Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiva87

Honestly, DDG was the best thing we had for the period after SAF retired till him going to the World Cup.

Now this keeper is a shadow of that guy and has cost us top 4 in Ole's first season in charge. Almost cost us top 4 last season, and made a high profile mistake in the FACup semi final. Now he is making any hope of a title challenge evaporate.

It's time to call a spade a spade and replace him in the first XI. We can bring him back in if Hendo is not up to it. But given how many points DDG is costing us, Dean will have some leeway!

Last edited:

essao

DDG +CROSSES=DISASTER.He will continue to be targeted in the epl till he packs his bags and leaves.This is one area he will never improve because he is cowardly and likes to avoid contact.

UncleBob

Weakly pushing the ball straight to the feet of the everton player? Under fecking no pressure.

Catch it, or punch the ball harder and further away.
Ehm, yeah, it's not close enough for him to catch it or get more power behind it.

The alternative would be allowing the cross to go past him, for which he rightly would've been slaughtered for if it had ended up in the back of the net.

It's bad luck, not a mistake.

erik thorstvedt agrees.

Bojan11

Club never learns just like Rooney.

He was clearly past his best yet we gave him a new contract.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Honestly, DDG was the best thing we had for the period after SAF retired till him going to the World Cup.

Now this keeper is a shadow of that guy and has cost us top 4 in Ole's first season in charge. Almost cost us top 4 last season, and made a high profile mistake in the FACup final. Now he is making any hope of a title challenge evaporate.

It's time to call a spade a spade and replace him in the first XI. We can bring him back in if Hendo is not up to it. But given how many points DDG is costing us, Dean will have some leeway!
We would absolutely never have lost this game with him in goal for a start.

Red00012

Third time I can think of where he’s worried about facing contact that’s lead to a goal. He’s on £300K a week if that happens in a Sunday League game the players destroy him for it and the manager immediately drops him . You can’t have a coward behind your centre backs protecting the goal.

Man up Ole and drop him for it , needs to be shown you have to be punished for been a fecking coward.

Sir Marcus

Ehm, yeah, it's not close enough for him to catch it or get more power behind it.

The alternative would be allowing the cross to go past him, for which he rightly would've been slaughtered for if it had ended up in the back of the net.

erik thorstvedt agrees.

It clearly is.

Siezard

The first one isn't a mistake, third one is.

The cross is just far enough out that he can't get a proper punch on it, and he can't just let the cross go as he can't know if Doucoure gets in behind and scores, which would've been a mistake.
He does the only thing he can do in that situation. It's pure coincidence and luck on Evertons part that it ends up in the legs of Doucoure

Shaw hardly covers himself in glory in that situation, ends up ballwatching when he knows where Doucoure is, all he should do is block his path instead of worrying where the ball might go
Correct.

The first goal was a result of poor defending. All the centre backs and Shaw were too slow to come back and shut off the danger. DDG did what he could to punch the ball away.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus

Command of the box? Never had it, never will.

Strength under a high ball? Never had it, never will.

Communication? Quiet as a mouse.

Distribution? Piss poor.

Shot-stopping? Was incredible, world class. It's gone now. He offers nothing.

Djemba-Djemba

erik thorstvedt agrees.
Who?

You have to be on the wind up.

How the feck can you watch that first goal and say it's not an error?

It absolutely is close enough to catch or punch harder. You're saying his only option was to hit a limp wristed weak slap straight to the Everton player?

come off it.

UnitedFan93

erik thorstvedt agrees.
Seriously mate, my mum would've caught that ball with marigolds on.

WPMUFC

I think De Gea should lose his spot for those decisions tonight. Just look at the impact Telles has had on Shaw. Henderson may not be the "out and out" first choice, but drop De Gea for bad mistakes, show consequences. When we use Henderson it's always "rotation", ole needs to tell De Gea he's dropped for Henderson, sit him on the bench and show consequences.

UncleBob

Who?

It absolutely is close enough to catch or punch harder. You're saying his only option was to hit a limp wristed weak slap straight to the Everton player?

come off it.
You don't know who Erik Thorstvedt is? He had like what, 200 apps for Tottenham as their first team goalkeeper in the 90's.

