g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Daniel James | Officially Signs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoof the ball

Right, let's have some informed opinions on here, shall we? According to Swansea fans in the sub-reddit

He might not be our best player (depends on personal preference) but he is undeniably our most exciting. He can tear any defence up with just his pace alone. Outside of his pace he can be inconsistent. He can sometimes shoot or cross and stick it exactly where it needs to be. I would say it’s probably around a 30-40% chance that this happens with the remaining % being that the ball flies away in the completely wrong direction.

I don’t mean that to slag him off or anything, as he’s still super young and is improving every game. I really do believe he would get game time at United as he seems to be hungry for success (something a lot of your players seem to be lacking at the moment)
He is a lot of good things - technical, hard working and increasingly effective - but most of all he is the quickest player I've ever seen. Two footed and capable of playing up front as well.
I don't think he's Premier League ready, very good player obviously but I feel like he has most success with smashing the ball past players and doing them for pace, not sure they will translate to the best league in the world.

Still had a long way to go development wise but could be a major star obviously.
Also, a leak of Bielsa's powerpoint made it out there and someone spotted a file relating to James on there :lol:

Devil may care

I have followed him enough to give an opinion but that sort of electric pace is quite special. That's Kanchelskis level of pace. Regarding workrate as long as he's humble enough not to try those holly wood passes or the Messiesque dribbling then he should be fine. There had been many hardworking wingers who had carved a decent career for themselves, Park, Di Livio and Fortune to mention a few.

Don't take me wrong, if we do get the guy I won't be celebrating on the streets about him. Having said that, if buying James means getting rid of Lingard, Mata or/and Sanchez then I would settle for that.
We aren't goiing to get rid of Lingard, no matter who thinks what about him, his academy status and he's English, that will shield him for years yet, I guarentee it. To me lets take out flair vs workrate and I don't really care about his speed as it's worthless without quality crossing/shooting/passing at the end of it, or skill, I don't see many kick and run players at the best clubs these days, the main thing above all else is we don't even have an acceptable starting 11 without buying second tier squad players to fill the bench where we could put our own youth.

lysglimt

Scout
Smalling didn't come from the championship. He played for Fulham in the Premier League, never played a single game outside the prem.
That is not correct - he started his career at Maidstone and played a few games there before Fulham picked him up

Tiber

My mistake
Nah. Smalling is a useful comparison. His rise to United was very rapid.

He had been playing non league football before Fulham and had only played about 10 games for Fulham when Fergie made his move.

Jezpeza

Yeah if it were a straight choice between James for £15m and modest wages and Bale I'd honestly go with a punt on the former. I've had enough of big statement signings who are past their best and/or don't want to play for United.
Theres a lot of snobbery on what league or status club a player comes from. Maddison came from championship. And Gomez. Gray at leicester too. Butland. Robertson was from the SPL and Van Djik

If you watch some championship football Theres some gems in there - godfrey and aarons look great at norwich, adams at birmingham etc etc.

If you're looking for the next generation of british talent it isn't found exclusively in the premier league. Granted, these players aren't ready to come and dominate the premier league but will only prove value as squad options and see them develop into potential world class players.

Its not like expensive shit like sanchez, darmian, mata, rojo etc etc are any more than squad options anyway.

poleglass red

I like this. I've watched him a few time now, has a real good appetite for the game. A start contrast to some of our current batch. His pace is frightening. He's definitely a player we can make better, which is what we've lost sight of over the last few yrs ie improving players. His pace would be very effective in europe. With the current batch of attacking full backs we now see, one of them loses possession and this kid is gone. Might make some of them think twice about committing going forward

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I honestly mis-read the title and thought it said you were in for David James - is De Gea's form THAT bad?

soapythecat

Does anyone else this think that he looks pretty underwhelming from the YouTube videos? Aside from pace, he looks beyond average. And YouTube videos are supposed to be the best bits.
I'm all up for signings away from the top level, big money/wages types but this is too far, surely?

RedCurry

He plays left wing from what I see. Something tells me that Martial will leave this summer and we'll sign a left winger.

dogwithabone

The biggest asset a wide player can have is pace so it’s no problem if he’s a bit of a one trick pony in this respect. Why do a dozen step overs to beat a man if you can give a defender a three yard head start, knock the ball past him and do him for sheer pace ? You can be the best defender in the world but you ain’t catching anyone if he’s got speed allied with the obvious level of technical ability.

gr3yham3

The biggest asset a wide player can have is pace so it’s no problem if he’s a bit of a one trick pony in this respect. Why do a dozen step overs to beat a man if you can give a defender a three yard head start, knock the ball past him and do him for sheer pace ? You can be the best defender in the world but you ain’t catching anyone if he’s got speed allied with the obvious level of technical ability.
This is so true. Too often I see players faffing about with stepovers and such, only to fail to beat the defender.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
This is so true. Too often I see players faffing about with stepovers and such, only to fail to beat the defender.
Agreed. You can do all the tricks and fancy ball rolls in the world, but if you've got the pace of Mata you aren't going passed anybody.

