Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanus

Saved us 3 times but should have opened his mouth, told Billy to leave it, got off his line and got the ball-weak keeping again

RedIan

Motm. without Him this would have been another 0-5.
could have done better on 2nd goal but I’m blaming Maguire and Shaw More.

Red Royal

Motm. without Him this would have been another 0-5.
could have done better on 2nd goal but I’m blaming Maguire and Shaw More.
Had some really great stops but the 2nd goal was very poor and he really should be organising his defence. Oh and occasionally come off his line?? Sums up De Geas Career.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Feel for him, he should be not making the amount of saves he makes.

Luke1995

He is really back to his brilliant best this season. For a while, I was concerned that his reflexes had slowed down, but he looks sharper and fitter than ever.

Oranges038

Someday perhaps he'll properly organise his defense.
Fixed that.

Proper communication from him today and the two goals are avoidable.

First one he can call and claim the ball, if he's being proactive. Bailly wouldn't have to make that decision, he can leave it to him.

Then he made a few decent saves.

Second one is keepers ball all day long. Shouting away at a ball that has travelled 30 yards and drops 3 yards from the goal line is shocking goalkeeping at any level. That goal is 100% on him.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Fixed that.

First one he can call and claim the ball, if he's being proactive. Bailly wouldn't have to make that decision, he can leave it to him.

Second one is keepers ball all day long. Shouting away at a ball that has travelled 30 yards and drops 3 yards from the goal line is shocking goalkeeping at any level. That goal is 100% on him.
Yeah, agreed. One absolutely outrageously good save today but it doesn’t matter if he keeps stopping shots like that so long as he gets so many other elements of a keeper’s job so badly wrong.

spiriticon

When our defense allows 25 shots against him, his talent means he naturally save 3 or 4 good ones. Problem is, he'll also let in 1 or 2 goals because he's only human.

So overall, when he has a 'good game' it usually means we drop points.

MattofManchester

It was seem like he was expecting Shaw to deal with it, but once again the problem of him being rooted to the line shows up.

Oldyella

Fixed that.

Totally agree. He's a great shot stopper and saved us plenty this season, but all his faults are still there plain as day.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Terrible for the second goal (even if others were as much at fault) yet still our MOTM. That kinda day.

Jev

I don't even blame him for the second goal. Yeah, maybe for not coming out of his line to claim the ball but the save itself, while clumsily looking, is actually very tricky in the circumstances. Don't think it's a drop.

Nero

This John Harrison is a right pretentious twat.

snk123

His stars definitely don't align with Manchester United FC. Whenever he's at his best, this team is a shambles.

Jev

His stars definitely don't align with Manchester United FC. Whenever he's at his best, this team is a shambles.
Not coincidental. He's a shot-stopper, excels when faced with loads of shots. Much less convincing at the kind of things you need from your keeper when you have a settled defence.

snk123

Not coincidental. He's a shot-stopper, excels when faced with loads of shots. Much less convincing at the kind of things you need from your keeper when you have a settled defence.
Yes but he's had a few seasons (like last season) in which the defense has looked solid yet he's been poor at everything including shot stopping.

Andersons Dietician

For the most part he was immense and had some cracking stops but that 2nd goal. That’s a total brain fart. Even if he isn’t expecting it just move your left arm and you block the ball. Not sure what was going on in his head other than oh no I’m going to whack the post.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The better our team gets systematically, the more his fundamental flaws will cost us.

But the more chaos there is in front of him, the more opportunity there is for him to shine. And the less his weaknesses will prove a fatal difference.

I suppose his legacy (because he is the goalkeeper with the second most appearances for United after all) will depend on whether you view him as a cause of our problems or (largely) the right guy in the right place to save us as much as he could from a decade of inadequacy.

From my POV, he's always gonna be both the kid who survived that early criticism and the guy who carried us through an awful period under LVG and Mou.

But, going forward, we have to address this problem position. Even if he is a player I have lasting affection for.

It never ceases to amaze me how often people say something along the lines of “excellent today, aside from the clanger that directly led to us conceding” with regard to De Gea.

The clanger should be at the forefront when they happen so often; not written about as if it’s just one of those things and turned a 10/10 game into an 8.

