Danny Welbeck

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Amusing that this cnut thought he could do better than a squad role at Manchester United, with his major injury problems and total lack of finishing ability.

Walters_19_MuFc

Yes, he was great. But he does need to move on from Arsenal next year. It will be interesting to see where he ends up. Always time for our past players.
Same here. Can never bring myself to be so disrespectful towards a past player like some on here do, especially one of our very own.

I do agree that he needs a move, though. With Aubamayang and Lacazette, he's going to find it extremely hard to get games as a forward.

If he wants to play up top, then, as you said, he does need to move on. That said, I do think he's better as a wide forward or second striker.

Oscie

Don't understand the animosity. He left to get first team football and because he thought it'd benefit his career to move away. You have to respect that as it shows balls especially for someone who was probably as close to the footballing definition of institutionalised in all things Manchester United given his upbringing in the game. As with many of our academy players over the last decade or so there's often something rather patronising about the support they get when here.

As fans we tend to like the idea of academy players to the point where how good they are doesn't seem to matter, we have to be front and centre lauding them as if being seen to champion a home-grown talent is primary and the actual performance irrelevant. Countless times I'd argue with mates who insisted Tom Cleverley would 'come good', or Welbeck 'just needed games' or Richardson could be the next Giggs if only Fergie believed in him. They just have to leave before our fans are honest about what they see.

Varun

Staff
Amusing that this cnut thought he could do better than a squad role at Manchester United, with his major injury problems and total lack of finishing ability.
Amusing is you calling the guy a cnut for thinking he could do more with his career. How dare he!

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
I'd love to keep him on as a squad player. Always industrious, never hides from the ball. His goals are less technique and more sheer force of character. He literally throws his body at the ball and it goes in the net after ricocheting off some part of it.

Web of Bissaka

Yes, he was great. But he does need to move on from Arsenal next year. It will be interesting to see where he ends up. Always time for our past players.
Would like to see that happening. It's always nice to see past Manchester United players playing more frequently in other clubs, and especially when we encounter them in any games, eg. Rooney at Everton, Wes Brown at the bench of some small club and Clev at Watford, all against us.

Revaulx

Amusing is you calling the guy a cnut for thinking he could do more with his career. How dare he!
Well I’d have just called him an idiot for insisting his best position was one where he displayed a significant weakness. His celebration when he scored against us was a bit excessive but hardly at Tevez levels of cnutishness.

While I was rather sorry to see him go, I did find the wailing and gnashing of teeth from some on here bizarre.

The current level of bitterness against him is completely OTT though. Maybe the latter is a reaction against the former.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Yeah imagine a footballer wanting to show ambition and not satisfied with a squad role. Travesty!

Varun

Staff
Well I’d have just called him an idiot for insisting his best position was one where he displayed a significant weakness. His celebration when he scored against us was a bit excessive but hardly at Tevez levels of cnutishness.

While I was rather sorry to see him go, I did find the wailing and gnashing of teeth from some on here bizarre.

The current level of bitterness against him is completely OTT though. Maybe the latter is a reaction against the former.
I didn't care when he left and I dont have much time for him now either. Its just borderline stupid to call the guy a cnut for believing he could do more.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Don't understand the animosity. He left to get first team football and because he thought it'd benefit his career to move away. You have to respect that as it shows balls especially for someone who was probably as close to the footballing definition of institutionalised in all things Manchester United given his upbringing in the game. As with many of our academy players over the last decade or so there's often something rather patronising about the support they get when here.

As fans we tend to like the idea of academy players to the point where how good they are doesn't seem to matter, we have to be front and centre lauding them as if being seen to champion a home-grown talent is primary and the actual performance irrelevant. Countless times I'd argue with mates who insisted Tom Cleverley would 'come good', or Welbeck 'just needed games' or Richardson could be the next Giggs if only Fergie believed in him. They just have to leave before our fans are honest about what they see.
This.

Welbeck was never good enough for United 1st Team

Web of Bissaka

I don't get the excessive hostility towards him either. It's not like he did a Tevez against us when and after he's leaving. Probably it has to do with Welbeck's reactions (if the many reports are authentic) when he's not playing in his preferred position and role of being the main man, striker that leads the line, and playing many games on the left wing. It's fine for me that he wants to play more, that's normal, and have the desire to be the main man, to a point of wanting to move elsewhere. But the thing is, for a top team like us, he's just not good enough, squad player at best. He tried it at Arsenal, and similarly still more of a squad player, but did get more of his wishes granted - more games and playing as a striker/left forward.

