g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Daniel James image 21

Daniel James Wales flag

2020-21 Performances

View full 2020-21 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
If he could learn to look at his surroundings when dribbling instead of the ball he can be a very good winger. He's got the pace and should fit a counter attacking team.
Pretty sure his bad decisions in game were mostly due to his head looking down all the time. I mean how can you pass properly if you don't see shit.
That is what irritates me the most.

His inability to look else where when dribbling reduces his creativity and decision making.

I wonder if that can really improve after being taught to do so or that’s a part of his natural inability as a winger.

Can you be taught to look up away from the ball whilst you dribble - or do you only do it because you need to do it?

Water Melon

His inability to look else where when dribbling reduces his creativity and decision making.

I wonder if that can really improve after being taught to do so or that’s a part of his natural inability as a winger.

Can you be taught to look up away from the ball whilst you dribble - or do you only do it because you need to do it?
Does he even dribble or is it "kick it past and run"? Dan is extremely reliant on his pure acceleration and pace, thus the tunnel vision.

rollingstoned1

There's definitely a useful player there even though i always wonder what would have happened if his move to Leeds had gone through 2 yrs ago. Bielsa looks like just the kind of education he needed at that stage. A move to us seemed like too much, too soon.

cyril C

Does he even dribble or is it "kick it past and run"? Dan is extremely reliant on his pure acceleration and pace, thus the tunnel vision.
Don't think tunnel vision is the reason. Take Wales/Turkey game, around 80th min? James had a perfect acceleration, gained the space and time, but instead of pass it forward, he took another touch and 10y or so, then pass it. Had he passed it on the 1st glance, it would have been a 10/10 winger assist, regardless of whether the other guy scored or not. No he just need another touch and run, before making a terrible pass. It was pure decision making, always making the wrong decision, consistently.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

I think it's a habit and really hard to get rid of. I'm not a footballer but I think you do need to pay attention to your surroundings without losing the ball.. I see lots of players do it. The good ones especially don't seem to have any difficulty doing it, it just looks so natural. His pace is kinda wasted if he tunnel visions.

BR7

That cross with his left foot at the end when all he had to do was play it along the ground is him in a nutshell. Plus the opposition weren’t great.
It was a similar position to Rooney’s pass to Ronaldo away at arsenal in champs league 2009, when we broke in the counter. Only Rooney put it on a plate for Ronaldo.

He has a terrible first touch for his age, championship at best and he has one foot and it isn’t that good.

he is NOT and NEVER will be a United player. Good luck wherever he goes.

Water Melon

Don't think tunnel vision is the reason. Take Wales/Turkey game, around 80th min? James had a perfect acceleration, gained the space and time, but instead of pass it forward, he took another touch and 10y or so, then pass it. Had he passed it on the 1st glance, it would have been a 10/10 winger assist, regardless of whether the other guy scored or not. No he just need another touch and run, before making a terrible pass. It was pure decision making, always making the wrong decision, consistently.
Exactly. Actually, this is what I meant as well. Dan's instinct is to kick and run to get as far from opppsition player as possible. As he has no top dribbling or ball close control skills, he hardly ever thinks of taking half a second pause to raise his head and take a glance at surroundings. Thus, the tunnel vision. In fact, there are special training devices that improve your vision and decision making, but you have got to be able to control the ball while raising your head to assess suroundings and make correct decision. James, unfortunately, does not seem to have that.

Hackman2210

That cross with his left foot at the end when all he had to do was play it along the ground is him in a nutshell. Plus the opposition weren’t great.
It was a similar position to Rooney’s pass to Ronaldo away at arsenal in champs league 2009, when we broke in the counter. Only Rooney put it on a plate for Ronaldo.

He has a terrible first touch for his age, championship at best and he has one foot and it isn’t that good.

Opposition Weren't great? - it was the Turkish national team!! As fans where do we get off judging players like this. He’s a young lad who’s had 2 tough seasons at UTD. His father recently passed he’s been in and out of a UTD team. He gives everything whilst on the pitch. We should be happy for him playing for his national team and doing himself his club and his country proud. Instead we are slagging him. Whether he is good enough for Utd or not - he’s doing his best. So why don’t you stick your negativity up your settee bound arse and just have a coke and a smile and shut the feck up. For inconsistent players - see Pogba, £90mil I believe.

