Daniel James | Officially Signs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
People still interested in this signing? The sooner this rumour dies the better! You’d think us fans would learn. He’s not going to be of any substance for us and where we need to be i don’t care how crap we are now.

If we got relegated and was trying to win promotion back to the prem I’d be all for it.
How many games have you watched him play? I'm just interested of why you sound so sure.

Loublaze

ATLien
33 games, 4 goals and 9 assists.

Not the worst stats for a 21 year old in his first professional season. Respectable at the very least.
Is that worthy of attention? If anything he should play at least another season at that level. Its been mentioned in this thread that Sessegnon at 17 managed 16 goals and 8 assists in the same league last season. If not for these United links James wouldn't be on anyone's radar with his performances this season

Mainoldo

How many games have you watched him play? I'm just interested of why you sound so sure.
Because I’m 30 years old and have watched, played and been a football fan for years. These things don’t happen he’s not coming here and making a difference to get us further up the table. People on here want him for the wrong reasons.

Denis79

Keep up, we aren’t a PL club with title ambitions
I haven't looked it up but I'm pretty sure our current form would put us in a relegation battle. We have long ways to go before we contend for the title again.

We need a rebuild and this looks like a decent transfer, price vs potential.

Loublaze

ATLien
Not long ago! There are a lot of players who weren’t considered good enough but improve
He might or might not
You're right, he might, but there's nothing special about him tbf other than electric speed.

People can improve very quickly, especially after their first year the top level.

Look at Fraser for Bournemouth, similar style player. Looked fairly average last season but he’s ballooned this year and looks very dangerous.

With the speed and ethic he has he’s got all the tools to be honed. Fergie would have loved him.
Fergie's love for speedy wingers is known. He also thought David Bellion, Bebe and Orbetan were good enough to be signed for this club. If this kid is signed I think he should be loaned back immediately with option to recall him in January.

L1nk

All the wannabe club scouts on here make me laugh.

"I've played and watched football on the telly my entire life so I can say with absolute certainty if player x or player y will be any good for us"

Like come on, seriously :lol:, I swear this forum gets more ridiculous by the day.

I don't understand people's unwillingness to take a punt on this lad, he's young and still learning his trade, he's got great qualities but yes he is raw, is he going to be the signing that takes us back to the top? Maybe not, however I'll be damn happy if the Glazers drop the 15 mill required for us to find out, if he doesn't, then no big loss, it's not like we're spending a considerable amount by today's standards, and he may just flourish yet.

You people need to just chill and actually take scope of the situation, I know slot of you want instant world class impact signings so we can challenge for the title next season, well grow up it's not happening, be realistic, and instead of slagging off Ole for lowering expectations, recognise that our club and squad are so shit right now that it's going to take multiple seasons to get anywhere near challenging.

Stop whining and be glad we are looking at this kind of signing instead of players like Bale, types of players we've been obsessed with for multiple seasons who have gotten us nowhere.

Last edited:

Champagne Football

Ryan Sessegnon might be a good comparison. Everyone thought if we bought him last summer, he'd come in and do a Gareth Bale right away. He utterly tore The Championship up last season but looked like he'd never kicked a ball in his life before in the PL.

When was the last time a British winger came from The Championship and exploded onto the scene for a top 10 PL club in their first season?

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Let’s take a chance on this kid. Not a lot of money and who knows, he’s probably better than half the wasters currently leeching cash out of the club.

MyDevil

15m is worth a gamble in this era. But from the videos, it looks like he spent most of his times on the left field.

ManRant

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Because I’m 30 years old and have watched, played and been a football fan for years. These things don’t happen he’s not coming here and making a difference to get us further up the table. People on here want him for the wrong reasons.
I'm 40, and i think this can be a good signing, if it happens.

