5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

EngimaMK

They can feck off for £25m when Ben White is going to go for more than £40m.
Who is buying though? That's the question... If white goes for that price, it's to a club that can afford it, hence the high price.

EngimaMK

James is great fecking squad player and calling for him to get sold is absolutely insane.
It's amazing to have a committed player with electrifying pace, who always has a goal or assist in him as an option. If his end product was flawless, he wouldn't have costed us 20 mil, but 120.
You can't have a full 25 man squad of world class flawless players.You can't upgrade what James has to offer for 20 million, no chance. He is a bargain and he has a place in our team.
Inclined to agree

Gandalf

Who is buying though? That's the question... If white goes for that price, it's to a club that can afford it, hence the high price.
That static, slow as feck Everton squad could certainly use his pace and I think their chairman could cough up a decent fee just as one example. I don't want to sell him though, it looks certain Pellistri is going on loan again and likely we will do the same with Elanga. I can definitely see a role for him next year and as others have said, you are not going to replace what he offers for 20m.

Bondi77

I did not see the game but I just read the BBC match report and he was described as an absolute menace to the opposition and he was 3rd highest in the team rankings and then I read some of the negativity on this site....what is the agenda here??????

big rons sovereign

I did not see the game but I just read the BBC match report and he was described as an absolute menace to the opposition and he was 3rd highest in the team rankings and then I read some of the negativity on this site....what is the agenda here??????
To shit on all the United lads at the tournament.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
One thing with James that sometimes gets overlooked is the context of his move to Manchester United.

Despite his age at the time, he only ever played one season for Swansea in the first team. He was really exciting that season, but he was far from the best player, talented but raw. Very inexperienced. Players like Toney and Buendia making big steps up I could envisage, but James to Manchester United without a loan in between felt like a step too far. He was a young player with a single season in the championship. It’s not easy to go to a club like Manchester United, you can count on one hand the other clubs with similar difficulty (and I’m excluding the thumb!).

He’s done better than I thought he would, despite looking like an awkward fit and often looking a little out of his depth. He’s very hard working and ambitious, and I admire his courage.

I think a loan next season would be great, he’s still relatively young, even more so when you count the number of games he’s played. And it might be best for both player and club with the youngsters United have coming through, and their transfer targets. He might never be right for a Manchester United, but he’s a player with room for growth.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
James is great fecking squad player and calling for him to get sold is absolutely insane.
It's amazing to have a committed player with electrifying pace, who always has a goal or assist in him as an option. If his end product was flawless, he wouldn't have costed us 20 mil, but 120.
You can't have a full 25 man squad of world class flawless players. You can't upgrade what James has to offer for 20 million, no chance. He is a bargain and he has a place in our team.
The day might come when he needs more regular first team football and wants away, but until that time he's a good value squad player for us, agreed.

Born2Lose

One thing with James that sometimes gets overlooked is the context of his move to Manchester United.

Despite his age at the time, he only ever played one season for Swansea in the first team. He was really exciting that season, but he was far from the best player, talented but raw. Very inexperienced. Players like Toney and Buendia making big steps up I could envisage, but James to Manchester United without a loan in between felt like a step too far. He was a young player with a single season in the championship. It’s not easy to go to a club like Manchester United, you can count on one hand the other clubs with similar difficulty (and I’m excluding the thumb!).

He’s done better than I thought he would, despite looking like an awkward fit and often looking a little out of his depth. He’s very hard working and ambitious, and I admire his courage.

I think a loan next season would be great, he’s still relatively young, even more so when you count the number of games he’s played. And it might be best for both player and club with the youngsters United have coming through, and their transfer targets. He might never be right for a Manchester United, but he’s a player with room for growth.
His dad also died the Summer he came to us.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Nice lad, not good enough. Sell him

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I think he is crying out for better coaching. I have this horrible feeling that if we sell him he will rock up at Chelsea or Man City in a couple of years and be unstoppable.
Doubt it myself

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Same craic with Fred and his last few games for Brazil. “Oh Fabinho must be injured” “didn’t do much” and so on when he was very solid and for all the hate he’s simply had a better season than Fabinho and that’s why he’s in the Brazil team now. It’s like lads stop underrating our hard working players and carrying on these agendas. look at the bigger picture- the big wage and reputation players we have. They are the ones you’re going to live and die on at the end of the day.

