Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I thought his kicking was good. Flawless under the high ball too. It was the sort of game he might have struggled in when he first joined us. Amazing how rarely he punches the ball this season. Catches the ball whenever possible. Really starting to command his area. Great to see.

Mersault

So when will he get a new contract? Hope it's at least a 5 year deal.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
A new contract ought to have been offered and signed in the summer, this news about Valdes only increased the uncertainty yet further.

These years of adapting to the league and developing as a keeper just to sell him [and at his age too]?

Redo91

What makes you think that? There are plenty of teams in world football with top class back-up goalkeepers. Cech at Chelsea, Ter Stregen at Barca, Reina at Bayern (not brilliant but a good back-up) and Navas at Real. No idea why people are assuming Valdes has been brought in to replace De Gea, especially when he has signed an 18 month deal (surely it would be longer if he is to be our future 1st choice).

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
A new contract ought to have been offered and signed in the summer, this news about Valdes only increased the uncertainty yet further.

These years of adapting to the league and developing as a keeper just to sell him [and at his age too]?
If he's off he 's off. It'll be his own decision and feck all the club can do about it, other than try and get as big a fee as possible.

All very well saying a contract should have been offered and signed but there's only one half of that equation that the club is responsible for.

R'hllor

Well by reading some posts,think we should make another DDG thread where we can say our thanks for everything he did and our goodbyes...this place can be so insane sometimes.

bishblaize

What makes you think that? There are plenty of teams in world football with top class back-up goalkeepers. Cech at Chelsea, Ter Stregen at Barca, Reina at Bayern (not brilliant but a good back-up) and Navas at Real. No idea why people are assuming Valdes has been brought in to replace De Gea, especially when he has signed an 18 month deal (surely it would be longer if he is to be our future 1st choice).
Agreed. Would Ed Woodward really be so stupid as to have both goalkeepers end their contract at the same time?

Actually....

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
If he's off he 's off. It'll be his own decision and feck all the club can do about it, other than try and get as big a fee as possible.

All very well saying a contract should have been offered and signed but there's only one half of that equation that the club is responsible for.
By some accounts the club have offered him a new contract which he and his agent turned down. As you say it takes two parties to agree to a contract, it not like the club can force David to sign. If he goes, it will be down to his own choices.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Agreed. Would Ed Woodward really be so stupid as to have both goalkeepers end their contract at the same time?

Actually....
Well you'd have to assume the more likely (negative) scenario is that they already know he won't sign one and is probably out the door this summer, so they're just covering their asses for when that happens.

(mind you, I don't think that is the case and am still relatively confident we'll get him tied down)

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
You speak as if the club did its best but ultimately failed to secure his services, perhaps that will be the reality come the summer however i'm not aware of any evidence to support that belief presently. It may be that the club is confident of its ability to get De Gea to sign, or alternatively a policy has been decided upon in which he becomes a saleable asset.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
You speak as if the club did its best but ultimately failed to secure his services, perhaps that will be the reality come the summer however i'm not aware of any evidence to support that belief presently. It may be that the club is confident of its ability to get De Gea to sign, or alternatively a policy has been decided upon in which he becomes a saleable asset.
You speak as if they didn't. Where the evidence to support your opinion?

In the absence of any evidence, what's the most likely scenario?

That the club has beed doing everything possible to retain the services of one of the most highly rated young keepers in Europe. Someone they paid more to sign than any other keeper ever. Someone who was both the Players' Player of the Year and Fans' Player of the Year in the season just gone.

Or they haven't?

I know what seems the most likely to me.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
You speak as if they didn't. Where the evidence to support your opinion?

In the absence of any evidence, what's the most likely scenario?

That the club has beed doing everything possible to retain the services of one of the most highly rated young keepers in Europe. Someone they paid more to sign than any other keeper ever. Someone who was both the Players' Player of the Year and Fans' Player of the Year in the season just gone.

Or they haven't?

I know what seems the most likely to me.
*shrugs* I suppose time will tell, most of this being mere speculation after all. I don't intend to become too absorbed by it myself.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
*shrugs* I suppose time will tell, most of this being mere speculation after all. I don't intend to become too absorbed by it myself.
Me neither. I'll be really dissappointed if he leaves but won't be demanding anyone's head. If Madrid come sniffing for a young Spanish international - with a long-term Madrileno girlfriend - then we're fighting an uphill battle from the outset.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Me neither. I'll be really dissappointed if he leaves but won't be demanding anyone's head. If Madrid come sniffing for a young Spanish international - with a long-term Madrileno girlfriend - then we're fighting an uphill battle from the outset.

Also, not sure how wide spread it was, but I remember there being some against signing him using the reasoning that he would most likely want to move back to Spain about the time he was hitting his peak.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
If he wants to leave, then he wants to leave. My concern is that whether we sell him for £10million or £100million, it's still just as impossible to replace him. Madrid could give us Bale and Ronaldo in return, but we are still no closer to getting ourselves a goalkeeper who is as good as De Gea. We would get no worthy value from selling him.

Based on very little, I believe he will stay for another few years. He seems to love it here, and he has said himself that he feels loved.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
I'd imagine that most if not all on here expected a serious attempt to be made sooner or later, only with the hope that this might be prevented for a further year or two. Which it may yet for all the supporters know at this point.

