Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The gap between De Gea and the actual best goalkeeper in the league fully evident.

Not that De Gea was a prime culprit today. But even those who weren't primarily at fault are a gulf apart.

Dinesh Tomar

Any proactive keeper there and at least two out of the 4 goals won’t be conceded. How people or our managers don’t see this? If Klopp or pep were our managers, DDG won’t be playing for us, I am pretty sure about that. Watch all four goals and only mane one is unsavable., the rest are all soft goals which could be avoided by a more aggressive goalie. If we keep playing him, no matter who the manager is , we will keep struggling like this.

Skills

Snitch
Any proactive keeper there and at least two out of the 4 goals won’t be conceded. How people or our managers don’t see this? If Klopp or pep were our managers, DDG won’t be playing for us, I am pretty sure about that. Watch all four goals and only mane one is unsavable., the rest are all soft goals which could be avoided by a more aggressive goalie. If we keep playing him, no matter who the manager is , we will keep struggling like this.
Which of the 2 goals?

Dinesh Tomar

Which of the 2 goals?
Any two of the rest especially the first and the last one . If his starting position is more advanced and he is brave enough , he could have saved those two. For Salah goal , he didn’t put any effort to save it. He just let it go meekly. Another good team which has suffered last few years because of a weak goalie is Tottenham. If they had a braver goalie they would have won something for sure. There is a reason we have been conceding so many goals during DDG time here. We always seem to concede on our first couple of chances in many matches which puts on the Blackfoot straightaway. Those two chances of Rashford could tell you the difference. If their strikers had those chances, we would have conceded at least one of them because he doesn’t want to come out to catch or thwart the striker. He is one of the major reasons we are not consistent over all these years. I hope next manager see this problem otherwise we will keep going in circles.

Classical Mechanic

The gap between De Gea and the actual best goalkeeper in the league fully evident.

Not that De Gea was a prime culprit today. But even those who weren't primarily at fault are a gulf apart.
I thought the Rashford chance in the first half was interesting. Many people will slag Rashford for not doing better but Allison's starting position was so high that it meant that Rashford had to be pretty much perfect with his first touch. It puts more pressure on the attacker and thus makes it harder for the player to score. DDG wouldn't position himself like that which gives the attacker a bigger chance at goal.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

This is why I want De Gea out.

As great as he can be at stopping a goal through saving of a shot - he has no ability to be in sync with his defenders.

De Gea not only causes one less man in defence - I feel like he almost covers and hides the defenders negativity that needs to be improved proactively purely due to the way he plays in such a reflexive/reflective way.

We may be wondered by De Gea saving a shot - but should that shot have happened at all? Could that shot have been stopped by the defenders instead? What if they were able to get further up the pitch?

When De gea leaves, we won't be successful straight away - we might sign our next Barthez or Howard; but eventually we will find a goalkeeper that is more all rounded and it will lead to a proper defence; hopefully a GK good enough to be in sync with their defenders & win a league.

For me, the quicker this happens the better. De Gea & Jones are the only SAF players left that didn't leave our club like Ronaldo. It genuinely feels to me like him leaving would be the start of a new generation here at United. No hiding anymore. A defence that can't rely on the legendary reflex of De Gea; but at the same time a defence that can rely on many more aspects of a goalkeeper.

Oranges038

There was an instance in the second half where Rashford was played in and Liverpool were defending 40 yards from goal and they just knew Allison would be there to mop up and he was. That's how important it us to have a keeper moving up with the line.

For Salah's 2 goals, the line is about 25 yards out and he's stuck in his 6. Compare that to the Rashford and AWB chances and you see the difference starting position makes.

