5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil may care

Worked his socks off, got a goal and was booked for nothing, should have been a penalty imo. He wasted some good breaks as well but given how little he's played I thought he had a good game.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Ole knew to play him he’s perfect on the counter. Weird how Leeds played so much into our hands today.

MiracleInMadrid

On two or three occasions he completely missed to control or even hit high balls. Annoyed me a bit. But he was critical to our constant pressing in the first half, and generally worked his socks off. Smart tactical option, and used very well by Ole in this match.

Matt851

Played well, obviously still has his limitations but good to know he is at least an option going forward. Would be tempted to start him against everton in the cup. Maybe with him and greenwood either side of cavani

Worked his socks off, got a goal and was booked for nothing, should have been a penalty imo. He wasted some good breaks as well but given how little he's played I thought he had a good game.
poor booking from the ref. Would have been very soft, but Leeds couldn’t really complain if that was a pen. Certainly not a dive.

did well today, I feel he’s playing the role Lingard used to play. Lots of pace, pressing and closing down. Has his uses, especially when we have so many games.

Ranie

Very pleased for him. Excellent work rate and impossible to beat his pace on the counter. He’s obviously lacking confidence as you would expect but hopefully he can build on this performance.

dalriada

I thought he was a natural choice against Leeds - when you need to rotate and use the squad, there was never going to be a better side to play him against than Leeds.
In an ideal world you would use him against high pressing sides like Liverpool, but at the moment his poor decision making rules him out in those matches and it's pointless playing him against the lower teams that sit back.
There's still plenty of time for him to improve, though, and I hate the way he's vilified by a lot of posters here.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I’ve been sticking up for him for a while so I’m Glad he had another good game. He’s so small but when he gets going he’s gone, if he keeps improving he could end up being a really valuable rotation player for us against teams that play high up. He was way overplayed last year when he was clearly struggling but you couldn’t ever fault his effort and attitude. He was putting himself into dangerous positions and messing up but to my eyes he was still making the correct runs and trying to be positive but his game was letting him down. Hopefully now he’s got his confidence back he can become more effective and kick on.

Last edited:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
That was certainly never a yellow. He keeps getting booked when he falls over running at full tilt and impacted by a defender. IMV it was a foul. He's being penalised for being quicker than everyone else.

Tapori

Top lad.
Can be an absolutely vital player in key matches as he showed last season against City et al.
One of the best Wingers/Forwards defensively and positionally but was slightly poor on that front today. Attacking wise gives him so much confidence

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
He's a solid young man. But the situation he came into over the last couple of years definitely messed his head up.

Nick7

Thought he was very very good. Works brilliantly in the team for games like this, where there is loads of space for him to buzz around in. Not the player we need for teams that will sit back, but he has his uses.

Chief123

Fair play to the lad, he did his job perfectly today.

I was shocked and disappointed to see him in the starting lineup, but I immediately realised it could also be a great call by Ole. It was a huge call and it paid off.

It was blatantly obvious Leeds were going to come at us like they have with every team so far. High energy reckless football.

Therefore there was always going to be tons of space for our forwards to run into. In this scenario James was a great shout.

Yes he is limited in his ability and I do think long term he probably won’t have enough qualities to make it at Utd simply because we’ll come against Parked buses more often than we will against teams like Leeds.

He was extremely effective today just like he has been previously against the likes of City, Chelsea and Liverpool when they’ve come at us and left space to attack.

Great performance by the kid and credit where it’s due.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Very good tonight. Hopefully this convinces Leeds to approach him in January. Half a season playing regular heavy metal football could shape him into a solid footballer.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
I have been staunchly against James in the past because I didn't think he had enough about him.
After today, I am going to change my opinion, I now think he can make it but the problem is even he doesn't believe he belongs at this level. Just watch him run, looks like he's trying to take up as little space as possible. The move was just too big for him. What he needs is a loan move as has been rumoured and suggested by most. The Leeds move would be really great because not only is he at least as good as their players, the expansive style of play will force him out of his shell. I really hope he goes in January as he'll come back a completely different player.

bucky

Does he now have a reputation for diving despite the fact that he almost never does? I think he's got a yellow last year, which was clearly a dive and afterwards referees almost regularly got it wrong with him, when he wasn't getting fouls some other players would have got.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Given the amount of game time he's likely to get for the rest of the season, and that we've signed 2 players who play RW, I'd get him out on loan for the rest of the season to somewhere where he'll get regular game time.

