5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

IAmAWinner

I think he is bang average, but he has already scored 2 goals. Hopefully keeps scoring, someone has to.

Devil may care

He's technically better than I gave him credit for, he's really raw but he caused Palace a problem if he could have just found a delivery, the booking was a fecking joke and his goal was class, should be an impact sub but given our current options I'm not surprised Ole is going with him.

Eddy_JukeZ

I wish he showed more bravery in attacking players.

Good goal though.

He looks better on the left.

Stevondo8

I thought that too. Reminded me of when Giroud went mental over an equaliser instead of getting on with it.

It was a bit of a 'look at me' celebration too. Bit cringey. Don't wanna be harsh on the lad, as he was the only player who actually put the ball in the net today (and with some finesse!) but just throw some fists at the crowd and crack on.
Basically what I was getting at. It’s a question of mentality really. Celebrate an equalizer, or go straight after the winner. He did well in general, just a small thing.

Bobski

Bad that he’s picked up 2 yellows for simulation when it’s been clear as day that contact was made on him. Cracking finish today as well and he seemed way better on the left than on the right.
He is very quick to go down, which refs will and may already be picking up on, leading to the harsh yellow today.

Kopral Jono

James is growing on me. Definitely raw still, but he did look like the only one (along with maybe Pogba) who could have unlocked Palace earlier in the second half as we were running out of ideas.

Very fast, decent technique and good upper-body strength surprisingly. Shaqiri-esque, dare I say. What's not to like...

Jimmy_Bond

I wish he showed more bravery in attacking players.

Good goal though.

He looks better on the left.
Definitely. He celebrates like Mbappe, just wish he had a bit more arrogance when he's one on one with a defender.

Hope he grows into a good player, but very raw at the moment and far from being a consistent first teamer we can rely on.

Andersons Dietician

He is very quick to go down, which refs will and may already be picking up on, leading to the harsh yellow today.
When you run as fast as he does and get any slight touch throwing you off your stride or balance you will go down.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Took his goal really well. Excellent finish. I don't understand why he keep getting booked when players commit fouls against him. He gets punished by the refs from being so quick. Refs are being left behind so far and they fail to grasp the effect of his tempo when the opposition stick a leg out. Terrible refs.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Doing in three matches what Sanchez couldn't do for months. Always looking for a physical challenge despite he's shorter than Lingard, doesn't get scared or demotivated in harder moments.

He's like anti neo-United modern player. For that price, I can't require more. Superb deal for a player with actual football soul.

RedStarUnited

Did ok generally, took the goal well. Main thing that irked me was celebrating the goal, with time running out it’s get the ball back, kick off, and go in search of the winner.
He was caught in the moment.

Someone should have dragged him back to half way line.

Renegade

Great finish, shit celebration. Didn’t expect him to be signed to be a starter so soon. I’m sure we believed he’d be eased in as time goes on. We have too many raw players in the team right now.

Looks better on the left. Yet signed for right. Manchester United post 2013 ladies and gentlemen.

Copa Mundial

Starting to get annoyed that some refs have him down as a serial diver when he was legitimately clipped in the last two games.

I like this lad, hope he pushes on.

Copa Mundial

Yeah. He should be on the bench next week, if only because of that. Positive start in terms of goals, but he’d do well to be reminded of what it takes to be a top player at a successful club.
Are you being serious with this response, I honestly can't tell? I liked the passion he showed after seemingly rescuing a point in the dying minutes for Utd.

Also when we're reminding players what it takes to be successful at this club there are quite a few that need to be before him in that queue.

In Rainbows

He got crucified by some on here after the Wolves game, ridiculous, he’s a young talented lad who’s started well at United.
He's not all that talented, or rather hasn't shown himself to be all that talented. He's scored two goals so I'm not complaining about a young squad player, but he really hasn't shown he's all that talented. He hasn't shown he can beat players, doesn't really have vision, hasn't been all that great at linking up play in crowded spaces, doesn't particularly have skilled feet, nor has he shown to have a powerful shot.

Still, for the price, I'm happy with him right now. Hopefully these 2 goals have him grow in confidence.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He's not all that talented, or rather hasn't shown himself to be all that talented. He's scored two goals so I'm not complaining about a young squad player, but he really hasn't shown he's all that talented. He hasn't shown he can beat players, doesn't really have vision, hasn't been all that great at linking up play in crowded spaces, doesn't particularly have skilled feet, nor has he shown to have a powerful shot.

Still, for the price, I'm happy with him right now. Hopefully these 2 goals have him grow in confidence.
While I share the sentiment of your last sentence, the bolded bit is wrong. He is beating players for fun using his pace, does it all the time as thats his game. More of a Bale than a Iniesta so crowded areas he'll not be the best. Doesn't mean he isn't talented. Displayed a beautiful finish today too. I'll rather see something like that than Rashford smashing a powerful shot wide by a mile.

PaulRich

He's raw and as green as grass but there's definitely a player in there - he looks to have the right set up to want to develop too. Cracking, cool finish for his goal too.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Is there a way I can find out some sort of crossing statistics for James? My guess is he has attempted roughly 15 crosses so far and only 1 has beaten the first defender and reached a team mate.

