Daley Blind to Ajax| Deal to be done at 16m euros plus 5m in bonuses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I doubt he has a say. But his connections with agents as well as influence in the game will probably help us a bit.

Mourinho has always been a bit crafty in the transfer window, taking players from under people's noses and orchestrating swap deals despite them being generally difficult to do. He seems to be acquaintances with everyone.
Something has obviously changed since he was appointed, but I think Woody deserves a lot of credit for our recent outgoing transfers.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
I’m actually upset about this. I think he’s such a fantastic player. Reads the game well in whatever position he is played in and has a cultured left foot. He can play at LB, CB and CDM. He’s a utility player and one every team should have. Don’t want him to go.

Msuker

Intelligent player, so unfortunate that football is a more physical game than chess, and EPL more so than the Dutch league.

Ban

Sad to see him go.

Hopefully we'll get a Christmas present and see Jose leaving too.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Rarely let us down. One of LVG's better transfer decisions (basically just him and Martial for incomings).

pacifictheme

I’m actually upset about this. I think he’s such a fantastic player. Reads the game well in whatever position he is played in and has a cultured left foot. He can play at LB, CB and CDM. He’s a utility player and one every team should have. Don’t want him to go.
I can't think of many exqmples where hes been anything but shit in cdm for united.

Ritish

Happy for him. Always wondered why it never worked between him and Mourinho, considering his versatility. Probably the injury last season made it hard for him to establish himself as a regular here. Been a fantastic servant for the club.

Witchking

Loved him at United. Extremely good player on the ball who hasn't been used correctly. Will always remember the Mata and Blind combination on the free kick against Liverpool. All the best to him.

Infestissumam

always liked him, useful and versatile player. Hoped he'd be able to nail down a spot somewhere in the lineup, but never ran away with the LB spot and for some reason never got an extended look in midfield. Surprised me when he did fairly well as a CB, but that was never going to continue under Mourinho. Moving on is for the best for sure, wish him all the best.

€16m plus add-ons is a really solid deal for Blind. Hopefully a similar deal could be had for Darmian, but somehow I doubt that the Italian clubs will get past their loan fetish and offer fair money for a permanent deal.

siw2007

Always liked Daley Blind. Very clever and astute player, also popped up with a few important goals too. Was integral to our FA cup win and played brilliantly against Ajax in the Europa league final.

Unfortunately, despite his technical and tactical qualities, he perhaps wasn’t quick enough, or strong enough, or tall enough to be a top defender for Jose.

Would have liked him to have established his place in the team here as I feel despite his deficiencies, he had a lot to offer. I’m happy with the fee we are getting for him and wish him the best of luck in the future.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Sad to see him go.

Hopefully we'll get a Christmas present and see Jose leaving too.
Ridiculous thing to say. Wishing for the team to do badly because you cannot accept Jose letting an average player go.

SSSSnake

Rare to see these intelligent players now. Shame it hasn’t worked out. But we need to move on. Our team is evolving into a power house, hard to break down type team.

Josep Dowling

United learning that just because we don’t want to keep a player doesn’t mean we have to sell at a low price.

£14m plus bonuses seems a fair price.

Feel that could have used him more as a CDM with his passing range but wasn’t meant to be.

jmaggio

I'm fine with this. He wasn't going to ever break into the first team, and he is a bit too good to be a squad player, he should be playing every week for a team like Ajax. Blind would get into most Prem teams outside top 6.

starman

Would like to have seen him go to a better league and see how he does, lots of talent. Shame Mou never fancied him in a back 3 or as a CDM

Last edited:

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Good luck to Daley. Will miss him.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Good luck Blind, we've managed to get a very respectable fee for him considering he was barely playing. Can't fault his professionalism and he's genuinely quite a talented player, hope he does well back at Ajax.

Relfy

Good squad player but the time was right to move on. Wish him all the best.

Deleted member 101472

Think the price is too low, given what Porto got for Ricardo pereira

Al-T

Always liked Blind. A skilful, technically adept footballer. Clearly Mourinho doesn't fancy him, probably because he is not physically imposing.

At least we seem to have negotiated a decent fee for him.

Wish him all the best.

Distracted Steward

Could have stayed on and done well in a different style. I like him, but this is best for both parties. Quality but no longer a fit. Not a tool Mourinho can use.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
That's not true - his arguably best position was CB, CDM and LB in that order. Him at United was used differently than a position that enabled him to play in his best position consistently.

If he was allowed to fight for a CB spot under Jose - hell in a back 3; Blind would be fought for by clubs who play that formation. He didn't try & fail at playing at CB - he was not given the opportunity by Jose just because Jose has the inability to use a player like Blind.

We saw how he bought the best out of Smalling & every other defender we have in our squad apart from Lindelpf has the same strengths & weaknesses as each other. Pacey, strong, heading yet inability to remain calm under pressure, right positioning & passing. Put 2 of them inbetween a player like Blind - we would have a better defence than a lot of the teams with an ability to initiate attacks from the back.

The fact is that Jose has an inability to change his methods to inccpperate a player like Blind within a team - defensively he needs a player like Terry - not his legendary footballing status but more of a last line of defence type defender when the rest of the 10 players have failed to defend as well.

Blind's inability to move to a big club is because he only got to play CB for 6 months - a position he was deeper & more astute at than when he played CDM for us.
But Blind isn't such a remarkable talent that Jose would need to alter his methods for him

Considering that big clubs like that would have such knowledge if they did proper scouting,they would have come for him if they deemed as remarkable a talent as you are saying .

The fact that only Ajax did is a testament to that fact .

I'm not even saying he is a bad player. But a great one he is not.

TheReligion

Abusive
Shame as actually really rate Blind who was superb as centre half under LvG.

Good money back though and fully expect these outgoings to activate more incomings as we free up our wage bill.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Would rather have sold Rojo than him but he was not Mourinho's type so fair travels to him. Dreamy guy with a dime for a girlfriend, he'll be fine in Amsterdam.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Will miss the man. Absolute class act and despite the naysayers put in some absolutely great performances. Still one of the smartest players I have seen at United in recent times and a knack for some at times world class passes. Bit surprised he isn't going to Italy or Spain where a player of his qualities is more likely to shine - but the lack of gametime the past season probably didn't help him in that regard.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Jack of all trades, master of none. Likeable character & had a very good season under Van Gaal in 15/16. Will remember the belter against Liverpool in the Martial game.

Good luck to him!!

Status
Not open for further replies.