Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kapardin

Big save that kept us in the game. Have to credit him with equal plaudits as Pogba received for his goals in sealing the win.

Web of Bissaka

:devil:My Captain, finally, let him wear it every game. I notice he still wear the armband eventhough Young sub in.

That save, typical.

Hopefully this would encourage him to express himself more, taking in more leadership role being more communicative on and off pitch.

Patrick08

Soon Marvels will be launching him in a move, if he keeps pulling off his super human saves .

yfoFC

Hope he keeps the armband full-time (might convince him to sign the damn contact)

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I thought the ball went in the open net, then he popped up with an insane save once again. I think it looked more impressive than it was because the ball didn't have much pace on it, and it certainly fooled me, but non the less an amazing save he did. The thing that impresses me the most with him is his focus. He just never sleeps on his job. Love him

Fracture90

Shame he didn't get to keep a clean sheet with captain armband around his arm, but goddammit that save was something! Also I'll say it again, his ball distribution is a very underrated aspect of his game.

Aloysius's Back 3

I thought the ball went in the open net, then he popped up with an insane save once again. I think it looked more impressive than it was because the ball didn't have much pace on it, and it certainly fooled me, but non the less an amazing save he did. The thing that impresses me the most with him is his focus. He just never sleeps on his job. Love him
What impressed me about that save was his ability to save & and move the ball away from the centre of goal by scuffing it down and to the right of him.

His ball playing skills are looking better than ever too - starting our attacks & only hoofing it up when he has to.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Passing doesn't seem a problem again. Love his pass for the second goal.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
What impressed me about that save was his ability to save & and move the ball away from the centre of goal by scuffing it down and to the right of him.

His ball playing skills are looking better than ever too - starting our attacks & only hoofing it up when he has to.
Yes. Most keepers would have fell a sleep for a second just enough to misread a situation like that. DDG doesn't only find time to read the situation and move with the ball enough to save it, but somehow he does it so quick he can even put a super clearance in the move. It is world class goalkeeping.

Based Adnan

Strange how his distribution improved overnight. Not that I'm complaining mind. Top save as well.

el3mel

Kept us in the game. If they had scored this goal no one can know how it would have ended. Magnificent save.

Maxred

Due to my experience in the Serengeti National Park in Tanzania, I think that awesome save of Dave he learned from a Cheetah that is exactly a claw of a Cheetah or by closer look from the family of the big cats.

It is no wonder his transfer from Club Atletico Madrid took the media by storm in those days.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
All of my mates keep telling me that DDG's having a poor season, apart from the first few games he's been back to his normal self. Echoing other sentiments, his passing has been much better recently. It's odd but I remember it being good in his first few seasons under SAF then he sort of just resorted to hoofing it, or am I talking rubbish?

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
All of my mates keep telling me that DDG's having a poor season, apart from the first few games he's been back to his normal self. Echoing other sentiments, his passing has been much better recently. It's odd but I remember it being good in his first few seasons under SAF then he sort of just resorted to hoofing it, or am I talking rubbish?
I think it's a case of "by his standards" - he's undoubtedly made some howlers for us, the type of mistakes you'd never expect out of him. Not, say, flapping a bit at a corner (which he still does on occasion) but rather something like getting beaten at his near post. Probably still some residual from an poor World Cup performance when he wasn't at his best.

I remember his passing being very good early on as well, he seemed to have an uncanny ability to pick out players with his kicks, especially on the wings. Jose was more insistent on him bypassing the midfield to aim for Fellaini and Lukaku which has probably gone against his natural instincts.

Sylar

Other than the end of the match today, his distribution lately has been great.
Yeah, seems hes picking out people, and finding them. Sorta like how he was in his first few seasons for us.

He makes things look so simple too.(like the way he prevented the corner near the end).

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Other than the end of the match today, his distribution lately has been great.
Agreed. Still some poor kicks today, but generally speaking there is a clear attempt to pick out players, rather than just smashing it long. You can tell by the way he strikes the ball now, how he's just driving it straight and fairly low into the midfield, rather than an almighty up 'n under like before.

He's definitely got that ability, and did it plenty before Mourinho got here. He's not the best in the world at it, but a lot better than what we've seen from him the last 2 and a half years.

Adisa

His long passing is fantastic. Picks out players for fun. The idea he couldn't play for a possession team was scandalous.

Trizy

I was always wondering how his distribution turned so shit from when he first signed. Jose literally must have told him boot the ball as hard and as far as possible every time regardless of pressure. In turn we lost so much fecking possession.

His passing has been fantastic and looks more composed.

