Darren Fletcher's break from football

girish

I too love women...for their shoes.
All I can say is good luck to him.

Get well soon Darren, we need you.:(

The Neviller

I have very little understanding of this disease.

Anyone out there with more knowledge than me, do you think that he can come back from this and play for us again? Are there any other professional sports players out there that are known to suffer from this?
My sister has it, and having seen how badly it affects her i'm stunned he has managed to play football at all.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Wow, hope he makes a speedy recovery. At least there are some players left who don't only care about money, he's a good lad is Fletch.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
All those coming in hear with shit like "Fergie spend some money" can feck off. That shit can stay in another thread, this thread should be about every single united supporter wishing Darren a quick and full recovery. Poor lad it's a proper wank illness. Honestly some of you seem almost glad he's gone so you get your precious January transfer.

Who in this thread has posted anything to suggest he's best gone?

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Terrible for him, and us.

Hope he gets it sorted as soon as possible.

mufcwarm92

Absolutely devastating news for him and United. With time he may be able to overcome it and there will always be a place for him when he returns.

Leg-End

Hope he gets sorted out for the long term, its a kick in the teeth for him and the club though.

stubie

Gutted for him. Hope he makes a full recovery.

We now need to buy in January to cover for Fletcher's loss

BaldwinLegend

Definitely the right move - could see that all was not right and he certainly wasn't the force of old.

Hopefully he'll come back as Scholes did after his break, with renewed energy having sorted it out totally.

The Neviller

Hope he can overcome this, though there's no cure, so it's something he'll always have to live with, unless he gets the operation, which wouldn't be the nicest of things to get.

I genuinely don't think we'll see him in a United shirt again, Ulcerative Colitis is a debilitating illness.

Health is more important than anything, so best wishes to him.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Why? It's not as though he's going to read it. I do wish him all the best, but discussing the implications of this on our team, and on our transfer policy, that doesn't do any harm, indeed it's better than 5 pages of 'every single united supporter' saying "Good luck Fletcher" and such. You always seem to be trying to big yourself up as some sort of superfan and spoiling for an argument with people.
Twigg does go well over the top but he's got a point - there's a number of threads discussing our midfield issues, it can't be that hard to leave that side of things out of this thread, can it?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Despite suffering from this injury, he still played to his full extent whilst playing for us and Scotland. Fletch really is fantastic pro.

Maajid

Formerly Mad
Explains his drop in form in recent seasons. Hard luck, hope to see him put on the jersey again.

BaldwinLegend

Gutted for the lad. The club can recover but not sure if the player will. What a kick in the balls for a professional footballer at one of the best clubs in the world entering the prime years of his career.
Cruel, isn't it? Had overcome all the doubters to become the first name SAF put in CM. Seems a long time ago that he was last in his best form...

kietotheworld

Twigg does go well over the top but he's got a point - there's a number of threads discussing our midfield issues, it can't be that hard to leave that side of things out of this thread, can it?
It's not hard, but I don't see why you should leave that bit out. It's not as though he's died, it's not a tragedy, he's just taking a break from football for a bit due to an unpleasant illness, and that effects our midfield options. Perhaps other threads would be slightly more appropriate, but no-one should be castigated for discussing how it effects the team, and how to best minimise those effects here. It's relevant.

The Neviller

Bugger. I just read the Wiki page on this illness - not good. Get well soon Fletch.
Having seen first hand the affect it has on someone it's truly awful. I know remission spells can come around, but watching my sister constantly in pain and fatigued i just don't see how Fletch could play for us on any kind of regular basis.

Gutted for him.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Get well soon! It just goes to show you never know whats going on behind closed doors. Hope he remains positive about things and treats it like another big game.

redevil2

Not Crohn's disease as rumoured at least. Hope he recovers from this. Question is then, will he be able to get back to his best? He's already been out since Spring, and this "extended break" could very likely last for the rest of the season I'd think - at least a few months.
I can't believe people (United fan no less) can be so insensitive. When it comes to health, the first and foremost concern is whether he, as a human being as well as a United player, is able to make a speedy and full recovery.

Why can't people be more considerate and just wishing him the best medical attention and full recovery soonest, which is way more important than whether he's able to be playing to his best for the team in the future!

Longsden_7

Heard rumblings about this a few weeks back. Keep the faith Darren.

Still, at least the midfield is fine.

The Neviller

I can't believe people (United fan no less) can be so insensitive. When it comes to health, the first and foremost concern is whether he, as a human being as well as a United player, is able to make a speedy and full recovery.

Why can't people be more considerate and just wishing him the best medical attention and full recovery soonest, which is way more important than whether he's able to be playing to his best for the team in the future!
In fairness, I imagine one of Fletchers own concerns is whether he'll be able to play to his full ability too, that's the nature of being a professional sportsman.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Totally gutted for Fletcher... hope he takes, and the club gives him, as long as he needs before he makes a return to football.

BaldwinLegend

Having seen first hand the affect it has on someone it's truly awful. I know remission spells can come around, but watching my sister constantly in pain and fatigued i just don't see how Fletch could play for us on any kind of regular basis.

Gutted for him.
What worries me is how much bulk he lost, having presumably worked so hard to get in that shape in the first place. Will be very hard to get that back if he's taking a break. Let's be honest, he's looked a shadow of his best form and now faces a real battle to ever get it back.

I wonder if the 'extended break' is a sign he's elected to have the surgery option and write this season off, coming back next year?

Commadus

Anyone suffer from this or knows someone who does? It seems to me its something you manage and live with.

What caused this? His previous weight loss / infection?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Awful news. Very best of luck to Darren.