Firstouch20

I said to my brother before City's second goal that i felt sorry for De Gea as he was making the kind of saves that would be enough to secure any half decent team atleast a point but ultimately this team is so bad that he could have made 100 saves and City would still find a way to stick 2 or 3 past him. The whole team is rotten to the core and there's only so much one man can do.

Nero

He's required to make so many saves it's natural that eventually there will be a mistake. Law of averages.

If he only had to make 1 or 2 saves a game we would hardly see any mistakes.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
The better our team gets systematically, the more his fundamental flaws will cost us.

But the more chaos there is in front of him, the more opportunity there is for him to shine. And the less his weaknesses will prove a fatal difference.

I suppose his legacy (because he is the goalkeeper with the second most appearances for United after all) will depend on whether you view him as a cause of our problems or (largely) the right guy in the right place to save us as much as he could from a decade of inadequacy.

From my POV, he's always gonna be both the kid who survived that early criticism and the guy who carried us through an awful period under LVG and Mou.

But, going forward, we have to address this problem position. Even if he is a player I have lasting affection for.
It’s become a vicious circle and starting to feel like an abusive relationship at this point.

At our worst, De Gea inevitably ends up being our MotM as we give away numerous good chances and his reflexes means he’ll pull off a number of eye-catching saves.

But De Gea’s half the problem. His ability to distribute the ball with accuracy and variation is non-existent. His confidence and willingness to act as a footballer in passing out from the back is sorely lacking. He has no bravery and leadership to command his area and come for crosses. He has no natural inclination to rush out and sweep behind his defensive line.

All of this adds up to a side that is defensively vulnerable and concedes more chances than you’d otherwise expect with an average, modern goalkeeper.

And De Gea will shine at stopping these shots…

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
That anger he displayed today I have never seen before from him. He was proper fuming. The highest form of frustration

He's required to make so many saves it's natural that eventually there will be a mistake. Law of averages.

If he only had to make 1 or 2 saves a game we would hardly see any mistakes.
Disagree with this. His best United form has tended to be when he’s kept busy; he seems to make more clangers when he has less to do, which I can only assume is due to poor concentration.

NZT-One

It’s become a vicious circle and starting to feel like an abusive relationship at this point.

At our worst, De Gea inevitably ends up being our MotM as we give away numerous good chances and his reflexes means he’ll pull off a number of eye-catching saves.

But De Gea’s half the problem. His ability to distribute the ball with accuracy and variation is non-existent. His confidence and willingness to act as a footballer in passing out from the back is sorely lacking. He has no bravery and leadership to command his area and come for crosses. He has no natural inclination to rush out and sweep behind his defensive line.

All of this adds up to a side that is defensively vulnerable and concedes more chances than you’d otherwise expect with an average, modern goalkeeper.

And De Gea will shine at stopping these shots…
This definitely is an issue, I agree. Almost unbelievable to some degree, if you remember that when he was brought in, he was lauded as a very good football on top of that catlike reflexes. And his kicking was quite precise back then as well. Makes you wonder what happened over all these years, don't know a lot about keeper coaching but that aspect of his game got extremely worse over time, sad that there wasn't even any tradeoff because I don't really see an aspect of his game, that became immensely better.

I'd still stick with him though. Don't know about his contract but for 375k per week, he should play and we have to accept that he isn't vocal or decisive. Somebody else could take over the organizing part, somebody could try to defend him more. Is that great? No it isn't but we gave him the big contract and he is still alright I guess with a couple of adjustments. But United affords themselves with the luxury of keeping Henderson on the bench, selling him (even with buyback option) could have brought in some money. I like Hendo, don't get me wrong but I don't like assets without any purpose.

Mickson

That anger he displayed today I have never seen before from him. He was proper fuming. The highest form of frustration
I've seen it once! At Anfield a few years ago. I don't remember the exact situation but we fecked up in the build-up and Liverpool scored (although I think the ref ruled it out because of a freekick or something). Dave ran to the ref's face and screamed. I remember being shocked because I've never seen him like that before.

Lyng

Peter Schmeichel says to Danish journalist today that today wasn't Dave's fault but Shaw and Maguire

Status
Not open for further replies.