View full 2014-15 profile

6.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

acnumber9

When you see the replay when Berahinho goes through he actually takes a step backwards even closer to his line. I do wonder if it's coached into him or he doesn't like coming off his line for whatever reason. If I was a striker though I'd be wanting a keeper backing away in one on ones.

Revan

Assumptionman
One on ones are a weakness of his, of that there is no doubt. Thisis one area where Neuer is vastly superior to him.
Pretty much every keeper is better than him on one on ones chances. He should really fix that part of the game, otherwise the likes of Neuer and Courtuis will always be better than him.

About those type of chances, I think that Valdez might be the best one I have ever seen. Neuer, Buffon, Schmeichel and Casillas were all great too. Generally great keepers are good at it, with De Gea being the exception. If the defense is great, it won't matter that much but when you have two David Luiz's above you on defense, then really being good at it matters.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
When you see the replay when Berahinho goes through he actually takes a step backwards even closer to his line. I do wonder if it's coached into him or he doesn't like coming off his line for whatever reason. If I was a striker though I'd be wanting a keeper backing away in one on ones.
Actually, you're spot on. I misremembered the incident. He takes several steps backwards as Berahino approaches the box. Is standing on his 6 yard box when the ball goes past him. After last weeks heroics it's really frustrating to see him getting the basics wrong again. FFS...

EDIT: can't get the fecking thing to embed. here's a link

Last edited:

thejtrain

I don't see one on ones as his weakness, in fact I don't see many a keeper better at that than him. A few of his very best saves have come from the one-on-ones like with Suarez, Osman last week and so on. I do agree that he's gotta make himself bigger and make it a lot tougher for the striker in those situations, he's rather relying too much on reflexes I think.

El Zoido

It's even worse if you close the gap and the player goes around you. A player should score a one on one 100% of the time, any time he doesn't, the blame lies solely with the striker.

acnumber9

It's even worse if you close the gap and the player goes around you. A player should score a one on one 100% of the time, any time he doesn't, the blame lies solely with the striker.
It's not though. You're actually forcing the striker to make a decision if you come out. As it is he can run through unimpeded with all the time in the world to pick your spot. The striker actually gave De Gea a chance by hitting it so early.

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
'I'm happy here' - De Gea dismisses Real Madrid links

David de Gea has brushed off links with a move to Real Madrid, insisting he is happy at Manchester United.

The Spanish goalkeeper, who joined the Reds from Atletico Madrid in 2011, has overcome an inauspicious start to his Old Trafford career to become a reliable performer between the sticks.

And his impressive form has recently seen him touted as a potential replacement for Iker Casillas at the Santiago Bernabeu.

However, when asked about the rumours by Kicker , the 23-year-old said:
“[They are] just rumours. I'm happy here.”
De Gea has been one of few United stars to avoid criticism during a difficult start to the new season under new boss Louis van Gaal.

But the former Atletico star believes things will get better as the Reds push for a return to the top four.

"Starting problems are quite normal under a new coach with a complete new concept,” he continued.

“That's a process and Van Gaal always says that we will improve, but it takes time. But without a doubt, United have to reach the Champions League again."

De Gea also underlined the importance of Sir Alex Ferguson's support during a run of patchy early form following his move to United.

"It was a difficult time but Sir Alex always backed me. He saved me from criticism and was patient until I was ripe for United,” he added.

"Today I'm thankful for that [the criticism]. That made me stronger. Goalkeeper is tricky position. Mistakes are human. It's about being up to that. If you make mistakes you will have to improve. Now I'm better."

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/im-happy-here---de-7986473

Mark_GrumpyLion

'I'm happy here' - De Gea dismisses Real Madrid links

David de Gea has brushed off links with a move to Real Madrid, insisting he is happy at Manchester United.

The Spanish goalkeeper, who joined the Reds from Atletico Madrid in 2011, has overcome an inauspicious start to his Old Trafford career to become a reliable performer between the sticks.

And his impressive form has recently seen him touted as a potential replacement for Iker Casillas at the Santiago Bernabeu.

However, when asked about the rumours by Kicker , the 23-year-old said:

De Gea has been one of few United stars to avoid criticism during a difficult start to the new season under new boss Louis van Gaal.

But the former Atletico star believes things will get better as the Reds push for a return to the top four.

De Gea also underlined the importance of Sir Alex Ferguson's support during a run of patchy early form following his move to United.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/im-happy-here---de-7986473
Good news. I would hate to lose him. Don't get me wrong, I wish the lad the best, but we need him.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Brilliant keeper. Nothing between him and Courtois, both part of the top 3 keepers in the word by far.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
A couple of fantastic saves today. After his disappoint start, he's hitting his best form again.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Made the two best saves of the game. Neville barely even mentioned anything he did, but gave Courtois the MOTM and gushed over everything he did, including a fairly simple punch from a cross. I'm not doubting Courtois' quality, and he was good today, but De Gea kept us in it on two or three occasions.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Superb. Played better than Courtois for me. Both quality keepers but with the lack of protection from the defenders, I think De Gea's playing better than Courtois.

Get him the new contract....

jb8521

Anybody else notice him pointing to the other side of the goals when Hazard got in for the one on one?

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Van Gaal in the presser just called him fantastic.

No worries with him at all. Just sign a contract

Glanville95

Coming into his own after a slow start. Wasn't great against West Brom, but after his performance today his saves against Everton really could prove as a catalyst for an upsurge in form. Incredible save against Hazard too and dominated his area.

binary bot
:lol: I didn't want to be too harsh on Neville again but that's what it sounds like sometimes, almost brushed aside the save because Courtois commands his box.

FromTheBench

To be fair Dave doesn't have Gary Neville holding him up so he can suck his balls.
I think with us lacking in height on set pieces he really should be helping out in coming out and catching/punching out more balls. Courtois always is on front foot while De Gea seems to stick to his line more. Think he lacks in frame and height and hence has struggled in that department previously but is something he needs to grow into.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Said both in commentary, whilst at the same time choking his cock when Courtois caught a floated cross.
Been a bit tired with some of Neville's agendas when it comes to his United punditry recently.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Epic save from Hazard, need to see more of that, deserved more from the resulting corner :(

Stringer

Neville's infatuation with Courtois was embarrassing. Things like catching the ball were suddenly the hallmark of a great goalkeeper.