Third one is a mistake, he should be rushing out desperate to get on it before Lewin. First one, nah, bad luck but he does the only thing he can do.

Lentwood

Some statistics for all the 'it woz the defence' posters who are once again hammering our CBs for being so terrible that they conceded three shots on target (arguably two if you excuse the one the GK directly causes) in a game against top six opposition.

These are the statistics for the shots on target faced by the GKs currently playing for our main rivals

GOALKEEPERSHOTS FACEDSAVEDGA% SAVES
LLORIS89672275
EDERSON44321273
ALISSON52371571
SCHMEICHEL86612571
MENDY45311469
PICKFORD70482269
DE GEA69422761

As you can all clearly see, De Gea is BY FAR the worst GK, in terms of actually saving shots (his job). That's before you even get into the fact that most, if not all, of the GKs above have other standout attributes beyond shot-stopping i.e. Schmeichel = command of area, Ederson = passing out from the back, Alisson = playing as a sweeper-keeper.

Then, I have tried to break that down into something meaningful to show you how big of an impact those numbers have, because on their own I understand it's quite hard to quantify what the difference is between 61% save rate and 71% save rate, for example.

Here is what would happen if a GK with the same percentage save rate as De Gea played for each of our rivals

IF DEA PLAYED FOR…SHOTS FACEDSAVEDGADIFF +/-
TOTTENHAM89543513
MAN CITY4427175
LIVERPOOL5232205
LEICESTER8652349
CHELSEA4527184
EVERTON7043275

As you can see, the difference is stark. Chelsea and Everton, neither of whom have good GKs, are both 4 and 5 goals better off respectively. Man City and Liverpool, despite facing a relatively small number of shots, are still five goals worse off. In the case of Man City, that is nearly a 50% increase on their TOTAL goals conceded this year.

Imagine what would happen if De Gea were in goal at Spurs or Leicester! The stats tell you those teams wouldn't even be in a top four race, having conceded 13 and 9 more goals.

See, this is the difference between the good posters (like me) and the bad ones. Many come on here bleating about stuff, mainly influenced by simple narratives pushed by sh**e pundits who don't know their arse from their elbow.

Some of us take the time to dig a bit deeper. The FACT is that United don't concede an unusual number of shots on target and we don't give away an unusual number of good chances. The FACT (sorry to get a Rafa) is that De Gea saves significantly LESS of these shots than his counterparts at our main rivals.

Again, I repeat, this is even before you consider his other major flaws as a GK, compared with the more aggressive, pro-active goalkeeping styles of players like Alisson, Ederson or Schemeichel.

The FACT is people....you can bleat about the defence all you like but football teams will always concede shots on target. No manager yet has worked out how to stop the opposition having ANY shots. No defence yet has been good enough to go an entire PL season without conceding shots on target (FACT).

Therefore, when teams inevitably DO have shots on target, like the three they had on target tonight (I repeat, one as a result of a direct goalkeeping error), it would be quite nice if the t**t between the sticks would have the good grace not to move out the way of at least one for his £350K per week.

If any of you want to seriously argue with me that our defence is poor because a top six team had three (arguably two) shots on our goal then go for it, I'm all ears....

Sir Marcus

Who?

come off it.
:lol:

If I don't laugh I'll cry.

Seriously mate, my mum would've caught that ball with marigolds on.

Yeah, can't believe this is up for debate to be honest.

Heinzesight

Third time I can think of where he’s worried about facing contact that’s lead to a goal. He’s on £300K a week if that happens in a Sunday League game the players destroy him for it and the manager immediately drops him . You can’t have a coward behind your centre backs protecting the goal.

Man up Ole and drop him for it , needs to be shown you have to be punished for been a fecking coward.
I’d gladly have my nose smashed to pieces every week to play for United, for free.

Lentwood

You don't know who Erik Thorstvedt is? He had like what, 200 apps for Tottenham as their first team goalkeeper in the 90's.

Third one is a mistake, he should be rushing out desperate to get on it before Lewin. First one, nah, bad luck but he does the only thing he can do.
If you don't think that first one is a GK error mate I'm not sure football is for you! How anybody in their right mind can claim any other than that being an absolute howler is beyond me.

Let me ask you a question - if we had a traffic cone in our goal today, would that DCL "cross" have resulted in a goal?