A nice response from RAWK, well done to their posters:

Darren Fletcher

Commadus

What worries me is how much bulk he lost, having presumably worked so hard to get in that shape in the first place. Will be very hard to get that back if he's taking a break. Let's be honest, he's looked a shadow of his best form and now faces a real battle to ever get it back.

I wonder if the 'extended break' is a sign he's elected to have the surgery option and write this season off, coming back next year?
Reading wikipedia surgery involves removing the large intestines and he'; be using a colostomy bag for the rest of his life.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
It's not hard, but I don't see why you should leave that bit out. It's not as though he's died, it's not a tragedy, he's just taking a break from football for a bit due to an unpleasant illness, and that effects our midfield options. Perhaps other threads would be slightly more appropriate, but no-one should be castigated for discussing how it effects the team, and how to best minimise those effects here. It's relevant.
It just seems a bit callous, as if our midfield issues are more important than the health of someone who's given his all and has a genuine affection for the club. It's our way of showing respect for Fletch - whether that's acknowledged by him is irrelevant, surely?

'It's not as though he died' seems even more callous, really. Someone a couple of posts above you has the illness and has said himself how hard it'd be to have something like that essentially turn your life upside down, completely out of nowhere, and there's a few in this thread who have friends or family who contracted the illness and talk about how hard it is for them to get out of bed never mind do the kind put themselves through the intense physical exertion top athletes go through, and there's a concern that he might never come back to the same level as before and it may signal the end of his career at the age of just 27...so yeah, just a little inconsiderate IMO.

The Neviller

The surgery option would involve having part of the bowel removed, and a colostomy bag put in place. Would that be possible for a professional footballer to play again after that? I'm not sure.

The weight loss can be drastic, i'd almost guess he'll be on steroids now to boost his system, i think that is one of the main courses of treatment, so i guess he'd have to be away from football for steroid treatment (drug testing etc).

There is another course of treatment, my sister got it, that if i'm right is similar to the treatment of bowel cancer, whether this is an option i don't know, but i know it helped my sister a lot, but the treatment made her very ill initially.

I suppose any of those options is viable.

Awful for him though.

BaldwinLegend

Anyone suffer from this or knows someone who does? It seems to me its something you manage and live with.

I think it's congenital.

The weight loss is a symptom rather than a cause. Tony Evans tweeted that he apparently looked very thin when seen on the bench last week. I've been worried about that since he came back.

Presumably it affects how much you're able to eat... Poor guy.

redevil2

Why? It's not as though he's going to read it. I do wish him all the best, but discussing the implications of this on our team, and on our transfer policy, that doesn't do any harm, indeed it's better than 5 pages of 'every single united supporter' saying "Good luck Fletcher" and such. You always seem to be trying to big yourself up as some sort of superfan and spoiling for an argument with people.
What can I say? This kind of sentiment is uncalled for and seriously very very insensitive of you! What's wrong with pages and pages of well wishes from true United fans wishing him well and best of luck with speedy recovery?!! You can be concerned with our midfield, granted, but you cannot accused of people feeling disgusted how you reacted to the news of a United player who has serious health issue. Shame on you!

The Neviller

My sister has it, it's not great.

His weight loss could have been a symptom of it, rather than the cause. The illness causes frequency of defecation, for want of a better description. Not nice to see a family member suffer from it, my heart goes out to them. He'll be in lots of pain, frequently.

Best of luck to him.

BaldwinLegend

The surgery option would involve having part of the bowel removed, and a colostomy bag put in place. Would that be possible for a professional footballer to play again after that? I'm not sure.

The weight loss can be drastic, i'd almost guess he'll be on steroids now to boost his system, i think that is one of the main courses of treatment, so i guess he'd have to be away from football for steroid treatment (drug testing etc).

There is another course of treatment, my sister got it, that if i'm right is similar to the treatment of bowel cancer, whether this is an option i don't know, but i know it helped my sister a lot, but the treatment made her very ill initially.

I suppose any of those options is viable.

Awful for him though.
Good to know. I thought maybe partial removal would get mean you could get away without needing the bag maybe... I guess not though.

TheHorse'sMouth

Supports
Arsenal
Crohns is really bad. Hope he makes a full recovery and gets back to playing again.

kietotheworld

It just seems a bit callous, as if our midfield issues are more important than the health of someone who's given his all and has a genuine affection for the club. It's our way of showing respect for Fletch - whether that's acknowledged by him is irrelevant, surely?

'It's not as though he died' seems even more callous, really. Someone a couple of posts above you has the illness and has said himself how hard it'd be to have something like that essentially turn your life upside down, completely out of nowhere, and there's a few in this thread who have friends or family who contracted the illness and talk about how hard it is for them to get out of bed never mind do the kind put themselves through the intense physical exertion top athletes go through, and there's a concern that he might never come back to the same level as before and it may signal the end of his career at the age of just 27...so yeah, just a little inconsiderate IMO.
Inconsiderate of who? A man who's never going to read this?

If you want to show respect by saying 'I hope he's OK' then that's entirely up to you, I'm not trying to argue that you shouldn't do that, but to insist that others don't talk about the footballing impact, especially when his actions on the pitch are pretty much the only reason anyone here knows who he is, let alone cares if he gets an illness, is out of order.

I agree that it must be terrible for him, but this is a Manchester United forum, it's perfectly normal to discuss the impact of the injury on Manchester United.

redevil2

I sincerely hope that when you yourself have serious disease (not dead, mind), your employer or their stake holders' first thought was to wish you well again, and not going on and on about how they are going to replace you, at least showing you a little bit of sympathy. But I am in no way wishing disease upon you, but am just giving an illustration how you might want to be treated by your own fans if you were Fletch!