Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marwood

It depends what we're classing as personal form really. I appreciate he is making good saves at times but the sheer number of goals conceded this season that he could have done more on for various reasons is ridiculous.

For example, the last couple of months alone - please note I'm not saying other players aren't at fault as well because there is some horrific defending but I'd expect better from the goalkeeper in these situations.

Leicester: First goal, terrible pass out to Maguire. Second goal, literally kicks the ball at a Leicester player in the 6 yard box. Fourth goal, allows ball to go all the way across the goal 3 yards out.
Atalanta: First goal, ball into the 6 yard box with contact made 4 yards out centre of the goal. Second goal, ball into the 6 yard box with no real pace on it that is simply headed in.
Liverpool: First goal, gives Keita the entire goal to aim at by not rushing out and falling backwards. Second goal, ball along ground into 6 yard box. Third goal, some of the worst positioning you will ever see. Fifth goal, not quite as bad as the first goal but not far off. For reference in this game see the difference when Ronaldo & Fernandes went clean through on goal against Allison.
Atalanta: First goal, straight through him. Second goal, it's his ball all day to come and collect but he waits about half an hour for the striker to get there and poke it in.
City: Second goal, has to come and collect the cross and when he hasn't done that he cannot get beat at his near post.
Watford: First goal, more proactive goalkeeper comes and takes the original cross but the shot from King ends up almost straight at him & I think with his shotstopping form he'd be disappointed not to stop it. Second goal, positioning is poor and gives Sarr the whole goal to aim at. Third goal, straight through him.
Arsenal: First goal, playing dead facing away from the play.
Yeah I'm with you on this.

Any shots mid height he's as good as anyone and has made some brilliant saves this season. Around his feet, commanding the box, coming off his line etc we all know the probs.

But he's made so many terrible mistakes as well. Some really bad stuff.

Right now the saves are at the forefront of people's minds but personally I want a new keeper. You need reliability back there.

Lentwood

Another example of a ball that he should be out claiming and not having to make a save. Similar to the Bernardo Silva goal, that ball shouldn't even have to be contested by the defender. All they should have to worry about is making sure his path to the ball isn't being blocked.

I made a point before about the Roma game last year, a lot of the saves he made that night were entirely preventable if he'd just come out and taken care of the initial ball into the box.
Again, I do agree in general. I would have to watch the Kabak one again, never really thought too much about whether he could have just come and claimed it.

I'm not saying that DDG is having a "bad" season...I just think this talk of him "saving us" or being "in superb form" is completely misguided. I'd say DDG is perhaps our biggest problem right now. Can't kick, can't play out, can't claim crosses, doesn't sweep, isn't proactive AND I'd argue his shot-stopping is hit and miss, with superb saves and basic errors in equal measure

Oranges038

Again, I do agree in general. I would have to watch the Kabak one again, never really thought too much about whether he could have just come and claimed it.

I'm not saying that DDG is having a "bad" season...I just think this talk of him "saving us" or being "in superb form" is completely misguided. I'd say DDG is perhaps our biggest problem right now. Can't kick, can't play out, can't claim crosses, doesn't sweep, isn't proactive AND I'd argue his shot-stopping is hit and miss, with superb saves and basic errors in equal measure
Yeah, he's made some really good saves. But then you have goals like City, Arsenal, Atalanta etc. Where he's been shocking in moments that have cost goals.

UTD have the 5th worse defence, the 5th most chances against and he has the 9th best save % at 68%. Which is not much better than he had last season. On average he concedes 1.5 goals a game, which is about the same as last season as well.

There's too many negatives to his game, you can't get away with having a keeper who plays the way he does now, he sucks the team too deep, he doesn't come for high balls and he's not comfortable showing for possession and when he does his passing out is generally not great. At 31, I'd be surprised if he was able to break the habits he's had his whole career, he likes to retreat to the safety of his goal line, it's his default.

Rossa

And yet they remain the best keepers in the league, basically rendering the entire argument around De Gea redundant. Shot stopping alone isn’t enough.
Allisson is overrated. He’s not nearly as good with his feet as Ederson. He’s a decent shot stopper, but not much more. He’s also prone to making a number of mistakes, especially with the ball at his feet and coming off his line. Pure damn luck has saved his arse a few times.

Lentwood

Allisson is overrated. He’s not nearly as good with his feet as Ederson. He’s a decent shot stopper, but not much more. He’s also prone to making a number of mistakes, especially with the ball at his feet and coming off his line. Pure damn luck has saved his arse a few times.
This was a rubbish opinion yesterday. Looks even worse today.

Allisson is twice the GK De Gea is

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
A downside to being more aggressive off the line is that it comes with a greater risk of those individual errors. Which I suspect is why De Gea fared relatively well in terms of the official "errors leading to chances/goals" stats when compared to Ederson/Alisson, even over the last few years when he was making more errors than he used to.

It's still a net plus to sweep like that obviously but still.

Bobski

Did he get a touch on the Murphy shot on to the post? Hard to tell on my stream.

lost7

Our best player by a mile... we would be in the bottom half without him

Eddy_JukeZ

You know when it's bad when De Gea is running away with our player of the season again.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Fantastic save at the end. Back on top.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Only thing stopping a 3-0 win is a keeper who can organise the defence better. Damn you DDG :o

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
That save at the end was a worldie.

The ASM one was fairly straightforward due to the connection ASM made, but yeah, that one at the end was first rate

NewYorkRed

Can’t believe a decent amount of people want him replaced. He’s our best player, and one of the top, top, top shot stoppers in the game. You do not replace someone like that. End of story. He’s different class.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
That save at the end was a worldie.

The ASM one was fairly straightforward due to the connection ASM made, but yeah, that one at the end was first rate
Reminded me of VdS with dangly-leg-thing he did mid-air.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Can’t believe a decent amount of people want him replaced. He’s our best player, and one of the top, top, top shot stoppers in the game. You do not replace someone like that. End of story. He’s different class.
Yeah, but he's not a "modern goalie" who should come off his line for every single ball.

lex talionis

MOTM by 10,000 miles. I can’t even fathom the waste that would have been laid on us the last decade had we not had De Gea.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah, but he's not a "modern goalie" who should come off his line for every single ball.
Well no but he has a load of obvious flaws in his game. A good example today when he had to compete for a high ball with Ryan short arse Fraser - with no other players within 20 yards of them - and opted for a panicky punch towards touch.

I have been very harsh on him from WC 2018 till Europa League Final 2021 but this season he’s been incredible. Absolutely back to his best. Still terrible coming off his line however and with high balls.

Status
Not open for further replies.