4.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedPhil1957

Fletcher's done very well in the midfield role, and it seems like he's finally starting to get back to his old self. What amazes me is how good he is, technically, and how good his passing is as well. Defensively, he's improved massively, and his positioning, reading of the game, and awareness of what goes on around him is back to what it was in the past. The captaincy is also bringing the best out of Fletcher as a leader. He has more presence on the pitch as a leader, and I hope he remains our captain as his calmness and consistency will wear off onto the other players. Having him in midfield can bring the best out of Herrera as Fletcher can allow Herrera to play his natural game.

People forget or never saw just how good a player fletcher was at 15-16, injuries and illness have stopped him being right up there among the very best. Sheer guts and determination has enabled him to keep coming back to a good level.

FromTheBench

Passing has been sublime. Have to say though the games are not being played at the pace and intensity that he's struggled with since 2010/11 season.

Been so good on tour it may deter Van Gaal from adding to our midfield... Does that concern anyone?
We still need 1 more midfielder unless Van Gaal rates Fellaini/Anderson.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
People forget or never saw just how good a player fletcher was at 15-16, injuries and illness have stopped him being right up there among the very best. Sheer guts and determination has enabled him to keep coming back to a good level.
Yeah, I remember him being touted as a replacement for Beckham on the right wing. I'm really surprised that Fletcher was underrated at that point, IMO. I guess that's how things worked out.

Rossa

Yeah, I remember him being touted as a replacement for Beckham on the right wing. I'm really surprised that Fletcher was underrated at that point, IMO. I guess that's how things worked out.
He was never much of a winger though - much too slow. Beckham wasn't lightning, but Fletcher didn't exploit the spaces like Beckham did, nor did he cross the ball as well. When he broke through in the centre of midfield, his short passing and immense stamina made him the quality player he was and now looking to be once more.

Unlikely lad

He was never much of a winger though - much too slow. Beckham wasn't lightning, but Fletcher didn't exploit the spaces like Beckham did, nor did he cross the ball as well. When he broke through in the centre of midfield, his short passing and immense stamina made him the quality player he was and now looking to be once more.
Who does though :lol:?

Love seeing Fletcher back, will always be one of my favourite players.

Seveneric

Best thing so far this preseason. He's one of my favourite United players and it's really good to see him displaying a bit of the form that made him indispensable in 09. Hope he carries it into the season when the real matches start.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
Wasn't entirely sure Fletch could come back to his best but he looks well on his way to doing that. Fair play, we could really use a player like him at the moment.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He's been brilliant this pre season. Played the full 90 all but once I ink, and he didn't play at all in that game, which was probably our worst performance. Let's hope he can keep it up in the speed of the premier league but I don't see why not, he's looked class against some of the best teams in the world.

Trizy

He's been brilliant all preseason, nailed on started over Carrick IMO.

Hed Zitin

His ability to switch the play accurately has been a real key factor for us playing so well. Young was talking about how we'd been working on it in training in the post match interview.

He's been improving every game. A complete CM performance yesterday.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
He was very neat and tidy last night. I only noticed him make one error giving away possession. The majority of his balls were very positive too, rarely passing backwards.

My expectations were skewed reading everyone's thoughts on here after the game though. The way some in the Vidal thread were talking, making it sound like we don't need him now Fletcher is regaining form, made me think he was going to be playing on another level.

Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted to see him playing well and looking better and better (on the field and psychically). However I'm a long way from being convinced that Fletcher can be anything more than a squad player this season - albeit a very good one. Aside from the fact that I don't think he's good enough yet to play in a midfield 2 of a title winning team week in week out, there's always the worry that his illness could flare up and then we lose him for god knows how long again.

Minimalist

Must say, I've been proved wrong somewhat after seeing him against Madrid. As good as I've ever seen him.

I know it's pre-season and all but still, very encouraging.

Will Absolute

I thought he had it a bit easy in the earlier games, with lots of time and space, and too conservative in his passing. But he was impressive against Real - almost like the Fletcher of old, putting out fires all over the pitch. From the amount of playing time he's had, it looks like Van Gaal is thinking seriously about him as a lynchpin in the middle.

Acole9

Outstanding
He's been the player of the tour so far for me. He's showing signs of his former self where he was a real asset.

Lane

It's vital for him now to put his injury problems behind, if he can stay fit, given our starting games he will have a great chance to prove himself in the center of the field.

Glanville95

I think some of the criticism of him last season was extremely unreasonable and unjustified. He returned from a debilitating illness that is bound to have an effect on his physical attributes and energy; key components of Fletchers game. He deserved the time to recover and being a consummate professional, a full pre-season where he can get up to speed can make a massive impact.

That said, I am extremely and pleasantly surprised how he's performed on tour. His performance level has been so high, that it's at the extent of being one of our stand-out players so far. He looks mobile, he's a very good foil for Herrera and he looks extremely comfortable under pressure and distributing the ball. That's something that concerned me, as his first touch and technique often deserted him last season.

