g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
David de Gea image 1

David de Gea Spain flag

2015-16 Performances

View full 2015-16 profile

6.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Revan

Assumptionman
Really? That's insanity of the highest order, unless the argument is that De Gea isn't considered because Casillas might still start at the Euros. No argument about Neuer, but there's no chance De Gea should be behind Courtois or Hart.

I don't understand how Courtois is still rated above De Gea. One or 2 years ago it was close and the scales might've tipped in Courtois' favour, with his impressive Atletico achievements. But last year both were in the Premier League and De Gea had a significantly better season, consistently putting in world class performances. Courtois had those as well but to a lesser extent and he made more errors than I expected. He might still prove himself equal but right now there's no legitemate basis to claim he's as good as De Gea, let alone better.
Courtuis is a very good keeper, and will only become better, but really last season it wasn't even close. Not that De Gea was miles better than him, but Lloris was easily better than Courtuis too. And that is just in this league.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
http://www.theguardian.com/football...nited-david-de-gea-real-madrid-release-clause

After Spain’s 1-0 victory over Ukraine on Monday De Gea refused to deny a clause is in the fresh terms he signed. Instead, De Gea suggested his agent, Jorge Mendes, be asked about this. “You should ask Jorge that question,” the 24-year-old said. “He is the one who pays attention to those sort of details.” United have also refused to comment on whether the clause exists when asked by the Guardian.

Here. We. Go

Sam

http://www.theguardian.com/football...nited-david-de-gea-real-madrid-release-clause

After Spain’s 1-0 victory over Ukraine on Monday De Gea refused to deny a clause is in the fresh terms he signed. Instead, De Gea suggested his agent, Jorge Mendes, be asked about this. “You should ask Jorge that question,” the 24-year-old said. “He is the one who pays attention to those sort of details.” United have also refused to comment on whether the clause exists when asked by the Guardian.

Here. We. Go
Anyone who doesn't think there is a clause is living in dreamland.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
We have to be resigned to losing him. He did us a favor and even if he leaves next summer, we are due a big amount which will definitely be more than what those cnuts at Madrid were willing to offer us.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
If the clause is 50+ Million then that's better then nothing. There is always speculation. Anyone can speculate. Heck, let's make it 60 million. Either way, if there was a clause, no one would know what it was. I wouldn't imagine it'll be exercised any time soon but he plays for his country and they're probably desperate for him to be first choice. Can't say I blame them. We're in a far better situation regardless. The player may have been professional but he made a dick move. Can understand his reasons but they do things different there. Not very professional.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
Did you actually watch Neuer at Schalke? I still remember the 09/10 season incredibly well, when Neuer kept Schalke in the race for the league on a weekly basis with out of this world performances. Schalke was level on points with Bayern with 2 games left. And Magath, Schalke's manager at the time, reminded the journalists every week that the goalkeeper is part of the team and that they should stop saying they didn't deserve to win because the other team created much more in the game and if not for Neuer Schalke would have lost.

Neuer was destined for greatness back then, it was obvious and the following years were no surprise to anyone who actually followed him at Schalke and at the youth nationalteams. It looks like the same is true for De Gea.
2010/11 was the year van der Sar announced his retirement, believe me that United fans were plenty interested in Neuer. I bet more of us wanted him than DDG as the VDS replacement, including myself. I'm not claiming Neuer was some no-name before Bayern, just that DDG is playing at higher level now at age 24. Also, IIRC Neuer was still making high-profile mistakes in his first year or so at Bayern and was sometimes guilty of not maintaining his concentration. That's not the case with DDG and hasn't been for years. For me, that puts him ahead on the development curve.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
2010/11 was the year van der Sar announced his retirement, believe me that United fans were plenty interested in Neuer. I bet more of us wanted him than DDG as the VDS replacement, including myself. I'm not claiming Neuer was some no-name before Bayern, just that DDG is playing at higher level now at age 24. Also, IIRC Neuer was still making high-profile mistakes in his first year or so at Bayern and was sometimes guilty of not maintaining his concentration. That's not the case with DDG and hasn't been for years. For me, that puts him ahead on the development curve.
Come on. As if many United fans started following Schalke regularly because of a few vague rumours, which were almost instantly dismissed anyway. It became obvious soon enough that Neuer had already agreed to join Bayern.