His passing was atrocious too.

grahamo

De Gea is a good shot stopper. That's it! His positioning is terrible! His distribution is terrible! His ledership qualities are poor. Really poor!

edgecutter

He's not a problem (yet), but it's evident that we are over paying for his services when you see the likes of Allison yesterday.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Never mind sweeping outside his box, he literally never sweeps up inside his box! There was an incident in the second half where a through ball was played into our box in the inside left channel. Dalot read it (for once!) and was sort of ushering the ball towards our goal for De Gea to slide out and gather. Which is what every other goalkeeper in the league would have done. Sure enough, that doesn’t happen. Dalot’s understandable hesitation puts himself under pressure and he ends up forced to concede a throw-in, deep in our half. When we should have been starting our next attack instead.

I used to play in goals. There would usually be at least one incident per game where I had to slide out to claim the ball at the feet of an attacker and/or defender. That’s just what goalkeepers do. Sometimes you get kicked. Very occasionally the striker nicks the ball past you and you concede a pen. Shit happens. But the alternative of never taking advantage of using your hands in that situation would put your team at a crazy disadvantage.

Can anyone remember De Gea ever sliding out like that? Against any opposition? How can that level of self preservation be acceptable in the position he plays?

I think there are bigger issues than De Gea right now, but it's no coincidence that he looks his best when the team is otherwise a shambles and conceding several big chances a game. There have been periods over recent years when we've conceded relatively few chances (and so allowed him less opportunities to show his shot-stopping ability) and his weaknesses have been glaring.

For me he's the Goalkeeping equivalent of Wan Bissaka. Can pull out an amazing save (/tackle) of world class standard but is otherwise average (or worse) in ever other aspect of their role on the pitch.

gajender

He's not a problem (yet), but it's evident that we are over paying for his services when you see the likes of Allison yesterday.
So the keeper who can't even do the basics right isn't a problem , sooner we dump him better it would be .

redshaw

This is why I want De Gea out.

As great as he can be at stopping a goal through saving of a shot - he has no ability to be in sync with his defenders.

De Gea not only causes one less man in defence - I feel like he almost covers and hides the defenders negativity that needs to be improved proactively purely due to the way he plays in such a reflexive/reflective way.

We may be wondered by De Gea saving a shot - but should that shot have happened at all? Could that shot have been stopped by the defenders instead? What if they were able to get further up the pitch?

When De gea leaves, we won't be successful straight away - we might sign our next Barthez or Howard; but eventually we will find a goalkeeper that is more all rounded and it will lead to a proper defence; hopefully a GK good enough to be in sync with their defenders & win a league.

For me, the quicker this happens the better. De Gea & Jones are the only SAF players left that didn't leave our club like Ronaldo. It genuinely feels to me like him leaving would be the start of a new generation here at United. No hiding anymore. A defence that can't rely on the legendary reflex of De Gea; but at the same time a defence that can rely on many more aspects of a goalkeeper.
This is what LVG was trying to get at but the club and fanbase wouldn't accept it. LVG wanted to move De Gea on.

If ETH comes in he has to be backed in decisions. No more of this he can't be sold stuff. What's worse is years later after LVG, United make De Gea the highest paid player in the league and made a rod for our own back. We paid a ridiculous sum of money for slow defender. We have so many ill fitting players on big money. You can tell the players blame each other and the club is stuck hoping this mismatch of big fees and salaries start gelling. It's a broken jigsaw puzzle that no-one wants to admit to.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
He's far from the biggest problem, but I think he'll need to be replaced before our rebuild is complete.

gajender

Surely the basics of a keeper is to stop shots? Which is pretty much where he is at his best.
That's such simplistic take where to begin DeGea cowardice creates half the situations which could be easily dealt with if he can be pro active and while he makes some good saves most of them would be made by any half decent keeper , he is a liability outside few camera saves his supporters cling on to .

Lyng

That's such simplistic take where to begin DeGea cowardice creates half the situations which could be easily dealt with if he can be pro active and while he makes some good saves most of them would be made by any half decent keeper , he is a liability outside few camera saves his supporters cling on to .
While I agree he should be more proactive, I do believe his shot stopping gets underrated here often. The idea that any half decent keeper could do that is ludicrous.

gajender

While I agree he should be more proactive, I do believe his shot stopping gets underrated here often. The idea that any half decent keeper could do that is ludicrous.
Barring few shots it's actually closer to truth than many are willing to admit .

