Home&Away

I just love watching him play that's so pleasing in the eye. Unfortunately he is at a club that he don't utilise him to the best of his abilities.

His passing from LB to our forwards both wide and central is better than most of our midfielders:smirk:

Worse thing is he will get blamed for any mistakes he makes at LB as some personal sign of quality even though only 1/10 clubs would even use him there. Doesn't matter though because he hardly makes a mistake there either.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I just love watching him play that's so pleasing in the eye. Unfortunately he is at a club that he don't utilise him to the best of his abilities.

His passing from LB to our forwards both wide and central is better than most of our midfielders:smirk:

Worse thing is he will get blamed for any mistakes he makes at LB as some personal sign of quality even though only 1/10 clubs would even use him there. Doesn't matter though because he hardly makes a mistake there either.
What position would you use him in then? We have better centre backs and better midfielders?

Fahad Jawaid

This. People here wank over young and valencia for their apparent attacking play which is non-existent where there is no space to run and the defending team presses them. He actually keeps the ball, is a very good passer plus he has a brilliant cross in him.

The United

What position would you use him in then? We have better centre backs and better midfielders?
I am not sure if he could be any worse than ander at this moment.

Would be useful in midfield when we don't have anyone left.

Status
Not open for further replies.