Neuer made a few mistakes in his first season at Bayern, but overall still had a fantastic year. He didn't make many anyway, proven by the fact that our defensive record improved significantly and we had the best record in the league, which is actually a great indicator. Out of Neuer's 5 seasons at Schalke, three times they conceded the least amount of goals in the league. Once they had the 3rd best defensive record and even in the disaster season 10/11 when they finished 14th, they still had the 4th best defensive record. Since Neuer joined us, we've always had the best defensive record in the league. It's no coincidence and shows his ridiculous consistency over the last 10 years, but also how crazy consistent and influential he already was between 20 and 25 playing for a weaker team.

It's also not surprising that a player struggles a bit to adapt to a new team and a new playing style. That doesn't have to do anything with his age and you can't hold that against his individual development or say it nullifies his brilliance in previous seasons. Neuer also played again a fantastic CL campaign in his first season at Bayern, reaching the final. It was his 3rd with standout games following the first one in 07/08 when he carried Schalke into the quarterfinals through his heroics against Porto and the 10/11 one, when Schalke reached the semifinal.

Make it a fair comparison between Neuer's overall performances between 2008 and 2011 instead of just cherry-picking the few games that suit your agenda and you'll see that your comment:
He is, without a doubt, better at this age than Neuer was.
simply isn't true. There's a lot of doubt about that statement. I wouldn't want to pick one over the other, because De Gea obviously has been excellent.

Last edited:

criticalanalysis

That's why I like this forum. Lots of posters not just from Utd backgrounds making informed posts and opinions.

Great read guise!

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
Come on. As if many United fans started following Schalke regularly because of a few vague rumours, which were almost instantly dismissed anyway. It became obvious soon enough that Neuer had already agreed to join Bayern.

Neuer made a few mistakes in his first season at Bayern, but overall still had a fantastic year. He didn't make many anyway, proven by the fact that our defensive record improved significantly and we had the best record in the league, which is actually a great indicator. Out of Neuer's 5 seasons at Schalke, three times they conceded the least amount of goals in the league. Once they had the 3rd best defensive record and even in the disaster season 10/11 when they finished 14th, they still had the 4th best defensive record. Since Neuer joined us, we've always had the best defensive record in the league. It's no coincidence and shows his ridiculous consistency over the last 10 years, but also how crazy consistent and influential he already was between 20 and 25 playing for a weaker team.

It's also not surprising that a player struggles a bit to adapt to a new team and a new playing style. That doesn't have to do anything with his age and you can't hold that against his individual development or say it nullifies his brilliance in previous seasons. Neuer also played again a fantastic CL campaign in his first season at Bayern, reaching the final. It was his 3rd with standout games following the first one in 07/08 when he carried Schalke into the quarterfinals through his heroics against Porto and the 10/11 one, when Schalke reached the semifinal.

Make it a fair comparison between Neuer's overall performances between 2008 and 2011 instead of just cherry-picking the few games that suit your agenda and you'll see that your comment:

simply isn't true. There's a lot of doubt about that statement. I wouldn't want to pick one over the other, because De Gea obviously has been excellent.
You've completely distorted what I've said (lol @ "my agenda," come on, get a grip) and thrown in things about Neuer's Bayern performances, despite my original comment only referring to their performance through age 24/25. Using defensive record and team performance is silly imo but since you opened that door:
- DDG, age 19, wins the Europa League with Atletico in 09/10 as their #1
- DDG finished 2nd in PL, on GD, in 11/12, at age 21 with a new country, league, and language never mind just a new system
- DDG won the league, age 22, was PFA goalkeeper of the year, and put in some universally lauded performances as United lost to Real in CL quarters
- DDG the best player on a United team in transition in 13/14, age 23, plays well in CL that ends against Bayern in CL quarters
- DDG again best United player, age 24, again in PFA team of year. Regarded universally as at least one of the best 3 keepers in the world
- 2x Euro u21 keeper of the tournament

How do you like them cherries? If you're going to completely dismiss the idea that a United fan might have watched a bit of Neuer and that we're just being biased, why should any of us view what you say differently? Have YOU actually ever watched de Gea?