Last edited:

AaronRedDevil

I hate to break it to you but....he is.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Martial is ten times more talented and was our POTY last season. Get a grip. James is bang average. I'm extremely confident James is one player who won't come back to haunt us.
James would definitely not come back to haunt us as he just doesn’t have the potential to be a starter for a top 4 team. But he is a valuable squad player who does well in big games where we play on the counter or would also do well to protect a lead (unfortunately last season there weren’t that many leads to protect for us otherwise we would have seen more of him).
But as far as Martial is concerned he could be 100 times more talented and it would still not change the fact that he was a very expensive buy on high wages who has had 2 good seasons in 6 years.
Next year is make or break for him. If he has another disappointing season than he deserves to leave the club ahead of the less talented but cheap option we have in James.
Talent is what we should be looking for but if that talent is not contributing to the success of the team then at some point it becomes useless.

Siezard

James has done very well for Utd. He's playing mainly as a late sub and he has an output of 5 goals in 26 matches as a winger. If you count based on 90 mins, he will have a goal in every 3 games which is very decent for a winger.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
James would definitely not come back to haunt us as he just doesn’t have the potential to be a starter for a top 4 team. But he is a valuable squad player who does well in big games where we play on the counter or would also do well to protect a lead (unfortunately last season there weren’t that many leads to protect for us otherwise we would have seen more of him).
But as far as Martial is concerned he could be 100 times more talented and it would still not change the fact that he was a very expensive buy on high wages who has had 2 good seasons in 6 years.
Next year is make or break for him. If he has another disappointing season than he deserves to leave the club ahead of the less talented but cheap option we have in James.
Talent is what we should be looking for but if that talent is not contributing to the success of the team then at some point it becomes useless.
He really isn't. Park as a good squad player. James for a club like United is just a player

amolbhatia50k

He really is unless you are City and can stockpile 50-60 mil bench players.
Not really. All the top clubs look for good squad options than aren't bang average and simply 'have pace'. This idea that you merely need passion and a body is rubbish. I already gave an example in Park. There are many more all around Europe at the bigger clubs. James wouldn't make the bench at any of them.

united_99

Not really. All the top clubs look for good squad options than aren't bang average and simply 'have pace'. This idea that you merely need passion and a body is rubbish. I already gave an example in Park. There are many more all around Europe at the bigger clubs. James wouldn't make the bench at any of them.
When we have a team as good as we had in 2008 who could afford playing Park then we can talk.
If James is good enough to play 90 mins each time in all of our last 3 league wins against a team like Man City, then he is definitely good enough to be a squad player for a top club.
SAF played Welbeck in top games as well who also wasn’t a top level player.
James has played very little football so far at the top. He will still improve but he already is a valuable member of the squad.

amolbhatia50k

When we have a team as good as we had in 2008 who could afford playing Park then we can talk.
If James is good enough to play 90 mins each time in all of our last 3 league wins against a team like Man City, then he is definitely good enough to be a squad player for a top club.
SAF played Welbeck in top games as well who also wasn’t a top level player.
James has played very little football so far at the top. He will still improve but he already is a valuable member of the squad.
No, we can talk now. I believe the ambition is to the reach the top. If it's not we can stop right here. But if it is, then James is not good enough as a squad option as he doesn't have the quality which is what is needed to win the PL title unless you have an unbelievably good manager which we don't. If we're judging everything by where we are, then feck it, Lindelof, Fred, and Mctominay are also of the required standard and let's just accept that we aren't interested in achieving much.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

Daniel James Wikipedia

Daniel Owen James (born 10 November 1997) is a professional footballer who plays as a winger for Premier League club Manchester United and the Wales national team.

James made his professional debut for Swansea City in February 2018, and signed for Manchester United in June 2019. He made his senior Wales debut in November 2018, having previously represented the nation at various youth levels.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
In the league James has 3 goals and 1 assist in 900 mins (15 appearances) Lots of those minutes will be sub appearances or 60 mins and getting taken off. No chance to find a rhythm or build much chemistry.

Rashford got 11 / 11 in 3000 minutes (37 matches) and he’s one of the best young players in the world according to some. Not on a different planet stats wise for minutes played. One is over rated and the other is underrated.