Mick321

His pass completion is a tiny bit better than his usual averages, he's doing slightly better there but think people are seeing what they want to rather than the reality. The elite goalies are upper 70s at worst, he's 61% under Ole and that's against teams that have hardly pressed us. His usual averages are mid to upper 50s.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Yeah, surprised to see praise on his distribution. Thought a good few of his long balls out - particularly to the left side of the pitch - put us in poor positions as they were easily intercepted. His short passing is good though.

Hoping he signs the new deal, and then we get someone to up the final piece of goalkeeping puzzle: dominating the box. Obviously he's our best player and I love him, but I do wonder if we'd look a touch better on set pieces if he was more aggressive in coming to the ball.

Newcastle 0:2 Man Utd

Haddock

Made the mistake of listening to the dreadful Andy Brassell on some daft podcast. The new Shay Given apparently. Discuss.

Edit: Brassell said (I'm paraphrasing) - is he? (that good) No one outside England believes it. How many top keepers have to keep making the saves he makes. Being a top keeper is about long periods of doing nothing and then making one crucial save at the end.

Might have been a Graun pod post the Young Boys game. I cannot be sure. But it did remind me why I no longer listen to the totally show, the graun pod or anything else.

We know he isn't anywhere near as good as Ederson or Neuer with his feet but isn't a goal keeper you know, meant to save shots?

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
elaborate on what you mean as I'm struggling to find out where you're going with this.
Guessing he means he's all about shot stopping and lacks in other areas of goalkeeping? I'm just guessing though because it obviously makes zero sense.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He could do with finding his kicking boots again. He definitely used to have them during LVG's time but he's currently nowhere near at the same level with his feet as the likes of Ederson and Allisson though. Still the best at keeping the ball out of the net though.

Adisa

His kicking has been great in the last few games, even launched some counters.
This obsession with playing out from the back has done a number on some people.

tomaldinho1

His pass completion is a tiny bit better than his usual averages, he's doing slightly better there but think people are seeing what they want to rather than the reality. The elite goalies are upper 70s at worst, he's 61% under Ole and that's against teams that have hardly pressed us. His usual averages are mid to upper 50s.
But remember we're aren't playing the same way as them. DDG has license to hoof, to play it short and I think Ole kind of let's him play it by ear. Ederson/Alisson will get strung up by Pep/Klopp if they dare not pass to a defenders feet, which ramps their stats up.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
We know he isn't anywhere near as good as Ederson or Neuer with his feet but isn't a goal keeper you know, meant to save shots?
Yes.

I am not onboard with the clamoring for an assertive ball-playing sweeper-keeper, as they are often made to look foolish by conceding a very preventable goals, yet it's incredibly rare that De Gea concedes a goal that he is completely to blame for. He takes little to no risks, and makes simpossible saves when called upon. Personally, I know which type of goalkeeper I prefer. Having a keeper like Ederson or Alisson would just make me far too nervy. Goalkeepers (and also centre backs) should keep it safe and pick players out where possible (like De Gea has been doing again since Jose's exit). For me, it's an area of the pitch where risks should be kept to an absolute minimum.

There also seems to be an obsession as to what the rest of Europe thinks of De Gea, as if that's the only barometer, rather than the longevity and sheer volume of match-winning saves he has made. People pay more attetion to a popularity contest than actually watching the guy play. Goalkeepers who play for more dominant teams who do less in 90 minutes and are much less pivotal in their results get far more praise then De Gea, all because of their team's success, which seems to conclude that they are better goalkeepers. That's the reality of it, but I don't know why we're supposed to care.

De Ga is very good and continues to contribute to winning us games. Where he ranks in the top of the pops of bestest goalkeepers, who gives a shit?

A-man

Yes.

I am not onboard with the clamoring for an assertive ball-playing sweeper-keeper, as they are often made to look foolish by conceding a very preventable goals, yet it's incredibly rare that De Gea concedes a goal that he is completely to blame for. He takes little to no risks, and makes simpossible saves when called upon. Personally, I know which type of goalkeeper I prefer. Having a keeper like Ederson or Alisson would just make me far too nervy. Goalkeepers (and also centre backs) should keep it safe and pick players out where possible (like De Gea has been doing again since Jose's exit). For me, it's an area of the pitch where risks should be kept to an absolute minimum.
It all depends on what football you play. If you have a lot of possession like City last season, Barca, Bayern, etc you don’t want a keeper who stays on his line, you want someone who takes part of the game forward.

Ederson didn’t make many saves last season, but he still conceded least goals in the PL.

Status
Not open for further replies.