Daniel James | Officially Signs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
A better player than who?
A better player than who I said he was a better player than - Anthony Martial. I think Mané is better than him despite Martial being technically better.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Seems like a triple signing of De Ligt, Wan-Bissaka and James for next week then lads :drool:

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Yedlin was rapid, but he never took of in the premier league. I hope this kid, has more in his locker than his pace. Against teams that park the bus, I feel that he will be useless. I hope he proves me wrong.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
James can improve and it’s a good signing hopefully for the future.

But people are also correct in saying we need to sign players who will get in our first team. James should be our only squad player type signing this summer. The rest should be players that we expect to walk in our first team.
This.

Owen06

A better player than who I said he was a better player than - Anthony Martial. I think Mané is better than him despite Martial being technically better.
Ok, they'll both be playing in the same team so we'll see.

SCJY

Make him a permanent fixture on the left this season, mixing it up with Sanchez (if he doesn't go) and give martial the Number 9 shirt. (Lukaku can play play in the reserves)

SCJY

I am all for this signing and I think we should make 1-2 signing like this every season but I really hope James has something more than pace only otherwise he will really struggle against teams that play deep, like most of the teams do against us (or at least did when we were relevant).
Yes, I totally agree. We need to be taking advantage of every transfer window. Taking a couple of punts on hot prospects from the championship should be the least we do. Let the scouts do their job and bring them in... They might take their chance, they might not. This type of player could be moved on after a season without much risk at all. Bottom line, United need to much more active in the transfer market. Players in, players out. At least for the next 3 years while the rebuilding process is happening.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
And Salah himself isn’t as good technically as Hazard, who himself isn’t as good as Messi. Mané’s strength, or what makes him a player who operates to the level he does, is not down to brilliant technical ability. With Hazard, it is clearly down to his technical ability and ball manipulation. Even though he also has physical gifts. With Mané, it’s the other way round. He’s no Lukaku or anything, but to me it’s clear that his more exceptional qualities are physical as opposed to technical. Technically, he has enough to get by and still be a top player. He’s not even as good as say Anthony Martial in that regard, in my opinion, although obviously a better player.
But hold on, you never said that his main game isn't being technical especially in comparison to other players. You just straight up said that Mané isn't very technical. Which isn't true, because his technique in most cases is very, very good.

Anyway, lets shut up about Mané in a thread about James.

King_Cantona07

Having watched his highlights he looks pretty quick with good dribbling. For a counter attacking style he might work well, but is that how we are going to mostly play? We had Zaha with similar skills and he was not good enough. I like his physical potential though.
Moves a bit like a Bale, Di maria hybrid in my opinion and we need a winger with a left foot.

His goalscoring is mainly easy goals though so I wonder what his potential is in that area. Also do not look very creative for breaking teams down. Hopefully he can improve in these areas with better management around him. My problem is that I am not sure we are that club right now .
one of the reason why our team is not effective is not having anyone other than rashford to provide off the ball attacking runs, mata etc even if he is running can be caught up. Hence its easy to defend by doubling up on Rashford, putting this guy in will push defenders 2 yards back fearing his speed and that should open up space for other players. May also see Martial getting bit more space to run when eventually ball reaches him, Martial still lacks off the ball movement for a top player.

Anustart89

Pogba over the top to James could be a lethal combination against teams playing a high line.

Cathy Ferguson

A low risk signing. If he does not make it here we can recoup most money when we sell him on. I am happy that we sign a pacy winger, hopefully we can develop him into a classy player.

manunited1919

Fergie made plenty of crap cheap buys too like Bebe, Henriquez, Buttner, Miller and Djemba Djemba etc. You are right, there is some risk, but a positive way to look at it instead is that we've potentially got a very good player for a small fee.
Who benefits from it being a small fee besides the Glazers?

manunited1919

Given that it is Woodward doing the negociations the sum will probably go up more.

I don't expect this guy to be that great at least not in the next 1-2 years although who knows in the future. He has one season in championship with 4 goals and didn't play in the Premier league before that. Do not look like he is going to make a quick impact. Given how bad we are at improving talents like Martial and Rashford I doubt we are going to turn him into a world beater on our bench and if he start he is not going to be better than Lingard so he is going to be slated.

If we loan him out it might work if he got the right talent, but that is not going to help us next season. I will say I don't know about his potential talent that much, but his stats are not great and our cheap buys after SAF have often been crap. Hopefully Ole got a great eye for talent and can see his goalscoring improving in the future with the right management. We need a right winger to start though and if this guy is our right wing answer next season I can't see it being good enough. With that said my understanding of this guy is limited so seeing him on the tour can be fun.
I wish the CAF had an applause icon. Your post is very sensible and realistic.

SCJY

**YOUTUBE VIDEO**
Probably been posted before, but this is one of the better compilations of him. Looks electric. Played some games at RW too which is good to see. Can put in decent crosses and is right footed. Good buy as we lack depth and pace on the right
Great video. I feckin love this type of signing. Unproven, untested, but bags of potential and light on the pocket book. This signing is showing a ton of shrewdness from Ole... If he can continue to demonstrate such shrewdness the rest of this transfer window, and get them integrated well into the team, I can see Ole doing very well.

manunited1919

A low risk signing. If he does not make it here we can recoup most money when we sell him on. I am happy that we sign a pacy winger, hopefully we can develop him into a classy player.
Low risk? If you make 5 signings of this level, chances are you get 3 Bebes and 2 Powells. So you are able to move them on at a small loss, but overall you will still have a large loss.

Small risk is a better description.

thomas porter

I will be a huge fan of this signing for multiple reasons:

-It addresses a need position for us on the wing
-James has tons of pace and also some great combination play capabilities that hopefully will sink well with Shaw or new rb?
-We are buying a player with a lot of upside potential without paying a crazy fee.

I'll be very happy with this piece of business and hope its the beginning of a host of young, hungry new signings that are ready to be part of the rebuild.

Last edited by a moderator:

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
He's quicker than Zaha i reckon. Hopefully his dribbling is comparable and improves
It will be interesting during pre-season training and when they start to measure each player's speed.

James v TF-M would be a cracker.

Drifter

American
Well he's lightning quick. And with Rashford upfront could be the cutting edge we need up front.

MadMike

Low risk? If you make 5 signings of this level, chances are you get 3 Bebes and 2 Powells. So you are able to move them on at a small loss, but overall you will still have a large loss.

Small risk is a better description.
Not low risk, but small risk. Okay Cpt. Pedant

SCJY

I'm just glad we finally got a James, not the one I really wanted (Rodriguez)... but a James nonetheless.

MadMike

He's quicker than Zaha i reckon. Hopefully his dribbling is comparable and improves
Zaha is a pretty tall and muscular fella who takes the fight to the CBs with some excellent hold-up play. He's lethal around the box too. More of a forward than a winger these days. He's not a speed merchant by any stretch of the imagination.

I don't see the comparison with James in any way. They play in similar positions but quite different players. I'd be happy if James turns out as good as Zaha turned out to be. Ecstaticf he gets even better than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.