The discussions about our academy players have always been so interesting. Thing is, it's the United way to play and promote our homegrown young players, so the hope for that there is influential. In general, we tend to get very excited with our academy players and at times many tend over rated them too early <- I'm sure it's not just us. That aside, not all of our academy players are rated, some are given huge doubts and harsh criticism but then suddenly turn out to be the one that "makes it", perhaps Darren Fletcher is the best example of this. Anyway, Clev was that good before his big injury which then after that he's very disappointing and should've left earlier since he tend to play as a passenger, Welbeck have too many mismatch weaknesses as a striker (finishing and composure mainly) so I just couldn't see what he can bring to our starting 11 (often always good effort though, willing runner and good link-up plays), and never rated Richardson (can't see anything special about him other than tbf his fighting-grit style of play) SAF let him go that early and easily too.

Himannv

The problem I have with Welbeck is his celebration when he scored against us. I understand that he wants to show us that he was good enough for us and hit back at his critics or something like that. I just expect a bit more respect from a former player who spent so many years here, especially one who is pretty much a Manchester lad and as homegrown as it gets.

Oldyella

The problem I have with Welbeck is his celebration when he scored against us. I understand that he wants to show us that he was good enough for us and hit back at his critics or something like that. I just expect a bit more respect from a former player who spent so many years here, especially one who is pretty much a Manchester lad and as homegrown as it gets.
Nah. Rather that than the fake respect players try and show. Give me an Adebayor charging towards the opposite away end fans any day of the week!

Web of Bissaka

Ah yes, that celebration. Fair enough why many would have problems with him for that. I don't find it insulting enough though, and it's a lot more genuine than the often sincere-suspect respect celebration.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Wasn't he applauded off first game back after that goal?

Bobski

Wasn't Welbeck starting and scoring regularly for England at the time he left Utd? I remember a story where apparently LVG had told him he would be behind James Wilson for a place as a striker. In that scenario he made absolutely the right decision for his career, unfortunately he has had 3 serious, and a number of minor, injuries since the move.

Did not mind his celebration in the FA Cup at all, huge goal for him and his club, hate these ostentatious displays of humbleness and modesty that some former players feel obliged to perform when returning to previous clubs. One of those footballing fashions that needs to die.

Kag

He was told by Van Gaal that he wouldn't have a squad role and would be behind James Wilson as fifth choice striker. That's why this cnut left.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
No different to Hernandez really who's career has also gone down the pan since he left.

Bench warming at Leverkusen and now West Ham.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Didn't he have a good season and a half at Leverkusen?

I agree his career has not gone quite as well as he would have liked. I'm a fan though. He's a great lad.
15-16. Hardly started at Real Madrid.

16-17. Did score goals at Leverkusen first half of the season but they plumetted after xmas. Scored one goal from February onwards as they just avoided relegation.

17-18- Same thing is happening at West Ham.

At 29 I doubt he expected to be play for clubs annually fighting relegation.

marktan

Was just watching back for the first time the highlights for the 2nd leg game at home against Real in the CL 2012/13, and it surprised me that Welbeck had the ball in the box a good 4-5 times but did nothing with it. Funny because I remember Welbeck in the first leg and thought he was really good, aside from the goal he worked really hard.

But then he hasn't really changed much, has good build-up play, works hard, but doesn't look natural in the box. It's a shame because there's a good footballer there but he just doesn't really suit the striker role, e.g. we'd look nowhere near as good this season if we had Welbeck up front instead of Lukaku. I always thought he'd have been a good squad player to keep around but seeing as he hasn't improved at all since leaving I'm content that he's no longer here as players like Martial and Rashford have more about them technically.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Welbeck is just this decade's version of Heskey. Can be a handful for defences but you wouldn't trust him at all to finish a one-on-one at a crucial moment in a game.

Injuries haven't helped him at Arsenal. In each of his three years there have been periods of good form and then he gets an injury that keeps him out for five months so rhythm is lost.

End of the day though he's a player who came through at Man. United, loved the club, played his part in title wins and obviously had to move for the sake of his career when Van Gaal didn't rate him and Arsenal was obviously an excellent option.

