6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

So you are 2-0 down with 10 minutes to go. You need to get a result in order to have a decent shot at qualification for the World Cup. Basicly, you are telling me that as a defender, you just allow to let time tick away when you opponent is ball hogging in the corner of the pitch, because if you try something it might be possible that he skips by? I have a different view then.

My use of words is not the best, as I do not mean Blind should be trying to get that ball back on his own, which I might have implied in my response. Others should have pitched in sooner or should have coached him that there is cover behind him, allowing him to take some more risk.

But it's nonsense to say that 'Pogba did not get anywhere'. Like I said, he is 2-0 up and is just showboating a bit and won another 20 easy seconds there without being challenged.

If it was France that was 2-0 behind, Pogba would have tried something to get past Blind. Now he simply did not need to and just took it easy.

I do not believe in any way that you will applaude our defenders efforts when we are 1-0 down against City, and for instance Sane is winning crucial time in a manner similar to this.
If Pogba takes it the corner and turns his back to shield it then yes Blind can go in to win the ball, but the last thing you do if Pogba is facing up to you is stick a foot in. He'll leave you for dead.

Mike09

If Pogba takes it the corner and turns his back to shield it then yes Blind can go in to win the ball, but the last thing you do if Pogba is facing up to you is stick a foot in. He'll leave you for dead.
Then credit has to go to Pogba. He did time wasting by keep and move the ball with his feet without losing it (which not every players could do when their legs are tired and instead takes it the corner) and let Blind did the ball watching. At the end of the day he succeed to do time wasting and even after being fouled or hustled France didn't lose possession.

Epicurean

Supports
Ajax
Pogba was up 2-0 in a crucial match. He did not need to go anywhere. Blind should be trying to get that ball from him in order to get back in the game, but he got nowhere near the ball.
You clearly don't understand the concept of defending. He handled that well.

It works both ways. Pogba didn't get pass him and so didn't force a potential 3-0.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Had a torrid time with Coman.
No he didn't. Both full backs did very well considering the near constant pressure they were both under, he was always going to be beaten a few times considering how utterly exposed he was.

Last edited:

SATA

Nice bit of moment there between two United players. Blind knew exactly what Pogba was going to do though probably from those training sessions at the club

TheForgottenOne

You clearly don't understand the concept of defending. He handled that well.

It works both ways. Pogba didn't get pass him and so didn't force a potential 3-0.
You clearly don't understand the whole game if you think it's better to stand and watch to prevent a potential 3-0, rather than taking some risk in order to get back in this crucial game. This was a must win match for the Netherlands and now they are as good as elliminated.

2-0 down and 10 minutes left. Allowing an opponent to showboat and waste valuable time is not something tot applaud. It baffles me that you really believe that this is good in this specific situation.

SouthPredators4

I think in such a situation, for a defender to stand off, it basically indicates

1) he is delaying, allowing his teammates to fall back into position, especially if he is aware that being beaten would result in a clear path to a goalscoring chance or

2) the defender is very passive n inept, and doesnt have the confidence of getting the ball off his opponent.

From the video, i feel is the latter. From my years of playing as a defender, i would never allow it. If the opponent is extremely skillful, i would avoiding diving into a tackle but instead stay on my feet, put pressure by decreasing the proximity between the 2 players or at least repositioning myself in front of Pogba and force him back towards his own goal. Blind is a shit defender, useless one to one and perhaps he knows his limitations and that explains his passiveness.

Home&Away

You clearly don't understand the whole game if you think it's better to stand and watch to prevent a potential 3-0, rather than taking some risk in order to get back in this crucial game. This was a must win match for the Netherlands and now they are as good as elliminated.

2-0 down and 10 minutes left. Allowing an opponent to showboat and waste valuable time is not something tot applaud. It baffles me that you really believe that this is good in this specific situation.
Pogba showed no intention of his dribbling was to waste time; at that point blind should have been more aggressive - however in that video Pogba clearly showed intentions of looking to get past him and make defence threatening passes.

Pogba wasn't playing to waste time there; even though he was and blind acted accordingly.

Lentwood

Played very well tonight for Holland and got two assists by getting on the overlap and delivering quality low crosses.

Maybe Jose should take note and actually give Blind more license to go forward, rather than Tony V? I think Blind has far more quality even if he doesnt have the raw pace. I know who I would rather have delivering crosses!

Obiorahking_

Played very well tonight for Holland and got two assists by getting on the overlap and delivering quality low crosses.

Maybe Jose should take note and actually give Blind more license to go forward, rather than Tony V? I think Blind has far more quality even if he doesnt have the raw pace. I know who I would rather have delivering crosses!
How do you know that Jose gave Blind a license not to go forward?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
2 assist and he made a few very dangerous crosses apart from that. Hopefully he will continue with this form for United.

