Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Will Trap start him in Poland though? He has seemed to have a liking for Gibson in the past.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Won't happen. He was nowhere near good enough for United, unfortunately.
He's already looking a lot better than the Championship player you predicted in post #3 of this thread. I wouldn't be surprised at all if people start to moan about him being moved on too soon, should he continue to progress at his current rate.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It's not really hard to be better than Rodwell, he's way too inconsistent.

Was skeptical of Gibson and Jelavic joining but both look like being really good signings so far, one thing that i've noticed about Gibson (his time at United maybe encouraged this) is that he sometimes tries to make too many Hollywood passes when he doesn't need to as he does the really simple things well and if he did that more often i think he would be good enough for United as a squad player.

Going on from LLMU saying he gives space for Fellaini to push further up is a blessing in disguise for us, Fellaini is brilliant at disrupting play and to have him doing that up the field allows us to get the one goal that we need as our defense is very good, Fellaini is decent at putting in low crosses in the box when he moves into those areas.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I can't access that. Says you have to be a member.
Ok, I'm a member there, will just copy some quotes

Gibson returns and we turn in our two best performances of the season. He's not a worldie, but the guy has Champions League experience and we got him for a pittance. Frees up Fellaini to do some real damage, which showed tonight. Just hope he stays fit for the rest of the season and particularly the semi final. Jelavic will get the highlights because he's a striker, but Gibson has turned the season around IMO with solid but sound basic football in midfield that gives us a totally different shape and allows us to attack with menace. Long may it continue.
This guy, I love him.

Seriously, allows other players to play better by doing what he does best - just playing some simple football.
What a bargain he has been. Absolutely solid and hardworking in the midfield!
A lot more to come from this lad, we havnt seen the best of him, he has more in his locker and is a better player then we have seen as of yet!
I'm a lot more confident with him in the side. He made one or two gaffs tonight but his experience in the middle of the park is absolutely invaluable. Him and Felli are turning into a very effective central partnership.

Great buy from Moyes.
His presence in the side is a 'catalyst' - doesn't do anything mega himself, but enables the rest of the magic to happen.
He gives us presence and balance and other intangible stuff the empiricists will have to learn to appreciate.

It could all be coincidence, I suppose, but when he's in the team > we do well. It's time to stop the deep analysis about what his failings are until that fact changes.
Already one of the first names on the team sheet for me. He's the first proper center mid we've had for years, really, and it does wonders for the shape of the side. I can see him getting a decent haul of goals over a full season if he's starting the majority of games and though he doesn't always pull them off he has a better eye for a through ball than anyone else in the side.

This from someone who was embarressed to be receiving texts from RS mates saying we'd signed him in January. Moyes is a confounding manager some times, but he's displayed his admirable frugality and eye for a player again with Gibson.
He's twice or three times more influential than Rodwell. At least his gets stuck in, looks to play the ball forward and has composure. He is what he is...a steadying role in midfield, good positional sense, a good pass and a cracking shot. True, he is no world beater, but if having him in there allows Felli to become the world beater he keeps threatening to be, then it's really good balance.

Scott Parker is no world beater either, but spurs are a much better team when he is playing.
Really nice to see him play well for Everton. That twitter episode was a fecking disgrace.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Thanks KM, and you are right about the twitter thing. Those numpties ain't really fans at all. Same as cocks that boo their team off when things start to go badly. Thankfully these things don't happen too often but when Fergie leaves and performances start to deteriorate (as the probably will) then you will see more of the scum crawling out from the woodwork with their own version of 'support'.

sajeev

Wow! Really pleased to see those posts from the Everton forum. I hope he does really well for them. There were times here when you could see that he could deal with the pressure of the big occasion, and perform. However, more often than not, he didn't seem to perform to the standard required here. He wasn't bad, but when most people form an opinion they seem to only pick up those things which confirm the opinion, and as a result judging by forum posts it seemed that he did worse than he did.

Bread

I hope there is a good reception when his name is read out at Old Trafford in a few weeks, never deserved half the abuse he was given by our fans.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Happy for him as well. Was never going to make it here IMO, got his head down and took the opportunities that came his way. Glad he is doing well at Everton and getting first team football.

Hope he gets a good reception when they play us.

Sylar

He scored the winner against City. Thats the largest cheer hes had (possibly louder than the goal against Munich :lol:)

I like him and glad hes doing well. Still cant believe he got stick from "united fans" when he went on Twitter. Hope he has a good career with them and wins the FA Cup this season.

mswiss

Happy he's doing well, i always thought he was a great squad player for us, and still think that for his roll in the team he did a great job. Hell do well at everton, and he will definitely improve playing every week.

