g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
David de Gea image 1

David de Gea Spain flag

2021-22 Performances

View full 2021-22 profile

6.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oranges038

No suprise he's not in the Spain squad.

He's not suited to a team that wants to play a possession game with a high press.

It's why he needs to go from Utd.

Dan600

Two points, firstly, it's not arguable that De Gea is limited, he's the worst goalkeeper in the league for claiming crosses and the joint worst for sweeping actions - two areas where Sanchez excels. Second, the tweet you're replying to is from November last year.

On a slightly different note, Sanchez and Raya are the top two goalkeepers in the league for passes made (not counting goal kicks) which suggests their defenders are more than happy with the standard of their distribution. It's also interesting to see both of them have a higher save % than De Gea too given he is supposedly some kind of shot shopping god.
Yeah I missed the date on that, presumed being posted today it was linked to this selection, so that point is mute on my part. And over the season that may be true, but as I say the last month Brighton have been having a torrid time and Sanchez has been taking flak from fans on the brighton forum and on twitter, as well as match going fans. And the thing with Duffy was an altercation on the pitch, where they were blaming one another, and Duffy was subsequently dropped. It's entirely in that instance Duffy could have been to blame. But regardless his form/confidence seems to have taken a hit.

Based Adnan

Best paid GK in the world and so called best GK in the world according to some can't make the Spain squad

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Best paid GK in the world and so called best GK in the world according to some can't make the Spain squad
Pretty telling. If we didn't have so many other major issues in the squad that take higher priority...

Idxomer

He hasn't been anywhere near the best in the world since 2018, arguably one of the worst in the league in that period till this season.

He's a huge problem just like Maguire and fans should judge the new manager on how he's gonna deal with him.

sillwuka

Love Dave, he's saved us countless times over the years.

He would have been displaced if we had a better reserve goalkeeper in the wings but that's just not the case.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Hard to see how he'd fit in to a new manager's system being rooted to line. Completely at odds with the team we want to be.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Best goalkeeper in the league according to some :lol:

His limitations are far too obvious, he won’t suit the club if they want to progress forward into a modern style of play.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
My mate has a theory of why is he so bad at ball playing. Basically karma has played it's part. He stole a doughnut at the beginning of his ManUnited career and got away with it. Now near the end of his ManUnited career he can't learn how to be a ball playing GK. A fair trade off.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Key point is that he can both be a net positive for us this season (which he has been) while not being a net positive for the team we'd like to turn into.

It's not an accident that Liverpool and City have ended up with the goalkeepers they have. It's simply what their set-up demands. If we want a similar set-up, we need similar keepers.

Foxbatt

I know that he is not suited to a keeper who can pass the ball.
But without him we would be in worse shite this season.

UnitedFan93

I know that he is not suited to a keeper who can pass the ball.
But without him we would be in worse shite this season.
Maybe we would be better without him also? The defence has been a mess this season, and he's apart of that mess.

DavelinaJolie

I mean it's always felt that the worse the team is the more valuable he has become and I it makes sense because it plays into his key strength.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Love Dave, he's saved us countless times over the years.

He would have been displaced if we had a better reserve goalkeeper in the wings but that's just not the case.
Henderson was comfortably better than him last season. It appeared likely that Dean was going to start this season as #1 but he got hit with a bad case of Covid at the worst possible time. De Gea got back into some great shot-stopping form, and unfortunately Dean really hasn't had a chance again since.

It's very rare that a club has a better reserve goalkeeper than him.

United in sin

Henderson was comfortably better than him last season. It appeared likely that Dean was going to start this season as #1 but he got hit with a bad case of Covid at the worst possible time. De Gea got back into some great shot-stopping form, and unfortunately Dean really hasn't had a chance again since.

It's very rare that a club has a better reserve goalkeeper than him.
If Henderson was more suited to the teams style under Rangknick he'd have been awarded more chances. He's a tiny keeper who'll make it at a lower PL level club on my opinion. United will purchase a more suitable stopper to replace De Gea when he retires

Pickle85

Henderson is a classic example of a player that gets better the less he plays. See also Amad and DvdB.

crossy1686

career ending
I’ve wanted Dave gone since the fax machine feckup because I don’t feel he’s justified his wage since that point. Albeit he’s been good again this season but we should have found ourselves a quality replacement years ago. Now a new GK is so far down our list of priorities he’ll be here until his late 30’s.

