Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Strongly disagree. He was a colossal figure in our midfield 2008-2011. Huge engine, got stuck in, pressed and harried the ball, won it back and kept it moving. Chipped in with a few goals as well, a few of them were screamers n'all. The guts and engine Fletcher had in his prime is what we need right now. Teams are strolling through our midfield, swatting away any kind of physical presence we have to offer. Fletcher just doesn't have that in him anymore, which is saddening.
He was good enough to feed the ball from our world class defence of Rio, Vidic and Evra to our world class attack of Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez. He wouldn't have been good enough if the team around him was weaker.

Enigma_87

You know who
He was good enough to feed the ball from our world class defence of Rio, Vidic and Evra to our world class attack of Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez. He wouldn't have been good enough if the team around him was weaker.
He was really great in his role. No one expected from him to be Scholes or Keane. He was an essential figure in a team that had great success both in the Premier League and in CL.

However now it's time to hang up the boots, he is a mere shadow of his former self.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
He was really great in his role. No one expected from him to be Scholes or Keane. He was an essential figure in a team that had great success both in the Premier League and in CL.

However now it's time to hang up the boots, he is a mere shadow of his former self.
Rose tinted glassed I'm afraid. The midfield was always the weak part of that team and Fletcher was just about good enough.

Kayo

Outside Lou Macari's with a can of strongbow.
Colossal was how I'd describe Bryan Robson or Roy Keane, both absolute animals of players who could dominate and run a midfield, drag teams single handily through games on any given day regardless of how their team mates were playing.

Darren Fletcher was never colossal, in his prime he would still be miles off getting in the top teams in Europe and stood out because our midfield was so weak and has been getting weaker year after year.

He was a good player nothing more, now he is completely finished and can't even seem to do the basics in which he excelled at a few years ago, keeping the ball, closing people down etc.

Unfortunately the illness has taken its toll but he would be ideal to coach our youngsters in some capacity.

Red Stone

"He was good enough to feed the ball from our world class defence of Hierro, Roberto Carlos and Salgado to our world class attack of Ronaldo, Zidane and Figo. He wouldn't have been good enough if the team around him was weaker."

Look at that. Now it looks like it's been written by an equally wrong Real Madrid fan about Makelele.

Duafc

Village Lemon
"He was good enough to feed the ball from our world class defence of Hierro, Roberto Carlos and Salgado to our world class attack of Ronaldo, Zidane and Figo. He wouldn't have been good enough if the team around him was weaker."

Look at that. Now it looks like it's been written by an equally wrong Real Madrid fan about Makelele.
:lol:

Devil may care

He doesn't have the legs for the PL anymore, his greatest strength was his engine and his combativeness in hunting the ball down, now he is losing most of the 50/50's he goes in for and I think the pressure of the pace is affecting his passing as despite what some are saying he was a tidy, if basic, distributor of the ball, but now he is struggling to hit simple passes if there is even a hint of a player closing him down.

Brophs

The One and Only
Early days in the season and he's just off his first pre-season in a few years so I wouldn't like to judge too early, but he doesn't seem to have the mobility that made him so effective. Without that he doesn't offer a massive amount on the pitch, or certainly not so much that he couldn't be replaced IMO. Fingers crossed his form picks up in the next few weeks with games.

Bwuk

Fletcher was always over rated by United fans. Never bought into his hype as one of the best midfielders in the league. He wasn't as good as Nicky Butt in his peak.

I'm scottish and would of loved it if Fletcher had ever been world class.

Mister Ed

Fletcher was always over rated by United fans. Never bought into his hype as one of the best midfielders in the league. He wasn't as good as Nicky Butt in his peak.

Overhyping players from the academy is the greatest sin among so many Manchester United supporters. Class of 92 is far behind us...

Parma Dewol

Really wanted Fletcher to have a great season, he's been a good player for us in the past and has overcome so much to get to this stage. That said, he shouldn't get special treatment due to his past illness. He'd probably be the first to admit that he's been well off the pace in the first two games of the season. Lost count of how many times he's given the ball away.

Red Phoenix Rising

He was incredible in 09. You can't really expect someone with this type of injury to recover and be better than before, it simply just doesn't happen. For what it's worth I thought he was a miles better player than Nicky Butt, especially in that 09 season.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Look we all have our opinions about Fletcher pre illness and most on the Caf know mine.

I think Wenger once called him anti football, just on the back of us knocking them out of the CL and to be honest that's the way I viewed him. Somebody that ran round pressing the ball all over the pitch. Clearly that's now completely gone and he's left with the other more limited areas of his game.

That said he's done remarkably well to come back playing at all and TBF even I was getting a little optimistic that he could offer us something this season, after a good pre season. Sadly for him and our club that doesn't look like it's the case, the only positive is that LVG must surely have realised that now and the transfer window is still open.

