5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

frookydinho

The pass to Bruno wasn't a good pass at all. Its fortunate Bruno was able to stretch out to direct it to Rashford. He seems like a likeable lad, he has pace. But he hasn't really got a footballing brain good enough for to play at the level we want, nor his is technical ability up to the required standard. I think he will have a decent Premier League career, but is certainly not good enough for to play for us.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I never argued he’s Giggs reborn. I just said he’s fast. Giggs said he’s faster than he ever was and the fastest footballer he ever saw. Similar comments have been made numerous times. He’s weak, a poor dribbler, tactically not good at using his speed, but he is bloody quick. Look at his race against Salah for instance.
He's probably quick but it doesn't matter as he doesn't know how to use, or more likely, doesn't have the ability to at the highest level. He would be acceptable if he could actually run at players albeit in a one dimensional manner like Aaron Lennon. But he doesn't even have that, as his acceleration doesn't seem great. Or maybe it's the fact that defenders are confident in brushing him off the ball as he's do puny. Either way, he's simply not good enough.

Eternitiy

How did Chelsea secure Pulisic in 2019 and United ended up with a Championship footballer who was only wanted previously by Leeds?

One thing that still frustrates me with Ole is that he plays favourites. Even Jesse Lingard, for all his faults, is a more intelligent and competent player than Daniel James. How is it that Lingard has not even been a consideration this season? Seems unfair.

Bwuk

Would happily see him never start for us again. Just don’t think he’s anywhere near the required level.

Fracture90

At best he's a championship quality player, pace being his only redeeming quality, everything else left to be desired.

Terminator

He played quite well today. Did well to help make the first goal, helped defensively very well. He had no worse a game than rashford or martial, I find it odd why people can’t be balanced with their views.
Its unforgivable to be that poor technically and start for a PL team. Had way too many poor first touches in the first half that ended up either putting pressure on himself or giving possession away.

While Martial was also poor last night IMO, he never looks so out of depth as James does. In what metric do you think he played well? First touch, short passing, long passing, defensive work, hold up play, one - twos?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He has been very poor in the last match, and he shouldn't start any league games at all. His only role should be in there sub bench coming on and running at tired legs in the 2nd half.

lex talionis

I'd say is the bare minimum, not admirable. That would be something, in top of being shit moaning, can't give yourself that luxury when you're so poor.
You’re to right rebut my claim that Daniel’s lack of moaning is admirable, but what I mean by that is that he doesn’t sulk (in contrast to Martial) or try to profit off his newfound fame (in contrast to Lingard), get involved in off-pitch activities that he must apologize for (In contrast to Greenwood) or get into trouble with law enforcement (in contrast to Maguire). His good character doesn’t overcome the fact that his quality just isn’t up to United standards, but sometimes a manager needs a player like James to give him a credible threat to other players when their head is done in, as appears to be the case with Martial and Greenwood this season so far. Daniel James will never, ever have the quality of Anthony Martial or Mason Greenwood, and yes it would be fantastic if we had an athletic version of Mata willing to be on standby to be called on at the manager’s whim, but we don’t and what we have instead is a pace merchant (no one denies this) who gives us a different threat defenders have to worry about when the manager feels one or two of his forwards aren’t right.

Daniel did put in a decent performance against Leeds and although he was mostly gash against Leicester he did put in a good foot leading to the first goal. Let’s give him a little bit of breathing room to improve, but if he doesn’t we may need to find a club for him to succeed at.

I don’t know this up be true, but I’ve read he’s been quite effective for Wales. Maybe there is a decent footballer in his small frame.

Devil81

The introduction of this kid Diallo must surely push him hown the pecking order.

I'd imagine he'd leave in the summer.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
He outpaced bloody Walker. He and Traore are probably the fastest in the league. If you don’t think he’s good, then I don’t necessarily disagree, but he is rapid as feck. If you do not believe me, and since you haven’t seen him run:
he sometimes thinks too much when running instead of trusting himself more. Today, he was in open space and could have taken on Fofana, and probably won, but he decided to try a pass to a wide open Bruno.
First five clips are from Swansea and barely one shows his pace with the ball. People talk like he is lightning, yet he is running past slower players and chasing his punted ball into space.

