Gaming Dark Souls II

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
What class did you finish it as?
I was sorcerer for most of the play through but then used a soul vessel to change it, went basically all strength and dexterity and then increasing the other stuff a bit once those two were at 50. Figured most of the stuff I used was pyromancy anyways so why not.

Not sure if I mentioned it, but it took about 50 hours for me I think.

Ekeke

So which screen shows your overall armor value? I was assuming it was the player status screen with the physical defence but that doesnt seem to budge no matter what I change.

bosnian_red

So which screen shows your overall armor value? I was assuming it was the player status screen with the physical defence but that doesnt seem to budge no matter what I change.
Did they have one for Dark souls? You might just need to add them if you want to find it. Sort of like you needed to calculate the 25% and 50% points in your head in the last game for weight.

Ekeke

I dont remember if there was on for dark souls or demons souls, but I would have expected them to have one by their 3rd game. I mean we have 2 or 3 different screens with stats, if there isnt one for one of the more useful pieces of info then there's something seriously wrong

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Haven't had much time to play this week but the bosses are all a bit samey so far. The pursuer followed by the 2 in the Heide Tower is like Groundhog Day.

Agree about the Dark Souls 1.5 comment.

Count Orduck

I've never played any of the games in this series before - is this a good one to pick up? Or am I better off picking up one of the older ones, even if they're a bit dated?

Lance Uppercut

They aren't particularly dated in comparison to this one. If you have a PS3, get Demon's Souls. If not, get Dark Souls.

Ekeke

They are only dated graphically.

I really hate the multiplayer, why havent they fixed and improved it by now? I can remember having problems with some covenants never getting summoned in Dark Souls, how is it the same years later in a new game?

Lance Uppercut

I had no problem summoning or being summoned. Rat King Covenant and Bell Keeper Covenant. I have a separate issue with the latter one, though.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
They are only dated graphically.

I really hate the multiplayer, why havent they fixed and improved it by now? I can remember having problems with some covenants never getting summoned in Dark Souls, how is it the same years later in a new game?
I can tell you it's still impossible trying to get into a game with a mate. Even wearing that ring so that you share a God makes feck all difference.

You level up crazy fast in this one too.

bosnian_red

Yeah, had no problems summoning or getting summoned on this one. There's loads of summon signs on the ground at all time it's just a race to be the first one to click on it before someone else summons the person.
I can tell you it's still impossible trying to get into a game with a mate. Even wearing that ring so that you share a God makes feck all difference.

You level up crazy fast in this one too.
I think they made it hard to connect with people you know on purpose, to give you a feeling that your alone in the world. At least that's how it was before pretty sure.

Ekeke

I mean summoned as part of the pvp of blue sentinels, using the cracked blue skull. I've spammed the hell out of it everywhere and only been summoned to another player's once to kill them

Lowkey

finished my first playthrough on pc last night. Been hitting it pretty hard. In my opinion, one of the best series of all time. An absolutely amazing game. The only way to play this game is blind. If you play with a guide, you pretty much miss the whole point of the game.

Going to stay in my current game for the next week or so. Going to start PVP'ing until my soul memory gets to a level where i will need to move onto NG+

I am most likely going to get the Chaos Blade & Berserker Blade and dual wield Katana's with the Mad warrior armor. Need to farm it.

Let the invades begin ^^

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I need to get on this, havent tried any of these games yet and feel like I need the frustration.

BibekDas

I need to get on this, havent tried any of these games yet and feel like I need the frustration.
This was my shot at souls series as I'm a PC gamer and simply can't handle a console :p
It was tough at first died countless times against the pursuer but you can pretty much feel yourself getting better. I haven't had such impression before in any game, the rewards for persisting is great. Felt like I just climbed Everest first time I beat him, now its a cake walk

Lance Uppercut

Dark Souls 2 will receive three new DLC episodes this summer, dubbed the "Lost Crowns Trilogy".

The Crown of the Sunken King will release on July 22, The Crown of the Old Iron King on August 26, and The Crown of the Ivory King on September 24. Each will release simultaneously across PC, PS3, and Xbox 360.

