Darwin Núñez | Liverpool player | Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shish

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Plenty of reasons to criticise Darwin beyond a simple filter. Also have found it hilarious on social media to see Man City plastic accounts going in on a fake picture when their club literally tried to make out like they'd won a quadruple by including the community shield two years ago.

Also very funny to see people tying themselves in knots over 45 minutes in a match that's somewhere between a preseason friendly and a league cup match. If that's enough to change or validate your opinion over Darwin, your opinion is worthless.

Member 101269

Of course it is not perfect. Just thought figgins looks a bit silly trouncing out a list of failed signings that is actually not that bad for a list of failed signings before undertaking a truly weird venture of trying to say our good signings weren't that good (my favourite was inability to comment on Wijnaldum. What in the actual).
So, I'm silly for questioning failed signing, but they're failed signings. Oh the logic..

Your location is Disney Land?

Again, I'll remind you that one of yours PickledRed was overstating your signings under Klopp, at best you're around 50/50 successful signings. More recently, there is little evidence of precision and excellent recruiting in comparison to the very short period of excellent recruitment.

Given Liverpool’s upturn in fortunes has been heavily to do with scouting precision and excellent recruitment I’m finding it surprising that there’s such conviction that Núñez was the wrong buy. There’s enough evidence to suggest Núñez is in good hands and the process works.

Last edited by a moderator:

Member 101269

No one is surprised. It's all on par with the rest of your posts. ;)
you're posting you know everyone's views :lol: sadly you miss that despite objections they to my comment on failures they agree they're failures

el_loco_bielsa

Supports
liverpool
Nah I say keep it going. I say it’s gonna get bumped throughout the season until it gets locked.
I seem to remember a similar start to the mane thread. He went from an absolute overpriced donkey when Liverpool signed him to the second coming of garrincha.

As for the mirth when Salah was signed for what the caff deemed a eyewatering fee on the basis of ‘one outlier season’ at roma….

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI
I have to say I agree.

As much as I would like to make out he looks crap, I quite like the look of him.
What's not to like?
* young, eager and hard-working - check
* decent height, strong and fast - check
* good at finding space and losing his marker - check
* decisive and quick at taking shots- check
* scores goals - check
* create chance for team mates - check
* not on gigantic salary package, room for growth - check

Sounds of the Aquarium

Yes he is a complete donkey at times but with his attitude, pace and positional awareness coupled with the fact he has Robertson , TAA, Salah and Diaz as a supply line he will score a lot of goals this season.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
As a Benfica fan, I've already covered Darwin way before his transfer to Liverpool. It's true that he isn't a finished product, but the potential is there.
If he improves his sometimes erratic ball control and improves his composure he will become Liverpool starlet, because in terms of technical, physical and tactical qualities he is amazingly good.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
As a Benfica fan, I've already covered Darwin way before his transfer to Liverpool. It's true that he isn't a finished product, but the potential is there.
If he improves his sometimes erratic ball control and improves his composure he will become Liverpool starlet, because in terms of technical, physical and tactical qualities he is amazingly good.
Agree and agree

I will see his development under Klopp and his staff. At least, he has great attitude in the game( pace too).

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Is this a popular opinion amongst Benfica fans?

There seemed to be a swell of people (who apparently watched a lot of Benfica) calling him pretty crap and a bit of a circle jerk developing after the friendlies about how they called it etc.

Does that go with the sentiments of the Benfica support?

From what I've seen he's most definitely inconsistent in his hold up play/ his first touch/ link up play but he's absolutely relentless.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan

There seemed to be a swell of people (who apparently watched a lot of Benfica) calling him pretty crap and a bit of a circle jerk developing after the friendlies about how they called it etc.

From what I've seen he's most definitely inconsistent in his hold up play/ his first touch/ link up play but he's absolutely relentless.
Yeah, his hold up play/ first touch and link up need to improve. It’s not his strengths.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica

Benfica fanbase is very bipolar overall. When the team wins, everybody is a world class player, when the team looses everyone's crap.
But last season the opinion is that Darwin is a very gifted player and what he shown on the second half of the season was amazing: he really blossomed and we were a lot of times a one man team in most of games, relying on Darwin pace and dribbling to cause havoc on the opposition.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Benfica fanbase is very bipolar overall. When the team wins, everybody is a world class player, when the team looses everyone's crap.
But last season the opinion is that Darwin is a very gifted player and what he shown on the second half of the season was amazing: he really blossomed and we were a lot of times a one man team in most of games, relying on Darwin pace and dribbling to cause havoc on the opposition.
Thanks for the informed feedback!

