Daniel James | Officially Signs

Status
Not open for further replies.

0le

Absolutely delighted we are signing a winger. Hopefully it works out. I don't care that he predominantly plays on the left. I think people forget that Martial, Sanchez and Rashford are not wingers either. Hopefully this is the start of a lot more business!

Paul_Scholes18

Hasn't it been reported at £15m + reported £3m add ons for an eternity now?
Given that it is Woodward doing the negociations the sum will probably go up more.

I don't expect this guy to be that great at least not in the next 1-2 years although who knows in the future. He has one season in championship with 4 goals and didn't play in the Premier league before that. Do not look like he is going to make a quick impact. Given how bad we are at improving talents like Martial and Rashford I doubt we are going to turn him into a world beater on our bench and if he start he is not going to be better than Lingard so he is going to be slated.

If we loan him out it might work if he got the right talent, but that is not going to help us next season. I will say I don't know about his potential talent that much, but his stats are not great and our cheap buys after SAF have often been crap. Hopefully Ole got a great eye for talent and can see his goalscoring improving in the future with the right management. We need a right winger to start though and if this guy is our right wing answer next season I can't see it being good enough. With that said my understanding of this guy is limited so seeing him on the tour can be fun.

0le

Given that it is Woodward doing the negociations the sum will probably go up more.

I don't expect this guy to be that great at least not in the next 1-2 years although who knows in the future. He has one season in championship with 4 goals and didn't play in the Premier league before that. Do not look like he is going to make a quick impact. Given how bad we are at improving talents like Martial and Rashford I doubt we are going to turn him into a world beater on our bench and if he start he is not going to be better than Lingard so he is going to be slated.

If we loan him out it might work if he got the right talent, but that is not going to help us next season. I will say I don't know about his potential talent that much, but his stats are not great and our cheap buys after SAF have often been crap. Hopefully Ole got a great eye for talent and can see his goalscoring improving in the future with the right management. We need a right winger to start though and if this guy is our right wing answer next season I can't see it being good enough. With that said my understanding of this guy is limited so seeing him on the tour can be fun.
Fergie made plenty of crap cheap buys too like Bebe, Henriquez, Buttner, Miller and Djemba Djemba etc. You are right, there is some risk, but a positive way to look at it instead is that we've potentially got a very good player for a small fee.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
No he isn’t. Very good player of course though.
Sorry mate, but he is. Obviously not as much as someone like Salah but his shooting, dribbling, passing etc. is all pretty technically impressive.

Halal Jalal

Just wanted to thank you for positivity in this thread. Personally I'm hugely disappointed that our first summer signing is a nobody with completely average stats in Championship (and not a particulary cheap purchase either), but after reading the comments here I have some hope it might turn out well.

Still, we shouldn't expect PP to be very impressed by such transfer and should work hard to secure a high profile arrival soon to convince PP to stay.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
If this guy had gone to Leicester or spurs or somewhere like that then we’d be clamoring to sign him when his fee has tripled.

This is a cheap punt which if it doesn’t work out, we can still get some if not all of our money back on.

He was 1 my 2 cheap punts that I wished for before we were linked to him, the other is Godfrey but doubt Norwich will sell him just after promotion so let’s keep our eye on him next season

Welcome Daniel James! Can’t wait to see you tearing down the wings!

Paul_Scholes18

Fergie made plenty of crap cheap buys too like Bebe, Henriquez, Buttner, Miller and Djemba Djemba etc. You are right, there is some risk, but a positive way to look at it instead is that we've potentially got a very good player for a small fee.
Yeah I don't know enough about him to judge him now. Just spending 15 M on a player scoring 4 goals in the championship to improve our attack doesn't really impress me thinking about it. He played well against City I think based on my memories from that game, but have not watched much more of him. I know he is young and that he can certainly improve a lot in the future. Just with our record of improving young players recently I am not sure. He might have the right mentality though to push himself higher unlike Martial. We don't need another Lingard in attack that moves around well, works hard with little end product. He might be tactically smarter/mentally stronger than our guys though and that could help us.

