Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylar

He did nothing wrong

But I've noticed a big difference in our defence when ddg is in goal vs Henderson

I like ddg but for the team we are defensively better with Henderson in goal. Not sure if others will agree or disagree

But it's like when we had foster instead of vds
Or vdg instead of Schmeichel

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
He did nothing wrong

But I've noticed a big difference in our defence when ddg is in goal vs Henderson

I like ddg but for the team we are defensively better with Henderson in goal. Not sure if others will agree or disagree

Most on here would agree.

Our defense just feels more solid with Henderson in the backline. No clue if the xWhatever horseshit bears that out, but there seems to be a cohesion in the back five that is far less apparent when DDG is playing.

Welbeckham

He did nothing wrong

It’s obvious. Henderson is a confident and active goalkeeper, eager to help his defence with his movement and interferences. De Gea is the polar opposite.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Presumably the idea behind the technique De Gea uses is that you get down sooner.

Thread from last year breaking down his penalty numbers at the time:

Last edited:

Oranges038

He’s literally one of the worst goalkeepers at saving penalties. Even all the strikers know that shooting at the goal is enough.
Peter Schmeichel one of the best ever, saved 3 in his whole career. Only ever saved one for Utd.

Peter Schmeichel one of the best ever, saved 3 in his whole career. Only ever saved one for Utd.
Didn’t the others help win his country the EC?

De Ges refusing to pass short a few times in the first half and trying to play quarterback himself was annoying, especially as he fecked it up again and again. Clearly told at HT to fecking stop it.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I’ve always stepped a half step forward & out with my leg opposite where I was going to dive after seeing most of the opponent’s run up. That typically gives me the push off momentum to get to the post & potentially signals that I am going the way my first step indicates.

Never thought to see what DDG does as his joe flaw in penalty stops. This could be it.

Wonder if he did this move during the 8-2 Arsenal match or the Everton matches?

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He’s literally one of the worst goalkeepers at saving penalties. Even all the strikers know that shooting at the goal is enough.
You can only assume and try a full length jump. Agree, he didn't commit enough for that penalty but it's cruel to blame a GK for not saving a penalty.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He did nothing wrong

he did nothing wrong? What about kicking it straight at Dzeko inside the area?

Born2Lose

You can sense the defence is nervous everytime he plays, hardly looked like a guy busting his gut to get back in the team.

Oranges038

Hard to say. His another penalty save won Euros for Denmark...
It was the most important penalty save ever though so that's worth about 50.

Didn't De Gea also save one in a FA cup semi final?

Doesn't matter when he saved them, fact is he only saved 3, I don't ever remember him bring criticised for it.

I really don't think penalty saving is worthy criticism. He's saved 11 out of 64 he's faced professionally. That's nearly a one in six record. Buffon has almost a 1 in 3 record, VDS record is similar to De Gea.

Penalties are as much mental as physical, you have about half a second from when the ball is struck until it hits the net. I remember seeing Peter Shilton talking about how he would wait until the ball was struck and then dive, he wasn't quick enough to react and it looked like he was diving after the ball hit the net. He was quite rubbish at saving penalties and the Italia 90 shootout is one he is negatively remembered for.

Djemba-Djemba

Doesn't matter when he saved them, fact is he only saved 3, I don't ever remember him bring criticised for it.

I really don't think penalty saving is worthy criticism. He's saved 11 out of 64 he's faced professionally. That's nearly a one in six record. Buffon has almost a 1 in 3 record, VDS record is similar to De Gea.

Penalties are as much mental as physical, you have about half a second from when the ball is struck until it hits the net. I remember seeing Peter Shilton talking about how he would wait until the ball was struck and then dive, he wasn't quick enough to react and it looked like he was diving after the ball hit the net. He was quite rubbish at saving penalties and the Italia 90 shootout is one he is negatively remembered for.
Hasn't he conceded something like 25 penalties in a row though? That's pretty shocking.

On the list of reasons why De Gea should no longer be our keeper though his terrible penalty saving skills are way down the list yeah.

Eternitiy

I'm a Henderson supporter (even with his cap), but it's silly to blame de Gea for not saving that penalty. It was well struck and well placed.