As a neutral I'm baffled why he gets so much stick on this forum and yet saint Hernandez barely has anything said about him despite not even getting a game for an awful West Ham.

If there's a career just drifting nowhere it's Hernandez.

(O.k I'm still a little bitter from the November 2012 game when he scored that 15 minute hat-trick!)

RedRover

Whilst I liked him, but never really thought he was good enough for where United wanted to be, he’s just one of a number of players who’ve gone to Arsenal and haven’t kicked on.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Welbeck is just this decade's version of Heskey. Can be a handful for defences but you wouldn't trust him at all to finish a one-on-one at a crucial moment in a game.

Injuries haven't helped him at Arsenal. In each of his three years there have been periods of good form and then he gets an injury that keeps him out for five months so rhythm is lost.

End of the day though he's a player who came through at Man. United, loved the club, played his part in title wins and obviously had to move for the sake of his career when Van Gaal didn't rate him and Arsenal was obviously an excellent option.

As a neutral I'm baffled why he gets so much stick on this forum and yet saint Hernandez barely has anything said about him despite not even getting a game for an awful West Ham.

If there's a career just drifting nowhere it's Hernandez.

(O.k I'm still a little bitter from the November 2012 game when he scored that 15 minute hat-trick!)
I don't have any real feeling towards Welbeck either way, but I'd guess it's because he's a United lad, yet he felt he could do better than being a squad player here (even though he was playing a great deal of football under David Moyes before he left, and it seemed that LvG did actually rate him in the pre-season before he went, but perhaps not as a concrete starter). He's also celebrated emphatically when scoring against us, which will certainly rub some up the wrong way.

Hernandez not being a local lad, not scoring and celebrating against us, and leaving because he was forced out rather than thinking he could do better than what he had here means he gets a bit more positivity. If he knocks us out of a cup and starts pumping his fist like mad on our own patch, attitudes towards him might start to turn.

Oldyella

Wasn't Welbeck starting and scoring regularly for England at the time he left Utd? I remember a story where apparently LVG had told him he would be behind James Wilson for a place as a striker. In that scenario he made absolutely the right decision for his career, unfortunately he has had 3 serious, and a number of minor, injuries since the move.

Did not mind his celebration in the FA Cup at all, huge goal for him and his club, hate these ostentatious displays of humbleness and modesty that some former players feel obliged to perform when returning to previous clubs. One of those footballing fashions that needs to die.
Not sure about scoring regularly but England actually looked quite exciting at the time with Welbeck wide left and Sturridge right, of course both were apparently made of glass. Shame, play Kane between them as they were playing at the time and England might have actually been worth watching.

engulfing

Was absolutely delighted he was sold. No where near top 6 quality and have no idea what Wenger sees in him. Academy made a mistake developing him into a forward. Could probably have been better moulded into a full back or center back.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Welbeck hardly went apesh*t when he scored in that cup tie, he ran a bit, all the Arsenal players jumped on him and that was it, hardly Adebayor v Arsenal.:lol: As I said a page or so back he was subbed about ten minutes later in that game and most of the crowd applauded him off.

Hernandez was dreadful when he came on in that champions league play off, I remember a friend of mine (United fan) posted me a video of Giggs and LVG laughing to themselves at how bad the cameo actually was. Think he missed a penalty or something.

Hernandez was made to look better like so many under SAF. Bad luck he gets Moyes again but the reality is he can't get a start for a team who've just lost 3-0 at home to Burnley.

Robbie Boy

It's been emphatically proven at this stage that we were absolutely right to get rid. I mean, it's not even debatable anymore.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Louis van Gaal has been labelled a "scoundrel" for his response to Javier Hernandez's recent penalty miss for Manchester United.

The striker, since sold to Bayer Leverkusen, missed a spot-kick in the 4-0 Champions League play-off win over Club Brugge. With the Mexico international lying on the ground after his botched effort, the cameras caught Van Gaal giving assistant manager Ryan Giggs a withering look

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He's one of those players who could excel in a Fergie team, but be incredibly mediocre in non-Fergie managed sides.

littleman

Overrated simply because he's mancunian.

I remember the tears and anger from so many posters. As typical of Redcafe, most of them are silent when proven wrong.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Doing o.k atm.

Warming up for his annual Old Trafford homecoming goal.