Lentwood

How do you know that Jose gave Blind a license not to go forward?
Well Valencia tends to be the more attacking of our full backs. Usually Blind is quite conservative, offers support to the winger but rarely runs past him. From what I can tell, it looks like Jose ask Blind to be ready to step in and make a back 3 if the opposition break quickly.

I don't know this obviously because I don't have Jose's personal mobile number, but its an opinion based on what I see every week

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Played well today, but his lack of pace is painfull to watch. He's an intelligent player with a good left foot, shame he's so sluggish and lacks ehm I don't know the English word for 'handelingssnelheid' :)

Google says operation speed, that cant be right.

Obiorahking_

Well Valencia tends to be the more attacking of our full backs. Usually Blind is quite conservative, offers support to the winger but rarely runs past him. From what I can tell, it looks like Jose ask Blind to be ready to step in and make a back 3 if the opposition break quickly.

I don't know this obviously because I don't have Jose's personal mobile number, but its an opinion based on what I see every week
Well maybe that is on Blind for not getting forward enough? Whenever Shaw plays he always gets forward, so I see no reason why Blind cant do the same. Although if Blind gets caught out of position, Unlike Valencia or Shaw, Blind dosen't have anywhere near the same pace as those two to catch up.

Pavl3n

I think Blind was Holland's man of the match. I watched the last 60 min of the game and everything dangerous came from his side and from him. I must say Bulgaria took off their right winger and opened up even more Holland's left attack, but still Bulgaria's defending on the right was dreadful. Still... Blind had a great game.

Epicurean

Supports
Ajax
Blind starts 3 times, 3 clean sheets, yet still gets slated for it.

Blind not there and we draw 2-2 against Stoke.

Mmm. Wonder what the Blind haters cook up for arguments this time.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

I think he should be starting but that's some odd criticism. The mistakes were individual errors from Bailly and Jones. I'm really not a fan of Damian but he can't be held accountable for the 2 goals conceded.

Epicurean

Supports
Ajax
I think he should be starting but that's some odd criticism. The mistakes were individual errors from Bailly and Jones. I'm really not a fan of Damian but he can't be held accountable for the 2 goals conceded.
I understand. When it's not Blind on LB, it's individual mistakes from the CBs. Incidentally when Blind plays, for some people on here it's always somehow is Blind's fault, that the CB made a mistake.

All I can say is just 3 clean sheets with Blind playing and people still crying about him, versus a 2-2 against Stoke, without Blind playing.

surf

Think Blind is our best left back option, good all round player. His crossing needs to improve though. Who can forget his delivery in the world cup for RVP's diving header? More of that, please.

TheForgottenOne

This is a laughable post ofcourse. Your posts looks like one from a frustrated fan boy that can't take it that people don't regard Blind as a world class player.

Blind did not play and it is just a bit sad that you feel to need to post something like this. In this topic, we discuss the players performances. Even though we have won games with a clean sheet, does not mean people can't think a player did not perform up to their standards. You might think that people are unfair in their judgement, but by posting something like this, you clearly show that you are not objective about this player. Not that it is a shock, as you are an Ajax supporter who is defending their ex player, which is very common on Dutch forums as well.

The away game against Stoke has been a hard one for us for years now. For you information, Blind played both matches against Stoke last year. We did not keep a clean sheet in either of those games and both games ended in a draw.

Epicurean

Supports
Ajax
This is a laughable post ofcourse. Your posts looks like one from a frustrated fan boy that can't take it that people don't regard Blind as a world class player.

Blind did not play and it is just a bit sad that you feel to need to post something like this. In this topic, we discuss the players performances. Even though we have won games with a clean sheet, does not mean people can't think a player did not perform up to their standards. You might think that people are unfair in their judgement, but by posting something like this, you clearly show that you are not objective about this player. Not that it is a shock, as you are an Ajax supporter who is defending their ex player, which is very common on Dutch forums as well.

The away game against Stoke has been a hard one for us for years now. For you information, Blind played both matches against Stoke last year. We did not keep a clean sheet in either of those games and both games ended in a draw.
Oh not at all. I'll be the first one to admit and confirm that Blind is not a world class player. It isn't about that. He is a good player, though and I think was it not for his physique which seems to bother some on here, I think

I indeed do think that Blind is often singled out and some criticism is a bit unfair.

He has been quite solid for the last seasons now. Shaw and Darmian aren't better than him in my opinion, based on what I have seen from all of them so far. On top of that Blind is very versatile and a utility player.