He can still be a key player for us, whether we sign another midfielder or not. As it stands, he would be our second choice midfielder for the next three months or so in Carrick's absence and Herrera might take time to adjust to the league. It isn't even a certainty that he would be omitted from the first team if we signed Vidal anyway.

Scots Crusader

Really pleased to see Fletch getting back to something like his best. He could be huge for us this season and a serious candidate for the armband just for his experience and ability to organise. He never stopped talking to the other players, always helping he younger ones.

We still need another CM but still great to have him available and fit again.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Last edited:

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
If he can keep the form he's shown on the tour, he deserves to stay for sure. Before this season, he was one of the players I thought wouldnt make it. Fair play to him!

Parma Dewol

Fletch could be such a big player for us this season. He's been brilliant during the warm-up games so here's hoping he stays fully fit for the title race. A serious contender for captain, too. Nothing but admiration for the lad, he has the work ethic, spirit and commitment that our midfield has been lacking in recent years.

Also says a lot that Fergie thought highly of him, and LVG gave him the armband for his first game in charge.

itso 7

If he can keep the form he's shown on the tour, he deserves to stay for sure. Before this season, he was one of the players I thought wouldnt make it. Fair play to him!
Stay ? The lad is in contention for the armband, a genuine contender! I, however, think we ought to look for a young upcoming defensive midfielder to rotate in and out of the side with Fletcher and Carrick because, for different reasons, there could be a time when they are both unavailable. We definitely need cover for both CM positions because I don't rate Cleverley as back up for Cleverley.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Stay ? The lad is in contention for the armband, a genuine contender! I, however, think we ought to look for a young upcoming defensive midfielder to rotate in and out of the side with Fletcher and Carrick because, for different reasons, there could be a time when they are both unavailable. We definitely need cover for both CM positions because I don't rate Cleverley as back up for Cleverley.
LVG says his captain will always play no matter what. I'm not sure Fletch can give that guarantee. What I said was that if he keeps his current form, he's one that has a future at United which was not always the case

NMF

I'll admit I was one of those hoping Fletcher would be let go or moved into coaching this season but credit to him his been arguably our best player so far.

revel911

LVG says his captain will always play no matter what. I'm not sure Fletch can give that guarantee. What I said was that if he keeps his current form, he's one that has a future at United which was not always the case
Exactly! Great qualities for a Captain and will see some games, but even if we do not sign another CM what about when Carrick comes back.

Brightonian

He's been excellent so far on tour... but I'm surprised by just how surprised everyone is by this. He was comfortably our best CM last year, and showed signs of getting back towards the level he used to be capable of. I suppose it is easy to lose track of any good individual performances from last year amongst the waves of mediocrity and general team shiteness.

Obviously I might not have predicted that he would practically be our best player in pre-season, but I'm not surprised that he's been really good. I think perhaps a lot of people haven't got their heads around the fact that the colitis surgery is an actual cure, and were expecting his physical performance to always be somewhat limited, to never get back to the old levels.

Trizy

I'll admit I was one of those hoping Fletcher would be let go or moved into coaching this season but credit to him his been arguably our best player so far.
Same.

Danillaco

fecking hell, Fletcher is playing very well. He's holding his position, protecting the defense, and spraying balls like Scholes, kinda. I'm actually impressed with his passing range.

Nuts

I'm ecstatic about his form pre-season but still feel concerned - he simply doesn't look well to me, and still can't regain the muscle he had before he took his first break. I'd worry about him in PL games, though he may benefit from the extra CB LvG seems likely to pick.

Fully Fledged

He's been epic this preseason. He has definitely been one of the major plus points of the tour. I'd give him the captaincy.

mu4c_20le

He has always been a big game player. Regardless of who LVG chooses to be the club captain, I think he should get the armband today anyways. He has survived many transfer windows with angry fans calling for his departure , I can't think of any other player who has been through as much shite as him and still come back stronger than ever. He is a living breathing example of the United Way.

NoPace

Passing has generally been shaky after missing so much time (as it was early in his career) but it was impeccable against Madrid. If he keeps playing out of trouble in tight spaces, moving forward for 1-2's and stretching play when he's got a second to look up, he'll take Carrick's spot next to Herrera.

Brightonian

I'm ecstatic about his form pre-season but still feel concerned - he simply doesn't look well to me, and still can't regain the muscle he had before he took his first break. I'd worry about him in PL games, though he may benefit from the extra CB LvG seems likely to pick.
If he's unwell, it's nothing to do with the colitis. The surgery effectively cures that. It no longer has any real physical impact on him.

Personally I think he's just done that thing that older players generally have to of maintaining high levels of stamina by dropping off a bit of muscle weight. By that age they're generally canny enough to not need muscle to be strong on the ball, so slimming down a bit tends to be a win-win.

Obviously with Fletcher it's been more a case of not putting all the muscle back on, rather than having to actively lose it.

Status
Not open for further replies.