Oranges038

Never mind sweeping outside his box, he literally never sweeps up inside his box! There was an incident in the second half where a through ball was played into our box in the inside left channel. Dalot read it (for once!) and was sort of ushering the ball towards our goal for De Gea to slide out and gather. Which is what every other goalkeeper in the league would have done. Sure enough, that doesn’t happen. Dalot’s understandable hesitation puts himself under pressure and he ends up forced to concede a throw-in, deep in our half. When we should have been starting our next attack instead.

I used to play in goals. There would usually be at least one incident per game where I had to slide out to claim the ball at the feet of an attacker and/or defender. That’s just what goalkeepers do. Sometimes you get kicked. Very occasionally the striker nicks the ball past you and you concede a pen. Shit happens. But the alternative of never taking advantage of using your hands in that situation would put your team at a crazy disadvantage.

Can anyone remember De Gea ever sliding out like that? Against any opposition? How can that level of self preservation be acceptable in the position he plays?
I don't think people understand how much pressure a keeper relieves from the defence by doing simple things like claiming crosses and sweeping.

Part of being a goalkeeper is putting your body on the line in certain situations, it's just necessary to try and stop a goal. Yeah, you will get hurt, it happens, I've busted my knee, my nose, my lip, my fingers been knocked out and got studs in all manner of places. It's all part of the game.

I've personally never seen him put his body on the line, or dive at a players feet. Last night he threw one out after a Mane header and lay on the ground like he was after getting smashed. He's just a coward, the way he just lay on the ground at Arsenal confirmed that.

gajender

Often those few shots every match is what now means we are not in a relegation spot.
We won't be playing without a keeper for feck sake and how many of those super saves are direct result of his reluctance to leave the line and his diffidence just go figure .

DickDastardly

It all comes back to this.

I was saying months ago we should start Henderson on goal because he's more vocal and more proactive.

I was ridiculed, and everytime De Gea made a save (he did pull out some magnificient saves) people would always come back with a smart comeback "yeah, we should have played Henderson".

We need to upgrade on David as well unfortunately.

JB7

Pathetic goalkeeping for the first goal, a proper goalkeeper deals with the ball twice before it's put in the net (ball over the top given his starting position, yet he dithered like feck and dropped back like he always does and the ball across to Diaz is slow and easy to deal with) and yet ironically it's the highest probability xG goal of the night because of how simple the chance is once it arrives at Diaz's foot. To go further, the theme across goals 1, 2 and 4 is just how easy he makes the finish for the attacker by making himself small, as a goalkeeper you need to get at the attacker to close the angles which he does not do and you need to make your body wide by spreading, which again he does not do, he turns his body onto the angle so he actually makes himself smaller. Nobodies necessarily expecting him to save those shots but you have to at least make it difficult for the strikers but he's such a coward that he does everything to avoid getting hurt at all costs. I said it after we played Liverpool in October and I'll repeat, how anyone can watch him and Allisson on the same pitch and not realise just how badly we need a new goalkeeper is beyond me. He is a massive, massive problem.

izec

Often those few shots every match is what now means we are not in a relegation spot.
The issue with only saving shots is you dont win titles. The best teams in the world dont have keepers that only save shots. They have keepers that save shots and more. They have strikers that score goals and bust a gut for 90 minutes. They have midfielders that not only create, but hussle and press.Defenders that not only defend, but create and attack. Fullbacks that not only do tackles, but cross, pass, can head a ball and shoot.

If you have a keeper that only saves shots, you wont win anything, you wont even challenge for the good trophies. De Gea only has that. No communication, not good at crosses, no authority, not in sync with his defenders, not good at passing, not good at anticipating, not coming out for balls. In 2022, it is unacceptable.

Same for our strikers, defenders and midfielders. You need to be good at everything nowadays, or close to as possible. Only being good at something specific and being shit in everything else wont get you far these days, as the other top teams in 2022 set the bar, not the teams from 2005.