Every time I hear, wait until he comes up against x player or y player and when the day comes, he seems to play quite well and contain these aforementioned speed / technician demons rather well. Then when he makes a mistake, I want to remind people whether a Maicon or another world class LB/RB didn't make any mistakes?

Sylar

TBF, I dont think Blind makes the mistake Darmian does for their first goal.
but then again, he might not be doing what Darmian did for our second goal.

Its all 'ifs and buts'. For me, neither should be long term LB anyway as we can do so much better. But from what we currently have, I dont see an issue in Blind and Darmian sharing responsibility based on whoever we are facing.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I miss him. He's our best left back and find it odd that he doesn't play more. He sits back, allowing Valencia to attack on right and rarely makes a foot wrong. If he does then he usually makes up for it. I figure playing him against physical sides might not be the best option but I hardly think Darmian is the best against physical opponents either.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I miss him. He's our best left back and find it odd that he doesn't play more. He sits back, allowing Valencia to attack on right and rarely makes a foot wrong. If he does then he usually makes up for it. I figure playing him against physical sides might not be the best option but I hardly think Darmian is the best against physical opponents either.
I think the manager got it right. He identified their right as a danger area so employed Darmian who is more defensively aware.

Unfortunately Bailly decided to have his worst game in a long time (and by the looks of it he got injured and carried on playing). His positioning was so bad this game, he was slow to clear his lines all game and would be in his own world when the team were playing the offside trap. Everytime Diouf got the run on Darmian everyone was playing offside except Bailly.

But I do agree that Blind has been a good left back for us.

welshwingwizard

I think the manager got it right. He identified their right as a danger area so employed Darmian who is more defensively aware.

Unfortunately Bailly decided to have his worst game in a long time (and by the looks of it he got injured and carried on playing). His positioning was so bad this game, he was slow to clear his lines all game and would be in his own world when the team were playing the offside trap. Everytime Diouf got the run on Darmian everyone was playing offside except Bailly.

But I do agree that Blind has been a good left back for us.
I think blind provides a calmness though that helps. Certainly felt it was his influence in the van gaal second season that made smalling look so good.

I think we missed him yesterday in that everyone looked a bit more panicked from defensive pov

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I think blind provides a calmness though that helps. Certainly felt it was his influence in the van gaal second season that made smalling look so good.

I think we missed him yesterday in that everyone looked a bit more panicked from defensive pov
I can't really agree with that; Blind is IMO the opposite of calm because he is very erratic in his movement. He likes to read the game and move early to anticipate a phase of play.

We conceded our first goal because Bailly was still affected by a knock he got earlier; so he was slow to move up the pitch and suddenly stopped tracking his man when the ball was crossed. The second goal was because of a brain fart by Jones. I don't think Blind would have helped in the key moments.

However, i think Blind was a calming force for Smalling, because Smalling is a very reactive player whereas Blind is a very quick thinker and proactive.

el3mel

Beautiful cross. I'm not convinced with him as our main LB overall but in the moment he's the best one we have in this position.

Devil may care

Nice cross for Lukaku's goal, I don't understand some being smug, Basel are a very poor side and he got an assist, but it's obvious he's not good enough to be the starting LB for a club with the aspirations United have.

Sylar

I know it indirectly came from a corner, but it makes a huge difference having a left footed left sided player (eg a LB) who can put in a cross by going down the byline and not having to cut back all the time.

Minimalist

Nice cross for Lukaku's goal, I don't understand some being smug, Basel are a very poor side and he got an assist, but it's obvious he's not good enough to be the starting LB for a club with the aspirations United have.
Well...probably?

It's still kind of irrelevant when there's no left-back in the squad that is better on paper or has demonstrated better performances. Hell, let's talk facts, the majority of our players aren't proven to be title winners at this stage - this is all up for speculation.

I mean if you want to rag on every left-back for not being Roberto Carlos, fill your boots but seems a bit daft.

stevoc

Perhaps but he's by far our best option at LB currently until Shaw ever gets fit or we buy someone, it's like night and day between Blind and Darmian. He's just so much better on the ball and is willing to contribute to his sides attack. He's always an outlet to move the play forward on the left which we miss when Darmian plays

el3mel

Perhaps but he's by far our best option at LB currently until Shaw ever gets fit or we buy someone, it's like night and day between Blind and Darmian. He's just so much better on the ball and is willing to contribute to his sides attack. He's always an outlet to move the play forward on the left which we miss when Darmian plays
Also I want to say he's not any worse than Darmian defensively. He's slow, I know, but that's not a big problem if you have a pacey winger that can track back as Rashford for example.

Again no disagreements about him not a long term main LB here, but he's the best one we have in this position. There's no point playing Darmian over him unless for rotation or if we want to play with a 3rd CB not a LB.

Status
Not open for further replies.