Classical Mechanic

I’ve wanted Dave gone since the fax machine feckup because I don’t feel he’s justified his wage since that point. Albeit he’s been good again this season but we should have found ourselves a quality replacement years ago. Now a new GK is so far down our list of priorities he’ll be here until his late 30’s.
£30m plus Navas was a great deal for us too!

Red_toad

If Henderson was more suited to the teams style under Rangknick he'd have been awarded more chances. He's a tiny keeper who'll make it at a lower PL level club on my opinion. United will purchase a more suitable stopper to replace De Gea when he retires
4cm shorter than Dave, yeah tiny…. Deals with crosses better than Dave, sweeps better than Dave, slightly better with the ball at his feet and not as good at shot stopping. Personally thought he made the defence better last season as a unit. Whatever’s going on this year is partly down to Dave, he could help his defenders far more. if we’re waiting for him to retire before we replace him, we’ll be unsuccessful for another 5 years plus.

Pickle85

Navas never wanted the move, did he? They couldn't have forced him to accept it and, even if they could, AdM is a solid reminder of how bad having a player that doesn't want to be there can be.

gajender

If that's the case then we would continue to struggle and we should just give up any pretense of being a top club capable of winning any major trophies till then as well because De Gea is major liability for any defense .

Oranges038

Personally thought he made the defence better last season as a unit.
He did, all the stats and performance metrics showed that.

But that Salah goal is all anyone with anything bad to say remembers about his performances, they choose to ignore that he on average kept more clean sheets, had a higher save %, conceded less shots on goal with him. And as a result conceded less goals and won more games.

It just shows that even a keeper like Henderson, who many on here think is fairly average, with better all round abilities is just much better for the team overall than DDG. To me that says a lot more about DDG than it does about Henderson.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
4cm shorter than Dave, yeah tiny…. Deals with crosses better than Dave, sweeps better than Dave, slightly better with the ball at his feet and not as good at shot stopping. Personally thought he made the defence better last season as a unit. Whatever’s going on this year is partly down to Dave, he could help his defenders far more. if we’re waiting for him to retire before we replace him, we’ll be unsuccessful for another 5 years plus.
He probably did. But then De Gea wasn't in anywhere near as good shot-stopping form to compensate last season as he is this season. Henderson would have had to improve a lot to have a similarly better overall impact than De Gea this season. Which is why De Gea has secured the #1 spot.

Problem is that shot-stopping form won't last. And even if it does, its impact will be reduced the more the team in front of him improves.

Also that's comparing him to Henderson, a relatively average goalkeeper. There are other goalkeepers out there who are better than Henderson and would offer a big improvement on De Gea even in peak shot-stopping form.

Lee565

There's the saying of to build a title winning side you build from the back and the gk is the very first point of the back and is why we won't be top side with de gea as that first point, look at the turn around when pep and klopp made changes to their gk position.

Fans are really over estimating how hard it is to replace de gea, there are plenty of shot stoppers out there as good as de gea and that is all he excels at, just look at how easy chelsea found it to get a competent goalkeeper without breaking the bank.

I would still prefer Henderson over de gea as he still puts us on a path of a more progressive style tactically and as seen with England and City under pep, despite the errors that lead to goals from first implementing playing out from the back, they had to endure those teething problems to reap the rewards in the long term

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
There's the saying of to build a title winning side you build from the back and the gk is the very first point of the back and is why we won't be top side with de gea as that first point, look at the turn around when pep and klopp made changes to their gk position.

Fans are really over estimating how hard it is to replace de gea, there are plenty of shot stoppers out there as good as de gea and that is all he excels at, just look at how easy chelsea found it to get a competent goalkeeper without breaking the bank.

I would still prefer Henderson over de gea as he still puts us on a path of a more progressive style tactically and as seen with England and City under pep, despite the errors that lead to goals from first implementing playing out from the back, they had to endure those teething problems to reap the rewards in the long term
Think that's going too far the other way.

De Gea is one of the best pure shot-stoppers in Europe. There's no point in downplaying how good the one positive aspect of his game is. The issue is whether he's one of the best all-round goalkeepers and he isn't.