I’d prefer to have seen James been given more chances on the left when it was clear Rashford couldn’t work off the ball and he was gone off the boil. No chance with Ole. I hope to see a lot more rotation and fresh players next season. That was our downfall this year running the same players into the ground every match and being over reliant on them to pull it out of the bag no matter how stagnant the football was

united_99

No, we can talk now. I believe the ambition is to the reach the top. If it's not we can stop right here. But if it is, then James is not good enough as a squad option as he doesn't have the quality which is what is needed to win the PL title unless you have an unbelievably good manager which we don't. If we're judging everything by where we are, then feck it, Lindelof, Fred, and Mctominay are also of the required standard and let's just accept that we aren't interested in achieving much.
Your post doesn’t make any sense. We are discussing squad players. McT, Fred and James are definitely good enough to be on the bench. McFred are starting for us and we came 2nd in the league. So now these players wouldn’t be good enough for our bench? Hell it would be a dream to get two midfielders in who could start for us and have McFred on the bench. That‘s what most of the fans feel anyway, that these two should be rather on the bench than starting. Very few United fans want them to start but it’s not like we currently have any better options.
If Sancho comes then at least one of Rashford/Pogba/Martial/Greenwood/Sancho would be on the bench along with the likes of James and Amad. So it wouldn’t be just James. But yes, you are welcome to talk in extremes because this seems to be the only way in order to try to prove your point that James is not a valuable squad member.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Lindelöf was named Man of the Match against Spain.

united_99

In the league James has 3 goals and 1 assist in 900 mins (15 appearances) Lots of those minutes will be sub appearances or 60 mins and getting taken off. No chance to find a rhythm or build much chemistry.

Rashford got 11 / 11 in 3000 minutes (37 matches) and he’s one of the best young players in the world according to some. Not on a different planet stats wise for minutes played. One is over rated and the other is underrated.

I’d prefer to have seen James been given more chances on the left when it was clear Rashford couldn’t work off the ball and he was gone off the boil. No chance with Ole. I hope to see a lot more rotation and fresh players next season. That was our downfall this year running the same players into the ground every match and being over reliant on them to pull it out of the bag no matter how stagnant the football was
:boring: Rashford’s stats are still much better. And as usual you don’t actually double check your stats when shitting on Rashford.
In the league James played 90 mins 4x, 76 mins 2x and 88 mins 1x, so no, not as you say lot‘s of 60 mins or sub appearances. He also got a lot of time including a number of 90 mins in the Europa. So he had enough match practice.
Don’t be delusional. James is a good squad player who can start some games where we can counter attack. But he is never going to be good enough to start ahead of an even half fit Rashford, let alone a fit Rashford.

Sweet Square

:lol:

Ali Dia

:boring: Rashford’s stats are still much better. And as usual you don’t actually double check your stats when shitting on Rashford.
In the league James played 90 mins 4x, 76 mins 2x and 88 mins 1x, so no, not as you say lot‘s of 60 mins or sub appearances. He also got a lot of time including a number of 90 mins in the Europa. So he had enough match practice.
Don’t be delusional. James is a good squad player who can start some games where we can counter attack. But he is never going to be good enough to start ahead of an even half fit Rashford, let alone a fit Rashford.
He is if your name isn’t Ole. Ole doesn’t use the squad well enough. You don’t agree with that statement? You wouldn’t have taken a risk and taken half fit Rashford out at any point for a few games?

TsuWave

Dan James is a perfect 4th/5th choice winger. as long as he's happy to be that we should keep him. others have said it but you won't get a better 4th/5th choice winger for the 25m you might get for him.
His minutes could be going for up and coming/developing youngsters. In fact, I'd question the club's pipeline/youth set-up if it can't produce better than Daniel James

united_99

He is if your name isn’t Ole. Ole doesn’t use the squad well enough. You don’t agree with that statement? You wouldn’t have taken a risk and taken half fit Rashford out at any point for a few games?
I would. But bringing James on when we need a goal would be a desperate attempt. I would have risked VdB and Amad from the 70th min in the final for example as Rashford was clearly struggling, but would not have brought on James.

Ali Dia

I would. But bringing James on when we need a goal would be a desperate attempt. I would have risked VdB and Amad from the 70th min in the final for example as Rashford was clearly struggling, but would not have brought on James.
I have a feeling that Cavani could play well off James direct style. It’s just a feeling because there’s no real evidence at this point but I think he’d like the crosses and the way James gets in behind and turns teams around. James would also work the channels for him.

For the final I’d have Pogba left, VDB in the middle after his mini resurgence, Greenwood right. Then bring on hopefully a very motivated but not quite fit Rashford for the last 30mins/extra time. I think that would have made a huge difference to the outcome. You could tell Rashford wasn’t going to score if that match went on another 120 minutes. Ole is way too stubborn when it comes to Rashford and Bruno even when it’s clear to your average fan they are out of ideas and running on fumes.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!

I learnt so I’m pretty sure you can be taught.

He needs to learn that and then needs a session with Pogba or something to learn a few stepovers and shimmies so he has a trick or two when faced up against a defender.