He is nowhere near the second fastest player in the league. Sorry.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
He outpaced bloody Walker. He and Traore are probably the fastest in the league. If you don’t think he’s good, then I don’t necessarily disagree, but he is rapid as feck. If you do not believe me, and since you haven’t seen him run:
he sometimes thinks too much when running instead of trusting himself more. Today, he was in open space and could have taken on Fofana, and probably won, but he decided to try a pass to a wide open Bruno.
Also love how many of his runs finish with him hitting his cross against the first man.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
The pass was fine.
It was a simple 10 yard pass played about 3 yards too far in front of Bruno instead of playing a square ball giving Bruno a very good chance at goal. It was that bad a pass I'm still not sure Bruno meant his assist for Rashford because he was strectched to his limit and just tried to get some sort contact on the ball. But Bruno being Bruno I'll definitely give him the benefit of the doubt.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He doesn’t even look that fast anymore. I don’t know what it is, whether he got injured or it’s a confidence thing but I rarely watch him anymore and think wow he’s fast.

he has decent 5-10 yard acceleration but there was a moment he was 2v1 through on goal and I thought right knock it long and blitz him but he just didn’t have anything else left?

if you take away the speed he is tiny, weak and has awful balance. He can’t play in tight spaces as he falls over at a slight breeze.

yes he works hard but it’s just not enough. I’d swap with raphinha at Leeds in a heartbeat

Devil may care

I feel sorry for him, starts one game, then not even in the squad next, then starting again, and in truth if he doesn't have acres of space to run into he's not much use. If Diallo and/or Pellistri can make an impact he won't be getting minutes at all, we should move him on in the summer at the latest.

Rossa

He's probably quick but it doesn't matter as he doesn't know how to use, or more likely, doesn't have the ability to at the highest level. He would be acceptable if he could actually run at players albeit in a one dimensional manner like Aaron Lennon. But he doesn't even have that, as his acceleration doesn't seem great. Or maybe it's the fact that defenders are confident in brushing him off the ball as he's do puny. Either way, he's simply not good enough.
Lennon was a twisty fecker with the best acceleration I’ve seen in the PL. He was not a straight line runner like Walcott. In fact, I’d say James is a little bit like Walcott. One of the very fastest in the league, but not good at using it. He is puny so easy to knock off the ball. He could have taken on Fofana and probably won the footrace, but he tried a pass to Bruno who was wide open.

He is not good enough. I am merely making an argument that pace is not an issue. He was faster than any United player in a 30-40m race by 5m or so - clearly accelwration is not an issue. Decision making on the other hand is an issue, and he often hesitates.

LJJT

Its unforgivable to be that poor technically and start for a PL team. Had way too many poor first touches in the first half that ended up either putting pressure on himself or giving possession away.

While Martial was also poor last night IMO, he never looks so out of depth as James does. In what metric do you think he played well? First touch, short passing, long passing, defensive work, hold up play, one - twos?
Played a key role in creating the opening goal. Can’t be a more important metric in my view.

Robbie Boy

He's nowhere near good enough. Best to just admit it and move him on. These kind of gambles are fun. When they come off it's awesome but more often than not, they don't really go all too well.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He should have a state of the art 3d simulation-room in his house with 100 m field to run with a ball at full speed and 3d figures will pop up for him to dribble around or find players to pass to. Only then he'll learn.

eire-red

He's useful in certain games, Leeds is the perfect example. However, for me he's completely useless against majority of opposition, and he could be easily improved upon.

Expect Diallo to push him further down the pecking order, and for him to be sold in the summer. For 15m he was a relatively riskless punt, we'll do well to recoup that for him.

Not at the level required.

G-MUFC

He's that unconfident playing at Man Utd that he seems unable to use his pace. It's really annoying to see him get out paced by a player who's not as fast as him - only at United would this happen!!

Against Leicester he gave the ball away pretty much every time he got it. He really cannot start in our next two league games when Wolves and Villa will drop and make themselves hard to beat.

