Danny Welbeck

Chief123

Never said that though.

Should never have been sold when he was.
He was never good enough. You can’t always choose when to sell a player that is not good enough. If an offer comes in that is good enough then you let him go.

He has never been anything other than an average premier league scorer. Never one for a top competing team.

Oranges038

He was never good enough. You can’t always choose when to sell a player that is not good enough. If an offer comes in that is good enough then you let him go.

He has never been anything other than an average premier league scorer. Never one for a top competing team.
Aye, fine if your going to bring in better players. LVG sold players and replaced them with worse ones.

Apokalips

Aye, fine if your going to bring in better players. LVG sold players and replaced them with worse ones.
Fair enough, but that just means we should have bought better, not kept Welbeck. We sold him at a perfect time.

Hammondo

He wasn't too bad until after his first season at Arsenal. He'd literally played 30-40 games for a few season in a row.

Not saying he should have stayed forever, maybe another year or two.

If you look at that summers transfer dealings out, letting him go at that time, when Nani, Chicarito, Rio, Evra, Giggs, Fletch, Vidic etc had all just left.

Him and Chicarito were replaced with Falcao, who did nothing. While he went and played 30+ games for Arsenal.

It was a terrible transfer window.
He got injured every season for us, usually multiple times, usually for long periods.

Drainy

Never said that though.

Should never have been sold when he was.
I was probably his biggest defender on here, but the summer we sold him was probably the right time. He'd gotten a bit big for his boots based on the reporting at the time and wasn't doing as much of the dirty work that made him useful. On the flip side he was developing into more of a 1 in 2 striker and without injuries he probably would have developed a good reputation at Arsenal.

Oranges038

He got injured every season for us, usually multiple times, usually for long periods.
Not true at all, he hurt his knee at Preston, when he came back from that, he had a few hamstring issues but nothing overly major and for a young player with pace, to be some what expected as he was still developing. He still played in 25-30 PL games in each of his seasons at Utd and Sunderland. His injury troubles really started when he did his knee again at Arsenal, it was one thing after another then after that.

I was probably his biggest defender on here, but the summer we sold him was probably the right time. He'd gotten a bit big for his boots based on the reporting at the time and wasn't doing as much of the dirty work that made him useful. On the flip side he was developing into more of a 1 in 2 striker and without injuries he probably would have developed a good reputation at Arsenal.
Yeah, LVG was throwing him out on the left. He didn't like it, there was a touch of the Rivaldo's about that.

Too many experienced players left that window, he was one of the few that had been around that group of players that should have been kept even for maybe 1 more year.

Idxomer

Welbeck was our youngest striker who had some good experience at the top level.

In hindsight, it was a bad decision to sell him because the other three senior strikers were basically finished. Wilson also turned out to be nowhere near good enough.

Last edited:

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

16m was a pitiful transfer fee for a proven PL striker at the age of 23. Benteke was sold to Liverpool for double that amount around the same time.

I agree he wasn't good enough but it annoyed me that we sold him so cheap and didn't sign adequate replacements for a couple of years.

Chief123

16m was a pitiful transfer fee for a proven PL striker at the age of 23. Benteke was sold to Liverpool for double that amount around the same time.

I agree he wasn't good enough but it annoyed me that we sold him so cheap and didn't sign adequate replacements for a couple of years.
He was never premier league proven though. Never scored more than 9 premier league goals in a season for us. Always in and out of the team when he was fit. Rarely played as striker and rather on the wings where he wasn’t the best.

Rockets Redglare

He was never premier league proven though. Never scored more than 9 premier league goals in a season for us. Always in and out of the team when he was fit. Rarely played as striker and rather on the wings where he wasn’t the best.
He made nearly 100 league appearances for United and another 20 odd for Sunderland, he was Premier League proven.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
I think its great Welbeck is still going. Just because he's still scoring goals in the premier league doesn't mean we didn't get the right fee for him. We did well to get a fee for him considering some of the players whose contracts have been allowed to run out. Lingard springs to mind.

Chief123

He made nearly 100 league appearances for United and another 20 odd for Sunderland, he was Premier League proven.
There are lots of players who play 100 appearances in the premier league. It doesn’t make them good enough to play at the top level. Certainly not for a top club.

Arguing welbeck was a premier league proven striker at Utd is baffling. Never scored more than 9 goals in a season. Hardly ever played as the striker as well as he wasn’t good enough.