They have similar trajectories through age 24. But DDG also undertook a considerably larger challenge by moving abroad at 20 and developing under the intense scrutiny of a club like Manchester United, not Schalke. That matters greatly and, for me, it's why de Gea is ahead on the learning curve.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
You've completely distorted what I've said (lol @ "my agenda," come on, get a grip) and thrown in things about Neuer's Bayern performances, despite my original comment only referring to their performance through age 24/25. Using defensive record and team performance is silly imo but since you opened that door:
- DDG, age 19, wins the Europa League with Atletico in 09/10 as their #1
- DDG finished 2nd in PL, on GD, in 11/12, at age 21 with a new country, league, and language never mind just a new system
- DDG won the league, age 22, was PFA goalkeeper of the year, and put in some universally lauded performances as United lost to Real in CL quarters
- DDG the best player on a United team in transition in 13/14, age 23, plays well in CL that ends against Bayern in CL quarters
- DDG again best United player, age 24, again in PFA team of year. Regarded universally as at least one of the best 3 keepers in the world
- 2x Euro u21 keeper of the tournament

How do you like them cherries? If you're going to completely dismiss the idea that a United fan might have watched a bit of Neuer and that we're just being biased, why should any of us view what you say differently? Have YOU actually ever watched de Gea?
Agenda was a poor choice of words by me, something like 'fitting in with the narrative of De Gea's unmatched greatness at his age' would probably have been better. And no, I haven't completely distorted what you've said. I don't judge players on a single season and ignore how well they played before. If De Gea's form drops for a few weeks a bit and his next season isn't as outstanding as before, he's not a worse player all of a sudden. So when you say 'He is, without a doubt, better at this age than Neuer was.' surely we should compare a bit more than just a few selective months in their careers?

Anyway, I showed the impact he had on the defensive record of his teams in comparison to before and after he played there. That says quite a lot about his consistency and quality at a young age. None of what you wrote does the same. I wasn't cherrypicking, I gave context for his individual success. You did the exact opposite, surely you can see that? Also United didn't reach the CL quarterfinals in 12/13. De Gea so far didn't lift United to any relevant heights in the CL knockout rounds, which is something Neuer had already done twice at that age.

I regularly watch United games whenever they don't overlap with Bayern games in the last 2 years. Didn't watch that many up until Moyes took over. The transition of the team was interesting and since I started posting here regularly I took more interest in United. It got even more fascinating when van Gaal became manager. I'm not claiming I watch every game, but United is the team I watch more than any other, bar Bayern of course. See, it's not that difficult to answer honestly without dancing around an answer by saying 'United fans were plenty interested in Neuer'. But then I don't make big statements about De Gea that include 'no doubt' anyway, which is why I quoted you in the first place.

They have similar trajectories through age 24. But DDG also undertook a considerably larger challenge by moving abroad at 20 and developing under the intense scrutiny of a club like Manchester United, not Schalke. That matters greatly and, for me, it's why de Gea is ahead on the learning curve.
So now you're saying it's not the actual performances that make the difference no matter the stage (league, CL, international tournaments), it's the club De Gea plays for? I disagree, but fair enough, can't argue against that.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Neuer is fashionable because Germany won the World Cup. Lots would disagree with that, but clearly Germany are smart and pick their best goalkeeper while De Gea has had to wait for inferior goalkeepers (probably because he's not playing in Spain). Munich fans wouldn't swap Neuer for anyone and United fans wouldn't swap De Gea - so what does that tell us? Both goalkeepers are playing very well and they are the best two goalkeepers.