Dan600

Honestly thought he had a decent game yesterday, and am surprised/disappointed how much of a hammering he’s getting everywhere.

sure he was missing at times, had the odd mistake/poor decision, but on the whole tracked back well, and looked dangerous at times running forwards, and you could tel Leicester’s didn’t like having him running at them or past them.

Recently I’ve learnt a lesson, and aloof of United fans could learn. Leave the internet alone.

Much like reviews of products, those satisfied remain silently happy with their purchase, while those who have a problem, make a noise, leave a bad review etc.

If you want a better time watching United, just leave the negativity of the forums/Reddit/Twitter alone for a few weeks, it’ll do you the world Of good.

I was sat here quietly pleased with our performance even though the result was disappointing, and thought some of the squad players did well. I come on here to mountains of negativity. Time to leave this place alone again. I gain nothing from frequenting, it only adds to imaginary, unnecessary stress levels.

VictoriaRed

Blows my mind that this fella starts over Greenwood, or any other player for that matter! Bring him on late when we are up 2 or 3. Every time he gets the ball in tight situations, I cringe!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The lad doesn't deserve to be ridiculed ffs. It's not his fault. He's trying his best and is just out of his depth. Let's leave it at that.

I don't think he will be here much longer.
Not sure what sort of content you expect to read in a Daniel James performance thread. It is going to be overwhelmingly negative as he is terrible.

I don’t see any of the personal dislike that is frequently aimed at Pogba or Lingard directed at him on here, but there is little other way to comment about his performances than the way people do.

city-puma

why doesn’t he add unpredictables to his speed? He only does full speed run in a preset straight line. Change of speed and direction during the run will make markers painful to follow. Giggs had been doing it even when he was in mid-30s and played in our central midfield role. Probably his lack of close controls makes it hard for him. Raphinha and Neto are an obvious upgrade.
But at least, he works hard and gives his all. Still very useful in certain games when we need greater defense responsibilities from him on side.
Maybe he can eventually develop his game to a higher level. Not sure whether it’s a good idea for him to stay here and play with limited game time. But, he could prove himself eventually cause he is still young.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
why doesn’t he add unpredictables to his speed? He only does full speed run in a preset straight line. Change of speed and direction during the run will make markers painful to follow. Giggs had been doing it even when he was in mid-30s and played in our central midfield role. Probably his lack of close controls makes it hard for him. Raphinha and Neto are an obvious upgrade.
But at least, he works hard and gives his all. Still very useful in certain games when we need greater defense responsibilities from him on side.
Maybe he can eventually develop his game to a higher level. Not sure whether it’s a good idea for him to stay here and play with limited game time. But, he could prove himself eventually cause he is still young.
There’s no great mystery as to why he doesn’t do the things that Giggs, Neto or Raphina do. He’s an inferior player to them that’s why. You can’t get mad at James and ask why doesn’t he do the things Ryan Giggs did! He’s nowhere near the same calibre.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
What the hell happened to him?
Looked absolutely amazing at the beginning of last season but then instead of improving the more he played the worse he got :houllier:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It was a simple 10 yard pass played about 3 yards too far in front of Bruno instead of playing a square ball giving Bruno a very good chance at goal. It was that bad a pass I'm still not sure Bruno meant his assist for Rashford because he was strectched to his limit and just tried to get some sort contact on the ball. But Bruno being Bruno I'll definitely give him the benefit of the doubt.
Exactly. I mean shit happens but he doesn't deserve a lot of praise for an inaccurate pass amidst a woeful peformance.

At this stage it's blatantly obvious that he isn't cut out for this level. Should have sold him or loaned him out in the summer. We have to be more ruthless with players who simply aren't talented enough. The whole "let's give him a chance/time, everyone needs 2 years, can be a squad player as he runs around" thing holds us back. Time is afforded to genuine talent.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He should have a state of the art 3d simulation-room in his house with 100 m field to run with a ball at full speed and 3d figures will pop up for him to dribble around or find players to pass to. Only then he'll learn.
Or he should just have the balled passed to him over 100 times as he's tightly marked.

The kid needs to learn how to trap and shield the ball.

Growing up I don't think he ever concerned himself with that, seeing as he got 90% of his passes with space to run onto, and the remaining 10% of passes he just flicked to run onto.

