Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Litch

Let's not turn pen shoot outs to a science. For me it's always more about missing them than them being saved....

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I'd blame him for that shootout as much as a goalkeeper can be blamed for a shootout tbh. Shouldve kept out 2 of them, debatably 3. The shots just went right through him basically. I love the guy, but he looks bereft of confidence playing for Spain and cant save anything.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
A pen down the middle is not average. There is a reason why so many pens down the middle are scored.
Neither one of those penalties were anything special, maybe first. 3 after were all easy saveable, one went straight through him, that was actually very poor keeping for a top keeper.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
If we are saying that he isn't good enough on this tournament, then neither are Isco, Pique, David Silva Ascensio for Spain.

Camilo

Poor in the shootout really.. Never really get the sense he's going to stop a penalty. Strange really, because he's probably got the best reactions out there.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Not good at pens. Not good at coming off his line. Not really vocal in marshalling the defense. Average distribution and clearances at times.

He is a world class shot-stopper which papers over these cracks. But when he reaches 30-31 years, his shot stopping is sure to decline and the other weaknesses will be exposed. For our sake, he really needs to work on a lot of stuff in terms of improvement.
Wow, I don't know what to say other than this is a shocking post. And you are normally a good poster.

Kapardin

:lol: Anyone would think we are talking about shit version of Shay Given here.
Yeah lets ship him of to Madrid... :houllier:
Oh behave.
Why does every criticism of de Gea turn this place into North Korea ffs.

He is a world class shot stopper and is reliable. But he also has several weaknesses which are sure to show up at the wrong moments if he doesn't improve. Stating that here does not mean anyone wants him out.

Minimalist

All of Russias penalties were calm and collected no matter where they were put (reminded me of Germany). Really don't think you can take much from his record at saving penalties.

There's such a huge element of luck involved.

spiriticon

A pen down the middle is not average. There is a reason why so many pens down the middle are scored.
But inherently savable. If every penalty was top bins, then there's nothing De Gea can do and he's flapping. But a pen down the middle? Absolutely savable.

NK86

Neither one of those penalties were anything special, maybe first. 3 after were all easy saveable, one went straight through him, that was actually very poor keeping for a top keeper.
He dived and it was on the floor under him. Those are very tough especially very close to the body.

HTG

Supports
Bayern

The pens through the middle were horrible. You just have to save those.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He dived and it was on the floor under him. Those are very tough especially very close to the body.
He dived for every penalty, that looks to be the problem for him.

Greck

The one that went under him in particular he should have saved

NK86

But inherently savable. If every penalty was top bins, then there's nothing De Gea can do and he's flapping. But a pen down the middle? Absolutely savable.
Then if he just stood his ground and if the pens were just wide, all would jimp on how he didn't even try.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It’s actually quite hilarious that the entire medium of football fans have now become experts on goalkeeping in penalty shootouts.

Not that he was particularly good or anything tonight - just really funny.

el3mel

Always jumps on the right. The first one was his only chance to save it, after it I knew they'll always shoot on the left.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

He is a world class shot stopper and is reliable. But he also has several weaknesses which are sure to show up at the wrong moments if he doesn't improve. Stating that here does not mean anyone wants him out.
His only weakness is he doesn't play as sweeper, not distribution or anything. Your post was knee jerk reaction.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
No one blaming De Gea. His penalty saving record is truly bad ( Below 20%).

Not worth a bump though. We all know that
25% according to this unless you're either talking about just United or including shootout records as well. Akinfeev's record is slightly better at 26.5%. Courtois' is 16.1%, ter Stegen 24.3% while Neuer has a fantastic 34.6%.

Should have done better in the shootout though. He always dives to his right - van der Sar was similar in preferring to dive to his right.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Your Hierro played cowardly for 90 mins and only had balls to go at it from ET and yet it all De Gea's fault. Spain loves playing victim card here.
I agree that Spain were awful, but De Gea has not done his reputation any good in this World Cup either.

He’s made a grand total of 1 save and let in 6 goals.

Kapardin

His only weakness is he doesn't play as sweeper, not distribution or anything. Your post was knee jerk reaction.
His distribution is average. Not mediocre, but nothing extraordinary either. Has had a couple of moments where it helped us grab a goal, but other moments when he just gave the ball away to the oppo when under the cosh. Not his worst area though, I never said that.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Spain like Portugal, Argentina and Germany - was honestly rather shit in every game and on borrowed time. Big Dave obviously didn't play well but to blame him for their removal from the tourney is just stupid.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I agree that Spain were awful, but De Gea has not done his reputation any good in this World Cup either.

He’s made a grand total of 1 save and let in 6 goals.
Apart from 1 almost nothing were savable or you can blame De Gea for.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Down the middle pens have a huge chance of going in though.
Its the half in the corner, half in the middle that are horribly taken.
2 of them he could've done what akinfeev did. We all love him, but hes just pretty shit at pens and especially for Spain in general.

Schneckerl

Usually can't blame a goalkeeper for not saving any PKs because the advantage is on the shooter's side, but damn those Russian's penalties were HORRIBLE.....

cyberman

Ah get away with this.
Its nothing phrases such as commanding the area or bad distribution that's nonsense. Just because he isn't Ederson with his feet doesn't mean he has average distribution and we rarely concede from crosses in open play.
Its all buzzwords that's been amped up over the last month.
From De Gea is the only reason we have a great defensive record to he has several departments to work on before he falls off a cliff when he's 30.
You can't get away with simply being a shot stopper in England. Its too direct for that.
Its all just an over reaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.