Loublaze

ATLien
Let’s take a chance on this kid. Not a lot of money and who knows, he’s probably better than half the wasters currently leeching cash out of the club.
Hopefully he doesn't get abused by fans if he flops. Maybe you'll be forgiving if he does

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
So in other words you've likely not seen much of him. :lol:

SouthPredators4

Its all about tactics. If our players have the ball skills, movements, spacing and passing abilities in tight spaces, he is going to be very useful especially when we are 1-0 up and playing deep looking to break away. But of cos if we continue to be the static shower of shit, he is going to look useless. Its really about using players in the correct moments. People complaining about his fee and expecting a worldclass talent, needs a reality check.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
How can anyone argue he isn't worth 15 million? Best case he turns out to be peak Aaron Lennon level which is pretty damn good. Worst case, we lose some a few months of Sanchez salary worth money.

meamth

For 15m, he could be the next Gareth Bale or the next Mark Gonzalez. Whichever it is, it's worth to try.

ShaggyRogers

This deal is really a win either way. if he does well here we will keep him and develop him into a good player or if he turns out to be not so good there will be other clubs lining up to take him from us. its rather likely we will make profit off this player so i think Woody will be licking his chops at him. not to mention if he does become good another poster boy for us.

haram

What is his passing and link play like? Having the work rate to get back doesn't mean much if you cant do anything when the ball is recovered in deeper positions.

lawliet354

Very sound reasoning to judge a football player :lol:

Loublaze

ATLien
Some more Swansea forum posts, different forum from the other quotes I posted some pages back:

A young player with bags of potential, but only one championship season behind him, during which he was consistently criticized by many for a poor final ball and poor shooting ability. About to enter the final season of his contract, after which he can go for a pittance in compensation fees. £15m sounds about right to me, especially if it includes the right add ons.
That doesn't mean I don't rate him or that I want him to go, just being realistic.

I just dont see him going to Man Utd.

If they were looking for young wingers to challenge for the first team, and replace the likes of Martial who looks to be on his way, then they are more likely to go for Brooks

This is his first season. He’s great going in a straight line, with his exceptional speed, and can just play knock and go, past championship players. He has without doubt talent, but still has a lot to learn, as a wide player, as he doesn’t seem to have any “tricks” yet.
Opposition managers are already doubling up on him.
He is indeed becoming a marked man, in more than one sense of the word.
In an ideal world, Dan and his agent agree it’s in the players interest, to stay and learn his craft, from one of the most promising, up and coming young managers out there.
But Let’s not kid ourselves, There is no way in the world, the Yanks won’t sell him for the first decent offer that comes their way.
So enjoy the last few games, while he’s here

James' pace is self-evident, but what is often omitted in assessments of his ability is his tremendous balance and turn of pace. Bale obviously has tremendous pace - but owing to his size takes a few strides to get going. Not James. Take the way he burst onto the Slovakian defender for his goal - showing how blindingly fast he is over 10 yards. That's a massive commodity to have at any level of the game. He's also shown an ability to change his running angles sharply at pace, or off a standing start. In the Slovakia game he burst passed a defender on the inside from near the touchline having first completely stopped, touching the ball inside, before roasting the defender. Remarkable stuff.

The one thing missing in James' game is his decision-making, which has improved under Potter, but is still a bit hit and miss. Again we saw that in the Slovakia game - where he failed to pick out Bale in space on a couple of occasions. But the raw potential in Dan is phenomenal - and I think that should command a premium. Perhaps I'm being over-optimistic, but £20 million should be the minimum release clause in any new contract.

From Reddit:

Pros:

• Quick, fast, rapid.

• Nice lad without an ego. Look at how he got on with it after the Leeds fiasco.

• Really stretches the play wide - big for a club like you!

• He's got a good cross and a good pass, and I feel like is not far off having a good shot too.

• Big game player. He looked more than comfortable against Manchester City.
Cons:

• That shot does still need work.

• He's not as young as you might think (even though he's still young).

