5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
He doesn't really shy from going into situations where he knows he'll be fouled anyway, usually gets there first thanks to his pace, I very much like his attitude, defo determined to make it here.
Think he could get us a few penalties as he will have defenders backtracking and will get a few tackles flying in on him.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

SATA

Got Pogba applauding his efforts when he ran to chase the ball for the team after he initially lost it and won possession back. Great to see

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
His pace alone was enough to keep the Spurs defence on the back foot throughout the first half.

He's still a little raw and he needs to work on his end product, but overall he seems to be a great signing.
Yes he needs a better end product, but in a way the end product may be that he gets fouled for freekicks etc. It is a long time since we have had somebody who makes defenders nervous.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Saw a lot today that will of course endear him to fans (and pundits/commentators I suspect). He’s brave, works hard, presses etc - but I wouldn’t want him being a fixture in any front 3 until him really threatening the opponents goal is added to that list. I love a forward with workrate, but first and foremost, you need to be a threat. I don’t think our front three can carry a ‘defensive forward’ - i.e , someone in the team to press and chase first and foremost. The likes of Firmino is firstly a goal threat and a genuine 20 goal player.

At present, I think I’d still rather Greenwood. James, presently, looks a faster version of a Jesse playing as a forward, and I never liked Jesse playing there either as we simply cannot have one of our regular forwards be a 6 goal player. Of course, James is a young man, just saying at present, I can’t get as excited about him as some others and want him to be regular in our attack as he doesn’t look a goal threat.

Classical Mechanic

Even if his end product and technical quality doesn't improve he's going to be a good tactical player with his pace and pressing. At £15m it seems a really good deal.

Hughie77

The boy, has got some guts, he's been hit from pillar to post, in last 2 games, and you could see the spurs defenders were crapping themselves.
This is why they tried to rough him up. He has to expect that treatment, I think he's ready for it. Boy he gets around the pitch out of possession which is good.

OohAahMartial

I think he will be first choice left winger. I just hope we sign Bruno too, because this boy, with VAR, will get us countless free kicks and penalties which someone like Bruno would get so many goals from. Seems a perfect fit too for the style of play Ole wants. Great buy.

Classical Mechanic

His off-the-ball movement seems to be quite good, but his end produce is fairly weak the moment.

Just realised that sounds like I'm describing Lingard.:nervous:
I think Lingard has more quality in moments. I mean Lingard has scored some amazing goals for United. James is much better physically though. I don't recall any player with his pace over the first 10 yards, he closes down so quickly.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I think he will be first choice left winger. I just hope we sign Bruno too, because this boy, with VAR, will get us countless free kicks and penalties which someone like Bruno would get so many goals from. Seems a perfect fit too for the style of play Ole wants. Great buy.
Do they use VAR for free kick decisions?

AR87

He works his socks off, and just on the virtue of that combined with his sheer pace he'll find himself in promising positions often. Needs to work on his dribbling and end product, but I like what he brings to the mix. He provides genuine width and pace that we've lacked since, idk, Nani? Valencia when he could still be productive and take his man on?

Eddy_JukeZ

His pace/workrate is amazing, but I haven't really been impressed with him.

He's barely taken players on throughout the tour. Lacks a bit on the ball compared to others.

Hopefully he improves. Decent squad option for now.

dev1l

True, he needs to.improve aspects of his game but if Ole continues with.pressing game James will be valuable for the team

Denis79

Got Pogba applauding his efforts when he ran to chase the ball for the team after he initially lost it and won possession back. Great to see
Pogba should be taking notes on what to do when losing a ball, not applauding.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Saw a lot today that will of course endear him to fans (and pundits/commentators I suspect). He’s brave, works hard, presses etc - but I wouldn’t want him being a fixture in any front 3 until him really threatening the opponents goal is added to that list. I love a forward with workrate, but first and foremost, you need to be a threat. I don’t think our front three can carry a ‘defensive forward’ - i.e , someone in the team to press and chase first and foremost. The likes of Firmino is firstly a goal threat and a genuine 20 goal player.

At present, I think I’d still rather Greenwood. James, presently, looks a faster version of a Jesse playing as a forward, and I never liked Jesse playing there either as we simply cannot have one of our regular forwards be a 6 goal player. Of course, James is a young man, just saying at present, I can’t get as excited about him as some others and want him to be regular in our attack as he doesn’t look a goal threat.
Firminho has never scored 20 goals in a season.

Lingard and James aren't remotely similar.

I'm liking what I see from James. Give it a season adjusting to the PL and the team and I think we may have a nice little tactical gem on our hands.

Guapa

Still learning his trade and I hope the club have seen some potential in him but I'm not convinced to be honest.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

I dunno, 19 then, whatever. I’m not speaking of strictly leave goals.

And if Lingard and James both occupy a role in our front three and can’t manage up to 10 goals then they share a striking similarity.

jesperjaap

Only seen highlights of him on the tour so cant judge. General consensus seems to be great pace, attitude and workrate but not a lot of quality preseason.

My only concern there then is who is our starting left winger to be? Sanchez should be if he can actually play like we know he can but is that so likely? Martial seems inconsistent and I still would prefer to see him up fron which would make my first choice ideally to be Rashford, but its still looking to be Martial I am guessing?

All for making this kind of signing and not meaning to be argumentative or negative and just going on what I am reading here so have to see how he does when the season kicks off......but....if we are talking about a squad player, does this signing solve a problem? I think both our flanks need an upgrade from Martials inconsistency and Lingards average not the right player for the position and then lack of much at all from Mata/Sanchez.

I do see the options of Greenwood on the right and Gomes maybe even playing on the left wing, even though thats both not playing in there best positions.... not rating Chong myself from what I have seen but a cheap deal or not, I am wondering if he actually improves us in the short term at least as a signing?

Not so disappointed with the signing of James, think I am more frustated we havent moved on Mata and Sanchez this summer and bought a big replacement on top of James to be replacements for both.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

You mean in the league? I'm quite sure he hit 20+ in all competitions in 2017/18.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
I think it would have done wonders for him if we had signed a forward who had all the ability to make up for James lack of ability. Like a proper world class forward, then it wouldn't matter so much if James is a little less talented.

Castia

Love how he actually makes runs.

It’s weird to see because most of our attacking players are like fecking statues.

Zoo

There’s more to come from him I think as he grows in confidence and starts to take his opponent on more one on one. Overall he has had a good tour and shown that he can fit in at this level and isn’t just a kick and run merchant.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Looks a lot more confident on the left for now. I like what I've seen from the lad in this tour. His pace is scary, makes intelligent runs and has a good work rate.

In Rainbows

This is how I see him too. Not really a great dribbler who can beat players, but can dribble with space in front of him. Not really a creative player, nor is he a big goal scorer. He'll end up winning fouls, and he can win the ball back with his pace, but he is similar to Lingard in my eyes.

This is just an impression though. The book is still open for him.

jackal&hyde

Did much better then the previous games. He is growing in confidence. Like his attitude of getting up from tough tackles and just get on with the game. Could have a real bargain on our hands.

-Supreme-

Although I hear that he's been prodomintely played on the LW but this side is always heavily congested as most of our attacks go through here.

Id be interested to see how he performs on our right and our midfield is key to help exploit this and fully utilise his strengths as I'd imagine there will be plenty of 1v1 opportunities

Status
Not open for further replies.