El Zoido

I think he is crying out for better coaching. I have this horrible feeling that if we sell him he will rock up at Chelsea or Man City in a couple of years and be unstoppable.
One of the craziest things I’ve ever read on the caf. He’s extremely average, he’ll end up like Danny Welbeck, carted around relegation fodder teams. He’s being coached just fine, he’s just not cut out for a top club.

hobbers

I have this horrible feeling that if we sell him he will rock up at Chelsea or Man City in a couple of years and be unstoppable.
Not a chance in hell. If we sell him he'll probably end up back in the championship within 3 seasons.

Gandalf

One of the craziest things I’ve ever read on the caf. He’s extremely average, he’ll end up like Danny Welbeck, carted around relegation fodder teams. He’s being coached just fine, he’s just not cut out for a top club.
Eye of the beholder. I think he is definitely above average and it is frankly offensive to put him in the Welbeck class. He offers more than Martial already and is younger and significantly less experienced. I am not saying it will happen but he definitely has the ability to come back to haunt us if we cut him loose too soon. On the coaching point, I don't see any evidence that our current coaching staff have improved any players, most have gone backwards under this staff.

El Zoido

Eye of the beholder. I think he is definitely above average and it is frankly offensive to put him in the Welbeck class. He offers more than Martial already and is younger and significantly less experienced. I am not saying it will happen but he definitely has the ability to come back to haunt us if we cut him loose too soon. On the coaching point, I don't see any evidence that our current coaching staff have improved any players, most have gone backwards under this staff.
Baffling. Almost every player has improved under this management compared to the previous, the only one who's worse is De Gea. Everyone else is significantly better. Even James himself, who didn't play under the previous manager, is a better player now than when he first joined. If he's playing well for Wales then his club coaching would play a large part in that.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

If we’re looking at the context of his move, how about the death of his old man when the ink was barely dry on his contract? That sort of trauma can mess with the head of far older and more experienced players than James. Shane Duffy’s just had an absolutely horrendous season at Celtic which he puts in part down to a similar bereavement.

James cost us such a small fee and isn’t on huge wages that we can (literally) afford to be patient with him. I can’t see any harm keeping him as a squad player. He has a lot of good qualities and could still turn out a valuable member of the squad.

Ibi Dreams

For Wales he's still showing the limitations he shows with us. Great pace and effort, but lacking the quality to consistently create chances

Don't get me wrong, he's had a couple of good games for Wales and has been an important player for them, but it's not like he's been a different player to the one we see for United.

Thiagoal

His pressing and pace is extremely valuable to us if we are playing a top team that will leave space in behind- or if we are ahead and he’s coming off the bench against tired legs. Any other scenario and he is nowhere near good enough but definitely worth keeping as a squad player for the above scenarios

The White Pele

I hope he has a big moment for Wales against one of the better teams in the next phase. Would do wonders for his confidence.

I look forward to him hopefully getting more opportunities on the left next season, or alternatively this is a good shop window for us to recover the investment we made.

Gandalf

I hope he has a big moment for Wales against one of the better teams in the next phase. Would do wonders for his confidence.

I look forward to him hopefully getting more opportunities on the left next season, or alternatively this is a good shop window for us to recover the investment we made.
If we are to sell him we should be looking to do a lot more than recover the investment. If he was worth 18m after a season with Swansea he should be worth a lot more now.

United in sin

Like Di Maria, Depay, Lukaku, Martial and Pogba? That’s the reason we are where we are. Few more players who give everything like Cavani Fred and James are exactly what’s needed to finally fully shake things up. We turned into the spice boys post Fergie whether that’s what people want to hear or not. People repeatedly standing up for Rashford and Martial walking around the pitch doing nothing and then James misses a cross after absolutely working his ass off all game

“typical”
James is championship level IMO and will be shipped off soon enough. I don't think Solskjaer is convinced anymore. Out of the players you mentioned only Di Maria and Depay failed to contribute anything substiancial to united.

I'm going to wager a guess that those aforementioned players did/do nothing for you partly because they are seen as a threat to the traditions and culture that reflect the so called United way. James is hard working yes, but he offers nothing. Players of his ilk don't belong to clubs seriously challenging for titles

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Well done dan James, cracking performance tonight, left it all out there.

Red00012

I get the feeling if he wasn’t at the club the same people who criticise him would be the ones asking for him to be signed

Gandalf

James is championship level IMO and will be shipped off soon enough. I don't think Solskjaer is convinced anymore. Out of the players you mentioned only Di Maria and Depay failed to contribute anything substiancial to united.
Not a chance. I can agree he has not convinced at the very top level and you can argue he never will but he is levels above countless current PL players. He would tear it up in the Championship but even at PL level he would be an automatic starter for over half the teams in the league.

Bondi77

Best cross of the season was for the debut goal for Elanga and with the left foot, he simply does not get enough credit for the good things he does IMO.