Siezard

But James is here to challenge Mason. Mason doesn't work very hard when his position is not challenged and he has a dip in form midway through the season. Then when James scored a few goals, Mason begins to step up. So until united bought Sancho, James is still very needed.

united_99

I have a feeling that Cavani could play well off James direct style. It’s just a feeling because there’s no real evidence at this point but I think he’d like the crosses and the way James gets in behind and turns teams around. James would also work the channels for him.

For the final I’d have Pogba left, VDB in the middle after his mini resurgence, Greenwood right. Then bring on hopefully a very motivated but not quite fit Rashford for the last 30mins/extra time. I think that would have made a huge difference to the outcome. You could tell Rashford wasn’t going to score if that match went on another 120 minutes. Ole is way too stubborn when it comes to Rashford and Bruno even when it’s clear to your average fan they are out of ideas and running on fumes.
I would have actually taken Pogba and Rashford off as Pogba was not doing anything either. That’s why I said VdB & Amad on.
Fred was not fit to start and Ole doesn’t trust VdB enough to start. But he should have brought him on later.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
His minutes could be going for up and coming/developing youngsters. In fact, I'd question the club's pipeline/youth set-up if it can't produce better than Daniel James
I don't think Elanga, Mejbri or Shoretire are ready for his minutes, nor are they ready to be the guy who comes on to be a counter attacking/territory gaining outlet upfield late on while defending a lead. Dan James is. He's not amazing or anything but he does a grand job for us and seems satisfied with the role he has. The young players mentioned before that, well they will either make it or they won't.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
He puts a shift in, he's got a terrible final ball and very inconsistent but he's also a pain in the arse to defend against as he runs and runs. United is probably a level too high for the lad but he was cheap, he certainly has his uses though and not someone we should be flogging right now. But long term future suggests he'll be playing elsewhere unless he suddenly goes up a gear or two.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Your post doesn’t make any sense. We are discussing squad players. McT, Fred and James are definitely good enough to be on the bench. McFred are starting for us and we came 2nd in the league. So now these players wouldn’t be good enough for our bench? Hell it would be a dream to get two midfielders in who could start for us and have McFred on the bench. That‘s what most of the fans feel anyway, that these two should be rather on the bench than starting. Very few United fans want them to start but it’s not like we currently have any better options.
If Sancho comes then at least one of Rashford/Pogba/Martial/Greenwood/Sancho would be on the bench along with the likes of James and Amad. So it wouldn’t be just James. But yes, you are welcome to talk in extremes because this seems to be the only way in order to try to prove your point that James is not a valuable squad member.
most United fans just seem spoilt and want to create a fifa ultimate team of 22 star players it seems.

amolbhatia50k

No, it absolutely makes sense. Going by the standards you want for the club, McFred are great as starters and James is great on the bench because "we are not in 2008". With that thinking, we'll never get there again either. My take - the likes of Fred are at the level needed from squad players rather than James who isn't really good enough for this club. The likes of Palace is more his level. And let's not keep bleating on about this 2nd place finish ffs. We have to keep improving especially in our weak areas like midfield.

amolbhatia50k

most United fans just seem spoilt and want to create a fifa ultimate team of 22 star players it seems.
Comprehension is clearly not your best skill.

Fans don't rate Daniel James - "You just want 22 Messi's in the squad!"

united_99

No, it absolutely makes sense. Going by the standards you want for the club, McFred are great as starters and James is great on the bench because "we are not in 2008". With that thinking, we'll never get there again either. My take - the likes of Fred are at the level needed from squad players rather than James who isn't really good enough for this club. The likes of Palace is more his level. And let's not keep bleating on about this 2nd place finish ffs. We have to keep improving especially in our weak areas like midfield.
When did I ever say McFred are great as starters? Go and find a single post of mine which claims this. I am sure you have seen one as you seem to know about the standards I want. So find it or stop talking nonsense.
My standards which don’t mean anything would be that we should have won a couple of more trebles in our history. And a few more CLs. But as we didn’t it’s fair to say it‘s all James‘ fault.

amolbhatia50k

When did I ever say McFred are great as starters? Go and find a single post of mine which claims this. I am sure you have seen one as you seem to know about the standards I want. So find it or stop talking nonsense.
My standards which don’t mean anything would be that we should have won a couple of more trebles in our history. And a few more CLs. But as we didn’t it’s fair to say it‘s all James‘ fault.
Absolutely his fault. Or at least it will be if we think he's fine as a squad player as opposed to the likes of McFred who are actually the sort of standard we should be looking for from squad players. IMO anyway. James is a wide player who is as puny as Mata and can't dribble. He has his moments every once in awhile which is fine for a 4th place challenging team but that's not what we aspire to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.