Neuer had to win over the Munich fans but he has and Munich are in a good position. United were destabilized with Sir Alexs retirement but Neuer couldn't have done a better job for us that what De Gea has done. It's a pointless exercise trying to compare the pair but of course if De Gea had have won the World cup with Spain, it would be in favor of De Gea. Until United are challenging or Until Spain grow a brain, most of De Geas work won't be appriciated

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The only thing I think Neuer is definitely better at is coming off his line, he's way more decisive in that aspect. De Gea though is obviously confident in his shot stopping, which is the best in the world IMO. De Gea is actually very good at commanding his box now too, I can't remember the last time he dropped a catch, it's like he has Spidermans hands!.

Either way though he and Neuer are clear favourites for me. Courtios has the ability/potential to live up too it, but I would like to have seen how he fared behind this shakey Chelsea defence. So far he's been at Atletico who were solid as nails, and obviously Chelsea too.

Devil may care

His footwork on that dipping Barkley freekick was excellent, good performance today that will go largely unnoticed.

Americano

Make America Great Again!
Consistently amazing to the point you almost take for granted the brilliant saves he makes. I don't even get nervous when a shot goes sizzling in, he just sticks out his hand and it bounces away.

NoPace

Best player in the league. Aguero doesn't create enough for others, Silva doesn't score enough, Hazard is going through something and Sanchez is pretty great but Barca were comfortable selling him off because he's just an inch short of world-class.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
David de Hero! Still feels a bit unreal we still have him.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Somehow a bit related, Navas was outstanding aswell. Made one of the best saves I've seen the last few years today. If he keeps playing like this you won't have to fear us to come knocking for Dave in the summer. Navas has been an absolute beast so far this season.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Somehow a bit related, Navas was outstanding aswell. Made one of the best saves I've seen the last few years today. If he keeps playing like this you won't have to fear us to come knocking for Dave in the summer. Navas has been an absolute beast so far this season.
You should be banned for this.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Yea, because logic plays a huge roll in Madrid transfer policy.

Sylar

DDG, Jones and Smalling
Could be a new VDS, Vidic and Rio :D

suheilsworld

It's come to a stage now where every game he is doing World Class saves and we are like yeah good game. Carry on! He has spoilt us!

Akshay

Staff
It's come to a stage now where every game he is doing World Class saves and we are like yeah good game. Carry on! He has spoilt us!
Pretty much. I've lost all idea of what constitutes a shot that should be saved versus one that shouldn't, because De Gea makes them look like they all should be saved. The only emotion I feel is disappointment when something actually gets past him. A better shot stopper right now than VDS ever was, imo.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
You just can't give him enough credit for the way he has played this season considering the summer.

I always back him but I could also see the headlines after a few mistakes saying his head is in Madrid etc but he has been fantastic. Credit to him.

suheilsworld

You just can't give him enough credit for the way he has played this season considering the summer.

I always back him but I could also see the headlines after a few mistakes saying his head is in Madrid etc but he has been fantastic. Credit to him.
Very professional of him. and to a certain extent credit goes to the way LVG handled the whole scenario. David too did not come out and say anything brash or negative about LVG when he was benched. He did voice his concern but in a very professional manner. A thorough professional. Just hope he changes his mind about going to Real.

ZDwyr

Pretty much. I've lost all idea of what constitutes a shot that should be saved versus one that shouldn't, because De Gea makes them look like they all should be saved. The only emotion I feel is disappointment when something actually gets past him. A better shot stopper right now than VDS ever was, imo.
:lol: I'm the same. I watch other matches and think 'wow, the 'keeper really should have saved that.' Of course then I have to remember that I am contrasting them with De Gea and so maybe I am being a bit harsh.

Tibs

Big Dave situation is going out with a girl who deep down you know is too good for you, and will leave you for someone better looking with more money.

You just have to enjoy it whilst it lasts, and prepare for your nervous breakdown

Status
Not open for further replies.