I'll answer that one for you....no it would not. It would have drifted harmlessly across goal and Shaw would have cleared it easily.

Asger

Now this keeper is a shadow of that guy and has cost us top 4 in Ole's first season in charge. Almost cost us top 4 last season, and made a high profile mistake in the FACup semi final. Now he is making any hope of a title challenge evaporate.

Sadly will not make Maguire and co in defence any better. Maybe drop both ?

@Lentwood Good post.

I wanted to sell both keepers last summer. Neither De Gea or Henderson are good enough.

Henderson was coming off a huge hype-train, and Chelsea's Tier 1 journalists were reporting that they were prepared to pay £50m. That would have been an insanely good deal for us, for an undersized goalkeeper with no standout attributes.

De Gea, although still better than Henderson imo, would have been harder to move due to the big contract - but name value alone might have got somebody like PSG interested.

We could have paid a big chunk of Oblak's release fee with the combined money we'd have got for both. Would have saved on wages too, and had a - likely still happy - Romero as back-up.

Asger

If you don't think that first one is a GK error mate I'm not sure football is for you! How anybody in their right mind can claim any other than that being an absolute howler is beyond me.

Let me ask you a question - if we had a traffic cone in our goal today, would that DCL "cross" have resulted in a goal?

I'll answer that one for you....no it would not. It would have drifted harmlessly across goal and Shaw would have cleared it easily.
With a good centre back and not with a pace of a snail, he would never had been able to cross. Both were terrible today and both need to be dropped.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Ole has the perfect opportunity to drop him now with the cup game coming up. Providing Henderson plays well in that, is stick with him and give him a run.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Smells of mistakes.

I maintain what I've been repeating since November, apart from one world class attribute (shot stopping) he's below average keeper for EPL standards. Since that attribute is gone, we need to replace him first.

On current form he doesn't inspire confidence on top of that.

UncleBob

Some statistics for all the 'it woz the defence' posters who are once again hammering our CBs for being so terrible that they conceded three shots on target (arguably two if you excuse the one the GK directly causes) in a game against top six opposition.

These are the statistics for the shots on target faced by the GKs currently playing for our main rivals

GOALKEEPERSHOTS FACEDSAVEDGA% SAVES
LLORIS89672275
EDERSON44321273
ALISSON52371571
SCHMEICHEL86612571
MENDY45311469
PICKFORD70482269
DE GEA69422761

As you can all clearly see, De Gea is BY FAR the worst GK, in terms of actually saving shots (his job). That's before you even get into the fact that most, if not all, of the GKs above have other standout attributes beyond shot-stopping i.e. Schmeichel = command of area, Ederson = passing out from the back, Alisson = playing as a sweeper-keeper.

Then, I have tried to break that down into something meaningful to show you how big of an impact those numbers have, because on their own I understand it's quite hard to quantify what the difference is between 61% save rate and 71% save rate, for example.

Here is what would happen if a GK with the same percentage save rate as De Gea played for each of our rivals

IF DEA PLAYED FOR…SHOTS FACEDSAVEDGADIFF +/-
TOTTENHAM89543513
MAN CITY4427175
LIVERPOOL5232205
LEICESTER8652349
CHELSEA4527184
EVERTON7043275

As you can see, the difference is stark. Chelsea and Everton, neither of whom have good GKs, are both 4 and 5 goals better off respectively. Man City and Liverpool, despite facing a relatively small number of shots, are still five goals worse off. In the case of Man City, that is nearly a 50% increase on their TOTAL goals conceded this year.

Imagine what would happen if De Gea were in goal at Spurs or Leicester! The stats tell you those teams wouldn't even be in a top four race, having conceded 13 and 9 more goals.

See, this is the difference between the good posters (like me) and the bad ones. Many come on here bleating about stuff, mainly influenced by simple narratives pushed by sh**e pundits who don't know their arse from their elbow.

Some of us take the time to dig a bit deeper. The FACT is that United don't concede an unusual number of shots on target and we don't give away an unusual number of good chances. The FACT (sorry to get a Rafa) is that De Gea saves significantly LESS of these shots than his counterparts at our main rivals.

Again, I repeat, this is even before you consider his other major flaws as a GK, compared with the more aggressive, pro-active goalkeeping styles of players like Alisson, Ederson or Schemeichel.