Chief123

Would you say Benteke was PL proven when Liverpool spent 32m on him? That's the kind of figure we should have been demanding for Welbeck, especially when you factor in English tax.
That’s a terrible argument. Your tangent doesn’t prove the point that Welbeck was a premier league proven striker. He wasn’t. He couldn’t even get a game for us regularly as a striker.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

That’s a terrible argument. Your tangent doesn’t prove the point that Welbeck was a premier league proven striker. He wasn’t. He couldn’t even get a game for us regularly as a striker.
I think your understanding of 'PL proven' is different to how most people would define it.

Chief123

I think your understanding of 'PL proven' is different to how most people would define it.
At the moment your argument appears to be if someone has made a lot of appearances in the premier league they qualify as premier league proven which is ridiculous. By the same narrative benteke is a premier league proven striker too.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

At the moment your argument appears to be if someone has made a lot of appearances in the premier league they qualify as premier league proven which is ridiculous. By the same narrative benteke is a premier league proven striker too.
If you're making over 100 appearances in the PL and you're not underperforming to a level where you need to drop down to a weaker league then you're PL proven. Weird that this even needs spelling out to you. The fact that he hasn't ever needed to transfer to a club outside the PL proves my point.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Fecking prick scored against us last season too.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Not United quality, but selling him on deadline day to be replaced with a crocked Falcao was a classic LVG/Woody masterstroke

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Not United quality, but selling him on deadline day to be replaced with a crocked Falcao was a classic LVG/Woody masterstroke
I think he’d still be here now tbh, if there was any semblance of continuity running through the club in the past 10 years. He was useful coming off the left or as an emergency striker.

Marwood

You must have very low standards for “premier league proven strikers”.
You didn't say "striker" initially. Most of his football was off the left.

But either way, he of course was a Premier League standard player. You don't play that many games for United, England(with a good goal record), get signed by Arsenal, if it's sill debatable you're Prem League quality.

RoyKeaneReborn

Useful as a squad player then. Hardworking and direct. Unfortunately, he developed a reputation (if I recall correctly) of tripping over himself and not being clinical enough. Wished him well. I never hated or have any malice for him after he left United.

Bert_

Benteke was Premier League proven player. Spent a decade playing in the Prem.

Being a first choice player for a top Premier League team with targets to win the biggest titles in the game isn't the entry level standard for a Premier League quality player.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Ofcourse Benteke is PL proven player.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Fecking prick scored against us last season too.
Apart from Palace, there’s no other team I wanted to do the double over more this season!

As for Welbeck, I think he’s always been a bit under rated, he never scored the most goals and still doesn’t but he’s such a tactically sound and intelligent player both on and off the ball.

I love him at Brighton and hope he stays until he retires. A great guy to have around the club.

Judas

Open to offers
No offence but this is absolute nonsense. Feel like your definition of PL proven striker is different to everyone else.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Apart from Palace, there’s no other team I wanted to do the double over more this season!

As for Welbeck, I think he’s always been a bit under rated, he never scored the most goals and still doesn’t but he’s such a tactically sound and intelligent player both on and off the ball.

I love him at Brighton and hope he stays until he retires. A great guy to have around the club.
I've always wanted to see him do well tbh. Glad he is

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I’d take him in an instant as a Wout replacement

presses well, can hold the ball up, decent in the air, scores some goals

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Being a first choice player for a top Premier League team with targets to win the biggest titles in the game isn't the entry level standard for a Premier League quality player.
I think the poster was confusing 'PL proven' with 'proven at the highest level at the PL'. In his mind PL proven isn't far off world class :lol:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Agree with everything you said about him. He just annoys me because he scored a last minute equaliser at the Bridge last season and then scores within minutes of coming on yesterday.

I do kinda like him though.

Bobski

Welbeck is a very good player who lacks the striking instincts to be a prolific scorer.

Technically very good, holds the ball up well, good at interplay, unselfish, excellent athletic abilities even now, strong, decent in the air, runs the channels for days and to top that off he is a selfless, intelligent footballer who is tactically excellent.

Injuries during his Arsenal spell ruined what should have been his peak years.

Aboutreika18

Classic Welbeck game. Misses his kick at a good chance in the six yard box, heads over unmarked from a good position and injures himself accidently kicking an opposition player.