• He's afraid of a big tackle. Most bad games I've seen of his have involved him getting clattered early on and shying away from it (Rangel at QPR being an infamous example).
He can't play 90 minutes well. He tails off

I think he'd do well for some of the bottom clubs right off the bat, but can't imagine him staying on top 6 club the first year. Would probably get loaned out

inconsistent finishing. not the greatest shot. breaking my heart

His dribbling is fine but nothing crazy, he is more of the kind of player to put it past a defender, run around them and get it. He can put in a decent cross or a pass, bit inconsistent but he's getting better

His biggest con is probably his finishing. Sometimes he scores nice goals (Like the one against Stoke), other times he hits it well wide or over. I think a lot of wingers suffer from this, hopefully it's something he can overcome.

one thing this kid hasn't got is a third lung. He quite frequently gets gassed out in the last spell of a game before getting subbed off. I can't imagine he's actually seen many 90 minute games?

Dribbling isn't that good, I'm pretty sure he'd struggle to dribble past most Premier League fullbacks. Shooting isn't great but it's improving. Passing isn't that good. Crossing is decent though.

I don't think he's good enough for Manchester United. Well maybe as you are with your current wide options but he shouldn't be good enough for Manchester United anyway

One of the fastest players I've ever seen. Makes good runs and stretches the pitch

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Some more Swansea forum posts, different forum from the other quotes I posted some pages back:

A young player with bags of potential, but only one championship season behind him, during which he was consistently criticized by many for a poor final ball and poor shooting ability. About to enter the final season of his contract, after which he can go for a pittance in compensation fees. £15m sounds about right to me, especially if it includes the right add ons.
That doesn't mean I don't rate him or that I want him to go, just being realistic.

If they were looking for young wingers to challenge for the first team, and replace the likes of Martial who looks to be on his way, then they are more likely to go for Brooks

This is his first season. He’s great going in a straight line, with his exceptional speed, and can just play knock and go, past championship players. He has without doubt talent, but still has a lot to learn, as a wide player, as he doesn’t seem to have any “tricks” yet.
In an ideal world, Dan and his agent agree it’s in the players interest, to stay and learn his craft, from one of the most promising, up and coming young managers out there.
But Let’s not kid ourselves, There is no way in the world, the Yanks won’t sell him for the first decent offer that comes their way.

James' pace is self-evident, but what is often omitted in assessments of his ability is his tremendous balance and turn of pace. Bale obviously has tremendous pace - but owing to his size takes a few strides to get going. Not James. Take the way he burst onto the Slovakian defender for his goal - showing how blindingly fast he is over 10 yards. That's a massive commodity to have at any level of the game. He's also shown an ability to change his running angles sharply at pace, or off a standing start. In the Slovakia game he burst passed a defender on the inside from near the touchline having first completely stopped, touching the ball inside, before roasting the defender. Remarkable stuff.

The one thing missing in James' game is his decision-making, which has improved under Potter, but is still a bit hit and miss. Again we saw that in the Slovakia game - where he failed to pick out Bale in space on a couple of occasions. But the raw potential in Dan is phenomenal - and I think that should command a premium. Perhaps I'm being over-optimistic, but £20 million should be the minimum release clause in any new contract.

From Reddit:

Pros:

• Quick, fast, rapid.

• Nice lad without an ego. Look at how he got on with it after the Leeds fiasco.

• He's got a good cross and a good pass, and I feel like is not far off having a good shot too.

Cons:

• He's afraid of a big tackle. Most bad games I've seen of his have involved him getting clattered early on and shying away from it (Rangel at QPR being an infamous example).

I think he'd do well for some of the bottom clubs right off the bat, but can't imagine him staying on top 6 club the first year. Would probably get loaned out

His dribbling is fine but nothing crazy, he is more of the kind of player to put it past a defender, run around them and get it. He can put in a decent cross or a pass, bit inconsistent but he's getting better

His biggest con is probably his finishing. Sometimes he scores nice goals (Like the one against Stoke), other times he hits it well wide or over. I think a lot of wingers suffer from this, hopefully it's something he can overcome.

one thing this kid hasn't got is a third lung. He quite frequently gets gassed out in the last spell of a game before getting subbed off. I can't imagine he's actually seen many 90 minute games?

Dribbling isn't that good, I'm pretty sure he'd struggle to dribble past most Premier League fullbacks. Shooting isn't great but it's improving. Passing isn't that good. Crossing is decent though.

