Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
You mean in the league? I'm quite sure he hit 20+ in all competitions in 2017/18.
Indeed, I’m sure he was close to double figures in the CL alone. The last thing our team needs is a non-scoring forward I think. We can’t afford to carry one, we struggle enough up there.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Although I hear that he's been prodomintely played on the LW but this side is always heavily congested as most of our attacks go through here.

Id be interested to see how he performs on our right and our midfield is key to help exploit this and fully utilise his strengths as I'd imagine there will be plenty of 1v1 opportunities
A lot of teams focus their play on one side to quickly switch it to the other side to create chances. Some teams can do it on both sides but it's pretty obvious that our attacks are mainly down the left so i'd prefer someone on the right that can finish off the moves, like Greenwood. We should certainly try him more on the right but early signs suggest he's just more suited on the left.

Really like what i saw of him yesterday, he was a menace.

Red00012

Got Pogba applauding his efforts when he ran to chase the ball for the team after he initially lost it and won possession back. Great to see
Applauding something you’re rubbish at yourself.

macheda14

I’ve heard the Welsh do a lot more than that to sheep.
So a man walks into a pub, and sits down. He starts a conversation with an old farmer next to him. The old farmer has obviously had a few. He says to the man:

"You see that bridge over there? I built that, took me two months, through rain, sleet, but do they call me "Ol’ Farmer Jones the bridge builder"? No! And you see that wall over there, I built that, longest wall in the county! But do they call me "Ol’ Farmer Jones the wall builder"? No!"

The old farmer looks around, and makes sure that nobody is listening, and leans to the man, and he says:

"but you feck one sheep..."

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
So a man walks into a pub, and sits down. He starts a conversation with an old farmer next to him. The old farmer has obviously had a few. He says to the man:

"You see that bridge over there? I built that, took me two months, through rain, sleet, but do they call me "Ol’ Farmer Jones the bridge builder"? No! And you see that wall over there, I built that, longest wall in the county! But do they call me "Ol’ Farmer Jones the wall builder"? No!"

The old farmer looks around, and makes sure that nobody is listening, and leans to the man, and he says:

Is this a story about Baz?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Indeed, I’m sure he was close to double figures in the CL alone. The last thing our team needs is a non-scoring forward I think. We can’t afford to carry one, we struggle enough up there.
Firmino was a brilliant signing without a doubt. But I think he cost much more especially when you consider at the time of the respective signings, and he was far more established to boot.

James is most likely not going to be our Firmino. He's more likely to be our Chamberlain or Milner or Park. If he goes on to better than that, then well done to us, but for 15 million, getting in a strong squad player to suit the system in itself would be good for us. And you never know, maybe he goes on to even bigger things.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Firmino was a brilliant signing without a doubt. But I think he cost much more especially when you consider at the time of the respective signings, and he was far more established to boot.

James is most likely not going to be our Firmino. He's more likely to be our Chamberlain or Milner or Park. If he goes on to better than that, then well done to us, but for 15 million, getting in a strong squad player to suit the system in itself would be good for us. And you never know, maybe he goes on to even bigger things.
I’m not sure if it’s as mathematical as that, but yes, that’s likely the case. I still hope that he can develop aspects of his game so that he could be more useful than pressing and ‘winning fouls’.

Milner and Park Ji Sung could play wide in the 442 era, but I’d never want one of them up front in a 433. At present, James isn’t up to that yet. I’ve seen many putting him in their first choice XI left or right, however for me, every member of the front three should at the very least be 10 league goal players, which is probably about the minimum a player can contribute to expect to be part of our front 3.

Virgil

Must say that although its impossible to read much into pre season tours the initial signs are encouraging and maybe, just maybe we might have unearthed a diamond. Caution is needed however as we have been in similar positions many times before that have backfired on us. Never the less so far so good.

TwoSheds

I’m not sure if it’s as mathematical as that, but yes, that’s likely the case. I still hope that he can develop aspects of his game so that he could be more useful than pressing and ‘winning fouls’.

Milner and Park Ji Sung could play wide in the 442 era, but I’d never want one of them up front in a 433. At present, James isn’t up to that yet. I’ve seen many putting him in their first choice XI left or right, however for me, every member of the front three should at the very least be 10 league goal players, which is probably about the minimum a player can contribute to expect to be part of our front 3.
Pretty sure we regularly used to play 433 with Park on the left against Arsenal. And he used to tear them a new one every time. Obviously he never would have played that role much in the smaller games but when we needed to play him in those games Fergie just used to stick an extra forward on because he knew Park would do the dirty work wherever you wanted to put him. I'd be very pleased if we've found our new Park and even more pleased if he can keep developing beyond that.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Pretty sure we regularly used to play 433 with Park on the left against Arsenal. And he used to tear them a new one every time. Obviously he never would have played that role much in the smaller games but when we needed to play him in those games Fergie just used to stick an extra forward on because he knew Park would do the dirty work wherever you wanted to put him. I'd be very pleased if we've found our new Park and even more pleased if he can keep developing beyond that.
From my recollection he used to play on one wing in the big games. Always a 4-4-2, but we wouldn’t go Nani AND Ronaldo.

I don’t recall Fergie much lining up with a 433 at all tbh. He just used to play one slightly more ‘defensive’ winger in some games, be that Park or Owen Hargreaves on the right.