But even then, as we saw in our struggles to replace Schmeichel, there's more to being a United goalkeeper than just what you offer on paper. I could point to someone like Robert Sanchez as being a better all-round keeper on paper but that's without knowing his personality and how he will handle the step up from Brighton to United. And whatever else we might say about De Gea, he showed uncommon mental strength to stick through two different spells of the sort of heavy criticism that would (and has) seen other goalkeepers buckle at United, which is a quality neither stats nor just watching games would tell you. You also need proper scouting into what they're like off the pitch and how they're likely to cope under that pressure spotlight, as we had when we signed De Gea.

There are better goalkeepers than him out there but picking the right one isn't that easy. We don't want to go through another period of changing goalkeepers every few seasons.

I mean you mention how easy Chelsea found it to find a goalkeeper, but that came after they wasted a record transfer fee on Kepa who is much worse than De Gea. With everything else we need to do, wasting £60m+ or whatever on someone who doesn't make it would be quite a big problem.

Last edited:

United in sin

Height does not govern everything to do with size. Henderson has a smaller frame, similar to Kepa over at Chelsea who to me has never looked imposing in goal. I've always thought so and I'm not the first to express this. Henderson is decent but he's not infallible and nowhere near world class which is what united should be aiming for in goal after De Gea's time comes to an end. Henderson is almost 25 and is yet to push De Gea out of contention.

Solskjaer toyed with him and never made the definitive call on the number one position despite unofficial claims that Henderson would begin this season between the sticks. Why would Rangknick come in and immediately dead that noise and give Henderson even less time than he got last season? He had more than enough time to analyze the situation and didn't see fit to drop De Gea.

I expect De Gea to continue in his role with the next permanent manager barring a sharp and sustained decline in form. Not many high profile managers have come in out the gate at new clubs doing what Pep did to Joe Hart at city for instance. I doubt even Ten Hag if hired will see the goalkeeping position as an immediate priority considering all the pressing issues in other areas of the pitch which will take precedence. I guess time will tell but I'm betting on De Gea to maintain his place despite all the calls from armchair critics to have him dislodged

Last edited:

Wilt

£19.5m per year = £375,000 per week = £53,500 per day

29 prem games, 40 goals conceded ….what a joke

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
De Gea doesn't make the defence better.

He can just stop goals very well purely by reflexes.

De gea invites the pressure and then makes reflex saves.

The best goalkeepers and defences won't have to make reflex saves and would be doing things more proactively.

The moment our next manager changes our GK - I'd feel more positive for the season.

izec

De Gea doesn't make the defence better.

He can just stop goals very well purely by reflexes.

De gea invites the pressure and then makes reflex saves.

The best goalkeepers and defences won't have to make reflex saves and would be doing things more proactively
Similar to AWB doing slide tackles most of the time and offering nothing else. An occasional tackle is fine, if that is however you main trait, then you are a shit RB for Man United. Lower level RB he is.

Pickle85

Similar to AWB doing slide tackles most of the time and offering nothing else. An occasional tackle is fine, if that is however you main trait, then you are a shit RB for Man United. Lower level RB he is.
Agreed, DdG is definitely a terrible RB.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Yep, I call him the AWB of the goalkeepers. Literally the same player.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Had an argument in some different thread where I stated anyone who really understands the game will know that De Gea is a massive problem for us, for any team that wants to dominate. But according to some on here he's a great. I suppose Luis Enrique is also an idiot who has an agenda against De Gea.

The sooner we as a team and fanbase, move away from lauding players who produce fantastic moments, ala Bruno, De Gea, Rashford ( the last 2 seasons) to appreciating players who produce consistency, the better off we will be.

Pickle85

Had an argument in some different thread where I stated anyone who really understands the game will know that De Gea is a massive problem for us, for any team that wants to dominate. But according to some on here he's a great. I suppose Luis Enrique is also an idiot who has an agenda against De Gea.

The sooner we as a team and fanbase, move away from lauding players who produce fantastic moments, ala Bruno, De Gea, Rashford ( the last 2 seasons) to appreciating players who produce consistency, the better off we will be.
This sort of comment always makes me smile.

United in sin

£19.5m per year = £375,000 per week = £53,500 per day

29 prem games, 40 goals conceded ….what a joke
Maguire alone is individually culpable for conceded goals in double digits this season, but you see fit to ignore that context and lay all the blame at De Gea's feet for the back lines overall fragility.

In the midst of all this De Gea was the first goalkeeper to win premier league player of the month (in January) since 2016 when Fraser Forster was the recipient of that accolade. Your criticism is a joke and a reflection of so many in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.