VDS and Schmeichel were more complete than De Gea ever was or will be, and that was quite a while ago. The club and the fans are still outdated. The City and Pool games show you exactly what the level and standard is or should be. Not only for GKs, but across the pitch and manager as well.

Lyng

We won't be playing without a keeper for feck sake and how many of those super saves are direct result of his reluctance to leave the line and his diffidence just go figure .
Most of them are the result of the trainwreck named Maguire in front of him.

I do think we need to change keeper, but we have far more urgent issues that need addressing before that.

The Oracle

After 3 minutes 30 seconds, De Gea had his first involvement in the game... a no problem pass back to him from Phil Jones, and what does De Gea do? He controls the ball, and then under no pressure he attempted to pass out to the left-wing to Dalot, but instead of going to Dalot, De Gea kicked the ball straight out of play. It was a really easy pass to make to Dalot. De Gea didn’t make the pass.

Around 1 minute later (4 minutes 39 seconds on the clock) Liverpool scored.

To break this down in the simplest way possible:
  • De Gea’s first involvement in the match was him needlessly kicking the ball out of play
  • Around a minute later Liverpool scored

For anyone who thinks that De Gea’s distribution is NOT a problem, please be fair on the supporters who think that it is, and go and watch back from 3 minutes 30 seconds to 4 minutes 39 seconds of last night’s match.

The defeat last night was STARTED from De Gea.

Born2Lose

It's not just the rushing out that Liverpool and City have over us, they've also got another body in the defence who is competent with the ball as an additional outlet for a defender being pressed.

How many goals this season have we conceded trying to play like City and Liverpool without a goalie capable of doing it? I can remember one straight away against Leicester away where Maguire got caught out.

flameinthesun

He is the least of our problems, but still a problem due to his distribution and should be replaced once we have filled the other more urgent positions. Allison on 2 or 3 occasions made passes mcfred good only dream of... We should have a bought a young ball playing gk a couple years ago as understudy to de gea.

GMoore23

Ralf has come out as saying almost every position needs improved upon bar the Goalkeeper. I still firmly believe De Gea is one of our biggest problems. Yes his shot stopping is looking great again this season but every other part of his game is average or worse. Plus, he's always been a good shot stopper when we're shit and he's being bombarded with shots. Don't forget we finished 2nd in the league last season, only 12 points behind City and in my opinion, De Gea easily cost us those 12 points. He's a bottler when the chips are truly down. I don't forget the Europa League final either.

The Oracle

It was night and day the difference between the goalkeepers last night:
Alisson is a proactive goalkeeper, whereas De Gea is not.

There was even a moment from a cross or a corner where De Gea chose to punch the ball when it was so much easier to catch the ball. It was really strange, almost as if he was scared of getting clattered if he did try and catch the ball, so instead he just punched it away. In the nicest way possible to him, it showed that he lacks courage.

There are a lot of problems at Manchester United at the moment, and regardless of what anyone says, De Gea is one of those problems (whatever order of problem he is, he is STILL a problem).

Fabian Keller

He has no balls. That's the biggest problem.

Yeah our defenders are a bunch of softies, but all confidence stems from the keeper and De Gea has none. Could probably try and steal his girl in the club and he'd do nothing about it. Would you do it to Manuel Neuer? Take a chance on Allison's missus? I don't think so.

So easy to see...

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

The article from The Athletic is brutal on De Gea. Ten Hag's first major problem will be finding a way to ditch these wages on the bench, in the stands or out of the club: https://theathletic.com/3246971/202...en-hag-will-need-to-fix-at-manchester-united/

If I was Ten Hag, I'd be getting in touch with Henderson and giving him firm assurance that he will start the pre-season as my preferred keeper. I'd use the summer focussing on other transfers and finally give Henderson the opportunity to sink or swim. If he can't deliver what he needs, you then look to get another keeper in January or the following summer. You don't try and build a possession-oriented side with De Gea, and handicap yourself by only having ten footballers on the field.

