Danny Welbeck

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
So whats the story there then?

He's gone to the world cup and played 0 minutes, not even in the consolation match.

Was he injured? I think he's the only member of the squad apart from the goalkeepers that didn't get any minutes.

But unfair really if he wasn't injured.

Walters_19_MuFc

He's gone to the world cup and played 0 minutes, not even in the consolation match.

Was he injured? I think he's the only member of the squad apart from the goalkeepers that didn't get any minutes.

He came on against Belgium in group stage game.

arthurka

Was it ? The only unfair thing is him going to the WC in the first place.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

He got a few minutes the first time vs Belgium. You were probably dozed off at that stage.

Ban

He's not that good.

Ekeke

I think it makes sense that if you are struggling to score goals from open play using Welbeck isn't considered a good option.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
He probably lost his footing while being subbed on.

Only striker in the world with neuritis vestibularis.

RedDevil@84

Lol... Rashford struggled to get into the team.. Welbeck has no chance. With his wastefulness and lack of any ability, it was always unfair to tag him along on past reputation of scoring goals 3 years back.

Stadjer

Should have taken a Shelvey, he would have made vital contribution to the team.
Or even Wilshere... some extra attacking quality in midfield would have been nice. He was never going to get a chance with Kane, Rashford, Sterling and Vardy in front of him for the two striker places.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He came on against Belgium in group stage game.
He got a few minutes the first time vs Belgium. You were probably dozed off at that stage.
Good shout, I had forgotten that!

Carry on then guys :lol:

I don’t care he hardly played, I just thought it was harsh to take a month of a players life and not play them at all.

He was there in case we had injuries/ suspensions. If Kane had got injured, and then maybe Vardy or Rashford also, then we would have been screwed.

It’s actually quite surprising to have has no injuries in the first 6 matches. Harsh on Welbeck, but that’s what you get with a 23 man squad.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He would have done better than Sterling in that wide forward role. Everyone slags DW but he actually scores goals for England and sterling doesn’t yet he’s the darling.

flappyjay

He would have done better than Sterling in that wide forward role. Everyone slags DW but he actually scores goals for England and sterling doesn’t yet he’s the darling.
That's the funny part about what everyone is saying. They are gonna conveniently forget that he actually scores for England. Sterling has played more games for England and scored 2 goals whilst Danny has 16

Dundrummer

He was presumably taken due to his versatility, for when England needed to change up the system. But then the manager kept things the same for every single second of the tournament regardless of the state of the game. If that was the plan, then taking five players for two positions was just daft, and yet another strong indication that Southgate is an imbecile.

I think it makes sense that if you are struggling to score goals from open play using Welbeck isn't considered a good option.
Welbeck has scored as many goals in his last 99 minutes playing for England (i.e. all he's had under Southgate) as Sterling has in his international career. He's not a better player than Sterling, obviously, but he's definitely a better striker.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Purely a back up back up striker.

Very much like Taison for Brazil or Pjaca for Croatia.

Dante

Average bang
Welbeck and Sterling are very similar players in terms of both the good and the bad. They're top class threats that give their opponents an EXTREMELY difficult game, but lack a cutting edge to take advantage of the chances they create for themselves. The main difference is that Sterling is more direct, whilst Welbeck is better at dragging defenders into positions where they feel uncomfortable. Southgate obviously favoured directness in the World Cup, but I don't think either selection can reasonably called 'right' or 'wrong'.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Pretty sad how his career has gone. Remember the shit LVG got for selling him.

Robbie Boy

Pretty sad how his career has gone. Remember the shit LVG got for selling him.
The shit the club in general got for selling him was sad anti-United bollox and unfortunately some of our fans fell for it.

Jev

Think it's quite sad how vindictive many United fans are towards Welbeck. He did well for us, always gave it all and was a great tactical cog. He wasn't far off becoming a very, very good striker, though obviously injuries have halted his career since his move. By now he probably belongs on a shelf below Arsenal.