Bwuk

He was incredible in 09. You can't really expect someone with this type of injury to recover and be better than before, it simply just doesn't happen. For what it's worth I thought he was a miles better player than Nicky Butt, especially in that 09 season.

I'm not expecting him too ever be what he was. Giggs was never near what he was in his prime last year, and thus I never wanted to see him play last year.

Fletcher's illness is horrible, and as someone who has had severe stomach issues himself, I sympathise. Doesn't change the fact he isn't good enough anymore. I would argue he isn't even good enough for a top 10 side in this league anymore.

WyoManU

Man United through and through. Great lad. Sad illness story. Also, not good enough.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Overhyping players from the academy is the greatest sin among so many Manchester United supporters. Class of 92 is far behind us...
Where in they are in the reserves and the academy they get overhyped, the ones who have been brought into the first team have consistently come under brutal criticism, the majority of fans deeming them not up to the required standard.

Bloxy

Why does it always rain on me?
I do feel sad for him though. He has been a faithful servant to the club and worked his socks off to get into the starting eleven.

He must be feeling like shit about his performances over the last two weeks.

JackXX

Really poor today. I feel bad about criticising him but we just can't accommodate any passengers and he's miles off the pace. I could list a number of things he did wrong but the blunt truth is that he's just not very good any more. It's understandable and a sad story but we need someone else in that role. It's crazy that I was happy to see Adnan playing in there instead and I was even thinking before that to try Welbeck on there. He could maybe continue the latter years of his career abroad. I think the pace of the PL is way too much.

Ekeke

Was he heck. Paul Scholes and even Owen Hargreaves when fit were better.
Oh dear.

Fletcher was never amazing, I can certainly see how rival fans (who are used to good midfielders) would think he barely scrapes by as a good option at his best. He was however more than good enough to keep Hargreaves out of the team, who was absolutely clueless in CM and therefore moved to right back, right midfield and even left midfield

NoWinNoFee

kietotheworld mk2
I do feel sad for him though. He has been a faithful servant to the club and worked his socks off to get into the starting eleven.

He must be feeling like shit about his performances over the last two weeks.
Hate reading stuff like this, the only ones who has been faithful is the club to Darren Fletcher, supporting him through his illness, paying him £12m in wages for doing nothing.

If you call that being faithful servant to the club, well then I'll be faithful servant to the club too if they pay £12m for 5 years, infact £1m for 20 years will do, gimme anything though, as most of us here will be faithful servants to the club forever for free.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
How he got the vice captaincy is beyond me. He had one good game in the preseason and its been down hill ever since he played Liverpool.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
I understand the angst towards Cleverley but the vitriol towards Fletcher is baffling. I can't believe people are trying to downplay Fletcher's past performances for the club. He was truly fantastic for about 3 seasons and many still claim we would have done better in the 08/09 CL final if we had Fletcher available then. He was an integral part of that team and to be questioning the quality of that Fletcher is ridiculous... Remember guys due to the reconstructive nature of memories, future events can cause your memories to be distorted in a negative or positive manner depending on the nature of the future event.

Fletcher has had a horrific chronic illness and look a pale shadow of the player he used to be. That much is obvious to us, it is a criminal lack of planning on the club's behalf to use him as a first team player going into the season with Carrick out. He should have been nothing more than our 4th/5th option for our midfield and yet we probably have to start the next 2-3 games with him. Make no mistake, I am not defending Fletcher's performances, they have been abysmal, but it the club's mistake that they are persisting with a has-been player for a first team spot. In the best case scenario he should be have 10-20 appearances throughout the season and should be in the squad for his experience alone since we are severely lacking that at the moment with Rio, Vidic and Evra having left.

Last edited:

Djemba-Djemba

I understand the angst towards Cleverley but the vitriol towards Fletcher is baffling. I can't believe people are trying to downplay Fletcher's past performances for the club. He was truly fantastic for about 3 seasons and many still claim we would have done better in the 08/09 CL final if we had Fletcher available then. He was an integral part of that team and to be questioning the quality of that Fletcher is ridiculous... Remember guys due to the reconstructive nature of memories, future events can cause your memories to be distorted in a negative or positive manner depending on the nature of the future event.

Fletcher has had a horrific chronic illness and look a pale shadow of the player he used to be. That much is obvious to us, it is a criminal lack of planning on the club's behalf to use him as a first team player going into the season with Carrick out. He should have been nothing more than our 4th/5th option for our midfield and yet we probably have to start the next 2-3 games with him. Make no mistake, I am not defending Fletcher's performances, they have been abysmal, but it the club's mistake that they are persisting with a has-been player for a first team spot. In the best case scenario he should be have 10-20 appearances throughout the season and should be in the squad for his experience alone since we are severely lacking that at the moment with Rio, Vidic and Evra having left.
Exactly.