Foxbatt

He had a good game today again. It was in the 88th minute he sprinted forward and as he passed the half way line you can see that he was already slowing down and out on his feet. Yes that cross was just a bit too high but tiredness can play a huge role. Yes he is inexperienced and he is not a top class player but on his wages and he what he does he can be very useful. It is not as if he is a regular starter in the team anyway. We need squad players like him.

kidbob

Good post mate, I agree with all of that except for the loan out part. To be honest he's a very good back up player (which is what he was bought for) and we have never really used him with a proper 9. Hell if we had prime Ole then an awful lot of James' 'bad plays' would have resulted in goals. The lad runs for days and works his ass off, I certainly have no problem with him being here.

Idxomer

I think his level is a bit higher than Iwobi when he was sold to Everton.

If the people running the club are shrewd, they could get 35m for him which covers a nice chunk of Sancho's transfer.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin

I'm going to wager a guess that those aforementioned players did/do nothing for you partly because they are seen as a threat to the traditions and culture that reflect the so called United way. James is hard working yes, but he offers nothing. Players of his ilk don't belong to clubs seriously challenging for titles
I just want us to play with more intensity. A more aggressive team thats less interested in saying the right things in the press and just getting the job done. We’ve had way too many nice/moody guys and clothing brands relative to our complete lack of success on the pitch.

United in sin

Not a chance. I can agree he has not convinced at the very top level and you can argue he never will but he is levels above countless current PL players. He would tear it up in the Championship but even at PL level he would be an automatic starter for over half the teams in the league.
If he truly is better than countless PL players (maybe you can offer some examples) then why has his united career regressed? His end product in season one was less than impressive and that was reflected by Solskjaer's usage of him in season two. His minutes took a huge hit and all but one of his goals came against teams that gave up after united built huge unassailable leads.

James never once tore it up in the championship for Swansea or even at Shewsbury where his loan was terminated because he couldn't break into the team and that was league one.

That was only two seasons before United bought him! I'm aware two seasons can be a world of difference in football especially in the developmental stages of a young player's career but James only scored 4 in 33 league games for Swansea.

James scored 6 goals total for them. Hardly impressive, hardly the type of productivity that merits a move to a club of United's magnitude and straight to the first team at that. We have youth players in our ranks who are more talented than James and very likely to have much higher ceilings. James will be 24 in about 4 months and he's still talked about like he's a recent academy graduate. The basics are still not there and at this point I think it's beyond coaching. He will find his level

Last edited:

Gandalf

James played 1 season for Swansea, his debut season. I don't recall CR7 putting up amazing numbers in his first season in senior football either, it takes time to develop. I don't know that there is much else to add, you disagree with me because you say he has regressed, El Zoido disagreed with me because he says he has improved. If you want me to name a player then sure, Steven Bergwijn at Spurs has much worse production and a much bigger reputation. If you think Dan would not make it another PL club and is Championship level then there is nothing else to say.

jem

How does he offer more than Martial already, given that Martial has already produced a 20+ goal season for us?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Martial is ten times more talented and was our POTY last season. Get a grip. James is bang average. I'm extremely confident James is one player who won't come back to haunt us.

hobbers

If he was worth 18m after a season with Swansea he should be worth a lot more now.
Why? He's done absolutely nothing for us to justify an increase in value. We'd be extremely lucky to get 25m for him.

even at PL level he would be an automatic starter for over half the teams in the league.
Haha, no.

James played 1 season for Swansea, his debut season. I don't recall CR7 putting up amazing numbers in his first season in senior football either, it takes time to develop. I don't know that there is much else to add, you disagree with me because you say he has regressed, El Zoido disagreed with me because he says he has improved. If you want me to name a player then sure, Steven Bergwijn at Spurs has much worse production and a much bigger reputation. If you think Dan would not make it another PL club and is Championship level then there is nothing else to say.
4 goals in 35 vs 6 in 48. Not exactly 'much worse production'.

But I suppose comparing him to Bergwijn is at least a bit less insane than comparing him to Ronaldo, or even to Martial who despite all his glaring faults is still 10x more talented than James.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I think Dan James is worth 17 million maybe at max 20 million.

I hope we try to sell the lad than have that loyalty to a player that we sometimes show to players that hardly get a game for us.

Sancho’s transfer pretty much blocks his game time at United both at LW and RW.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If he could learn to look at his surroundings when dribbling instead of the ball he can be a very good winger. He's got the pace and should fit a counter attacking team.
Pretty sure his bad decisions in game were mostly due to his head looking down all the time. I mean how can you pass properly if you don't see shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.