Here's Bandai Namco's official description of the new adventures:

"The Crown of the Sunken King sends players on a quest to reclaim the Crown that King Vendrick once owned. With an entirely new areas to explore within the Dark Souls II universe, players will find pyramids, underground caverns, and unknown foes. It is said that the Ancient Crown is buried deep below the surface, but surely it cannot sit unguarded?"

A Dark Souls 2 Season Pass is available on Steam for $24.99.

Dark Souls 2 shipped 1.2 million copies within a month of its release outside of Japan in March, though Bandai Namco's profits still fell from last year.

bosnian_red

Dlc for this came out today apparently, anyone have it yet? Will probably get it later tonight when I get home or tomorrow morning.

Lance Uppercut

Apparently it's only around 4 hours in length. I will wait until all 3 DLCs are available in one.

Ekeke

Second DLC is out and pretty good. I only know from watching others playing it though. 2 nice bosses and 1 meh one, the places and new loot are cool.

Unbelievably its 28th of August, 2 days after the official release of the dlc and 3 days after the Xbox version was leaked early onto Xbox live. And those who bought the season pass for the dlcs like myself can't get the dlc.

You can only buy it stand alone until they fix it.

PS Store is the most awkward, useless thing I have ever seen. Its terrible to navigate, the search isnt useful and they make stupid mistakes like this. You also have to wait till the day after things are supposed to release and all other formats get everything first.

bosnian_red

Second DLC is out and pretty good. I only know from watching others playing it though. 2 nice bosses and 1 meh one, the places and new loot are cool.

Unbelievably its 28th of August, 2 days after the official release of the dlc and 3 days after the Xbox version was leaked early onto Xbox live. And those who bought the season pass for the dlcs like myself can't get the dlc.

You can only buy it stand alone until they fix it.

PS Store is the most awkward, useless thing I have ever seen. Its terrible to navigate, the search isnt useful and they make stupid mistakes like this. You also have to wait till the day after things are supposed to release and all other formats get everything first.
Yeah it's quite fun. Stuck at the first boss though and you can't really do anything else until you beat him.

The first dlc was good but pretty short, this one is a decent amount longer but still not the size of the one in dark souls 1.

Ekeke

I thought the first dlc was pretty lame to play through. The items were good and bad with the Flynn ring being way too powerful (gives loads of damage even if you have plenty of vit points, only useless if you have like 30+) but stuff like the sanctum mace seemed pretty worthless with it poisoning you. Some decent looking heavy armor, but just heavy armor.

The new one has loads of good weapons, some nice armor sets, nice rings, some returning things from Dark Souls, at least one really memorable boss fight and lots of new enemies that can be challenging at first. I've heard a lot of people say they think its better than the actual DS 2 game and from watching it, it seems that way. But I guess I wont know until I manage to play it myself

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Playing this right no. Such a great concept. Rented dark souls 1 and probably only fished half of it but I loved it.

How would you all rank the 3 editions of the series?

Eriku

Just got this for the PS4, having finished DkS1 about a month ago. Heard a fair few complaints in terms of level design, cheap ways of upping boss difficulty, etc, but to me this seems to retain the Dark souls feel.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
Just got this for the PS4, having finished DkS1 about a month ago. Heard a fair few complaints in terms of level design, cheap ways of upping boss difficulty, etc, but to me this seems to retain the Dark souls feel.
Yeah got this for the xbox and agree it has the Dark souls feel but have got a ton of complaints(Can't see myself finishing it).

This video sums it up

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
It's not a terrible sequel but in comparison to the first game... well there is no equal comparison especially if you judge it by it's labyrinths.

It's not intuitive and that's just on a level design side...

Eriku

Yeah got this for the xbox and agree it has the Dark souls feel but have got a ton of complaints(Can't see myself finishing it).

This video sums it up

Yeah, that video was part of my research into the should I/shouldn't I? question... ultimately I definitely need to find out for myself, and I'm enjoying myself (:

Hopefully now Bloodborne has done well enough, they'll take DS3 back closer to 1.
You reckon they'll make a 3rd?