For us to be relying on a 30 year old Darren Fletcher, who has been suffering with his illness for about 3 years now on and off, to just come back straight into the first team like nothing has happened shows just how negligent we have been in regards to midfield over the last 5 or 6 years. Fletcher should be nothing more than backup at best, it's not his fault we've ignored the gaping hole in our midfield for years and years and are having to rely on him.

buckooo1978

Bossed by Cattermole and looked well off the pace

You would expect some sort of leadership but he was anonymous and his passing was awful

Disappointed after all the preseason promise

m1y2

I can't believe he's vice-captain.....he should must leave the club ffs
it is a harsh post. Everyone knows now he should be our last option playing one match in two weeks to save energy for it. It is obvious that he had to change his game and all that was characteristic for him in his game and so valuable for us - energy, hardworking, tackling is gone. I think he should do Brown/Sheasy and the sooner the better for the club which is always bigger than player so we should try not to be hasitating about it much we need to win things straight away. Anyway he should stay for this season, we truly need someone so experienced and a player who knows the club who will tell so many incoming players how it works here. That doesn't mean he is played week in week out. Giving him captaincy should be a good respect showed to him in this season which could be his arguably last if we are onto win titles again in the future. This was sunderland. I wonder how will we paly at anfield or white heart line with high pressing team like tottenham, we have no chance to succeed. Our midfield has been shit for a long time. Carrick being our best player is the sign of it. He is the player who should be considered as a backup at best. Don't say we should be real madrid but look at how many top teams have better midfield option than us on the pitch and on the bench as well. Carrick was guaranteed starter now we have Fletcher after his illness. Club have to asses this problem ASAP. In one year there is gonna be different squad hopefully but Fletcher needs to stay for one more year

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
I understand that he had a bad game and he isn't the answer to our midfield problems but some of the reactions have been more disgusting than his performance. We didn't win a football match, grow up and deal with it.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I think we overestimated him with his preseason performances. With his health and fitness regressed over the past three years, I don't think he can start for us anymore in the league. Maybe CC and FA Cup games but hopefully Carrick can come back soon to take his place.

Kakeru

I will be blunt here: I know people were touched by the story with his illness and how he worked hard to play football again at United. However, this kind of dreamland bollocks just has to stop once and for all because reality cannot afford to be rosy with this kind of particular situation.

Look at Eric Abidal in Barcelona. We all heard about the long struggle he had to get a new liver and then return to competitive football. However, Barcelona ended up realizing that he just doesn't fit in the team's plans anymore. What did they do? They phased him out by different means and ended up "signing the separation papers". Abidal sure was angry, but hey it was the right decision. When it comes to Darren Fletcher, I hope we will show the same amount of realism and ruthlessness regardless of whether or not Fletcher will get angry in public. Football is all about business, nothing personal.

Bloxy

Why does it always rain on me?
Hate reading stuff like this, the only ones who has been faithful is the club to Darren Fletcher, supporting him through his illness, paying him £12m in wages for doing nothing.

If you call that being faithful servant to the club, well then I'll be faithful servant to the club too if they pay £12m for 5 years, infact £1m for 20 years will do, gimme anything though, as most of us here will be faithful servants to the club forever for free.
I don't care if you hate it or love it, Fletcher "was" good for us before his illness and before that he worked hard and never complained. Nobody here is talking about money here other than you mate.
Yes I agree he shouldn't be starting for us again like everybody else, but lets not take away the fact that he was a very important player for this club.

ZDwyr

I like Fletch, I think he is a nice guy. I rated him when he was at his peak for us too. However, he is done; that performance was dreadful. Someone needs to tap him on the shoulder and tell him that maybe he should give it up.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It's really quite a shame to see him be as terrible as he has been in these last two games... especially considering a) the player he was and b) the fact that it's probably through no fault of his own.

Jayvin

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Fletcher at his best was one of our most important players. His use of the ball, work rate, short and mid range passing, and goal scoring were all vital to our team. Memories are so short on here.
Dunno about that, he has never been a consistent goal scorer. It's like saying Carrick's goal scoring has been a vital part of our team, he HAS scored some crackers, but he didn't do it very often.

Anyway, Fletcher was very good in 2009, 5 years ago. Now he is terrible, that's all that really matters.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Dunno about that, he has never been a consistent goal scorer. It's like saying Carrick's goal scoring has been a vital part of our team, he HAS scored some crackers, but he didn't do it very often.

Anyway, Fletcher was very good in 2009, 5 years ago. Now he is terrible, that's all that really matters.
Yeah, I wasn't saying he is good now. Just taking exception to those that say he was never any good. And people calling for his contract to be terminated.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
His spirit is willing but his body has given up on him and the illness has taken a lot out of him.

He will probably retire this season and start coaching one will think.

Water Melon

Darren is a red thorugh and through, but EPL is too much for him. We as a club have been very loyal to him, and he has been the same to us, however, its about the time to part our ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.