One of the most important calls Guardiola made at City was to jettison Joe Hart, like De Gea much loved but shite on the ball. United will be serious about their rebuild when they have a manager who does the same.

Last edited:

The Oracle

I’ve had a look at our heaviest defeats in the Premier League when De Gea has been in goal.
The stats from those matches are damning...

Man Utd 1-6 Man City
(Man City shots on target = 7)

Man Utd 1-6 Spurs
(Spurs shots on target = 8)

Man Utd 0-5 Liverpool
(Liverpool shots on target = 8)

Liverpool 4-0 Man Utd
(Liverpool shots on target = 5)

28 shots on target at De Gea... 21 goals conceded

De Gea conceded 75% of the shots he faced on target in the matches above.
That translates to 3 out of every 4 shots on target going in.

He is paid £375,000 per week to be the goalkeeper of Manchester United.
It is a disgrace.

Would Ederson have conceded that many goals from the shots on target?
Would Alisson have conceded that many goals from the shots on target?
Would Mendy have conceded that many goals from the shots on target?

No. No. No again.

We may as well replace him with a traffic cone.

Sylar

After 3 minutes 30 seconds, De Gea had his first involvement in the game... a no problem pass back to him from Phil Jones, and what does De Gea do? He controls the ball, and then under no pressure he attempted to pass out to the left-wing to Dalot, but instead of going to Dalot, De Gea kicked the ball straight out of play. It was a really easy pass to make to Dalot. De Gea didn’t make the pass.

Around 1 minute later (4 minutes 39 seconds on the clock) Liverpool scored.

To break this down in the simplest way possible:
  • De Gea’s first involvement in the match was him needlessly kicking the ball out of play
  • Around a minute later Liverpool scored

For anyone who thinks that De Gea’s distribution is NOT a problem, please be fair on the supporters who think that it is, and go and watch back from 3 minutes 30 seconds to 4 minutes 39 seconds of last night’s match.

The defeat last night was STARTED from De Gea.
And literally 10 seconds before that Allison is turning past Bruno to start a Liverpool attack using both his feet

It's annoying to see the big difference

Sylar

The article from The Athletic is brutal on De Gea. Ten Hag's first major problem will be finding a way to ditch these wages on the bench, in the stands or out of the club: https://theathletic.com/3246971/202...en-hag-will-need-to-fix-at-manchester-united/

If I was Ten Hag, I'd be getting in touch with Henderson and giving him firm assurance that he will start the pre-season as my preferred keeper. I'd use the summer focussing on other transfers and finally give Henderson the opportunity to sink or swim. If he can't deliver what he needs, you then look to get another keeper in January or the following summer. You don't try and build a possession-oriented side with De Gea, and handicap yourself by only having ten footballers on the field.

One of the most important calls Guardiola made at City was to jettison Joe Hart, like De Gea much loved but shite on the ball. United will be serious about their rebuild when they have a manager who does the same.
Im certain pep made his mind up before even the season started. He wasn't given a chance as a club experienced player or legend or whatever. Pep identified it and whilst the replacement didn't work out, the one who replaced him did

Same with Klopp trying karius instead of mignolet who was then replaced by Allison.

We need to sort the spine out and it starts with the keeper

Idxomer

One year on his contract, let's see if any of those changes in the club are real.

LawCharltonBest

Enjoys watching fox porn
GKs who start the play are the way the game is going. EtH knows that.

The only reason De Gea will survive this summer as 1st choice will be because there's so many players that need signing more urgently.

If Dea Gea was GK at City or Liverpool and EtH was taking over, I can bet a GK would be their #1 target

Based Adnan

I don't see how people fail to recognize he is a problem. And then you have those people who do recognize that but say he's not the biggest problem so it's fine for now as if the club is incapable of addressing multiple issues at once. A modern number 1 this summer is a must.

Status
Not open for further replies.