Shocking lack of fundamental skill

city-puma

There’s no great mystery as to why he doesn’t do the things that Giggs, Neto or Raphina do. He’s an inferior player to them that’s why. You can’t get mad at James and ask why doesn’t he do the things Ryan Giggs did! He’s nowhere near the same calibre.
I got your points, but I am not sure about that. My experience tells me it is better not to write off one so easily especially when the guy is young. The potential is definitely there but the most difficult part is how to fulfill it.
I remember when the young C Ronaldo firstly came to our club and brought the profoundly excitement to everyone, but the early years very soon became the real frustration for most of fans including myself. And , suddenly after a summer, he figured out how to score and regained our hearts.
I am not saying he has the same level of talent/potential as CR, but we probably should not make judgements too early. Just my two cents. ;)

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
What the hell happened to him?
Looked absolutely amazing at the beginning of last season but then instead of improving the more he played the worse he got :houllier:

He simply got found out. Pace is his only weapon, he doesn’t have anything else, and defenders all learn how to deal with his pace alone.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I got your points, but I am not sure about that. My experience tells me it is better not to write off one so easily especially when the guy is young. The potential is definitely there but the most difficult part is how to fulfill it.
I remember when the young C Ronaldo firstly came to our club and brought the profoundly excitement to everyone, but the early years very soon became the real frustration for most of fans including myself. And , suddenly after a summer, he figured out how to score and regained our hearts.
I am not saying he has the same level of talent/potential as CR, but we probably should not make judgements too early. Just my two cents. ;)
Ronaldo has been great at the beginning, even George Best has very high praise for him (he rated young Ronaldo higher talent than Giggs or any other “new George best” over the years, or even himself!). Following years he start to turn himself into more of a showpony and diver, which frustrated some fans out there, but his skills, dribbling and talent are still far ahead of everyone else in the league since day one. And of course that summer he just figured out how to score more goals and turn his talent into end products.

James has no talent and no football brain, all he got is pace. The best we could hope for, is that he could improve his brain and don’t always run like headless chicken on the pitch. There’s no talent at all so don’t expect he will become good player soon.

Last edited:

In Rainbows

What potential are you seeing? I think you're mistaking the idea that he's young and therefore has potential to grow, with the idea that he actually has star potential like Ronaldo had when he came to United. James doesn't have the latter. He didn't even standout in the championship compared to younger Zaha, Sessegnon, etc... He's not technically gifted either. He doesn't even dribble well.

Maybe he has potential to become an Aaron Lennon type player and even that could be overselling him.

hobbers

Every forward player who gets on the pitch for United is going to have good moments, enough to fill a 3 minute youtube video, if they play enough. We've seen it often enough, haven't we? From Bellion to Welbeck, Macheda, Januzaj and Lingard.

These players were all never in a million years good enough and James is considerably less talented than most of them.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Three yards off the mark, blasphemy. Chop his feet off. He's not worthy of having them. Just as easy as the scenario where all three defenders got frozen by where the pass was played into allowing Bruno an angle free from defenders to instinctively poke the ball to Rashford. It could easily have just been played into the path of Bruno's run away from goal and amounted to a blocked shot or intercepted pass to Martial or Rashford.

We don't need the obsessive pedantry that results in calling a run of the mill pass in a move that resulted in a goal, shit.

GlasgowCeltic

I think he will be a good Prem player in the end, but it won’t be with Utd and I suspect he’ll have to drop down a division first. Can see him eventually coming back at a bottom half club in the Matt Etherington mould. But for now you don’t lose points as a fan for saying what you see, which is that he is clearly out of his depth and should t be near the team.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
James has no talent and no football brain, all he got is pace. The best we could hope for, is that he could improve his brain and don’t always run like headless chicken on the pitch. There’s no talent at all so don’t expect he will become good player soon.
Jeez man that's brutal. James has talent, he needs to work on a few things if he wants to play for this club because this is a top top club. At the same time, he is what he is and we shouldn't expect him to become Ronaldo or whatever, he cost us 15m. It is completely fine if he doesn't make it. I feel there is no need to go completely overboard here.

Status
Not open for further replies.