View full 2014-15 profile

6.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Cmz'

Looking back at the game I thought he could've done better on the first goal, shouldn't have been beaten at his near post imo

prarek

Looking back at the game I thought he could've done better on the first goal, shouldn't have been beaten at his near post imo
That's a bit harsh. Ozil was looking for Monreal to square the ball in. De Gea was at a positional disadvantage. Monreal had two very good options, either square the ball to an on rushing Ozil or just go alone. In the end it was a very good finish from literally 3 yards out. Hard to stop those.

Sylar

His passing under pressure is fantastic. We need an outfield version of him.

Or just put him outfield and put Valdes in goal.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
Every great performance by him and shit performance by the rest of the team makes me more convinced he won't be here next season :( feck Falcao off and give his wages to De Gea, Woody.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
That's a bit harsh. Ozil was looking for Monreal to square the ball in. De Gea was at a positional disadvantage. Monreal had two very good options, either square the ball to an on rushing Ozil or just go alone. In the end it was a very good finish from literally 3 yards out. Hard to stop those.

I usually feel getting beaten at the first post is usually the keeper's fault, but for the reasons you've listed, this was one of the rare cases where there was really no fault on his part. He really couldn't do much else. That pic annoys me watching our defence all over the place running, they have the tactical awareness of headless chickens.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United

This picture illustrates one thing, and that is the absurd positioning from Valencia. Not even on the screen...

RuudTom83

De Gea will be playing in the CL next season...I'm 100% certain of that!

I'm just not sure what team he will be playing for!

SirAF

Ageist
De Gea will be playing in the CL next season...I'm 100% certain of that!

I'm just not sure what team he will be playing for!
We'd be better off keeping him another year to get us back into the CL if we miss out again this season. Even if that means that he'll leave for nothing.

Di Maria's angel

You know the fullback isn't supposed to track his opposite number, right? Valencia's man was Sanchez. Also not on the screen.
Track to a certain extent, though. Valencia was charging at Sanchez towards the middle of the pitch, just before they scored.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Track to a certain extent, though. Valencia was charging at Sanchez towards the middle of the pitch, just before they scored.
That was his job, though. Apart from the usual requirement of a fullback to mark his winger, he seemed to have a brief yesterday to man mark Sanchez wherever he went. Was following him all over the pitch.

Di Maria's angel

That was his job, though. Apart from the usual requirement of a fullback to mark his winger, he seemed to have a brief yesterday to man mark Sanchez wherever he went. Was following him all over the pitch.
I don't want to make this into a huge debate about Valencia, for obvious reasons. However, you should re-watch the goal. His persistent, and needless, tracking of Sanchez takes him out of position and he doesn't bother getting back.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I don't want to make this into a huge debate about Valencia, for obvious reasons. However, you should re-watch the goal. His persistent, and needless, tracking of Sanchez takes him out of position and he doesn't bother getting back.

Dunno about "needless" but that goal certainly wouldn't have happened if the rest of our team had been as peristent in their tracking of the players they were supposed to mark.

But yeah, David De gea.

EDIT: although looking at that vid he had actually picked up Ozil right before he got drawn into making a tackle. Don't think he had any choice but to make the tackle from there either. The ox was about to get clean through on goal.

Last edited:

jeff_goldblum

I do think De Gea could have done better for the first goal. He didn't have an ideal starting position when the pass was played but if you watch the clip he seems to appeal for offside for a split second before moving to close Monreal down. He's clearly seen the pass and reacted to it, or else he'd not be appealing to the linesman, so for me he has to play to the whistle and get straight out. He may have had no chance of saving it either way but you never know.

He was exemplary the rest of the game though. I don't blame him for losing to Welbeck in a footrace for the second, with hindsight you'd say that taking into account Welbeck's pace and his poor finishing it'd have been best to take your chances with a one-on-one, but in a game situation you don't have time to rationalise things like that.

Di Maria's angel

I do think De Gea could have done better for the first goal. He didn't have an ideal starting position when the pass was played but if you watch the clip he seems to appeal for offside for a split second before moving to close Monreal down. He's clearly seen the pass and reacted to it, or else he'd not be appealing to the linesman, so for me he has to play to the whistle and get straight out. He may have had no chance of saving it either way but you never know.
I guess, with the standards he's set himself, he, maybe, should have saved it. It's that type of save, in that 1v1 situation, he's become renowned for.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
Think it actually glanced in off the post. He cheated a bit expecting the finish across his body but of course doing that is also what helped him stop the Sanchez shot in ET

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Casillas having a shocker can't be good news for us wanting to hold onto DDG

Jacob

If he wins player of the year twice in a row, our outfield players should hang their heads in shame. Has that ever happened, in any club ever, that a goalie wins player of the year back to back?

Raw

If he wins player of the year twice in a row, our outfield players should hang their heads in shame. Has that ever happened, in any club ever, that a goalie wins player of the year back to back?
Good shout for the league's POTY if he single-handedly gets us in the top 4.

The White Pele

He's a dead cert to win our player of the year again. It's even more clear cut than last year IMO as I think he's gone to another level this season.

m1tch

If he wins player of the year twice in a row, our outfield players should hang their heads in shame.
As much as he deserves it, this is absolutely true. For none of our attacking players to be even close to being considered ahead of him speaks volumes for their performances.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
The reality is that if our form continues as it has we will find it difficult to retain players as talented as de Gea.

Silverman

It is imperative that we keep him. If we make top 4 then I think he'll stay if we don't then we will have to persuade him that we are going to have to sign some quality to show him we want to get back to the top.

ZDwyr

Every time Iker has a poor game for Madrid I get a little more worried.

Di Maria's angel

It was di Maria who fecked up not tracking Monreal there.
Watch the second goal, Smalling and Valencia share far more of the blame than di Maria. Valencia, who started off by tracking Sanchez, completely forgets he's the right back and starts playing as a third center back. Smalling, who should realise that he, as the defender, should cover Valencia, doesn't bother and also joins in with Valencia and Rojo. Ridiculous defending, intelligence, team work and concentration from the two.