The FACT is people....you can bleat about the defence all you like but football teams will always concede shots on target. No manager yet has worked out how to stop the opposition having ANY shots. No defence yet has been good enough to go an entire PL season without conceding shots on target (FACT).

Therefore, when teams inevitably DO have shots on target, like the three they had on target tonight (I repeat, one as a result of a direct goalkeeping error), it would be quite nice if the t**t between the sticks would have the good grace not to move out the way of at least one for his £350K per week.

If any of you want to seriously argue with me that our defence is poor because a top six team had three (arguably two) shots on our goal then go for it, I'm all ears....
:lol: :lol:

el3mel

The problem is the games Henderson played hasn't really showed he's good enough to be the main GK every game yet, so we're stuck with De Gea till either Henderson improves or we buy a new GK.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Fair enough, buddy.
True. Scum was targeted at De Gea though. I gotta be honest. But the killing thing was genuinely a turn of phrase about what he should have done. I have a personal and profound dislike for players who lack bravery.

UncleBob

It's not a mistake, i've explained why.

Lentwood

With a good centre back and not with a pace of a snail, he would never had been able to cross. Both were terrible today and both need to be dropped.
It's got nothing to do with Maguire! You're being brainwashed by the media and the fee!

Maguire dealt with that situation 100% correctly and snuffed out the danger, that is, until a calamitous error by De Gea presents the ONLY Everton player within 30 yards with an open goal

rhajdu

I don't think that De Gea declined physically. He would be a good – or even great - goalkeeper for Real Madrid. Unfortunately, the transfer didn't happen so now we have a keeper who is half-heartedly here and just imitates to care about his job.

MattyB1986

Loved DDG!!! But sentiment aside he looks a shadow of his former self. We should be looking to replace, put Deano in goal for a bit.

Eddy_JukeZ

He cost us the points.

Pitiful for the 1st goal.

He was cowardly for their equalizer too. Sensed the danger too late and didn't throw himself.

DDG is mentally weak. I’ve pointed this out time and time again. It’s no coincidence that these mistakes happen more frequently once the stakes become higher e.g. now we are (or were) in the title race for the first time in many years.

See his costing us making the top 4 with a string of dodgy displays two seasons ago for further evidence.

This mental fragility also explains his tendency to make so many mistakes in knockout games/tournaments, when it’s win or go home. See last year’s FA Cup semi against Chelsea, FA Cup final against Palace, CL against Sevilla, WC 2018 etc etc.

Give Henderson a go until the end of the season. Not totally convinced he’s the long-term answer and think he’ll make his share of mistakes too, but I guarantee he’ll make fewer than DDG and cost us fewer points in the run-in.

One thing is for sure - Everton’s third wouldn’t have been conceded if Henderson was in goal as he actually has a pair of testicles.

Romero would be a better option than either, but we’ve frozen him out for no apparent reason. Pretty shitty treatment given what an outstanding backup keeper he’s been for several years.

I remember reading an article a few years back that mentioned our defenders feel more comfortable with Romero in goal due to his superior communication with the defence and patrol of his area. It’s not hard to see why.

Asger

It's got nothing to do with Maguire! You're being brainwashed by the media and the fee!

Maguire dealt with that situation 100% correctly and snuffed out the danger, that is, until a calamitous error by De Gea presents the ONLY Everton player within 30 yards with an open goal
Never understand Maguire hype. Fee says me nothing. Was not impressed by him at Leicester. Never won anything. Too slow for top team unless you play under Mourinho

Lentwood

It's not a mistake, i've explained why.
Well you have explained wrong then! :lol:

I get differences of opinion but I'm baffled as to how a tame parry from a tame cross to a player stood one yard out with an open goal can be anything other than a mistake!

I mean, half this forum do all kinds of mental gymnastics to blame Maguire for every single goal we concede and here you are defending THAT by De Gea!

Let me ask you this....same scenario....DCL crosses the ball and Maguire gets his feet in a tangle, the ball bounces off him under no pressure and falls to Dacourte, who slots it past a stranded De Gea. Do you defend Maguire and say 'it wasn't a mistake'?

Do you balls. I rest my case.

Status
Not open for further replies.