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Yeah, that video was part of my research into the should I/shouldn't I? question... ultimately I definitely need to find out for myself, and I'm enjoying myself (:
That's the way to do it. The only way to know for sure is play it.

You reckon they'll make a 3rd?
Yes. Bloodborne was made seperately because they wanted a big hit on the new consoles but didn't want to be seen to dumb down the souls games. That implies they will be continued and a whole host of new players will jump in now.

Plus remaster 2, then 1 and you have a legion of fans ready for the next Souls or Bloodborne Who are capable of playing them and wanting them more challenging (the way it should be). Smart really and the difference here is gamers win because they are great games and the sales will help others re-introduce deeper games.

Hopefully.

Eriku

Maaaan, I hope you're right. I'd also throw my money at a PS4 remaster of DkS1, EASY.

And you're right about people finding it a different kind of experience and getting others in on it... I find myself being as evangelical about the 1st game as I am about the Wire ;P

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Maaaan, I hope you're right. I'd also throw my money at a PS4 remaster of DkS1, EASY.

And you're right about people finding it a different kind of experience and getting others in on it... I find myself being as evangelical about the 1st game as I am about the Wire ;P
As I banged on about before, the whole concept of console gamers needing dumbed down games should have ended years ago.

It doesn't help that the likes of Cod sells every year, but even that isn't an excuse any longer because people are buying them more for liking then rather than them not capable of playing anything deeper.

There's a place for both types of games and games like Bloodborne and even Skyrim should pave the way for depth to be brought back.

Eriku

As I banged on about before, the whole concept of console gamers needing dumbed down games should have ended years ago.

It doesn't help that the likes of Cod sells every year, but even that isn't an excuse any longer because people are buying them more for liking then rather than them not capable of playing anything deeper.

There's a place for both types of games and games like Bloodborne and even Skyrim should pave the way for depth to be brought back.
The pendulum swings... Just glad certain companies are insisting on difficulty and trial and error to figure out the appropriate mechanics to employ while we wait for companies and marketshares to realise that there needs to be a bit more of a challenge.

Eriku

I can see why there's been a bit of whining about the mechanics being slightly less fair in fighting, and that they seem to have upped the amount of grunts that you aggro at any given time in order to make it more of a challenge. A bit annoying at times, but I'm still enjoying this game :)

First boss took me three times to kill, and after a while I realised that I was in an area that was meant for slightly later in the game, then I went into a new area and took the boss there first go :)

The first game sets you up. It's still a challenge, and I've still died a fair few times, and inch my way around, but there's no way the game blind-sides you like the first one did, where you still didn't know the mechanics of the game and that you have to be really patient.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It can be brilliant but still have some issues that the first game didn't have.
I finished dark souls 2 a few weeks back and am currently in the middle of demon's souls. Can't really notice the differences. Or do you mean dark souls 1? I played 4-5 hours of that too.

Eriku

I finished dark souls 2 a few weeks back and am currently in the middle of demon's souls. Can't really notice the differences. Or do you mean dark souls 1? I played 4-5 hours of that too.
Dark Souls I. Haven't played DeS.

Like I mentioned earlier, the game mechanics seem slightly less fair. If I get hit in DaS, I know it's because I screwed up. Not always the case in DaSII. Enemies seem to be aggroed in larger numbers regardless of what you do, small ones to bigger ones, stacking the odds against you. While some people may love that kind of challenge, it seems like a cheap way of upping the difficulty. I've not played enough yet to know whether I'd agree with all the criticisms, but I can see why some people think that the first one is better.

Just so that we're clear, I'm loving DSII, and this is mainly nitpicking. The difficulty of the first, at least in the beginning, will always have been greater to those of us who played that first, without having played DeS, seeing as you're in the dark about so many things, and you've not encountered a game so unforgiving when it comes to your approach to fighting, so I don't expect to be too frustrated by the issues that make this a harder game, like the loss of max HP with each kill.