Look at Adama Traore, the guy can hardly play football but he breezes past people for fun. James looks just as quick from the videos?

UpWithRivers

looks like a wingback rather than left wing from the little Ive seen. More attacking back up option for Shaw?

Ballache

Supports
Martial
I think we’re looking at going into next season with 41212 as our main formation. We do need a plan B though and this seems like a guy that can come in against tired full backs and give us another dimension and enable us to switch to a 433 easily. We literally have no out and out wingers in the squad like him.

Lukeinchina

Agreed, look at peak Valencia for us for an example of how devastating it can be...and probably also an example of how you would hope other aspects of his game keep developing and he doesn't stay reliant on pace alone.

DSG

Why not bring him in for 15m and see if he can thrive in a high press? Pace, quickness and work rate is what is required in that system. Maybe paired with Lozano and Rashford, you’d have a lightning fast front three.

Sanche7

He plays left wing from what I see. Something tells me that Martial will leave this summer and we'll sign a left winger.
Don't think so personally. We have way too many holes to fill to sell one of our better players or a player who can improve.

I fully expect Mata, Sanchez, Pogba and Lukaku to leave, maybe DDG and Darmian too. That's on top of Valencia and Herrera. If we lose all those players, we will need a RB, GK, CM x 2,CF and a backup attacker at least - that's 6 players and most of those buys are forced with players leaving for greener pastures or players being sold because they are just not good enough. We need a top class CB and RW because we severely lack in quality there. And even if we buy all those players, we will still have Matic as our DM. In such a situation, we just can't afford to sell Martial.

We can only be certain about 4 starters (5 if you add Smalling but personally I don't think he's good enough to be a starter) - Shaw, Lindelof, Rashford and Martial, the futures of every other first team player is uncertain. It's both scary and exciting, a chance to wipe the slate clean and start anew. Hope we don't screw it up

Nick7

Agreed. You can do all the tricks and fancy ball rolls in the world, but if you've got the pace of Mata you aren't going passed anybody.

Look at Adama Traore, the guy can hardly play football but he breezes past people for fun. James looks just as quick from the videos?
If he's got better ball control, and at least a semblance of a football brain mixed with the speed of Traore he'd be a good addition.

Will Singh

A hardworking left winger, imagine Martials face when they say you will be challenging him for the LW position. In other words feck off Martial you ain't getting in the team son.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
No idea about this kid tbh so I won’t pretend I do but 15 million in today’s market for a young British talent thats highly thought of is decent business.

PGLFC91

Supports
Liverpool
Good bit of business and the type of player United need.

Young, British and most likely hungry to succeed at the top level. Definitely adds to the squad.

DavelinaJolie

If he has as much potential as touted, sign him up. Don't wait for a lower/mid table prem team to do it and pay them another £30-40 mill in two years.

peridigm

A hardworking left winger, imagine Martials face when they say you will be challenging him for the LW position. In other words feck off Martial you ain't getting in the team son.
and they take his #11 and give it to James. :lol:

Rocknrolla69er

Im not getting the negativity, are people expecting rabonas and rainbow flicks in these highlight reels?

Offers lots of Movement off the ball
Great desire to track back and defend
Link up play looked tidy
And that pace is unreal

Cant see alot not to like

Id prefer this kid to Martial if im honest, Mentality and Attitude go a long way.

gr3yham3

Quick question: will he be considered as a homegrown player if he joins? Will allow us to offload more of the deadwood if so. As someone mentioned, he will be a great option if Ole wants to play a 433 or 442 to counter-attack very quickly or take advantage of tired legs after 70 minutes or so.

Aloysius's Back 3

I think buying a left winger shows that martial is gone or more likely that Lukaku is gone whilst martial &rashford compete for the ST slot with Greenwood.

Who ever the striker is , we needed better more traditional wingers so getting one o the left for 15 mil is good business if we get a RW on top.

Suv666

All touches v Derby

He looks very raw tbh and I dont think the current Utd setup is the right place for him to get polished. Lets hope Ole can work some magic.
I dont think the this deal is happening though, just dosent make sense. We've got way too many positions to fill in the first team, why would we bother about the bench right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.