In any case, I also mentioned that our team cannot carry a Park on the wing. When your leading strikers are scoring about 13 each in the league at best, you can’t get away with one who scores 5 as part of your frontline. Park played with the likes of Ronaldo and Rooney, so even if we wanted to play him in a front 3 with them, we could probably get away with it.

jeepers

His end-product will have to improve. There’s another weakness I’ve noticed that there are instances he should and could be nearer, or in the box when our attacks were coming from the right.

He seems to have the right mentality to get better, his physique and fitness is already there..

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Keep in mind that he's also just 21.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Keep in mind that he's also just 21.
I have done, in a few of my posts on this topic. Still worth discussing in the now I think, as after all, the 21 year old Janes is the one we have this season.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

:lol::lol::lol:

Cloudface

From my recollection he used to play on one wing in the big games. Always a 4-4-2, but we wouldn’t go Nani AND Ronaldo.

I don’t recall Fergie much lining up with a 433 at all tbh. He just used to play one slightly more ‘defensive’ winger in some games, be that Park or Owen Hargreaves on the right.

In any case, I also mentioned that our team cannot carry a Park on the wing. When your leading strikers are scoring about 13 each in the league at best, you can’t get away with one who scores 5 as part of your frontline. Park played with the likes of Ronaldo and Rooney, so even if we wanted to play him in a front 3 with them, we could probably get away with it.
Park played in a front three lots, even against 'smaller' teams. He was good there too.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Park played in a front three lots, even against 'smaller' teams. He was good there too.
Not how I remember it, but okay. Not sure what would have been happening in the 3 behind him then. We never used a #10 under Fergie, always two strikers. First 10 he bought that I can recall was Kagawa in his last season, and even he ended up either wide or on the bench because Fergie played Rooney and Persie.

We always played a 442, with one more offensive winger, and Park on the other wing. Ahead of him was Rooney and either Ruud, Saha or whoever, can’t be asked to check what year was what tbh.

Park was never in the team to primarily provide a goal threat, although he popped up with some key ones.

TwoSheds

Not how I remember it, but okay. Not sure what would have been happening in the 3 behind him then. We never used a #10 under Fergie, always two strikers. First 10 he bought that I can recall was Kagawa in his last season, and even he ended up either wide or on the bench because Fergie played Rooney and Persie.

We always played a 442, with one more offensive winger, and Park on the other wing. Ahead of him was Rooney and either Ruud, Saha or whoever, can’t be asked to check what year was what tbh.

Park was never in the team to primarily provide a goal threat, although he popped up with some key ones.
We definitely didn't always play 2 strikers, we regularly played 451/433 or whatever you want to call it, particularly in European away games, but also in the league. Often it was Park, Rooney, Ronaldo for example. Whilst Ronaldo didn't do much tracking back he was definitely still playing wide right or left for the most part.

Alemar

every member of the front three should at the very least be 10 league goal players, which is probably about the minimum a player can contribute to expect to be part of our front 3
It’s better to operate with “goal+assist” figures. If a player doesn’t score but gives 15 assists it’s also excellent for the team

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

Here's a fairly significant example of when we played Park in a 433

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_UEFA_Champions_League_Final

It happened plenty, and we were never as rigidly stuck to a 442 as you're suggesting

Canagel

His presence has seemed to have freed up Martial to play at #9 and give him more space.
Really clever signing by OGS if he was bought with that intention. I was sick of Martial being stuck on the wing last season.

His presence has seemed to have freed up Martial to play at #9 and give him more space.
Really clever signing by OGS if he was bought with that intention. I was sick of Martial being stuck on the wing last season.
I think he was too tbh

Classical Mechanic

Vidic was even worse. He was outjumped by a midget.
Vidic was skinned on the first goal. If you watch the goal both Rio and O'Shea are culpable. O'Shea seems preoccupied by a player miles away from the play and backs away from Messi when he could have followed him in and challenged. Rio doesn't seem aware of Messi either. Both were very bad goals to concede. VDS should have done better on the Eto'o goal too.

It's at 4.09 on this video

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
I think Lingard has more quality in moments. I mean Lingard has scored some amazing goals for United. James is much better physically though. I don't recall any player with his pace over the first 10 yards, he closes down so quickly.
James really catches the opposition by surprise with the speed he comes at to win the ball. That will certainly endear him to the United faithful. Hopefully, we'll see a significant increase in turnovers from the opposition to allow those more capable on the ball than James to capitilise. The speed he closes down ... I would have to think back to David Odonkor .
Watch 00:21 and 2:26 - 3:22

James being "much better physically" makes his off the ball movement a greater () nuisance for the opposition. Does it twice in succession 1:50 - 2:03
Worst case scenario a punt for a modern day Dennis Rommerdahl.
Best case scenario - Fundamental to Ole's desire to have Man Utd outwork the vast majority of opposition

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Vidic was skinned on the first goal. If you watch the goal both Rio and O'Shea are culpable. O'Shea seems preoccupied by a player miles away from the play and backs away from Messi when he could have followed him in and challenged. Rio doesn't seem aware of Messi either. Both were very bad goals to concede. VDS should have done better on the Eto'o goal too.

It's at 4.09 on this video

Why is this myth about Messi outjumping giants persist when it ain't even what happened ? It was terrible defending that allowed him tons of space.

KennyBurner

This guy only has one quality attribute which is pace. Expecting anything else is asking too much. I know we didnt sign him for the first team(I hope) but he is really lacking in quality.

What I do like is his workrate and ability to keep it simple but he needs a bit more at the highest level.

Thiagoal

Needs a Prem loan this season to refine his game! Well off the required standard for United at present

Status
Not open for further replies.