CA1

Considering Rashford and Vardy didn't even get enough time, even with Sterling's lack of goals, it shows Welbeck inclusion in the squad was a waste of a spot that could have been used better for England with the inclusion of a ball playing midfield option like Shelvey or Wilshere.

But hindsight is a wonderful thing.

CA1

As for Welbeck- the man and the character. Well.

The moment he left for those slimey bastards Arsenal is the moment I cared for him no more. I understand why but I've had no time for him, really. Don't dislike him, just don't root for him at all which is rare for a local lad who left us.

His next natural step and probably his most fitting one as a footballer will be playing for a mid table side (yes, even lower than Arsenal). I'll probably start rooting for him again then.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Would he feck.

Sterling's end product has been woeful, but he understands that role and his movement is fantastic (across the pitch, dropping off and carrying the ball, running in beyond Kane) and at least has some quality on the ball.

Welbeck runs around a bit and spends most of his time on the ball falling over it.

CallyRed

Welbeck would have spent more time on the floor than Sterling did.

AaronRedDevil

Welbeck is nothing more then a giant question mark of a football player. Makes Heskey look like Ronaldo.

Acole9

Outstanding
I was gutted when we sold him but that was because he's a local lad but let's face it, he's crap. Never scores unless it's against us.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Football fans are the worst. If welback did not suffer from injuries, developed better during his formative years and stayed around at a dominant period for the club we would be singing all sorts of praise.

Yeah that isn’t the case but not sure why people enjoy laughing at him?

RedDevil@84

He wasn't far off becoming a very, very good striker
He was miles away. He couldn't finish. He was/is undecisive and mostly "about to fall" in box, which is completely opposite of "good striker".
Spent 4 years playing with multiple talented guys and couldn't change that. We could have maybe got 1 or 2 years more of a good Chicharito if not for Moyes giving reserved spot to the local lad.

Jev

He was miles away. He couldn't finish. He was/is undecisive and mostly "about to fall" in box, which is completely opposite of "good striker".
Spent 4 years playing with multiple talented guys and couldn't change that. We could have maybe got 1 or 2 years more of a good Chicharito if not for Moyes giving reserved spot to the local lad.
Yeah, he was - and is - a bad finisher. We mostly used him for specific tactical purposes, not unlike Fellaini, and he rarely failed us in those big games.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
The shit the club in general got for selling him was sad anti-United bollox and unfortunately some of our fans fell for it.
He was always ridiculed for being picked for England, but that seemed to instantly change as soon as he was an Arsenal player, it was unbelievable.

I quite liked him when he was here, nor do I have anything against him now. Tireless effort on the pitch is easy to appreciate, even if end product is lacking, but it was staggering just how everyone's perception of him changed so immediately, as if he was going to be the national team's saviour and make United look like chumps.

Most memorable thing he's done at Arsenal is score a couple of times against us. And they paid £16m for him! At the time I actually thought we should have got more for him, but given how his career has gone since leaving, it was great business.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Think it's quite sad how vindictive many United fans are towards Welbeck. He did well for us, always gave it all and was a great tactical cog. He wasn't far off becoming a very, very good striker, though obviously injuries have halted his career since his move. By now he probably belongs on a shelf below Arsenal.
It is, but it's a reaction to everyone (media, pundits, oppos, some United fans) who said selling him was a big mistake and a sign we'd sold our soul etc. No it wasn't, Danny was never all that.

I wish him all the best but I won't deny myself a sly chuckle when I think of some of the prophecies of doom from back then.

Jacko21

Football fans are the worst. If welback did not suffer from injuries, developed better during his formative years and stayed around at a dominant period for the club we would be singing all sorts of praise.

Yeah that isn’t the case but not sure why people enjoy laughing at him?
I've never laughed at him, but nor do I think injuries or poor development put paid to his career at Manchester United. The phrase 'can't hit a barn door with a banjo' exists because of people like Welbeck.

He simply isn't a natural finisher and he had a ceiling that wasn't particularly high and certainly not high enough to warrant United turning down £16m (!!!) from Arsenal.

I honestly can't see why he is still the subject of debate. Players like him are ten a penny - promising, but ultimately disappointing.