Hopefully Ole see something here that others do not see and that we can see more player improvement in the future.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Just wanted to thank you for positivity in this thread. Personally I'm hugely disappointed that our first summer signing is a nobody with completely average stats in Championship (and not a particulary cheap purchase either), but after reading the comments here I have some hope it might turn out well.

Still, we shouldn't expect PP to be very impressed by such transfer and should work hard to secure a high profile arrival soon to convince PP to stay.
The fact we can most likely recoup most of what we're paying now means we cannot really lose on this, even though it's a gamble whether he becomes good enough or not.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
That's a big part of what football is though, optimism. For 99% of teams around the world, they aren't guaranteed or even favourites to win anything. You have to treat it optimistically or you're just going to be really frustrated.

I can leave a match really disgruntled but, for the most part it's forgotten by the time of the next kick off and it's back to hoping for a win and a good performance. It will be like that for a vast majority of clubs and fans.

If fans weren't optimistic, clubs like Barnsley wouldn't have any fans. You hope the next match or season is better and brings more success than the last, even if you haven't achieved much for years.

Liverpool fans have been laughed at for 'next year is our year' but the alternative is to be miserable and at that point, why bother?

I think we're at a fairly exciting time. We've a lot to do and build but it's part of what makes it exciting. If I knew we were going to win the league next year with an all star 11, what's the point?

Maybe I'm naive, I've been fortunate to grow up during a time of ridiculous success for a club I've chosen to support. Whilst that's brilliant, the smooth comes with the rough and I'm personally looking forward to how we go about rebuilding and when we get back to the top, it will feel all the more fantastic.

You're not wrong if you're pessimistic, I'm not saying that but on the flip side, optimism isn't a terrible thing.
This right here may just be the post of the year...

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Absolutely delighted we are signing a winger. Hopefully it works out. I don't care that he predominantly plays on the left. I think people forget that Martial, Sanchez and Rashford are not wingers either. Hopefully this is the start of a lot more business!
Just because he plays on the left doesn't mean he can't play on the right. Personally, I would rather see us use right footed right wingers and left footed left wingers. Plus they can always switch sides through out the game just like CR7 and Giggs used to do...

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I can't believe we're spending £75m and giving out £500k per week in wages for an unproven 12 year old championship player.

NJM78

I will assume you're serious for the benefit of anyone who doesn't know.

He had the talent of the world, was gonna be the next Scholes as ferguson firmly believed. But he was an introvert and came across as snobby and arrogant. Things didn't work out.

Can anyone tell us what kind of mentality James has?
Sorry, yes I know who he is.

Not sure about this James, I have only known about him since our link to him. I guess Giggs has given Ole the details about his personality also prior to us buying him.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Longevity, ambition and some talent. Pretty much exactly what Ole's preaching to the media from April.

He's here to shake the unbalanced winger department and add some fresh energy. I hope his presence will push others to work harder.

Canagel

So our first signing is done. Will be interesting to see him in action. Good luck to him.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Bantz bible: HAHAHAHA, Man Utd have spent £30 MILLION on a Championship player (laughing with tears emoji)
Daily Mail: Why Daniel James signing is a sign of desperation
BBC: The EYE WATERING transfer fees AND Wages spent on a CHAMPIONSHIP player
Graeme Souness: Instead of overpaying for Championship players, Man Utd should be promoting youth just like Man City do
:lol::lol: So true. :rolleyes:

Paul_Scholes18

Having watched his highlights he looks pretty quick with good dribbling. For a counter attacking style he might work well, but is that how we are going to mostly play? We had Zaha with similar skills and he was not good enough. I like his physical potential though.
Moves a bit like a Bale, Di maria hybrid in my opinion and we need a winger with a left foot.

His goalscoring is mainly easy goals though so I wonder what his potential is in that area. Also do not look very creative for breaking teams down. Hopefully he can improve in these areas with better management around him. My problem is that I am not sure we are that club right now .

lsd

The Oracle
Delighted with this looks exactly the kind of player we need talented can play both wings and clearly on the up .