I didn't know he even existed before last season (Unlucky to miss seeing him in last year's Copa due to injury) so I'm playing catch-up.

Interesting to see what happens for him this season for both Liverpool and Uruguay (Who are crying out for a Suarez/Cavani replacement).

Member 101269

Ive seen the types of goals he scores, it seems he likes the ball played in front of him, like Lukaku. What is some thinking about how he performs with different types of passes to him?

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Ive seen the types of goals he scores, it seems he likes the ball played in front of him, like Lukaku. What is some thinking about how he performs with different types of passes to him?
Inconsistency is still an issue: I've seen him scoring difficult goals and miss easy goals. He's a different player than Lukaku, though. He is a very determined and aggressive player when offball and actually likes to come deep and drive the ball forward.
He usually drifts to the left though.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Inconsistency is still an issue: I've seen him scoring difficult goals and miss easy goals. He's a different player than Lukaku, though. He is a very determined and aggressive player when offball and actually likes to come deep and drive the ball forward.
He usually drifts to the left though.
Sounds like Mane.

RVN1991

Yes he is a complete donkey at times but with his attitude, pace and positional awareness coupled with the fact he has Robertson , TAA, Salah and Diaz as a supply line he will score a lot of goals this season.
Agreed. The wank fest in here after he showed some poor touches was a little embarrassing, the guy doesn't have to be Zidane on the ball but he has key attributes that Klopp looks for in his players, he's fast, aggressive off the ball, is quite physical, his finishing seems a little erratic but considering how many chances Liverpool create, and most importantly for him the type of chances, he'll get a good amount of goals for them for sure.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
What you think, Bobby starts the first match then Nunez against Palace? If they both do well that third game…
Diaz and Salah have to be first picks while we're only playing a game a week. They occupy two or three defenders at a time without giving the ball away.

So I think you're right, Bobby first, then Nunez the next two I reckon. My body is ready to triple captain up Nunez in that third game.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
He's a strange player isn't he?

Very clumsy, finishing isn't the best but he causes havoc in the opposition box. He'll score plenty of goals, half of which I'm sure even he will have no idea how :lol:

Chief123

You’ll wait a long time to see a clumsier goal and assist as his contributions so far in this match. He really is a very ungainly footballer.
I’m not even sure why they’ve given him the goal! It was off target till defender touched it. The assist was just a heavy touch :lol:

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
He's definitely rough around the edges but Liverpool look 10x more dangerous with him up front instead of Firmino.

I thought at times last season that Liverpool needed some "Chaos" in the box when they struggle to break down a defence.

They got it.

I don't think he will improve on the technical aspects much though.

Chief123

Like I said, he'll be a nuisance for everyone.
He’s going to be a nuisance for sure. He reminds me of Drogba’s first season where he was a handful and comical.

I think we’ll see lots of comical moments with Nunez along with some crucial goals. Plenty of bumping on this thread to come.

Dipper

#7 Swiftie
Supports
Liverpool
He's a strange player isn't he?

Very clumsy, finishing isn't the best but he causes havoc in the opposition box. He'll score plenty of goals, half of which I'm sure even he will have no idea how :lol:
Saw someone on Reddit describe him as looking like someone who accidentally found himself in a game of football :lol:

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Did anyone just see the sequence from the 85th minute to the 86th minute? The guy literally can’t even control a ball, his movement is his only asset. Once teams start to man mark him, they’ll nullify it. Donkey.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
He’s not going to be this lucky with the end product all the time but if he’ll keep getting into those positions, he’s going to get tons of chances.

I expect tons of hilarious misses and brainfarts from him though.

Chief123

Did anyone just see the sequence from the 85th minute to the 86th minute? The guy literally can’t even control a ball, his movement is his only asset. Once teams start to man mark him, they’ll nullify it. Donkey.
Yeah that was amusing to see! Defo Lukakus brother.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I still think the Lukaku comp is spot on for Darwin. Very limited technically. Cant control a ball, cant pass a ball, and can barely run with the ball. HOWEVER just like Lukaku he is a physical specimen who has good positioning and scored lots of goals.

You can make fun of Lukaku all day but he has always scored goals consistently and I think that might apply to Darwin.

Now if you compare Darwin to the last 3 TOP Uruguyan strikers, Forlan, Suarez, and Cavani he is literally nowhere near or close to their ability IMO.