I don't think he's good enough for Manchester United. Well maybe as you are with your current wide options but he shouldn't be good enough for Manchester United anyway

One of the fastest players I've ever seen. Makes good runs and stretches the pitch
Oh well... we'll be off to the Sancho thread then.

minh_loc_xoay

From Reddit:

Pros:

• Quick, fast, rapid.

Cons:

Abort mission. I repeat, abort!
Retreat back to the Sancho thread, men!

Bestietom

Really only seen him play a couple of games with Wales. He is speedy and has good ball control but I don't know much about him so I cannot debate with anyone.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

From Reddit:

Pros:

• Quick, fast, rapid.

Cons:

Dribbling not good. Gets exhausted and can't last 90 mins. Doesn't sound great tbh.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Dribbling not good. Gets exhausted and can't last 90 mins. Doesn't sound great tbh.
Shame you hit peak stamina at 21, eh! He runs full pelt constantly from what I've seen, no wonder. Also, Salah scored a good majority of his goals from kicking it into space to run on to. I don't really see that as a negative trait?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Shame you hit peak stamina at 21, eh! He runs full pelt constantly from what I've seen, no wonder. Also, Salah scored a good majority of his goals from kicking it into space to run on to. I don't really see that as a negative trait?
If that's the case then why James's scoring stats is a bit shit. That despite he's playing in a league that made Sessegnon look like Messi.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
If that's the case then why James's scoring stats is a bit shit. That despite he's playing in a league that made Sessegnon look like Messi.
Well that's blatantly not true. Did you watch him at Fulham? Yes, he scored 15 and 8 assists, but he played in a very attacking team that was pushing for promotion. Swansea is not the same.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I felt this is pretty much a no risk transfer given the pittence were shelling out. But nonetheless if I see comments about him being average I'll remark on that. And no, Salah is technically superb. He may have scored some goals through sheer pace alone but without his other qualities he would be at a mid table club.

As things stand knowing nothing about this kid, I'm still optimistic with a 15 million pound signing who gives us elite pace and good work rate.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I felt this is pretty much a no risk transfer given the pittence were shelling out. But nonetheless if I see comments about him being average I'll remark on that. And no, Salah is technically superb. He may have scored some goals through sheer pace alone but without his other qualities he would be at a mid table club.

As things stand knowing nothing about this kid, I'm still optimistic with a 15 million pound signing who gives us elite pace and good work rate.
Yeah I get it, I just think it's a weird comment from the fans, when they watch him sprint constantly over reasonably long distances for a football match - it's quite natural he would trail off at the end of a game. That's all Salah was at 21 though. Those added qualities/consistency only really became evident at Fiorentina/Roma.

Yeah I don't think we're really disagreeing tbh, I just found some of the Swansea fans comments strange.

GazTheLegend

you’d say the same shit about the two full backs Liverpool bought last summer, or Bale when spurs got him from Southampton back in 2007 then I suppose

You have absolutely no idea how this is going to work out if it even happens, just like everyone else. There’s no telling if a player can step up to another level until you see them in action.

starman

He wasn't signed by a PL club with title ambitions but his numbers at Fleetwood were good. This kid is 21 with less than impressive numbers and some Swansea fans considered him league 2 standard not long ago
Kane wasn't exactly pulling up trees in the championship,

Some United fans considered Zaha no more than a championship player when we signed him.

If you don't think he is good enough, fair enough but other fans opinions should be used as a pitch of salt and never above your own

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Some hilarious stuff on here.

From those labelling £15m a "pittance" to those writing him off(without having seen him play) as they've watched and played football.

Bloomin nora

Mainoldo

you’d say the same shit about the two full backs Liverpool bought last summer, or Bale when spurs got him from Southampton back in 2007 then I suppose

You have absolutely no idea how this is going to work out if it even happens, just like everyone else. There’s no telling if a player can step up to another level until you see them in action.
Yes because every football player is the same! Every 16 year old striker from Brazil is Ronaldo and every midget playing for Boca from Buenos Aires is Messi.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Players are doubling up on him! Well I never.

Pity we'd only have him on the pitch

Status
Not open for further replies.