Red_toad

Henderson needs to start the final, Dave makes the defensive unit worse. i hope Ole makes the big call as DDG will not like being dropped for a cup final, but our new number 1 needs to be playing in cup finals to help him develop.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Yep. Against Lukaku.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Henderson needs to start the final, Dave makes the defensive unit worse. i hope Ole makes the big call as DDG will not like being dropped for a cup final, but our new number 1 needs to be playing in cup finals to help him develop.
While I agree with you I think Ole will start Dave out of principle unless there is an injury.

We look defensively fragile at times with DDG. Could just be a psychological thing with our defenders.

Eternitiy

While I agree with you I think Ole will start Dave out of principle unless there is an injury.

We look defensively fragile at times with DDG. Could just be a psychological thing with our defenders.
What principle? This is the same manager that dropped his cup keeper Romero when we got to the semi final last year and it backfired spectacularly.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Agree with the logic behind this, but I think Ole would take into account DDG not starting the EL final in 2017 & start him.

Barring a catastrophic second leg, DDG will start.

Especially against the Gooners against whom he has a mental edge.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
What principle? This is the same manager that dropped his cup keeper Romero when we got to the semi final last year and it backfired spectacularly.
True, but I think Ole's managerial decision making has matured since. But only time will tell...

Djemba-Djemba

Agree with the logic behind this, but I think Ole would take into account DDG not starting the EL final in 2017 & start him.

Barring a catastrophic second leg, DDG will start.

Especially against the Gooners against whom he has a mental edge.
Not so sure about that.

He's made a few terrible errors against Arsenal in recent years.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Not so sure about that.

He's made a few terrible errors against Arsenal in recent years.
Just like any good cover corner, he will focus on the positives against Arsenal, not the errors.

If he has a decent or better game next week, he should start in the final.

Djemba-Djemba

Just like any good cover corner, he will focus on the positives against Arsenal, not the errors.

If he has a decent or better game next week, he should start in the final.
I just don't trust him anymore which is sad to say because he used to be so brilliant.

But yeah these days, I just worry a lot with him in net.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
If Villareal win vs Arsenal then I'd be okay with De Gea in goal.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I just don't trust him anymore which is sad to say because he used to be so brilliant.

But yeah these days, I just worry a lot with him in net.
I hear ya.

To me, the difference between the two isn’t that huge. I’m not a sentimentalist by any major stretch, but we could reward DDG for his time with us with a start in the final & a victory.

Let him captain the fecker as well.

CG1010

I thought it was Henderson competition to play?
Roma made a lot of crosses last night, I wonder if they adjusted to the keeper.
I think we have silently switched it up.. now Henderson plays in the PL and De Gea in EL. Would be very interesting if Henderson remains our #1 starting next season as well.

Bwuk

I think we have silently switched it up.. now Henderson plays in the PL and De Gea in EL. Would be very interesting if Henderson remains our #1 starting next season as well.
He will because De Gea will leave. Back to Spain to live with his mrs and child.

Oranges038

Hasn't he conceded something like 25 penalties in a row though? That's pretty shocking.

On the list of reasons why De Gea should no longer be our keeper though his terrible penalty saving skills are way down the list yeah.
Aye, really don't get why it's been so over analysed. It's not like he gets lobbed every other week or lets long range tricklers roll in. He's poor on corners and crosses, his reflexes seem to have gone down, he's not very vocal and seems stuck to his line. That's more worthy of criticism. Whether or not he can save the odd spot kick is probably the last concern on the list after his choice of gloves and sock tape.

From watching and playing for years, some goalkeepers are good at penalties others aren't, it's that simple. I've seen guys play who could barely catch a ball but they could save penalties more often than not.

It's like everything else as a GK, some are good at 1v1 others aren't. Some like to catch high balls others will punch everything. Some rely on positioning and anticipation other will mainly rely on reflexes. The list goes on and on and you can do the same for any position on the pitch.

You can work on penalies and do it everyday, but when it comes down to it the odds are always in the strikers favour.

Status
Not open for further replies.