Smores

Defended him many times on here. I remember more than a few posts saying he was championship quality, probably the same people who slated Evans. fecking bonkers

Chabon

Thanks KM, and you are right about the twitter thing. Those numpties ain't really fans at all. Same as cocks that boo their team off when things start to go badly. Thankfully these things don't happen too often but when Fergie leaves and performances start to deteriorate (as the probably will) then you will see more of the scum crawling out from the woodwork with their own version of 'support'.
There was a United fan on the world football phone in a couple of weeks who said we should sell Carrick and Evans. The fact that he wasn't from the area somehow made it even worse, wanted to phone in and tell him to feck off and support someone else. Then I remembered I was listening to a podcast.

Gibson was always going to have a great career in the premier league, you don't get to play for Manchester United 60 times unless you're hugely talented.

I hope there's a clause in his contract saying he can't play against us this season. That worked out pretty well when we sold Tim Howard to Everton and we beat them 4-2 at Goodison on the way to the title on 2007.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
There's been quite a bit of talk over the last few summers about us signing Rodwell. This makes me think that this ain't such a hot idea.
When he first 'broke' into the Everton team, people overhyped him because he was English (as usual). If he really did have all that potential, he would not be at Everton now. However, over the seasons we have seen that he's injury prone and does not impose himself on games. More times than not, I've seen him let games pass him by completely. He doesn't seem to have the hunger to want the ball, and his performances always seems that he's just there to make the numbers.

Brophs

The One and Only
I hope there's a clause in his contract saying he can't play against us this season. That worked out pretty well when we sold Tim Howard to Everton and we beat them 4-2 at Goodison on the way to the title on 2007.
You can't do that. Moyes almost got himself into bother when he suggested there was a gentleman's agreement not to play Saha.

Liam147

On Probation
You can't do that. Moyes almost got himself into bother when he suggested there was a gentleman's agreement not to play Saha.
Perhaps not officially, but Fergie might have said, "Look, to 'prove' there's nothing going on, if we've won the game, feel free to bring him on." Nothing has to be said beforehand about it, and both parties can deny any wrongdoing.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Delighted for him. I really liked him at United. He was just abit of a later developer, like Ian Wright or Darren Fletcher. He would still have performed a very useful role in our squad this season, but a player of his class deserves consistant first team football at a respected and 'tier 2' level club. It will sound sound patronising and its not mean to be at all, but only a few are of Manchester Uited quality. But just because he did not quite make that grade does not preclude him from being a great player.

For now, he has found the right level to flourish .... into the future, he can stay at that level, or more likely, in 2 0r 3 years time, when at his peak, I would not be surprised to see him back at an' tier 1' side in the PL or somewhere in Europe. Remember haw many of us laugahed at Modric a few years ago .... No reason why Gibson cant use that as a blueprint for his own career developemnt. You never know, he might end up back where he learnt his trade.

Amir

He would still have performed a very useful role in our squad this season
Honestly, not that much. With Carrick a regular starter, I wouldn't have wanted to see Gibson alongside him.

Nice to see him doing well, the abuse he got was embarrassing. He's found the level in which he can shine, which was never going to happen at United.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
There's been quite a bit of talk over the last few summers about us signing Rodwell. This makes me think that this ain't such a hot idea.
He made a good start to his Everton career and looked like a very promising player, however we made the right decision not to spend a lot of money on him. Doesn't seem to have developed at all and won't go too far.

acnumber9

Surely a little more time in his Everton career is needed to declare he has found his level or is flourishing?

decorativeed

I thought there was some controversy about him not playing Howard in the 4-2 in 2006/07 after the loan was made permanent too.

Devilton

Knew he would do well at Everton. He's found his level there, just like Ben Foster found his. There was never any doubt he was a good player. He just wasn't good enough for United. When we discuss players here, the context is always united.

Remove the context and the perspective definitely changes.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Thanks, KM. Always good to get insight from another clubs fans. Sometimes we're so far up our own arses on here, we can't see the wood for the trees (if that's not too disturbing a mixed metaphor). Some shameful abuse directed towards Gibbo on here. Could never see what he did to merit such treatment. Through the ranks, good pro, decent guy. Really happy he's made such a good start. Sometimes, they just need to feel loved, don't they?

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
I think he's doing well for them and will continue to do well for them.

He's a good player, not good enough for Utd but he has alot to offer a side like Everton.

acnumber9

Neither of those statements mean a whole lot but he's doing very well for Everton. Playing Premier League football. This is something a lot of people - including you - implied was beyond him when he was still at United. This is obviously worthy of comment.
When did I imply he couldn't play Premier League football? If you're going to make a statement, back it up.

acnumber9

Neither of those statements mean a whole lot but he's doing very well for Everton. Playing Premier League football. This is something a lot of people - including you - implied was beyond him when he was still at United. This is obviously worthy of comment.
I'm still waiting on you backing this up or admitting you were wrong. I guess I'll be waiting a long time.

Laphroaig

His last loss in the league was April 3rd 2010 (23 games). He hasn't lost a game for Everton, after 10 games for them (7-3-0).