The kind of player that if we didn't buy now posters would be moaning in a couple of years we should have signed him when he was cheap

Gandalf

I will assume you're serious for the benefit of anyone who doesn't know.

He had the talent of the world, was gonna be the next Scholes as ferguson firmly believed. But he was an introvert and came across as snobby and arrogant. Things didn't work out.

Can anyone tell us what kind of mentality James has?
There are a couple of YouTube videos from Swansea including a quick Q&A and a pretty nice story about his fiancée surprising him with a new puppy. Not sure they tell you much about his mentality but he seems very down to earth and likeable and clearly loves puppies like a fat kid loves burgers.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Having watched his highlights he looks pretty quick with good dribbling. For a counter attacking style he might work well, but is that how we are going to mostly play? We had Zaha with similar skills and he was not good enough. I like his physical potential though.

His goalscoring is mainly easy goals too so I wonder what his potential is in that area. Also do not look very creative for breaking teams down. Hopefully he can improve in these areas with better management around him. My problem is that I am not sure we are that club right now .
I don't think he'll be the only winger signed, perhaps United is not exactly the right club at this present moment because Ole just started building his own setup of players, but after this window we should have clearer view of what's really going on and how we'll play.

reddevil80

He has shown early promise at swansea and I think he could make the starting line up once his fitness and stamina is proven. Also, I think he coild get some practice time with the new dutch wonderkid we bought too and they could get an understanding going over the next few seasons. He doesn't appear to be as greedy as the likes of Martial or Lingard and I think that is what we desperately need. Talented players who will give their all for the team, not just themselves.

Paul_Scholes18

I don't think he'll be the only winger signed, perhaps United is not exactly the right club at this present moment because Ole just started building his own setup of players, but after this window we should have clearer view of what's really going on and how we'll play.
Yeah we need attacking players though so hard to complain. He certainly have physical qualities just watching the highlights and if he got the mental and tactical sides he could be good even if he is not a goal machine.

Andersons Dietician

I mean this doesn’t really get my inner muppets juices flowing as when there was talk of young and talented I was thinking more along the likes of you Sancho’s, Havertz, Bissaka’s, Barella’s, DeLigts, Aours and Ndombee’s and the likes but if this kid can come in and be a decent back up then fair play to him. Anything that means I don’t have to watch Lingard try to football anymore.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Sorry mate, but he is. Obviously not as much as someone like Salah but his shooting, dribbling, passing etc. is all pretty technically impressive.
And Salah himself isn’t as good technically as Hazard, who himself isn’t as good as Messi. Mané’s strength, or what makes him a player who operates to the level he does, is not down to brilliant technical ability. With Hazard, it is clearly down to his technical ability and ball manipulation. Even though he also has physical gifts. With Mané, it’s the other way round. He’s no Lukaku or anything, but to me it’s clear that his more exceptional qualities are physical as opposed to technical. Technically, he has enough to get by and still be a top player. He’s not even as good as say Anthony Martial in that regard, in my opinion, although obviously a better player.

Red_toad

Moves a bit like a Bale, Di maria hybrid in my opinion and we need a winger with a left foot.

His goalscoring is mainly easy goals though so I wonder what his potential is in that area. Also do not look very creative for breaking teams down. Hopefully he can improve in these areas with better management around him. My problem is that I am not sure we are that club right now .
Pretty quick? He’s feckin rapid!

Owen06

And Salah himself isn’t as good technically as Hazard, who himself isn’t as good as Messi. Mané’s strength, or what makes him a player who operates to the level he does, is not down to brilliant technical ability. With Hazard, it is clearly down to his technical ability and ball manipulation. Even though he also has physical gifts. With Mané, it’s the other way round. He’s no Lukaku or anything, but to me it’s clear that his more exceptional qualities are physical as opposed to technical. Technically, he has enough to get by and still be a top player. He’s not even as good as say Anthony Martial in that regard, in my opinion, although obviously a better player.
A better player than who?

Status
Not open for further replies.