Contrary to my earlier post a person might commend the club for its succession planning. How well or swiftly Valdes will take to the league i'm not at all sure, a start in the FA Cup is now one prospect though.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If he wants to leave, then he wants to leave. My concern is that whether we sell him for £10million or £100million, it's still just as impossible to replace him. Madrid could give us Bale and Ronaldo in return, but we are still no closer to getting ourselves a goalkeeper who is as good as De Gea. We would get no worthy value from selling him.

Based on very little, I believe he will stay for another few years. He seems to love it here, and he has said himself that he feels loved.
We could buy Scuffet, i heard that he was the next Buffon. If De Gea leaves and Bale or Modric or Varane come to us, i will be able to sleep.

imperi

Signing Valdes probably is a signal to DDG, that we will manage without him, to weaken his bargaining position somehow and not to be forced to pay enormous wages. A club like us shouldn't want to be pushed around by players. Ofcourse we need a second gk, but this may be a little overkill, getting a gk that won practically everything there is, multiple times.

I am worried that this may be DDG' last season playing at OT.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I'd imagine that most if not all on here expected a serious attempt to be made sooner or later, only with the hope that this might be prevented for a further year or two. Which it may yet for all the supporters know at this point.

Contrary to my earlier post a person might commend the club for its succession planning. How well or swiftly Valdes will take to the league i'm not at all sure, a start in the FA Cup is now one prospect though.
I reckon a lot depends on how things pan out at Madrid. I don't watch much Spanish football but I've heard that Casillas is having a bit of a return to form. He's still relatively young and obviously a huge personality at the club. We should all hope his career has an indian summer!

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Valdes was a bit too shaky to end his career at Barca for me to have confidence in him as a full time #1 in the English league.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I reckon a lot depends on how things pan out at Madrid. I don't watch much Spanish football but I've heard that Casillas is having a bit of a return to form. He's still relatively young and obviously a huge personality at the club. We should all hope his career has an indian summer!
He's 33, so if he is returning to form now than he could have another half decade or so if he keeps that form up. Hopefully he will.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I don't think we have offered him enough yet, I guess we are still nogotiating. In the end we should be able to make an offer to him which he just cannot refuse and Madrid cannot match. Madrid's other young players are nowhere close to 120/140 k we should be offering him at least. And as far as I know even Casillas doesn't earn more than 120 k (but not sure if that is gross or net maybe @Raul Madrid or @jojojo know better).
He could also go back to Atletico but they can't afford to pay him that much either.
Hell if it has to be then we should even offer him 160-180 k to keep him, if anyone deserves it it's him.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I don't think we have offered him enough yet, I guess we are still nogotiating. In the end we should be able to make an offer to him which he just cannot refuse and Madrid cannot match. Madrid's other young players are nowhere close to 120/140 k we should be offering him at least. And as far as I know even Casillas doesn't earn more than 120 k (but not sure if that is gross or net maybe @Raul Madrid or @jojojo know better).
He could also go back to Atletico but they can't afford to pay him that much either.
Hell if it has to be then we should even offer him 160-180 k to keep him, if anyone deserves it it's him.
I'd be perfectly willing to hit the £200k barrier in order to keep him. A lot, yes, but he's top quality right now, is young, and we're not going to get anyone better.

united_99

I'd be perfectly willing to hit the £200k barrier in order to keep him. A lot, yes, but he's top quality right now, is young, and we're not going to get anyone better.
Absolutely!

ottosec

It's an important contract for him, maybe he doesn't want to rush it. If he signs, it pretty much means that he will be here until he's 30, because we're never going to sell.

I doubt it's a money problem, considering how we splash money under Woodward, not to mention that he is one of the best and we generally pay players the money they deserve. I'm guessing only impediment could be that his girlfriend lives in Madrid. It's a very important decision for both of them and they need to think it through.

Adebesi

I think offering him more money is the wrong approach. Woodward should be setting a honey trap for this Edurne Garcia, and making damn sure she gets stuck in it. Trick her into shagging Diego Costa and get some photos of it, or better still, ensure De Gea himself walks in on it. Provide a shoulder to cry on and set him up with a nice Lancashire bird who loves nothing more than freezing wind and driving rain. Hey presto, any incentive to leave the North West of England is removed, he signs a new contract on reasonable wages and everyone is a winner. Plus, he'll always be out to play well against Costa.

ottosec

I think offering him more money is the wrong approach. Woodward should be setting a honey trap for this Edurne Garcia, and making damn sure she gets stuck in it. Trick her into shagging Diego Costa and get some photos of it, or better still, ensure De Gea himself walks in on it. Provide a shoulder to cry on and set him up with a nice Lancashire bird who loves nothing more than freezing wind and driving rain. Hey presto, any incentive to leave the North West of England is removed, he signs a new contract on reasonable wages and everyone is a winner. Plus, he'll always be out to play well against Costa.
:lol:

united_99

:lol: Costa is too ugly for Edurne!! You have to suggest someone else ...

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
You jest but I remember thinking that when Ronaldo hooked up with that sexy northern lass with the big kahunas (Gemma something?) his United future hinged on the state of their relationship. Sure enough, they split up and next thing you know...

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Casillas is believed to be on 6m euros (net) just over 12m gross. About £200k/week in UK terms.