I also cannot work out why his movement is so poor. Is he being specifically told not to make simple forward runs to get behind defenders? When he receives the ball he is often too close to our full backs to have any real impact. Also, he genuinely runs faster than the ball on a few occasions which means the ball seems to get a bit stuck under him, which breaks down our momentum in attack a bit.

The only positive for me really was his great finish for the goal. He also has a good work ethic and puts a shift in defensively which is appreciated, however he doesn’t have a lot of actual quality on the ball. I want to see him do well here but I cannot believe a lot of people seem to be in agreement that he had a good game overall today. If that is the standard of how a winger at United should perform then we’re screwed.

Last edited:

In Rainbows

While I share the sentiment of your last sentence, the bolded bit is wrong. He is beating players for fun using his pace, does it all the time as thats his game. More of a Bale than a Iniesta so crowded areas he'll not be the best. Doesn't mean he isn't talented. Displayed a beautiful finish today too. I'll rather see something like that than Rashford smashing a powerful shot wide by a mile.
I shouldn't rule out the possibility of him turning into Bale because he has that freak speed, but he has yet to show he can dribble with the same success. He averaged 1.3 dribbles per game in the Championship, and is currently on 0.3 in the PL. Bale's numbers weren't exactly Sancho levels either, so context is that wingers beating players with pace are lower than the Sancho, Neymar type and less than the Messi, Hazard type. Bale largely ranged from 1.5-2.2.

Like I said, I'm quite happy with his contribution thus far even if I'm not a big believer in his talent. I like his attitude and want him to succeed. He is definitely a weapon that offers something different to our other players.

jungledrums

Can’t really recall him genuinely beating very many players to be honest. He’s rapid, sure, but aside from that, I wouldn’t call him a particularly talented dribbler. I don’t like to criticise our players but I’m not sure he’s altogether very good.

It would be fine ordinarily for a young guy like him to develop at United (off the bench), but he’s not starting quality, and that’s certainly what frustrates me about him/his situation. It’s not his fault that he’s been thrust into this position, but it definitely sours the situation imo.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Footballing wise I have not see too many good things and he comes across as very raw and a bit limited. However, scoring 2 goals in his first 3 games is impressive and he clearly deserves to stay in the starting 11. I anyway do not see any alternatives so we should stick with him.

Mcking

He looks like a left winger. He is physically weak, and doesn't even try to take on the fullback on the right. He controls every pass with the mindset of moving the ball backwards immediately. He looked a lot more confident, energetic, threatening and at home when he was moved to the left.

Melville Red

Can’t believe James is still getting criticised for this.
If Pogba had scored that goal people would have been having kittens over it and not a word would be said over him posing and celebrating. Oh I forgot, he’s won the World Cup hasn’t he.

Stevondo8

Can’t believe James is still getting criticised for this.
If Pogba had scored that goal people would have been having kittens over it and not a word would be said over him posing and celebrating. Oh I forgot, he’s won the World Cup hasn’t he.
I’m no Pogba fan but thing is, in that match situation Pogba wouldn’t have celebrated, just like no other player did. And that’s the point.

Tarrou

I thought the celebration looked a bit out of place but honestly, who gives a shite

Give the lad a break

He's already got a lot of pressure on his shoulders, probably too much as he's expected to start and deliver so soon into his move here. We should be easing him in.

Stevondo8

Almost as though Pogba (and everyone else) has more experience at playing at this level. Crazy, right?
Again, as I said before, it’s not a major criticism, took the goal well, and I like the player. It just irked me. That’s all.

Terminator

Couldn't care less if he celebrated or not. Scored a really good goal and had a decent game. We took almost 90 mins to get past Palace, another 10 seconds will do no harm.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town

He has played in two matches where the opposition tend to leave very little space behind the defence, so there is no room for James to use that electric pace consistently. When we play the likes of Pool and City, where we won't have so much of the ball, I think he will be an asset for us. He also looks much more comfortable on the left, but I have no doubt that we intend to start him on the right, and the only other real right sided starter is Greenwood.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Nothing wrong with celebrating a goal at all. Pleased that he actually enjoys playing and scoring goals for the club.

Next time though I’m sure he will grab the ball and start again.

It’s a difficult situation with James, he’s clearly more comfortable on the left in terms of shooting, but his work on the right is improving.

We need to get him and AWB working hard to combine, it he can practice his crossing he could be a real weapon.

I still think he will be more valuable in away games where we have less possession.

Melville Red

Starting to get annoyed that some refs have him down as a serial diver when he was legitimately clipped in the last two games.

I like this lad, hope he pushes on.
Agree. Had De Gea not fecked up, AGAIN, would people on here be so critical of the lad? If any one deserves some stick it’s De Gea another terrible goal he has given away, no excuses it was an awful goal to be beaten at his near post like that, no excuses.

deleon

I'm still upset about the booking. Unlike the red card and penalty decisions, this is a refereeing error with a much longer term impact, because of how difficult it is for players to shrug off reputations for diving.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

He’s clearly talented. FFS. Even if you only saw his last goal you would see he’s a talented young player. And he’s beaten players plenty of times. Was beating his man for fun in the second half against Wolves.

Steven-UK

We actually have a player in James who wants to play for the club, and appreciates being here. He may not be as refined (yet) but the other players should take note.

Status
Not open for further replies.