I think he has potential, but he needs to develop, he's not going to do that without actually playing.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Very good performance. Few poor decision making but look he's not top class anyway so you expect few weak spot of the player. I didn't moan when I saw his name on the XI today as I understood what Ole tried to do to use his strength.

Now Bielsa will want him even more.

Obiorahking_

Now you know why Leeds were trying to get this guy on loan. Not seeing him play in forever made me forget how crazy his workrate is. If he can sort out the rest of his game he might have a career here.

Chief123

Given the amount of game time he's likely to get for the rest of the season, and that we've signed 2 players who play RW, I'd get him out on loan for the rest of the season to somewhere where he'll get regular game time.

I think he has potential, but he needs to develop, he's not going to do that without actually playing.
He’d actually be a perfect loan signing for Leeds. Suit their style perfectly. Very direct high energy football.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He is not a right winger. Would love him to be tried on left. Hope he starts against Everton on left.

Good game today.

Ole'sattheWheel

That yellow for "diving" was ridiculous. I remember last year he got a similar one vs Wolves (maybe). Gets kicked all over the place and gets booked for diving when he has the nerve to go down.

Maybe the best game I've seen him play for us today, buzzing all over the place.
I can't believe Leeds came to OT and played such an open game like that, clearly the blueprint is to sit off and frustrate us.
No complaints here though, I think after McTominay and Bruno he was easily our best player, happy for the lad

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
That yellow for "diving" was ridiculous. I remember last year he got a similar one vs Wolves (maybe). Gets kicked all over the place and gets booked for diving when he has the nerve to go down.
I remember the start of last season the refs were eagle eyed to feck, all over him for 'diving'. I'm sure he got blooted a few times and booked for diving, from memory.

Red_toad

That was certainly never a yellow. He keeps getting booked when he falls over running at full tilt and impacted by a defender. IMV it was a foul. He's being penalised for being quicker than everyone else.
Indeed defenders aren’t allowed to tackle with their arms. Very harsh booking, VAR should have rescinded it, there was physical contact that caused him to fall, not worthy of a penalty but certainty enough to knock him off balance.

Ole'sattheWheel

I remember the start of last season the refs were eagle eyed to feck, all over him for 'diving'. I'm sure he got blooted a few times and booked for diving, from memory.
Yeah I specifically remember he was in decent form up until then. Shame as I think he has a place in a title challenging team with his attributes but he seems to not do so well under adversity. Happy for him tonight though, took his goal really well and was a fantastic outlet all game

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
His decision-making was horrible (including the penalty/dive episode, he should've made the pass way earlier), but you can't question his effort. The first touch for the goal was brilliant though, it was a very tough pass to control and he stopped it and proceeded to score.

I guess a good decision by Ole in the end? Scrap the "I guess part", the result speaks for itself.

Web of Bissaka

The game, quality of the opposing team and them freely giving us so many spaces suit James to the tee.

Good thing he performed well as expected. Terrible if he didn't even with all this good conditions helping him to perform best.

His glaring weaknesses is still obvious though.

Good confidence to get for the next upcoming set of heavy fixtures :drool: come on!

edcunited1878

Happy he played well and got a goal. He ran his nuts off. Makes poor decisions in and around the box at the same rate as Rashford, which is really frustrating, but hopefully he'll improve on it. Pressed extremely well and his movement from the right side was very good. Harshly and wrongly booked.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Maybe the best game I've seen him play for us today, buzzing all over the place.
I can't believe Leeds came to OT and played such an open game like that, clearly the blueprint is to sit off and frustrate us.
No complaints here though, I think after McTominay and Bruno he was easily our best player, happy for the lad
The ref seemed so sure of it too, fecking pathetic tbh. No way to rescind it either, it was a disgrace

meamth

Rashford and James on the left, Greenwood and Diallo on the right?

That's the plan? I'm okay with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.